Focal Sub Air
Shallow, wall-mountable wireless subwoofer (White)
Our take on the Focal Sub Air by Crutchfield's James Ralston
The wireless, wall-mountable Sub Air (pictured here with Dôme satellite speakers, not included)
Deep, punchy bass from a shallow, wall-mountable sub
Focal's Sub Air powered subwoofer stands out from the pack in a couple of cool ways. For one, it's shallow enough to literally mount on the wall — no need to sacrifice an inch of floor space. Focal even includes the mounting hardware you need to install it.
Second, it's wireless, which opens up even more placement possibilities. Hook up the included transmitter to your receiver's subwoofer output, and place the sub anywhere within a 49-foot range. (Just remember: you will need to connect the subwoofer and the transmitter to AC power.)
- wireless subwoofer with shallow, wall-mountable design
- bass-reflex (ported) enclosure
- 110-watt RMS (150-watt peak) amplifier
- 8" cellulose pulp cone woofer
- receives high-quality audio signals wirelessly
- included wireless transmitter connects to your A/V receiver
- wireless range: approximately 49 feet
- frequency response 40-200 Hz (±3dB)
- variable low-pass crossover control
- phase switch to acoustically match the subwoofer's output to your main speakers
- auto on/standby
- RCA line level/LFE (low frequency effects) input
- 14-1/4"W x 16-1/8"H x 6-3/8"D
- weight: 17 lbs.
- warranty: 5 years woofer, 3 years amplifier
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- Wireless powered subwoofer
- Wireless transmitter
- AC power adapter (attached 6' DC cord)
- AC power plug insert (2-prong)
- 8' AC power cord
- 4 Rubber feet
- 2 Brackets
- Four M4 x 10mm machine screws
- Four M4 x 17mm machine screws
- 4 Wood-screws
- 4 Wall-anchors
- User Manual
Focal Sub Air Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|Woofer Size (inches)||8|
|Woofer Composition||Cellulose Pulp|
|Low-Pass Crossover Freq||50-200|
|High-Pass Crossover Freq||N/A|
|Amplifier Output (watts)||110|
|Frequency Response||40-200 Hz|
|Speaker Parts Warranty||5 Years|
|Speaker Labor Warranty||5 Years|
|Amplifier Parts Warranty||3 Years|
|Amplifier Labor Warranty||3 Years|
Wireless Connectivity: The Focal Sub Air is equipped with a built-in wireless receiver and comes with an external wireless transmitter, so you don't have to run a subwoofer cable between your AV receiver or integrated amplifier and the powered sub. The external wireless transmitter features LFE/RCA inputs which connect to your AV receiver or integrated amplifier's LFE output or stereo preouts. The low-frequency audio signals from your receiver or amplifier are then wirelessly transmitted to the Sub Air's built-in wireless receiver. The Focal Sub Air has a wireless range of approximately 49'.
Note: The Focal Sub Air and the included wireless transmitter come wirelessly connected from the factory. It is only possible to connect one Sub Air powered subwoofer to one wireless transmitter at a time, and vice-versa.
8" Cellulose Pulp Cone Woofer: The Focal Sub Air wireless powered subwoofer features a 8" cellulose pulp cone woofer that sounds great for movie and music soundtracks.
Note: The driver used in the Sub Air is made up of complex mechanical elements and requires a break-in period before it delivers the best of its performances. Focal recommends that you to let the subwoofer operate for about twenty hours at medium level, playing standard music programs, but with a large amount of bass.
110W BASH Amplifier: The Focal Sub Air wireless powered subwoofer employs a built-in 110W (RMS)/150W Peak) BASH amplifier for dynamic bass response.
Bass Reflex Enclosure: The Focal Sub Air wireless powered subwoofer utilizes a bass reflex enclosure with a side-firing bass port for added efficiency and bigger bass response. The bass port has been finely tuned to prevent port noise and distortion. The enclosure is available in a gloss black or gloss white lacquer finish.
Sub Controls: The Focal Sub Air provides Volume, Crossover, and Phase controls on the bottom-panel.
- Volume Level: The volume level controls the overall output level of the powered subwoofer, relative to the volume of the other speakers in your home theater or stereo system.
- Low Pass Crossover: The Focal Sub Air is equipped with a variable low-pass crossover which can be set between 50Hz and 200Hz. If your AV receiver is equipped with an LFE output, make sure the set the Sub Air's low-pass crossover to the "LFE" setting.
- Phase Switch: The phase switch allows for the adjustment of the phase of the powered subwoofer in relation to the speakers used in your audio system - either 0 or 180 degrees. If the bass sounds muddy or unclear, adjusting the phase control can sometimes strengthen the bass performance.
LFE/RCA Input: If you prefer a wired connection, the Focal Sub Air is also equipped with an LFE/stereo RCA input on the bottom-panel. Use the RCA input jack labeled "Right/LFE" for an LFE connection to your AV receiver. You will need to run a subwoofer cable (sold separately) from your AV receiver or integrated amplifier's LFE/RCA output to the powered sub.
Auto On/Standby: The Focal Sub Air will automatically power on when it detects an audio signal and go into standby mode when there is not audio signal present. You can also choose to manually turn the power of the Sub Air on and off.
Mounting & Placement Options: The Focal Sub Air wireless powered subwoofer can be simply placed on the floor using the included rubber feet or even mounted to a wall using the included wall-mount kit. Focal recommends placing the Sub Air wireless powered subwoofer in a corner towards the front of the room for optimum bass performance and a +6dB boost in bass output.
AC Power Requirements: Both the wireless powered subwoofer and wireless transmitter will require AC power. The wireless powered sub includes an 8' detachable AC power cord. The wireless transmitter includes an AC power adapter with an attached 6' DC cord.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Why did you buy this?
Experience with Focal automobile speakers [ Frank Aug 20, 2018 ]