NETGEAR Orbi Tri-Band Outdoor Wi-Fi® Satellite
Weather-resistant outdoor range-extending satellite for Orbi router (model RBS50Y)
Our take on the NETGEAR Orbi Tri-Band Outdoor Wi-Fi® Satellite by Crutchfield's Eric Angevine
Extend Orbi Wi-Fi coverage to the pool and patio
NETGEAR's Orbi system is great at covering every corner of your house with strong, fast Wi-Fi. But you're not always indoors, and that's where this weather-resistant add-on satellite module comes in. This rugged device lets you use your mobile devices or stream music glitch-free to a wireless speaker system, while you work and play in the great outdoors.
Note: Not a standalone Wi-Fi system; requires Orbi router to function.
- weather-resistant satellite adds up to 2,500 square feet of coverage to existing Orbi system
- six high-performance amplified internal antennas
- AC3000 Wi-Fi (400 + 866 + 1733 Mbps)
- up to 400 Mbps on 802.11n band
- up to 1733 Mbps on first 802.11ac band
- up to 866 Mbps on second 802.11ac band
- powerful quad-core 710MHz processor delivers high-performance connectivity
- 256GB flash memory and 512MB RAM for improved throughput
- beamforming boosts speed, reliability and range of Wi-Fi connection
- not a standalone Wi-Fi system; requires Orbi router to function
- AC adapter and wall-mount bracket included
- 8-5/16"W x 10-5/8"H x 2-3/4"D
- weight: 3.06 lbs.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- Orbi outdoor satellite
- AC power adapter (attached 6' DC cord)
- Table-top stand
- Wall-mount bracket
- Wall-mount bracket lock
- 3 Machine screws
- 3 Stucco/concrete screws
- 3 Wood screws
- 2 Phillips-head screws
- 2 Torx screws
- Quick Start Guide
Add-On Orbi Outdoor Satellite: The Orbi outdoor satellite is part of NETGEAR's Orbi expandable WiFi system. Add-on this satellite to your existing Orbi WiFi system to expand your WFi coverage an additional 2,500 sq/ft outdoors.
- Weather Resistance: The Orbi outdoor satellite is weather resistant and engineered to withstand the rain and sun. Now you can stay connected outdoors, rain or shine, with the Orbi outdoor satellite. Enjoy uninterrupted video streaming on your mobile devices or blast away music to the speakers in your backyard.
- 4x4 Backhaul: The Orbi Outdoor Satellite's dedicated 4x4 backhaul provides much stronger connection to punch through exterior walls, as compared to indoor mesh WiFi access points, so your WiFi speeds will be much faster to your detached structures such as the garage, shed, pool house, or the in-law quarters. Play music, stream videos without buffering or place your WiFi video cameras farther from your house.
Note: The Orbi outdoor satellite requires an Orbi system kit (sold separately).
ISP Compatibility: Unlike some WiFi systems, Orbi works with your existing gateway or modem and Internet service provider right out of the box. You won't need to change your current equipment to use the Orbi WiFi Home System. Orbi uses a single WiFi name (SSID) and with just a couple of clicks, your secure WiFi network will be ready in no time.
- If your gateway or modem has router functionality, when you set up the Orbi network, choose AP mode and turn off your existing gateway or modem's WiFi to improve performance.
- If your gateway or modem does not have router functionality, when you set up the Orbi network, select router mode and turn off your existing gateway or modem's WiFi to improve performance.
Note: After your existing WiFi is disabled, you can use that WiFi network name for your Orbi network.
One Network Name: Orbi provides a single WiFi network for your entire house. With Orbi, you have one network name and password, and you don't need to change networks as you move around your home. In contrast, extenders work by repeating the WiFi signal of your router to other parts of your house. As a result, with an extender, you have two different WiFi networks to connect to - one for your router and another for your range extender. That means you need to reconnect based on where you are in your home. Orbi creates a single high speed network that gives your entire home complete coverage. Orbi dynamically optimizes your connections for you without having to reconnect.
Tri-Band WiFi: Orbi uses tri-band WiFi to keep your Internet running at maximum speeds, no matter how many devices connect. The tri-band WiFi that powers Orbi includes a dedicated 1.7Gbps 5GHz band solely for extending Internet speeds to Orbi satellites. This enables the other two WiFi bands to be dedicated to all connected devices across an entire home. Tri-band WiFi ensures that your Orbi WiFi System provides both reliable WiFi coverage and maximum Internet speed throughout your home.
- up to 400 Mbps on 802.11n band
- up to 1733 Mbps on first 802.11ac band
- up to 867 Mbps on second 802.11ac band
Note: In contrast, range extenders do not offer tri-band WiFi. Extenders increase the range of your router by receiving and retransmitting your data using the same radio and channel, essentially transmitting your data twice. Retransmission can reduce by half the data available to you in the far corners of a large home. While extenders are a simple and cost-effective way to boost router signals, the lower data rate and second network are less effective for large homes with high-data users.
NETGEAR Orbi App: Use the NETGEAR Orbi app (for Apple iOS 9.0+ and Android 4.2+), now with a new dashboard, to install & personalize the Orbi Home WiFi System. The NETGEAR Orbi app makes it easy to set up and personalize your Orbi WiFi System. With the app, you can install the Orbi mesh network system in just a few steps; simply connect your compatible Apple iOS or Android device to the router network and the app will walk you through the rest. Once set up, you can use the intuitive dashboard to pause Internet on your connected devices, run a quick Internet speed test, setup Smart Parental Controls and much more.
- Parental Controls & Internet Filter: Parents can filter online content and limit time online as well as set an Internet bedtime for every connected device in the home. Easily pause the Internet and check what kids are up to online.
- Remote Management: The Orbi app lets you easily monitor and control your home WiFi from anywhere. You can even setup Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant voice commands for your network using the new remote management feature.
Voice Control: Control your Orbi mesh WiFi network with voice commands using Amazon Alexa & the Google Assistant (devices sold separately). When you enable the Orbi to work with Alexa or Google Assistant, you can use voice commands to configure your router's settings. You can also ask Alexa or Google to send your network credentials to your smartphone or tablet, which makes accessing your credentials more convenient while still keeping your information secure. In addition, you can ask Alexa or Google to enable/disable the guest network and reboot the router.
- Before you enable the Orbi router to work with Alexa or Google, you must download the NETGEAR Orbi app, create a remote access account, and register your router with your remote access account.
- There are two ways to enable the Orbi router to work with Alexa or Google. You can use the command "Alexa, enable the NETGEAR skill," or "Ok Google, talk to NETGEAR," or you can manually link the NETGEAR skill to your Alexa or Google Home app.
Mounting Options: You can wall-mount the Orbi outdoor satellite using the included bracket or attach the the supplied stand to place the Orbi on a table-top.
Firmware Updates: Click here for the latest firmware updates.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.