808 Audio XL-V
Wireless powered speaker with built-in Bluetooth® and Amazon Alexa
Our take on the 808 Audio XL-V by Crutchfield's Jeff Miller
The familiar Alexa blue LED light and tap controls are up top — along with tactile volume buttons.
A "music-first" speaker with Alexa voice control
Of all the cool things you can do with voice control, I always seem to come back to music. And I'm not alone — studies show that playing music is what most people are doing most often with their Alexa devices. The 808 Audio XL-V wireless speaker is designed to make that music sound good.
The Alexa assistant is built right in, along with a microphone array to cover voice control functions. For music playback, 808 has included dual outward-facing drivers that radiate sound in a 360-degree pattern, along with a tuned port for punchier bass. You can even sync up two of these speakers and use them as a stereo pair — something you can't do with Amazon's Echo speakers.
Call out your song requests
Want some background music for dinner? Just say "Alexa," then say what you want to play. Need more volume when you're cleaning dishes? "Alexa, turn it up." This 808 audio speaker features Alexa's famous "pretty blue light" and responsive chime, so you know when the assistant is listening and has heard your commands.
And it's easy to select songs and playlists. Tell Alexa to mix and match from Pandora®, Spotify®, Amazon Music, iHeartRadio, and more.
Hands-free control over smart devices
But it's not just for music. Alexa can control smart home lights, switches, and thermostats from companies like Wemo, Philips Hue, Samsung SmartThings, Nest, and more. You set everything up with the Alexa app, a free download for your Fire OS, Android™, or Apple® device.
Always getting smarter
Alexa can answer questions, read audiobooks to you, and give you sports scores. Amazon refers to these types of abilities as "skills." Just ask, and you might be surprised what Alexa can do — order food, check the weather — more and more skills are added all the time.
And since this speaker is connected to the cloud, Alexa can learn something new in the blink of an eye.
- powered wireless speaker that connects to your home Wi-Fi® network
- stream music, perform tasks, and control compatible smart devices with your voice
- use the word "Alexa" to start a voice-activated command
- 360° sound with outward-facing drivers
- two 1-1/2" full-range drivers
- bass reflex port reinforces low frequencies
- pair two XL-V speakers together in stereo mode
Built-in Amazon Alexa Voice Control:
- wirelessly stream from Spotify, Pandora, TuneIn, IHeartRadio, Amazon Music, and other online music services
- multiple Amazon Alexa devices can be grouped together so you can play the same song in every room
- free Alexa App is compatible with Fire OS, Android, and iOS devices and also accessible via your web browser
- access to Alexa skills, such as news updates, weather reports, smart home commands, and more
General Info and Specs:
- Bluetooth-enabled for wireless music streaming
- must be connected to Wi-Fi for Alexa voice control
- free 808 Audio app guides you through setup
- microphone mute button lets you choose when Alexa is listening
- +/- buttons let you control volume manually
- 3.5mm stereo input for connecting a portable music player
- requires AC power (power cord included)
- 3-1/16"W x 9"H x 3-1/16"D
- weight: 1.63 lbs.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- Voice-activated powered speaker
- AC power adapter (attached 68" DC cord)
- Quick Start Guide
- Important Safety Instructions
- 808 Audio brochure
808 Audio XL-V Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Voice-Activated Powered Speaker: The 808 Audio XL-V Smart Speaker (SPAL1GM) is a hands-free powered speaker you can control with your voice. The 808 Audio XL-V Smart Speaker connects to the Alexa Voice Service to play music, set alarms and timers, control smart home devices, and provide information regarding news, sports scores, weather, and more.
Room-Filling Sound: The 808 Audio XL-V Smart Speaker's cylindrical design offers immersive room-filling sound. It features two outward facing 1.5" drivers that deliver full, rich, balanced stereo sound. An integrated bass reflex port is used for deep bass without distortion.
Built-In WiFi (2.4GHz): The 808 Audio XL-V Smart Speaker (SPAL1GM) comes ready to connect to your home's wireless network router with built-in 2.4GHz WiFi (802.11a/b/g/n) for a fast, reliable wireless connection. If you have a dual-band router, make sure are connected to 2.4GHz (not 5GHz).
Alexa w/ Far-Field Voice Recognition: Built-in microphones with far-field voice recognition let Alexa hear you from across the room even when music is playing. When you want to use the XL-V Smart Speaker (SPAL1GM), simply say the wake word, "Alexa," and the speaker lights up and streams audio to the cloud, where the Alexa Voice Service is leveraged to recognize and respond to your request instantly. Once you say "Alexa", the audio stream includes a fraction of a second of audio before the wake word, and closes once your question or request has been processed. Alexa (the brain behind the SPAL1GM) is built in the cloud, so it is always getting smarter. The more you use the XL-V Smart Speaker, the more it adapts to your speech patterns, vocabulary, and personal preferences.
Note: The 808 Audio XL-V Smart Speaker (SPAL1GM) does not support Alexa Calling & Messaging.
App Control: To get the most out of the 808 Audio XL-V Smart Speaker (SPAL1GM), you'll need download the 808 Audio App and the Amazon Alexa App onto your compatible Apple iOS or Android OS device.
- 808 Audio App: Download the free 808 Audio App onto your Apple iOS 7.0+ or Android OS 4.0.3+ device. Use the app to connect the speaker to your WiFi network, control multiple speaker for whole-home audio, and play your device's music library through the XL-V Smart Speaker. Through the 808 Audio App, you can set up multiple XL-V Smart Speakers in the same WiFi network to stream the same music from your smartphone or tablet simultaneously.
- Amazon Alexa App: With the free Alexa App on your Apple iOS 9.0+ or Android OS 5.0+ (also compatible with Fire OS and web browsers), you can easily setup the 808 Audio XL-V Smart Speaker with your Amazon account and Alexa. Interactions with Alexa are mirrored visually on your compatible mobile device through the app, providing more information as you want it. The Amazon Alexa App lets you easily manage your alarms & timers, music content, smart home devices, shopping lists, and more from your compatible Apple iOS or Android device.
Online Music & Radio: The 808 Audio XL-V Smart Speaker provides hands-free voice control for Amazon Music, Pandora, TuneIn, iHeartRadio, & Spotify Connect. You can also upload your personal music collection from iTunes, Google Play Music, and more to your music library on Amazon and then stream your music through your Alexa device. Simply ask for your favorite artist or song, or request a specific genre or mood. You can also search for music by lyrics, when a song or album was released, or let Alexa pick the music for you.
Note: Amazon Prime is needed to stream music from Amazon. To play music from Spotify you need a premium account. Others services may require account setup or subscription.
Home Entertainment Control: Amazon Alexa now offers home entertainment skills for select multiroom audio systems - including Sonos, Heos by Denon, & Yamaha MusicCast (all sold separately). You'll be able to control key functions of these systems by simply using voice commands.
Smart Home: The 808 Audio XL-V Smart Speaker works with devices such as lights, outlets, thermostats, door locks, and more from WeMo, Philips Hue, Samsung SmartThings, Insteon, Nest, ecobbe, Wink, and more. Control multiple devices at scheduled times or with a single voice command, like locking the doors and turning off the lights when you go to bed. Some products work directly with Alexa and other smart home ecosystems require a compatible hub.
IFTTT: The XL-V Smart Speaker with Alexa supports IFTTT, or "IF This, Then That," a third-party service that automates how your devices, apps, and websites work with each other through rules. After you activate an Applet through the IFTTT website, Alexa can then trigger that IFTTT Applet when you interact with the XL-V Smart Speaker.
Note: Currently, the XL-V Smart Speaker and Alexa can't be the action in an Applet. For example, you can't allow Alexa to notify you of new tweets on your Twitter account.
News & Information: The 808 Audio XL-V Smart Speaker with Alexa can help you stay connected to the news that matters most to you - like world & local news, traffic, weather, sports, and movie times.
- Flash Briefing: Flash Briefing lets you put together a personalized lineup of updates from news sources like NPR, CNN, Fox News, and CNET. If you've set up a voice profile, Alexa recognizes your voice and can catch you up on the latest without repeating old news.
- Traffic & Weather: Alexa can help you get ready for your day. Set your commute start and stop point, and Alexa can tell you how long your commute will take. Or ask Alexa how the weather's looking.
- Sports & Movies: Get scores and schedules for the major football, basketball, baseball, hockey, and soccer leagues or set up a personalized Sports Update to keep tabs on your favorite teams. Alexa can even tell you movie show-times at theaters near you.
Amazon Prime Shopping: If you're a Prime member, Alexa has exclusive deals for you every day on everything from home goods to electronics. Amazon Prime members can ask Alexa to order eligible products ordered before, many Prime products, and digital music tracks and albums. Your default payment and shipping settings will be used to place your order. You can require a speakable confirmation code, turn purchasing off, and see product and order details in your Alexa App. Just like orders placed through Amazon.com, orders placed through Alexa are subject to Amazon's Conditions of Use & Privacy Notice.
Questions & Answers + Fun & Games: The XL-V Smart Speaker with Alexa taps into Yelp to provide you with info on local restaurants, shops, and other businesses. It also makes a great calculator and dictionary. You can even get fast facts on all type of topics from Wikipedia. Alexa also offers funny jokes and fun games for the family.
Skills: Skills are voice-driven capabilities that enhance the functionality of the 808 Audio XL-V Smart Speaker with Alexa. The XL-V Smart Speaker uses tens of thousands of skills and counting; new skills are being added all the time. You can search for and enable skills in the Alexa app or from the Alexa Skills store on the website. You can also see ratings and reviews to learn what other customers are saying about the thousands of skills available in the Alexa App. To use an Alexa skill, first enable the skill, and then make your request based on the example phrases shown in the app. If you know the exact name of the skill you want, you can say, "Enable [skill name] skill." Some skills may require you to link to an existing account and a separate subscription in order to use the skill.
Note: At this time, you cannot customize which content is available on specific devices. For example, music, skills, shopping lists are available on all Alexa devices registered to the same account as the content.
Bluetooth Audio Streaming: The 808 Audio XL-V is also a Bluetooth-enabled speaker that allows you to wirelessly stream your music library, music apps, podcasts, audiobooks and other audio content on your Bluetooth source device (such as your smartphone, tablet, or laptop to the Smart Speaker (SPAL1GM). You can control playback functions (such as Play/Pause, Previous/Next Track, & Volume Up/Down) through voice command.
Note: Hands-free phone communication (HFP) is not supported.
Aux Input: In addition to WiFi and Bluetooth, the XL-V Smart Speaker is outfitted with a 3.5mm Aux input for connecting an external audio source.
Push-Button Controls: The 808 Audio XL-V Smart Speaker (SPAL1GM) includes top-panel controls for turning the volume up or down, activating or deactivating the built-in mics, and accessing Alexa manually. Front-panel controls include power on/off and switching between WiFi or Bluetooth mode.
AC Power Adapter: The 808 Audio XL-V Smart Speaker includes an AC power adapter that will need to be plugged into an AC power outlet, surge protector, or power conditioner.
Note: The 808 Audio XL-V Smart Speaker is not battery powered.
Auto Updates: Because the 808 Audio XL-V Smart Speaker is always connected to the internet, updates are delivered automatically.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Why did you buy this?
was recommended with the harmony remote [ kourosh Aug 26, 2018 ]
1 question already asked
We sure do! In fact, there are a few choices on speakers that can work with SiriusXM's streaming service along with being wall-mountable too. I recommend contacting an advisor on 1-800-324-9695 for a personal recommendation My Bio: http://www.crutchfield.com/Support/Bio.aspx?bio=101 [ Paul Nov 07, 2017 ] Staff