Voxx CarLink ASCL4
Track your vehicle, access diagnostic info, and start your vehicle through your portable device or computer
Our take on the Voxx CarLink ASCL4 by Crutchfield's Dominic DeVito
CarLink keeps you in touch with your vehicle
Driver tracking and safety, remote start, roadside assistance, and saving money — that's a lot to ask of one device. The CarLink GPS tracker from Voxx lets you do it all through one simple module that installs in your vehicle's OBD-II port without tools. All you need to do is create an online account and you'll have instant access to your car's whereabouts and mechanical health from nearly anywhere.
Plugs right in for instant updates
Plug the CarLink into your car's OBD-II port (typically located under the steering wheel) — it's that easy. Then log in to Voxx's CarLink website to register your vehicle, choose a plan, and activate your account. You'll be able to start tracking your vehicle from your computer, tablet, or smartphone once your registration is complete. Got a fleet of vehicles at your disposal? You can manage an unlimited number of devices from one account.
The service plans available for CarLink are (plans and prices subject to change without notice):
- Basic: 1 year of remote start and remote access free, then $59.99/year after that. Additional parts and installation may be required for remote start and/or access.
- Premium: 6 months of remote start and remote access, roadside assistance, crash notification, stolen vehicle recovery, vehicle reports, and safe driver features free, then $9.99/month after that. Additional parts and installation may be required for remote start and/or access.
- Fleet: contact CarLink for available plans.
Tap into your car from far away
If you have installed a car security system that includes remote start, you can use the CarLink smartphone app to get your car revved up while you're still in your pajamas. You can also adjust the climate controls to warm up or cool down the car while you're indoors. Let's say you need to let someone in the car to get something, and you're miles away. If your security system includes keyless entry, you can even unlock and lock the doors remotely with your smartphone.
Stay on top of your vehicle's whereabouts
The CarLink utilizes wireless technology to provide the location, direction, speed, and history of your vehicle, including a path you can revisit later. The interface makes it easy to set geo-fence zones, so you'll always know where your vehicle is going. You can track your vehicle's location every 5 minutes when it's running, and every hour when it's not. You'll also be able to see its past history for the past 24 hours.
Got a teen who might be tempted to drive astray? You can establish geo-fence zones such as school, work, or home to make sure they're arriving safely and on time. The locator will send email or text alerts to your smartphone, tablet, or computer so you'll instantly be aware of boundary exits, which can be a real lifesaver if your vehicle gets towed or stolen.
If you find yourself constantly challenged to locate your vehicle in large parking lots, the "Locate Now" feature guides you back to your wheels no matter where you are, via walking instructions on nearly every type of smartphone.
Keep your phone out of the picture
The CarLink lets you access the free ZoomSafer app for your driver's Android™ or BlackBerry® smartphone. Once installed on the driver's phone, the app allows the account holder to block the phone's texting and emailing functions while the vehicle is running, and limit the number of contacts available for hands-free calling. The app will even send a text message back to the original texter or caller informing them that the driver is busy.
The ZoomSafer app is also available for most Apple iOS devices, but functionality may vary.
Make safe and efficient driving fun
The CarLink's built-in accelerometer measures hard braking, fast acceleration, sharp turning, and other extreme driving maneuvers, recording these instances in a printable report which the user can review. If you've got a suspected leadfoot in the family, you can track exactly when and where they were putting the pedal to the metal. The CarLink report also includes a "driver score" for safe driving, which can be tracked and improved upon over time.
The CarLink also monitors daily driving habits for fuel consumption, including real-time miles per gallon. It can generate a report of your driving efficiency, with indicators for where you can improve your car's performance, including optimum speed and where you're idling the most often.
Stay on top of your car's health
Diagnostic trouble codes can be a real hassle for just about everyone but professional mechanics. You can save yourself a costly trip to the garage with the CarLink in your vehicle — it allows quick access to your vehicle's diagnostic information, including issues that'll trigger your "Check Engine" light. In many cases you'll be given a health rating for each specific problem. It'll let you know if your battery is delivering an inconsistent or unsafe voltage, or if it's nearly dead.
CarLink can even generate a monthly health report which summarizes your driver scoring, recall information, fuel economy, trip overview, and emissions status. You can also use the account to schedule reminders for regular vehicle maintenance, such as fluids, belts, wiper blades, brakes, and more.
Roadside assistance and crash response
Nobody wants to get into a car accident, but it can happen at any time. Voxx has crash agents on hand 24/7 to call nearby authorities if you've been involved in a crash — the CarLink sends out an Auto Crash SOS automatically when a collision is detected. You'll be the first person the agents call, and if they can't get hold of you, nearby emergency personnel will be contacted with your car's location.
Voxx's Emergency Response Center is available through the CarLink smartphone app around the clock in case you need roadside assistance. If you've got a flat tire, run out of gas, or have another issue with your vehicle, they can send someone to your location.
Find your stolen car
Nobody wants their car to get stolen, either, but if that happens, you can rest easy knowing that CarLink's on the case. Just call the Emergency Response Center and report your vehicle is missing, and they'll get in touch with the police and share your vehicle's location with them to assist in recovery.
Save on auto insurance
CarLink has partnered with nearly two dozen insurance providers to help you save up to 15% on your yearly insurance bill. You just have to opt in to their Insurance Discount Program after creating your CarLink account online. You'll then have to share 50 miles of your driving history with your insurance provider before they offer a new quote, which you are free to decline if you wish.
Note: In certain vehicles, the CarLink module may interfere with driver's knees or you may want to hide the device away. Audiovox's OBDHAR Y-harness accessory offers a simple solution.
- connected car adapter/telematics device with Bluetooth
- plugs into vehicle's OBD-II port
- compatible with most Android, iPhone, and BlackBerry devices (free CarLink app required)
- monitor vehicle using phone or computer
- locks/unlocks vehicle doors and remotely starts vehicle (installed remote start/car security system with keyless entry required)
- assign geo-fences remotely
- access vehicle diagnostic codes and set maintenance reminders
- records and reports unsafe driving practices
- records and reports fuel efficiency
- monthly vehicle health reports including fuel efficiency and driver scoring
- find your car in a crowded parking lot through your phone
- automatic collision notification to Voxx agents
- 24/7 roadside and crash assistance
- access to ZoomSafer smartphone app to prohibit texting and emailing while driving
- eligibility for insurance discount through partnered providers upon submission of recorded driving history
- monthly or yearly subscription fee required
- dimensions: 1-3/4"W x 2-9/16"H x 1"D
- warranty: 3 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- CarLink ASCL4 module (with OBDII connector)
- 25" CCRSHAR harness (right-angled 2.5mm sub mini plug on one end and 4 multi-pin plugs on other end)
- HWAS406B harness adapter (4-pin male-to-4-pin female plugs)
- Quick Reference Dealer Install Guide
- CarLink User Quick Reference Guide
- CCRSHR diagram
Overview: CarLink by Audiovox is a smartphone interface that provides a wide array of connected services designed for safety, convenience, and to save you money. The ASCL4 CarLink module connects to your car's diagnostic connector (OBDII), and communicates via the nationwide 3G wireless network. It also works with select aftermarket remote start and car security products to give you extra protection.
Safety Features: CarLink offers many safety features designed to protect you and your passengers in an emergency:
- Roadside Assistance: If you have a flat tire, run out of gas, or break down on the highway, you can contact 24-hour Emergency Roadside Assistance to come to your aid.
- Auto Crash SOS: The CarLink module's built-in accelerometer can detect when the vehicle is involved in a crash, and can send a message automatically to a 24-hour Emergency Response Center.
- Emergency Response: When you need help, CarLink will allow you to contact a 24-hour Emergency Response call center from your smartphone when you're in the vehicle.
- Safe Driving Tools: CarLink options allow you to activate tools for younger drivers, such as Text Blocking, Geo-fencing, Trip Summaries, and Driver Scoring reports.
- Stolen Vehicle Assistance: Should your vehicle get stolen, you can assist the authorities by sharing the vehicle location using CarLink to help them recover the vehicle.
Convenience Services: With CarLink, you can lock and unlock the doors, pop the trunk, and start the vehicle (if you have a remote starter installed). The module also helps you to locate your vehicle in a large parking lot, or help authorities to track it down in case it's stolen.
Third Party Compatibility: CarLink is designed to work with many third party security and remote start systems. When integrated with these systems, CarLink can be used to remotely start your vehicle, or control your door locks from virtually anywhere. CarLink can also inform you (via your smartphone) when some event or zone violation has triggered your car alarm, or provide confirmation of remote start or door lock status.
Note: The CarLink module is compatible with Code Alarm, Prestige, Pursuit, Flashlogic, Omega, and many other aftermarket car security and remote start systems. The wiring harness (CCRSHR) that comes with the CarLink module has plugs for Voxx, Compustar/Omega, DEI (Directed Electronics), and Avital control modules. An adapter (HWAS406B) is included for use with AS9234, AS9233ST, and older model Prestige/Pursuit (N series and older) systems.
Savings: In addition to Convenience and Safety, CarLink can potentially save you money through the following features:
- Insurance: The Car Insurance Discount Program may be able to reduce your insurance premiums when you drive safely. By joining the program, approximately 50 miles of your driving data will be shared with the insurance carrier you select. The carrier will review the driving data and provide you a quote. If the quote is less than you're currently paying for car insurance, you can accept the new policy to start saving.
- Vehicle Maintenance: CarLink can offer savings on general vehicle maintenance, by reporting on hundreds of vehicle functions. If your "Check Engine" light comes on, CarLink can provide the source of the problem before you take your vehicle in for service.
- Fuel Costs: Driving Reports will identify driving behavior that lowers your vehicle's fuel efficiency, such as rapid acceleration, hard braking, and driving at high speeds. By avoiding these behaviors, you will save money on fuel costs. If you use your vehicle on business, your can use CarLink to accurately track your mileage for your expense reports.
Smartphone Compatibility: CarLink is compatible with iPhone and Android smartphones. The CarLink App is available from the Apple App Store and requires iOS 4.0 or later, and from Google Play, requiring Android 2.2 and up.
Service Plan: CarLink requires no contract or activation fee. Two Service Plans are available from CarLink: a Remote Start Basic plan is $59.99 per year, and an All-On Premium plan is $9.99 per month. First-time activation on a new CarLink device comes with your choice of 1 year of Remote Start Basic or 6 months of All-On Premium at no charge. Fleet Management and Service Center CRM (customer relationship management) service plans are also available from CarLink.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
4 questions already asked
This is not a stand-alone device. You'll need a compatible aftermarket remote start/alarm system for it's integration capabilities (remote start, lock, unlock, trunk release, etc.). "CarLink requires no contract or activation fee. Two Service Plans are available from CarLink: a Remote Start Basic plan is $59.99 per year, and an All-On Premium plan is $9.99 per month. First-time activation on a new CarLink device comes with your choice of 1 year of Remote Start Basic or 6 months of All-On Premium at no charge." You will find this information, and more, by clicking the "Details" tab on the product's main webpage. For additional assistance and personalized recommendations, feel free to contact us directly by phone or through our online chat service: https://www.crutchfield.com/support/ContactUs.aspx [ Ryan Jan 19, 2018 ] Staff
This device does not include a SIM card. Can only be activated with one of CarLink's monthly subscription plans. Bought this for a peace of mind for my teen driver. Also had a feeling she was not telling me the truth about where she was so I located the car and grounded her for two weeks! [ Christopher Dec 16, 2017 ]
There is no removable sim card. The unit has no accessible slots or ports for a sim card. I think it is fixed for AT&T service. You might get several months free service from some suppliers but the bottom line is you will end up paying for service at some point. [ Jerome Dec 16, 2017 ]
It sure will! This just needs an ODBII port to connect and then a compatible smart phone to run the app. Some features need a remote start/keyless entry system to work. Feel free to contact an advisor on 1-800-324-9695 for help with getting those abilities to work. My Bio: http://www.crutchfield.com/Support/Bio.aspx?bio=101 [ Paul Aug 07, 2017 ] Staff
No it is not. This plugs into the OBD-II port of your vehicle and I looked up a 1995 Toyota Camry and see it uses an OBD-I port so it would not fit. I think the 1996 was first year of Camry with the OBD-II port. You should look it up or check your vehicle manual to confirm the port version. [ Jerome Mar 28, 2017 ]