Powered 3.1-channel sound bar with wireless subwoofer and Bluetooth®
Our take on the Samsung HW-M550 by Crutchfield's Jeff Miller
Loud and clear dialogue
It almost seems like movie and TV dialogue is an afterthought these days — and I'm not just talking about in the script! I find it very hard to hear characters talking on my TV's built-in speakers. The Samsung HW-M550 sound bar solves this problem with a dedicated center channel for clear speech that's easy to understand. Sound effects and music get a serious boost, too, thanks to the six built-in drivers and separate wireless subwoofer.
- slim sound bar fits below most TVs on a stand
- 60 watts RMS x 3 channels
- dedicated center channel for clear dialogue
- six built-in drivers
- built-in Bluetooth for wireless music streaming from compatible smartphones, tablets, and computers
- SoundConnect feature lets you wirelessly connect your compatible Samsung TV to the sound bar via Bluetooth
- Dolby® Digital and DTS® decoding
- add optional Samsung SWA-8500S wireless speaker kit for full surround sound
- 5 listening modes: Music, Movie, Clear Voice, Sports, and Standard Mode
- Dynamic Range Control setting can help prevent drastic changes in volume
- 39-7/8"W x 2-1/16"H x -1/2"D
- weight: 4.4 lbs.
- 160 watts RMS
- bass-reflex (ported) enclosure delivers powerful bass response
- connects wirelessly to sound bar for easy placement
- AC power connection required (power cable included)
- 7-15/16"W x 15-3/8"H x 14-15/16"D
- weight: 15.9 lbs.
Connections and General Info:
- HDMI in/out with Audio Return Channel
- 3D video pass-through via HDMI (up to 1080p)
- optical digital audio input
- USB port lets you play digital music files from a thumb drive
- bracket and hardware included for mounting bar to a wall
- Anynet (HDMI-CEC) function lets you control sound bar with your Samsung TV's remote
- remote control with subwoofer level control
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- Active soundbar speaker (HW-M550)
- Wireless powered subwoofer (PS-WM30)
- AC Power adapter (attached 58" DC cord)
- Two 5' AC power cords
- Remote control (AH59-02758A)
- 2 "AA" batteries
- 58" Optical digital cable
- 2 Wall-mount brackets
- 2 Holders
- 2 Screws
- User Manual
This is truly "plug and play " at its best. Matched with a Samsung UM65MU7000 led TV. Plugged it in and everything auto connected. Works and sound great. Love it.
M, Phoenica NY
Samsung HW-M550 Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|Enclosure||Sealed (bar),Ported (sub)|
|Pieces in System||2|
|Surround Sound Decoding||5.1-channel|
|4K Video Compatible||No|
|HDR Video Compatible||No|
|Audio Return Channel||Yes|
|Remote IR Passthrough||No|
|Works with TV Remote (IR)||No|
|Control by App||Android|
|Bluetooth Connectivity||Built-in (2.1)|
|Mounting Bracket Included||Yes|
|Surface Mount Stand Included||No|
|Speaker Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Speaker Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|Amplifier Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Amplifier Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|System Frequency Response||40-20k Hz|
|Sound Bar RMS Power||180 watts|
|Subwoofer RMS Power||160 watts|
|Inputs and Outputs|
|Mini Stereo Audio Inputs||1|
|RCA Stereo Audio Inputs||None|
|Optical Digital Audio Inputs||1|
|Coaxial Digital Audio Inputs||None|
|Sound Bar (inches)||2-1/8H x 39-13/16W x 3-7/16D|
|Sound Bar Weight||5.7 lbs|
|Subwoofer (inches)||15-7/16H x 7-15/16W x 15-1/16D|
|Subwoofer Weight||15.9 lbs|
Active Soundbar Speaker: The soundbar is a self-powered, three-channel speaker with dedicated left, right and center channels to provide enveloping virtual surround sound from a single speaker. Each channel consists of a tweeter and midrange driver for a total of three tweeters and three midrange drivers - all housed in an acoustic suspension (sealed) enclosure. The soundbar features a built-in 180 watt amplifier to drive its speakers (30 watts to each driver).
Wireless Powered Sub: The wireless powered sub receives its low-frequency audio signal wirelessly from the soundbar via 2.4GHz transmission. There are no cords to connect, except the AC power cord. The wireless powered sub features a front-firing 7" woofer inside a bass-reflex cabinet with a front-firing port. The woofer is powered by a built-in 160 watt amplifier.
Surround Sound Decoding: The Samsung HW-M550 soundbar system employs decoders compatible with Dolby Digital (5.1ch) & DTS (2ch), as well as Samsung's proprietary surround & effect modes.
- Surround Sound Expansions: The Surround Sound Expansion delivers a more realistic and immersive audio experience by adding depth and spaciousness to the movie soundtrack.
- Sound Effects: Select from 5 different sound effects modes (Standard, Music, Movie, Clear Voice, & Sports), depending on the type of content you want to enjoy. The Clear Voice mode enhances dialog & vocals.
- DRC (Dynamic Range Control): A Dolby Digital soundtrack's dynamic range is compressed making it easier to hear at lower volume levels.
Audio Settings: The Samsung HW-M550 soundbar system provides various audio adjustments to customize your listening experience.
- AV Sync: AV Sync can be used to help sync video to audio when connected to a digital HDTV. Video may look slower than the audio if it is connected to a digital TV. If this occurs, you can adjust the audio delay time to match the video. You can adjust the AV Sync from 0 to 300ms.
- Equalizer: You can independently adjust the system's Bass & Treble (-6 to +6), or you can go a step further and adjust the system's 7-band EQ (150, 300, 600, 1.2k, 2.5k, 5.0k, 10.0k Hz) from -6 to +6.
- Subwoofer Level: You can independently adjust the volume of the wireless powered subwoofer from -12 to +6, using the system's remote control.
Mounting Options: The slim, compact Samsung HW-M550's soundbar can be mounted on the wall with the included wall-mount brackets (wall screws not supplied) or simply placed on a table-top, while the wireless powered subwoofer can be positioned anywhere in the room (up to 32.8' away from soundbar) to achieve maximum audio performance.
Optional Wireless Surround Kit: The optional SWA-8500S Wireless Surround Kit (305SWA85KS, sold separately) lets you add rear speakers to the HW-M550 soundbar system without all the wires. Together with the HW-M550, you can create a 4.1 channel system for a true surround sound experience. The SWA-8500S Wireless Surround Kit consists of a wireless receiver module and two rear speakers. The wireless receiver module receives a wireless audio signal from the HW-M550 soundbar, so you don't have to run speaker wire from the soundbar to the rear speakers. The wireless receiver module does have to connect to an AC wall outlet via its power cord and to the rear speakers via two speaker cables.
HDMI Input/Output: The soundbar of the Samsung HW-M550 wireless audio soundbar system is fitted with an HDMI 1.4 input and HDMI 1.4 output. HDMI transmits video and audio signals simultaneously for a simpler connection, and provides a clearer picture and better sound. The unit's HDMI input and output support 1080p and 3D-video pass-through. The HDMI output also supports ARC (Audio Return Channel). You should connect your Blu-ray player or satellite/cable box directly to the HW-M550's HDMI input and then connect the soundbar system's HDMI output to your flat-panel TV's ARC-enabled HDMI input.
- 1080P Pass-Through: The HDMI jacks support up to 1080p video pass-through (not 4K).
- Dolby Digital & DTS Compatible: The HDMI input/output support Dolby Digital (5.1ch) and DTS (2ch).
- 3D Ready: The HW-M550 can pass through 3D video from 3D-ready Blu-ray players to 3D-ready TVs, via HDMI (1.4). You will also need compatible 3D-ready glasses and 3D-video content.
- ARC: The unit's HDMI output also supports the ARC function. This allows you to connect your Blu-ray/DVD player or satellite/cable box directly to the system's HDMI input and connect the system's HDMI output to your television for audio from the wireless audio soundbar system or your TV. Your TV must also be ARC compatible.
Note: With some televisions, the ARC-enabled HDMI input will pass Dolby Digital/DTS or 2ch PCM from the TV's built-in tuner, network connection or USB port. However, the ARC-enabled HDMI input can only pass 2ch PCM from devices connected to the TV via HDMI or analog.
Digital & Analog Audio Inputs: The Samsung HW-M550 soundbar system features both digital (optical) and analog (3.5mm) audio inputs.
- Optical Digital Input: The Samsung HW-M550's soundbar is equipped with an optical (toslink) digital input to connect your television, Blu-ray/DVD player, or satellite/cable box. The optical digital input supports Dolby Digital (5.1ch) & DTS (2ch). The optical digital output of some flat-panel TVs only send a Dolby Digital audio signal when receiving Dolby Digital surround sound from the TV's built-in tuner, network connection, or connected USB device; and will output only 2ch PCM from sources connected to the TV via HDMI, or RCA (like your Blue-ray/DVD player or satellite/cable box).
- Aux Input: The Samsung HW-M550 's soundbar also features a stereo audio minijack (3.5mm) input to connect your analog television or other analog audio component.
Note: To get the best audio performance out of the Samsung HW-M550, use the system's HDMI input and optical digital input to connect your Blu-ray player and satellite/cable box. Then connect the system's HDMI output to your TV's HDMI ARC input. By connecting your Blu-ray player and satellite/cable box directly to the soundbar system, you'll gain Dolby Digital/DTS decoding from these two sources.
Bluetooth Technology: The Samsung HW-M550 features built-in Bluetooth for wireless connection between the soundbar speaker system and your Bluetooth-enabled mobile device for wireless music streaming, as well as a wireless connection between the soundbar speaker and select Samsung TVs with SoundConnect. The HW-M550's Bluetooth function has a wireless range of approximately 32.8'.
- Bluetooth Music Streaming: You can wirelessly stream stored music and music apps from your Bluetooth-enabled device; like your smartphone, tablet, computer, or laptop to the Samsung HW-M550 and enjoy music with high quality stereo sound, all without wires. The HW-M550 does not control your Bluetooth-enabled device; you will continue to control your music from your Bluetooth-enabled device. Song/artist information will also still need to be viewed from your Bluetooth-enabled device. You can only pair and connect one mobile device at a time.
- SoundConnect (for Samsung TVs): You can simplify the installation of the HW-M550 by eliminating the need for a wired connection between a Bluetooth-enabled Samsung TV and the soundbar. Simply plug the soundbar and the subwoofer into AC power and follow the simple pairing instructions to wirelessly connect the soundbar to select Bluetooth-enabled Samsung TVs. SoundConnect is only available on select 2012-up Samsung TVs. When a TV is connected using Bluetooth, audio is transmitted in stereo (not Dolby Digital or DTS). Only one TV can be paired and connected at a time.
Note: Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the Samsung HW-M550.
microUSB Port: You can connect and play music files from external USB mass storage class devices (such as a USB thumbdrive) using the soundbar's rear-panel microUSB port and a microUSB-to-USB adapter (sold separately). The HW-M550 supports playback of a variety of music files loaded onto a compatible USB device formatted in FAT16/32. You can control basic playback functions; such as Play/Pause, Fast-Forward/Backward, Previous/Next Track, and Repeat/Random. The system will also charge (5V/0.5A) your connected USB device. Compatible music files include -
- MP3: 80-320kbps; 16-48kHz
- WMA: 56-128kbps; 16-48kHz
- AAC: 48-320kpbs; 16-96kHz
- WAV: up to 3000 kbps; 16-48kHz
- FLAC: up to 3000 kbps; 16-96kHz
- OGG: 50-500kbps;16-48kHz
Power Requirements: The active soundbar speaker and the wireless powered subwoofer will both have to be plugged into an AC power outlet, surge protector, or power conditioner. The active soundbar includes a AC power adapter with an attached 58" DC cord and detachable 5' AC power cord. The wireless powered sub includes a detachable 5' AC power cord.
Firmware Updates (via microUSB): Samsung may offer updates for the Soundbar's system firmware in the future. If an update is offered, you can download the firmware update from Samsung's Support website onto a USB thumbdrive inserted in your computer. Once the firmware is downloaded on your USB thumbdrive, plug the USB device into the soundbar's microUSB port using adapter cable (sold separately) for update.
Remote Control w/ Anynet+: The included IR remote control provides wireless operation of the Samsung HW-M550 system. Anynet+ is a convenient feature that offers linked operation with other Samsung components (up to 12) that have the Anynet+ feature, and lets you control those products with one Samsung remote control. To operate this function, you must connect Samsung HW-M550 wireless audio soundbar system to an Anynet+ Samsung TV using an HDMI cable.
TV Remote Control: When the HW-M550 system is connected to a Samsung smart TV released in 2017 or later, the Soundbar can be controlled using the TV's remote control. This function also allows you to use the TV menu to adjust the soundfield and various settings as well as the volume and mute.
Bluetooth Control: The Samsung HW-M550 soundbar system offers an Android compatible Bluetooth remote app and incorporates a Bluetooth Power On feature.
- Bluetooth Remote App (for Android): Download Samsung's Audio Remote app onto your Android (OS 3.0+) smartphone or tablet to control the HW-M550 soundbar system wirelessly from your mobile device over Bluetooth. This convenient app lets you control all the Soundbar's basic functions such as power, volume, and the media controls, plus lets you control customizable functions such as the surround modes & EQ.
- Bluetooth Power On: If a previously paired Bluetooth device (including a Samsung SoundConnect compatible TV) tries to pair with the Soundbar when the Bluetooth Power On function is activated and the Soundbar is turned off, the Soundbar turns on automatically.
Auto Power On/Off: The Samsung HW-M550 soundbar system offers Auto Power On/Off functionality.
- Power Link (Auto On): The wireless audio soundbar system is automatically turned on when you turn on your TV or any device connected to the wireless audio soundbar system with an optical cable.
- Auto Off: If a TV or any device connected to the HW-M550 soundbar system is off and there is no audio signal, the soundbar system will turn off after 5 minutes.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Why did you buy this?
This system was selected to match the QN65 TV and provide surround sound for the TV. [ Theodore E. Mar 31, 2018 ]
wanted a dedicated center channel for dialogue . have a Samsung uhd television to pair with . [ Joe Mar 26, 2018 ]
Since we got a Samsung tv I decided to go with a Samsung sound bar. [ Kevin Mar 10, 2018 ]
160 watt woofer, compatible with 2017 samsung tv [ David Feb 28, 2018 ]
Performance and price [ MICHAEL K Feb 11, 2018 ]
Center channel for voice [ NR Jan 18, 2018 ]
Good value [ Francesco Dec 27, 2017 ]
For a large room with a large TV, you need a sound bar; we've always had one with previous TV's and they work extremely well for viewing games, action movies and playing music over the TV [ Judith Dec 24, 2017 ]
seemed to be a good value, dimensions seemed to be a good fit for our existing tv installation. [ DENNIS J Dec 13, 2017 ]
it is a 3.1 system and I need a clear center channel This is for my elderly parents [ Kenneth Dec 01, 2017 ]
Great price for a 3.1 sound bar and it will be compatible with my Sumsung TV so the whole system works on one remote [ Joseph Nov 26, 2017 ]
Excellent service and warranty [ Pedro Nov 23, 2017 ]
Decent reviews for small room size [ ernie Oct 23, 2017 ]
Matches my new big screen TV . . . [ RANDY Sep 20, 2017 ]
To complete the set... [ Tracy Jun 02, 2017 ]
the tv speakers are hard to understand at times. i hope this sound bar will help, looking forward to setting it up when delivered. [ Bobby May 22, 2017 ]
It will match my Samsung TV and had a center channel for clearer voice [ Martin May 15, 2017 ]
Has a designated speaker for voice dialog. TV sound is hard to understand dialog when watching prime time shows and movies. Hope this soundbar makes dialog clear and easy to follow. [ Kenji May 14, 2017 ]
8 questions already asked
no wifi [ samson Jun 20, 2018 ]
I don't think so. This speaker is pretty basic. I'd go with Sonos if you want voice-assistant functionality. [ RICHARD Feb 25, 2018 ]
Looked at device - there are no traditional speaker (wired) connections. It connects via bluetooth to its woofer. [ Martin Dec 19, 2017 ]
I can't help you with your question but I wouldn't really recommend this system. I'm not impressed with it at all. You have to keep the sub turned all the way up to get minimal sound. I did a firmware update hoping it would help but it didn't. The update did fix a glitch with the volume going to max on it own once and a while. I know on Amazon it says what rear speakers are compatible with these soundbars. [ ernie Nov 28, 2017 ]
2 answers Can I connect this sound bar to a 2017-75 inch Sony TV using the optical cable included with the sound bar? My current Samsung TV didn't have an port for the optical cable, I guess because it is a few years old. If I need a different cable, I would like to have it available for when the new TV is delivered. [ Katie Oct 28, 2017 ]
Yes! I have a Samsung and use the TV's optical output to send audio from all sources to the sound bar. This method has fewer cords going to/from the sound bar than utilizing the HDMI pass-through method. [ Dwight Oct 31, 2017 ]
Yes the sound bar has an optical cable connection. You will have to tell the sound bar what you will be hooking up. [ Danny Oct 30, 2017 ]
I don't know why not. Use a HDMI cable and define the combination in your system. [ Danny Sep 15, 2017 ]
Yes. You can use HDMI, Toslink or analog inputs. [ RICHARD Sep 14, 2017 ]
If you purchased the product from Crutchfield, feel free to contact our Tech Support team. They can walk you through the settings on the product and see if there may be a fix. Our toll-free Tech Support number is printed on your invoice, and is also available under the "My Orders" tab in the "My Account" section of our website. If you did not purchase the unit from Crutchfield, then you may want to contact the manufacturer, or try our online support center: http://crutchfield.custhelp.com/app/answers/list/kw/. [ Krissy May 22, 2017 ] Staff
The Samsung HW-M550 soundbar can be mounted on the wall with the included wall-mount brackets that come supplied in the box--no other parts required. Hope that helps! [ Larry May 13, 2017 ] Staff