Klipsch Reference R-8SW
Compact powered subwoofer
Our take on the Klipsch Reference R-8SW by Crutchfield's Kramer Crane
Killer bass from a customer favorite
If you've been looking for hard-hitting bass without taking up much floor space, look no further than the Klipsch Reference R-8SW. Our customers have discovered that this compact sub adds lifelike punch to music and movie soundtracks. This small-but-mighty sub pumps out potent bass that's ideal for small- to medium-sized rooms.
"This nice jewel for a relatively small room really fills out the lower end....I can really rock this room when the house is empty and the cats are anesthetized.”
— Roger, satisfied Crutchfield customer from Santa Rosa, CA
Easy system integration
Line-level and LFE (Low-Frequency Effects) inputs let you easily connect the R-8SW to almost any home theater or stereo receiver. And its back-panel volume, crossover, and phase controls help you fine-tune the bass to your liking.
The R-8SW is housed in a durable MDF cabinet and is finished with a brushed black polymer veneer. A front-mounted LED power indicator makes it easy to tell when the sub is powered up and ready to rock.
- bass-reflex (ported) enclosure
- 50-watt RMS (150-watts peak) amplifier
- 8" high-excursion IMG (Injection Molded Graphite) down-firing woofer
- frequency response: 38-120 Hz (±3dB)
- MDF enclosure with brushed black polymer veneer finish
- RCA line level/LFE (low frequency effects) input
- variable low-pass crossover control
- phase switch to acoustically match the subwoofer's output to your main speakers
- automatically powers off when it no longer receives signal from the receiver
- 11-3/4"W x 13-1/4"H x 11-3/4"D
- weight: 15 lbs.
- warranty: 5 years woofer, 2 years amplifier
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- Powered sub
- 6.5' AC power cord
- User Manual
- Important Safety Instructions
- Warranty Sheet
I just bought this unit and man this subwoofer really rocks. I have it inside my wherehouse that is 8000 sq and it rocks the building. Music never sounded good!!
Klipsch Reference R-8SW Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|Woofer Size (inches)||8|
|Woofer Composition||Copper IMG|
|Low-Pass Crossover Freq||40-120Hz|
|High-Pass Crossover Freq||N/A|
|Amplifier Output (watts)||50|
|Frequency Response||38-120 Hz|
|Speaker Parts Warranty||5 Years|
|Speaker Labor Warranty||5 Years|
|Amplifier Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Amplifier Labor Warranty||2 Years|
8" Woofer: The Klipsch Reference series R-8SW powered sub is fitted with a powerful 8" copper-spun IMG (injected molded graphite) down-firing woofer for deep bass. The copper-spun IMG woofer is exceptionally light while being extremely rigid, providing remarkable low frequency response with minimal cone breakup and distortion. The down-firing woofer gives you greater placement flexibility than a front-firing woofer.
50 Watt Amp: The Klipsch R-8SW powered sub employs an all-digital 50 watt RMS (150 watt Peak) amplifier for high efficiency and dynamic bass performance.
MDF Cabinet: The R-8SW is housed in a durable MDF cabinet and finished with a brushed black polymer veneer. The MDF enclosure is rigid and protects against unwanted vibration and distortion.
Down Firing Port: The R-8SW's enclosure uses a bass reflex design with a down-firing port for greater efficiency and bigger bass.
Controls: The level control, low pass crossover, and phase control allow you to blend the powered subwoofer's low-frequency tones with your system's other speakers, as well as establish the ideal level of bass.
- Level Control: The level control adjusts the subwoofer's volume relative to the rest of your home audio system. After the sub's level control has been set, the volume control of your AV receiver will be the volume control for both the Klipsch powered subwoofer and your connected loudspeakers.
- Low Pass Crossover: The variable lowpass crossover is adjustable from 40-120Hz. The crossover point chosen determines where low bass frequencies are "handed-off" from your AV system's loudspeakers to the Klipsch powered subwoofer. Set the crossover point based on the size of your systems' main left/right speakers.
- Phase Control: This control is used to acoustically match the subwoofer's output to your main speakers. Select the position either 0˚ or 180˚ in which your subwoofer has more output at the listening position.
LFE/RCA Inputs: The Klipsch R-8SW powered subwoofer is equipped with a pair of line-level RCA-type inputs to connect the sub to your receiver or integrated amplifier.
- LFE Input: Most of today's AV receivers have a line-level subwoofer output (LFE). If your receiver has an LFE output, connect one end of a subwoofer cable (sold separately) to this output and connect the other end of the cable into the powered subwoofer's line-level input labeled "LEFT/LFE". Set the powered sub's built-in crossover to "LFE" with this type of connection.
- Stereo Input: In absence of a subwoofer (LFE) output on your receiver, as an alternative hookup, you can connect Left & Right channel pre-amp outputs from the receiver to both the "Left/LFE" and "Right" inputs on the powered subwoofer.
LED Indicator: The front-mounted LED power indicator lets you know when the sub is powered on or off. The LED will light green when the powered subwoofer is on and receiving a signal. If the LED is dark and not lit, the powered sub is off.
Auto Power On/Off: The powered subwoofer will automatically turn On when it senses an audio signal. It will automatically go into "Standby mode" after 15-20 minutes with no audio signal. You can also choose to turn the powered sub On or Off manually from the rear-switch on the back.
Placement: Klipsch powered subwoofers are designed to reproduce deep bass and deliver the impact that makes your movies and music come alive. For optimum performance, place your subwoofer in a corner of the room on the same wall as your front channel speakers. Please note that room placement can have a dramatic effect on the performance of your powered subwoofer. Corner placement, as suggested above, will increase the amount of bass output, while placing the subwoofer along the middle of a wall, or out in the room will decrease the amount of bass output.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Why did you buy this?
Because of Kristina's awesome advice [ Todd May 22, 2018 ]
Adding this subwoofer to my Klipsch 150M bookshelf speakers. I've been very satisfied with the Klipsch speakers without it, but I did notice some lack of depth to certain recordings in the lower frequency range. I chose this model to match my current speakers, and I don't believe I need any more than a 50W unit in the medium sized room that I use. [ John Apr 28, 2018 ]
great comments about it from people I know. [ JAMES Mar 25, 2018 ]
I needed a second sub to round out the sound. With only one sub, the sound was sort of lop-sided. [ W Feb 14, 2018 ]
I wanted a smaller than ten inch sub, and I feet the Klipsch products are far superior in quality than the Polk products. [ Henry Feb 08, 2018 ]
I chose this particular item on advice of the one helping me. I ASKED For Guidance, in this instance, since I was unfamiliar with the Product and (Big Deal, Here) I couldn't listen to the set-up myself.Hopefully, all compliment each other well. [ Robert M. Dec 28, 2017 ]
size [ Stephen Dec 10, 2017 ]
This sub will work better in my home hospital room. Already have the RS12 model in my theater room. [ GERARD Aug 26, 2017 ]
I already have a Klipsch 12" subwoofer in my house and works great. This one is to pair with some Klipsch R-15pm that I have in my office [ Angel May 11, 2017 ]
Brand, was convenient for my space [ Francisco May 07, 2017 ]
2 questions already asked
I am currently using 1 R8sw that rocks the whole house, if you use 2 you might switch the 10 to the rear [ Tim Nov 18, 2017 ]
If your receiver/amplifier does not offer a pair of RCA pre-amp outputs or a dedicated subwoofer (mono RCA) output, you'll want to consider using a different powered subwoofer model that does offer the "Speaker Level" inputs and outputs: https://www.crutchfield.com/g_12300/Powered-Subwoofers.html?tp=187#&nvpair=AG_General_Features|YCSpeaker@Level_Outputs [ Ryan Sep 27, 2017 ] Staff
Frequently Compared With
Klipsch Reference R-8SW
Compact powered subwoofer
Polk Audio PSW10
Klipsch Reference R-10SW
Polk Audio PSW111
Ultra-compact powered subwoofer