ELAC Debut 2.0 B5.2
California customers: click here for your Proposition 65 warning.Please
Our take on the ELAC Debut 2.0 B5.2 by Crutchfield's Kramer Crane
Budget-friendly audio gems
ELAC has been one of our best-selling home speaker brands ever since we brought them on board a few years ago. And for good reason — the company builds great-sounding speakers starting at surprisingly affordable prices. The Debut 2.0 B5.2 bookshelf speakers are both easy on the wallet and a pleasure to listen to.
These speakers are part of ELAC's newly redesigned Debut 2.0 speaker family. They're taller and more slender than the original B5s, featuring an improved 1" silk dome tweeter for extended high-frequency response, and an updated 5-1/4" aramid-fiber woofer that dishes out smooth mids and bass.
ELAC's B5.2 bookshelf speakers use high-quality parts that are designed in-house by Andrew Jones.
No off-the-shelf parts
Fans of ELAC know that renowned speaker designer Andrew Jones has been at the helm of the Debut series since the beginning. Jones himself designs the magnets, woofers, crossovers, and enclosures for each Debut speaker, which allows for high-quality components without the added cost of outsourcing parts and supplies.
Great for music and movies
These compact speakers are front-ported — another improvement over the original Debut B5 — making them easy to place in a cabinet or on a shelf. Use them as part of a stereo music system for smallish rooms, or team up a couple of pairs with a Debut center channel and subwoofer for a dynamic, not-crazy-expensive home theater system.
- 1" silk dome tweeter with wide-dispersion waveguide for smooth, accurate highs and extended high-frequency response
- 5-1/4" aramid-fiber woofer with oversized magnet and vented pole piece for punchy bass and midrange
- frequency response: 46-35,000 Hz
- sensitivity: 86 dB
- impedance: 6 ohms
- recommended amplifier power: up to 120 watts
- bass-reflex (ported) cabinet with front-firing port for flexible placement against a wall or bookshelf
- thick MDF cabinet walls with black ash vinyl finish
- cabinet walls are internally braced for reduced resonance and improved stability
- custom multi-element crossover with high-grade components to ensure smooth transition between drivers
- 5-way binding post speaker terminals
- 7-1/8"W x 13-7/16"H x 10-1/16"D
- weight: 13 lbs. (each)
- warranty: 3 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- 2 Bookshelf loudspeakers
- 2 Grilles
- Operating Instructions
ELAC Debut 2.0 B5.2 Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|Tweeter Size (inches)||1|
|Midrange Size (inches)||N/A|
|Woofer Size (inches)||5.25|
|Woofer Composition||Woven Aramid-Fiber|
|Frequency Response||46-35k Hz|
|Connector Type||5-way post|
|Mounting Bracket Included||No|
|Recommended Stand Height (inches)||24-28|
|Parts Warranty||3 Years|
|Labor Warranty||3 Years|
Two-Way Driver Design: The Elac Debut 2.0 series DB52 bookshelf loudspeaker features a two-way driver design with a 1" tweeter, one 5.25" woofer, and a 2,200Hz crossover. Both the tweeter and woofer have been custom designed by Andrew Jones to deliver an exceptional audio experience that can't be delivered with typical off-the-shelf parts
- Cloth Dome Tweeter w/ Wave Guide: The 1" silk soft-dome tweeter features a wide-roll surround that improves power handling and a waveguide that improves directivity control by eliminating cabinet diffraction inherent in traditional box enclosures. The 1" silk soft-dome tweeter candle handle high frequencies up to 35,000 Hz.
- Woven-Aramid Fiber Woofer: The bookshelf speaker features a single 5.25" woven aramid-fiber cone woofer with rubber surround, oversized magnet, and vented pole piece. The revised shape of the aramid cone offers even greater stiffness and damping; far superior to polypropylene or paper. The added strength allows more flexibility in design to achieve a smoother, extended low-frequency response.
- Custom Crossover: A custom seven-element crossover (2,200Hz) with audio-grade components is implemented to ensure smooth transition between the tweeter and woofer.
Bass Reflex MDF Cabinet: The Elac Debut 2.0 series DB52 bookshelf loudspeaker uses a bass reflex cabinet with a front-firing flared port for greater efficiency and bigger bass response. Moving the bass port to the front of the cabinet means placement against walls or in bookshelves won't compromise performance. The cabinet is made of MDF (Medium Density Fiberboard) to strengthen and stiffen the cabinet, helping minimize unwanted vibrations that can discolor music or movie content. The MDF outer walls of the cabinet are covered with a black ash wood-grain vinyl finish. A detachable cloth grille is included.
5-Way Binding Posts: The Elac Debut 2.0 series DB52 bookshelf loudspeaker is fitted with a set of 5-way binding-post terminals which will accept bare-wire (up to 10AWG), pin-connectors, spade-lugs, and banana plugs (single or dual).
Applications: The Elac Debut 2.0 series DB52 bookshelf loudspeaker can be used in a 2ch stereo application, or used as your front speakers and/or rear surround speakers in a multichannel home theater application.
- 2Ch Stereo or Front Speaker Placement: For optimum stereo imaging, place the speakers so that an equilateral triangle is created between the speakers your main listening position. You can also angle ("toe in") the speakers towards the listening position to gain a more focused central image.
- Rear Surround Placement: In a 5.1channel surround setup, avoid placing the speakers forward of your listening position. The speakers should be spread apart wider than the front speakers. In addition, try to elevate the speakers to the same height or slightly higher as the front speakers for the most enveloping soundfield.
Note: In either application, the speakers should be placed 1' to 2' away from boundaries such as wall and corners. Close proximity to a side or rear wall will enhance bass performance, but being too close may result in bass that is unnatural.
Mounting Options: The Elac Debut 2.0 series DB52 bookshelf loudspeaker can simply be placed on a flat surface; like a table-top, stand, or shelf. The bookshelf speaker does not include a bracket, key-hole slot, or threaded insert for wall-mounting. However, you can wall-mount the DB52 speaker using the PinPoint side-clamping bracket (sold separately - see Accessories Tab).
Elac Debut 2.0 Series: The Elac Debut 2.0 series family of loudspeakers consists of two floorstanding loudspeakers (DF52/DF62), two bookshelf loudspeakers (DB52/DB62), two center-channel loudspeakers (DC52/DC62), a Dolby Atmos enabled loudspeaker (DA42), and two powered subs (S10EQ/S12EQ).
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Why did you buy this?
already had one pair. [ RYAN Jul 31, 2018 ]
Front facing port is preferred for bookshelf placement in small office. [ Ken Apr 24, 2018 ]
crutchfield advice [ william Apr 09, 2018 ]
The sound quality at this price point is supposedly unmatched. I cannot wait to audition them in my home theater. [ David Mar 27, 2018 ]
2 questions already asked
I would not think so. You may want to get some/put the rubber feet on the side that will be laying down on the cabinet. [ Matthew Sep 10, 2018 ]
I can't see any reason why there would be problems. [ James Sep 08, 2018 ]
I don't think it really matters. Some would likely argue it does. Test it yourself. If you detect a difference I'd be surprised. The front ports allows for burying these in a bookshelf. The important thing I think is to have them positioned at ear level. Enjoy. [ Donald Sep 08, 2018 ]
3 answers I'm very interested in the debut 2.0 B6 speakers as fronts in a surround system. However due to room constraints, I cannot put bookshelf speakers on stands as rears. Instead I must mount a small speaker near the ceiling firing down toward the room occupants. Any recommendations of what speakers would sound good with the B6 is that might be small enough to be mounted up high on the wall? [ Mike Apr 19, 2018 ]
Seems like the 4.2OW (On-Wall) speakers might work well for you. I had this same issue, but didn't have the wall-space to go with the 4.2OW's. Would be awesome if ELAC had a smaller speaker for rear surround use, tuned to balance well with the Debut 2.0's. The in-ceiling/on-wall speakers come close, but there's no substitute for the flexibility of small surround speakers on stands/mounts. I've been considering getting a pair of HEOS HS2 1's or 3's to use as rear surround, as they're wireless & the perfect size for surround speakers, but I've seen mixed reviews, including complaints about the sound cutting out periodically, which I would not tolerate in my otherwise amazing surround setup. Given the very reasonable price of a pair of Debut 5.2's, despite their large size, I elected to get a pair of them to use as rear surround speakers, at least for now. Listening to music through the B6.2's in front & the B5.2's in the rear is sincerely thrilling! [ Joshua Jun 02, 2018 ]
I'd look at the Debut 2.0 OW4.2. It's meant to be mounted to the wall and has down firing ports. [ Matthew Apr 19, 2018 ]
If there's a few feet between the rear wall and your sitting position, I'd get a pair of ELAC debut 2.0 OW (on-wall) 4.2 speakers, which mount right on the wall. If that doesn't work for your room (it doesn't with mine due to window position), I bought a pair of ELAC 5.2s & a set of wall mounts. It was a bit tricky finding mounts that can handle the weight of the ELACs and also tilt downward more than 10 degrees - most are designed for light-weight satellite speakers. I bought ceiling mounts (PSTNDC31) from Pyle Audio and am hoping they'll work (not installed yet). [ Joshua Apr 19, 2018 ]
Looking for more? Check out the next model in this lineup.
Frequently Compared With
ELAC Debut 2.0 B5.2
Polk Audio Signature S15
ELAC Debut 2.0 B6.2
ELAC Uni-Fi UB5