Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 70-200mm F/2.8E FL ED VR
Telephoto zoom lens for Nikon SLR cameras
Item # 05420063 | MFR # 20063
$2,799.95 Earn up to 2,800 Rewards points
Offers & Financing
Ask an expert
Our VA-based experts can help.
Our take on the Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 70-200mm F/2.8E FL ED VR by Crutchfield's Deia Z.
Exceptional optics and performance for sports and wildlife photographers
Nikon's 70-200mm telephoto lens has an anti-reflective coating and eight specialized lens elements for outstanding high-resolution images. This lens is sealed against the elements and has a special water- and dirt-repellant fluorite coating that makes it easy to wipe off quickly.
This lens's large f/2.8 maximum aperture remains constant across the zoom range, so you'll get consistently well-exposed photos without having to change settings as you adjust focal length.
Keep it sharp
This lens is lightweight enough to use for occasional handheld shooting. Nikon's Vibration Reduction system works in different ways to compensate for camera shake. Sports Mode is optimal for fast action and panning, and Tripod Mode minimizes the effects of subtle ground vibrations.
Bursting with accuracy and detail
This lens's outstanding autofocus tracking performance lets you follow fast-moving subjects for precise focus. An electromagnetic diaphragm mechanism works in sync with the shutter to give you fast, consistent auto-exposure with high-speed continuous shooting. The lens's speed and accuracy combine with the most advanced NIKKOR lens technologies to deliver tack-sharp, pro-quality results on a daily basis.
- 70-200mm f/2.8 telephoto zoom lens
- compatible with Nikon SLR cameras
- effective focal length:
- 70-200mm with full-frame (FX) sensor cameras
- 105-300mm with APS-C (DX) sensor cameras
- f/2.8 maximum aperture stays constant throughout the zoom range
- built-in Vibration Reduction with tripod detection enables sharper shots at slower shutter speeds (up to four shutter speeds slower)
- Silent Wave Motor for smooth, quiet, and precise autofocus
- internal focusing design maintains overall lens length during focusing for greater consistency and faster performance
- manual and autofocus modes
- Super Integrated Coating on lens elements provides excellent color richness and contrast
- protective fluorine coating allows easier cleaning of water, dirt, and smudges
- anti-reflective Nano Crystal Coat reduces ghosting and flare
- dust- and water-resistant magnesium-alloy design
- minimum focus distance: 3.6'
- minimum aperture: f/22
- lens construction: 22 elements in 18 groups
- 6 ED (extra-low dispersion) lens elements for better sharpness and contrast
- lightweight fluorite lens element for improved balance and handling
- HRI (high refractive index) lens element compensates for field curvature and spherical aberrations
- 9-blade circular aperture for natural rendering of out-of-focus background elements
- Electromagnetic Diaphragm Mechanism for accurate aperture blade control when using auto exposure during continuous shooting
- filter/attachment size: 77mm
- includes front and rear lens caps, lens hood, and nylon case
- lens is 3-7/16" in diameter, 7-15/16" long
- weight: 3.16 lbs.
- warranty: 5 years with Nikon registration
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- AF-S NIKKOR 70-200mm f/2.8E FL ED VR zoom lens (item 20063)
- LC-77 Front lens cap (installed)
- LF-4 Rear lens cap (installed)
- HB-78 Lens hood (installed)
- Tripod collar (installed)
- CL-M2 Zippered nylon storage case
- User's Manual
- Warranty card
Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 70-200mm F/2.8E FL ED VR Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|Parts Warranty||5 Years w/registration|
|Labor Warranty||5 Years w/registration|
Overview: The Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8E FL ED VR lens is a telephoto zoom lens. Because of its fast f/2.8 aperture, it is ideal for capturing sports, wildlife, concerts, weddings, and portraits. This lens is optimized for use on Nikon FX-format cameras with full-frame image sensors. When mounted on DX-format (APS-C) cameras, the lens has an equivalent focal length of approximately 105-300mm.
Lens Construction: The lens is made of 22 elements in 18 groups, including 6 ED lens elements, 1 Flourite element, 1 HRI element, and lens elements with Nano-Crystal or fluorine coatings. The special elements have the following attributes:
- Extra-low Dispersion Glass (ED): The lens is constructed with Extra-low Dispersion (ED) glass elements developed by Nikon and used with normal optical glass in telephoto lenses to obtain optimum correction of chromatic aberrations.
- HRI: HRI stands for High Refractive Index lens. With a refractive index of more than 2.0, one HRI lens can offer effects equivalent to those obtained with several normal glass elements. HRI lenses can compensate for field curvature and spherical aberrations.
- Nano Crystal Coating (N): Nano-crystal coating is an anti-reflective coating that eliminates internal reflections, ghosting, and flare caused by light entering the lens diagonally.
- Internal Focusing (IF): The lens focuses by shifting the internal lens group, thus the physical lens length does not change during focusing. Autofocus is controlled by a Silent Wave Motor, while manual focus utilizes a separate focus ring.
Electromagnetic Diaphragm: This "E-type" lens features an electromagnetic diaphragm mechanism in the lens barrel to provide highly accurate electronic diaphragm or aperture blade control during auto exposure during continuous shooting. Conventional D/G-type lenses have mechanical linkage levers to control the diaphragm blades.
Focusing Modes: The lens has a 3-way Focus Mode switch that lets you choose the way the lens focuses. If you select Manual Focus on the camera, you can focus manually using the lens focusing ring and the camera's electronic rangefinder. When the camera is switched to the AF (auto focus) mode, you can apply one of three lens focusing modes:
- Manual Priority (M/A): The lens will auto focus, but can be manually overridden by rotating the lens focus ring.
- Autofocus Priority (A/M): The lens will auto focus, but you must rotate the focus ring farther before AF is overridden. This prevents the accidental changing of the focus caused by unintended operation of the focus ring.
- Manual (M): Even though the camera is set to auto focus, the lens will focus manually with the electronic rangefinder when you rotate the focusing ring.
Focus Limit: This 2-way switch sets focus distance limits for the autofocus. You can choose "Full" to use the entire focus range, or "∞-5m" if your subject will always be at a distance of at least 5 meters (16.5 feet) away.
Focus Functions: Four round focus function buttons are positioned around the lens barrel. You can choose the function of those buttons via a 3-way switch. In AF mode, you can lock the autofocus to preserve the current focusing position. To activate the focus lock, the switch should be in the AF-L position, and the focus will be locked when one of the focus function buttons are pressed. You can start the autofocus again by moving the switch to AF-On and pressing a function button. To defeat this function, the switch can be set to "Off."
Vibration Reduction (VR): Nikon's Vibration Reduction reduces blur caused by camera shake, allowing you to use shutter speeds between 3.5 and 4.0 stops slower than what is determined by normal metering. The VR effect takes place when the shutter release button is pressed halfway. There are two levels of Vibration Reduction, Normal and Sport. Normal VR should be used when photographing stationary subjects. Sport VR is used for photographing moving subjects, particularly athletes and other fast-moving subjects.
Tripod Collar: Because of its length and weight, the lens comes with a tripod collar for mounting the camera onto a tripod. The tripod collar provides better balance by positioning the tripod mount closer to the front of the lens. The tripod collar ring spins on ball bearings, which allows you to smoothly transition from horizontal (landscape) shooting and vertical (portrait) shooting. There are markings every 90° for precise alignment.
HB-78 Lens Hood: The AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8E FL ED VR includes a bayonet lens hood (HB-78) that blocks stray light from entering the lens, causing glare or ghosting. When attached, the hood adds approximately 2-1/2" to the overall length of the lens. Because of its length, you may need to remove the hood when using the camera's built-in flash to prevent vignetting (shadows). The hood can be reversed and mounted on the lens when not in use.
- Type of Lens: Type E AF-S lens with a built-in CPU
- Type of Mount: Nikon F-bayonet type
- Focal Length: 70-200mm (105-300mm with APS-C image sensor cameras)
- Focal Length Scale: Graduated in millimeters: 70, 85, 105, 135, and 200mm
- Filter Diameter: 77mm screw type
- Lens Construction: 22 elements in 18 groups (including 6 ED lens elements, 1 fluorite element, 1 HRI element, and lens elements with Nano-Crystal or fluorine coatings)
- Image Stabilization: Vibration Reduction (Normal and Sport) using Voice Coil Motors (VCMs)
- Minimum Focus Distance: 3.61' (1.1 meters) from focal plane
- Focus Distance Indicator: Markings at 4', 5', 7', 10', 15', 30' and ∞ (1.1m, 1.5m, 2m, 3m, 5m, 10m, and ∞)
- Focusing Method: Nikon Internal Focusing (IF) System with autofocus controlled by a Silent Wave Motor and separate focus ring for manual focus
- Diaphragm: Rounded 9-blade with automatic electronic aperture control
- Aperture Range: f/2.8 - f/22 at all focal lengths
- Angle of View:
- Nikon FX-format cameras: 34° 20' - 12° 20'
- Nikon DX-format cameras: 22° 50' - 8° 00'
- Dimensions: Diameter 3.416" Length 8.289" (8.894" with lens caps)
- Weight: 3 pounds 2.5 ounces
Warranty Terms: Nikon offers a 1-year parts and labor warranty on this lens. An additional 4-year Extended Service Coverage is available at no charge if you register the product with Nikon within 10 days of purchase.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Why did you buy this?
The lens has been getting consistently high marks in tests by pretty much anybody who tested it. I am also looking forward to the close-focus abilities. I hope it lives up to my expectations... [ Ralph Apr 16, 2018 ]
best meets my needs, great VR, good in low light, good zoom range in a relatively compact form, excellent reviews [ john Feb 03, 2018 ]
1 question already asked
Open box inventory items are covered by the full original manufacturer's warranty, yes. I hope that helps. My bio: https://www.crutchfield.com/bio/Ryan [ Ryan Apr 05, 2018 ] Staff
Frequently Compared With
Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 70-200mm F/2.8E FL ED VR
Telephoto zoom lens for Nikon SLR cameras
Fujifilm Fujinon XF 18mm f/2 R
Compact, lightweight wide-angle lens for Fujifilm X-Mount cameras
Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS II USM
L series zoom lens for Canon EOS SLR cameras
Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II USM Lens
L Series telephoto lens with optical image stabilization for Canon EOS SLR cameras