Bang & Olufsen Beoplay A1
Portable Bluetooth® speaker (Black)
Our take on the Bang & Olufsen Beoplay A1 by Crutchfield's Jeff Miller
On-the-go listening just got a tasteful makeover
You can grab the BeoPlay A1 (pictured in the color Natural) by the premium leather strap and take music anywhere.
Bang & Olufsen makes some of the most visually interesting audio gear I've seen, and the BeoPlay A1 Bluetooth speaker is no exception. It's their smallest and most portable speaker to date, and boasts the company's trademark flair. But the A1 is more than just pleasing to the eye — the splash-resistant aluminum frame and double-molded rubber base make it light, sturdy, and durable, too.
Combine that understated ruggedness with extended battery life, and this speaker is as comfortable playing music around a campfire as it is in your apartment. Your phone or tablet supply the tunes wirelessly thanks to built-in Bluetooth. And the A1's smooth, symmetrical design is easy to grab in one hand and compact enough to fit easily into your bag.
Up to 24 hours of battery life
The BeoPlay A1 owes its extended playing time to both the built-in rechargeable battery and B&O's efficient power management system. This system cuts down on wasted power by monitoring and anticipating the amount of amplification needed to drive the speaker. At certain volume levels, you can get up to 24 hours of battery life.
(For reference, our customers have told us that this speaker's bigger sibling, the BeoPlay A2, didn't last quite that long at common listening levels. But you can still expect to get plenty of music for a full, relaxing day at the beach, without stressing over a power outlet.)
Big sound for its size
Inside the BeoPlay A1 there are two small-but-powerful drivers. A 3-1/2" aluminum cone woofer delivers smooth mids, along with bigger bass than you'd expect from such a small, travel-friendly speaker. A 3/4" tweeter covers the high frequencies, and a pair of 30-watt Class D amplifiers provide the power. B&O's processing keeps the speaker from distorting, even at higher volume levels. You can also download a free app for Apple® and Android™ that gives you the ability to dial in your sound preferences.
Bluetooth lets you stream music and take calls in the office or the outdoors (A1 pictured in Moss Green).
Bluetooth 4.2 for clearer music and phone calls
Bang & Olufsen equipped the BeoPlay A1 with Bluetooth 4.2. This includes support for aptX® audio coding for higher-fidelity sound from compatible phones and devices.
Bluetooth also lets you use the A1 as a speakerphone. (In fact, it kind of looks like something you might see on a boardroom table.) A built-in mic lines the perimeter of the speaker to clearly capture your voice all around.
- built-in Bluetooth streams music wirelessly from your smartphone, tablet, or other compatible device
- Bluetooth 4.2 including aptX technology for high-fidelity streaming with compatible devices
- built-in rechargeable lithium ion battery lasts up to 24 hours
- built-in omnidirectional mic for wireless speakerphone operation
- solid aluminum frame and durable polymer base provide stability for reduced resonance
- splash- and dust-resistant
- one 3-1/2" mid-woofer and one 3/4" tweeter
- built-in Class D amplifiers (30 watts x 2)
- BeoPlay app available for download at iTunes® app store and Google Play store
- app allows you to manually adjust the tone of your music
- two BeoPlay A1 speakers can sync together into a stereo pair
- stereo minijack input for portable devices
- AC power adapter/charger
- USB mini-C input for charging via your computer (cable included)
- premium leather strap
- designed by Cecilie Manz
- 5-1/4"W x 1-14/16"H x 5-1/4"D
- weight: 1.3 lbs.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- Bluetooth portable speaker
- Leather strap (installed)
- 4' USB-C to USB-A cable
- User Guide
The sound is purely exceptional. So far the best portable wireless speaker in the market.
Rob, Alhambra, CA
Bang & Olufsen Beoplay A1 Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|NFC Touch Pairing||No|
Built-In Bluetooth: The BeoPlay A1 offers built-in Bluetooth (version 4.0) with support for wireless music streaming (A2DP) and hands-free communication (HFP). The speaker can pair with your Bluetooth device with a single press of a button and no PIN entry.
- Bluetooth Music Streaming (A2DP): With support for Bluetooth A2DP wireless audio streaming, you'll be able to stream stored music and music apps from your Bluetooth-enabled Apple iPod/iPhone/iPad, Android smartphone/tablet, Windows PC, Mac computer, Blackberry, and more to the BeoPlay A1 speaker system. You'll continue to use your compatible Bluetooth-enabled device to control music playback functions and view song/artist information.
- Hands-Free Communication (HFP): BeoPlay A1 has a built-in microphone and mic button which allows you to answer and end calls, as well as dial out using voice recognition (phone must also support voice dial function). When there is an incoming call, your music will be paused and the callers voice will be heard through the Bluetooth speaker, while you carry on your side of the conversation through the built-in microphone. Advance phone functions will still need to be done from your smartphone.
Note: Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the BeoPlay A1.
Two-Way Driver Design: The BeoPlay A1 features a two-way driver design with one 0.75" tweeter and one 3.5" woofer powered by a 30W RMS (140W Peak) x 2ch Class D amplifier for an audible range from 60Hz-24,000Hz. Bass extension is greater than you'd imagine for something so small. Armed with a new aluminum core woofer with a powerful magnetic system it can deliver full-range sound with great character even at low frequency levels (down to 60Hz).
Rugged Housing: The BeoPlay A1 combines a double-molded polymer base with a rounded aluminum grill to form a strong protective shell for the Bluetooth speaker. Splash and dust resistant, the BeoPlay A1 is designed to take its fair share of bumps and scrapes while still protecting the delicate drivers and electronics inside.
BeoPlay App: Download the BeoPlay App onto your Apple iPod/iPhone/iPad (iOS 8.0+) or Android smartphone/tablet (OS 5.0+) for additional unique features like Preset Sound Profiles and Wireless Stereo Pairing, plus reminders of firmware updates.
- Preset Sound Profiles: Preset sound profiles can be selected to match your mood and enhance listening pleasure based on your activity.
- Wireless Stereo Pairing: Using the BeoPlay app, you can wirelessly pair two BeoPlay A1 speakers together for stereo sound.
- Firmware Updates: The BeoPlay app lets you know, whenever there is an update for the BeoPlay A1 speaker.
Aux Input: In addition to Bluetooth wireless connectivity, the BeoPlay A1 is fitted with a stereo minijack (3.5mm) input for connecting an external portable audio device with a headphone jack or analog output.
Leather Strap: A leather strap is included for added convenience when carrying the BeoPlay A1 with you, or use it to hang the speaker on the wall.
Rechargeable Battery: The BeoPlay A1 features a built-in rechargeable lithium-ion battery (7.4V/2200mAh) which can last up to 24 hours. The speaker comes with a USB charging cable which can be plugged into a free USB-A port on your computer or a USB/AC power adapter to recharge the battery. Charging times takes approximately 3 hours. An LED indicates battery status.
- Flashing Orange: The speaker's battery indicator will flash orange when charging.
- Solid Green: The LED turns solid green when the battery is fully charged.
- Solid Red: When the batter level below 15%, the LED will turn solid red.
- Flashing Red: When the battery level is below 10%, the LED indicator will flash red.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Why did you buy this?
I have bought many B & O products in the past. Can't get better than this [ Maris Aug 10, 2018 ]
Great reviews and great reputation. [ Christopher Aug 31, 2018 ]
Quality of B&O [ Barry Oct 25, 2016 ]
Because I have never had a bad product from B&O and their sound quality usually blows most competitors away and my daughter loved the design. However, the B&W was quite tempting, I may be back for that one for me. [ guy Jul 28, 2016 ]
I trust the Crutchfield Scratch & Dent program that offered this versatile, top-tier portable Bluetooth speaker at a best price. Included the full B&O Play product warranty and Crutchfield 60-day money-back guarantee. [ Jeff Jul 25, 2016 ]
I own other B&O products and have always been very pleased with the quality. This Bluetooth speaker from B&O comes highly rated and I expect it will work well for my intended use in the office. Cool looking design as well. [ Gregory J. May 20, 2016 ]
Strong reviews. Like BeoPlay products. [ Hans Aug 21, 2018 ]
Had this demonstrated to myself and my 18 year old daughter and SHAZAM is was a fabulous speaker for our vacations!!! [ s green Jul 07, 2016 ]
I'm replacing a broken Jambox and the BeoPlay A1 has the best combination of design and sound at that price point. I considered the BeoPlay A2 but it doesn't have speakerphone capabilities. Also looked at the Harmon/Kardon Esquire 2 but decided to go with the B&O. [ H May 23, 2016 ]