Bang & Olufsen Beoplay M5
Powered speaker with Wi-Fi® and Bluetooth® (Natural)
Bang & Olufsen Beoplay M5 - Natural - part of the BeoPlay multi-room wireless system (A9 and A6 speakers available separately)
Bang & Olufsen Beoplay M5 - Natural - Trusound 360 allows placement just about anywhere in your room
Our take on the Bang & Olufsen Beoplay M5 by Crutchfield's Ralph Graves
The Beoplay M5's simple cylindrical design fits with virtually any decor.
A simple, elegant speaker packed with wireless features
The Bang & Olufsen Beoplay M5 powered speaker is amazingly simple to use — its aluminum top is an intuitive touch controller. And this speaker is compatible with virtually every wireless technology. Stream Bluetooth from your smartphone or tablet. Use it with your home Wi-Fi® network. It comes with Spotify ® Connect, Apple® AirPlay®, Chromecast built-in, and DLNA — lots of ways to connect to your favorite music. Plus, the M5 can be part of a Beoplay multi-room audio system for even more entertainment options.
Innovative audio design
The cylindrical Beoplay M5 features three evenly spaced 3/4" tweeters for clean, clear highs. A front-facing 1-1/2" full-range driver delivers rich midrange, and a down-firing 5-1/2" woofer provides the bass frequencies. The positioning of these five speakers, along with Bang & Olufsen's True360 sound technology, creates an omnidirectional soundfield. Class D amplifiers ensure accurate sound reproduction. No matter where you place the M5 in your room, you'll hear full, well-balanced sound.
Built-in Bluetooth 4.0 lets you stream high-quality sound from your smartphone or tablet. Built-in Wi-Fi® connects the Beoplay M5 to your home network and the internet.
Own an iPhone®, iPad®, Apple Watch® or Mac®? The M5 has built-in Apple AirPlay®. You can even use your Apple Watch to control the system.
Prefer your Android™ smartphone, tablet, or PC? Use DLNA for advanced streaming options. And the speaker has Spotify Connect built-in for use with both Apple and Android devices.
Versatile multi-room audio
Bang & Olufsen Beoplay gear uses Chromecast built-in to create a multi-room wireless audio network. Download the free Beoplay control app from either the Apple App Store or Google Play to start. The app lets you remotely control your M5, as well other BeoPlay speakers in your home.
The app has Deezer built in for additional music choices, plus TuneIn so you can enjoy internet radio stations from around the world. You can have all your Beoplay speakers play the same song throughout your home, or have each speaker play a different song from a different source — or any combination in between.
Roon-compatible for serious music lovers
The M5 is also compatible with Roon, a subscription digital music player you download to your smartphone, tablet, or computer. It gives you multi-room audio playback for all your Chromecast-compatible devices and more. Roon accesses your digital music collection from your iTunes library or NAS drive. It also works with your TIDAL subscription. Roon lets you do deep dives into your music, showing artist bios, photos, reviews, and lyrics. Roon can also suggest other artists and songs based on your selections, making it easy to discover new music you'll enjoy.
- built-in Bluetooth 4.0 for high-quality streaming from smartphones and tablets
- Spotify Connect built-in
- Apple AirPlay for streaming music from an iPhone, iPod, or computer's iTunes®
- DLNA for streaming from Android™ smartphone, tablets, and compatible PCs
- Google Chromecast built-in
- True360 sound technology creates an omnidirectional soundfield
- three 3/4" tweeters, one 1-1/2" full-range driver, and one 5-1/2" woofer for low frequencies
- four Class D amplifiers for accurate sound
- total system power: 130 watts
- frequency response: 37-22,000 Hz
- touch-sensitive controls
- Beoplay App:
- free download from Apple® App Store and Google Play
- Apple Watch® app control
- Deezer music streaming service built-in
- TuneIn internet radio built-in
- control multiple M6 speakers and compatible Beoplay speakers to play the same song simultaneously or different songs in different rooms
- customizable speaker and group names
- displays current song and artist information
- Live Search to find radio stations playing specific song or artist
- Ethernet port for a wired connection to your home network
- stereo minijack input for portable devices
- USB port for software updates
- custom designer fabric covering
- requires AC power, power cable included
- 6-9/16"W x 7-5/16"H x 6-9/16"D
- weight: 5.6 lbs.
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- Wireless network audio speaker
- 58" AC power cord
- Quick Start Guide
The BeoPlay M5 is an excellent portable speaker; perfect for porches, patios and pool areas. Great sound, small, light weight and pleasing to look at.
Frank, Wake Forest, NC
Bang & Olufsen Beoplay M5 Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
BeoPlay M5: The B&O BeoPlay M5 is a wireless powered speaker that can function as a standalone speaker system or be connected to other BeoPlay speakers (sold separately) across multiple rooms. It offers Band & Olufsen's signature sound with wireless connectivity for Chromecast, AirPlay, and Bluetooth.
True360 Sound: The BeoPlay M5 has True360 sound that lets you enjoy equally good sound no matter where you are placed relative to the speaker. Three evenly distributed tweeters, a front facing midrange driver, and a powerful woofer that fires its energy down towards a carefully designed disperser, provide a uniform dispersion of well-balanced Bang & Olufsen Signature Sound all around the room. 130 watts (RMS)/460 watts (Peak) of Class-D amplification delivers plenty of power to all the drivers for full-range sound that fills the room.
- Multiple Drivers: Three 0.75" tweeters, one 1.5" midrange driver, and a 5" woofer.
- Class-D Amplification: 30W (RMS)/120W (Peak) to the front tweeter, 30W (RMS)/60W (Peak) to the rear tweeters, 30W (RMS)/120W (Peak) to the midrange driver, and 40W (RMS)/160W (Peak) to the woofer.
Wired or Wireless Network Connection: The BeoPlay M5 provides wired and wireless connectivity to your home network. It has a RJ-45 Ethernet jack for its wired connection and features built-in WiFi for a wireless connection. The built-in WiFi supports 2.4GHz and 5GHz (a/b/g/n) networks.
BeoPlay App: The BeoPlay App (for Apple iOS 9.0+ or Android OS 5.0+) lets you configure and control the BeoPlay speaker system from your compatible Apple iOS or Android device. It offers wireless network setup, access to your music and select music apps, multiroom control, and EQ settings.
- Network Setup: You wirelessly connect the BeoPlay speaker system to your home network and WiFi router via the BeoPlay app on your smartphone or tablet device.
- Music Playback: The BeoPlay App aggregates music stored on your
mobile device, your DLNA content, select music services and Internet radio
into one interface. All this content can be streamed to the BeoPlay speaker
system via a WiFi wireless network connection. The BeoMusic App will provide
you with a quick overview and swift control of what is currently playing,
regardless of source.
- Spotify Connect: The integration of Spotify Connect will enable Spotify Premium users to instantly see, select and stream to the speaker from within the Spotify app (Apple iOS or Android). Spotify Connect will stream crystal-clear lossless audio over WiFi to the BeoPlay speaker system. Once Spotify Connect is selected on the the BeoPlay app, it will take you to the Spotify app for control.
- TuneIn: With more than 70,000 radio stations and 2 million on-demand programs registered, TuneIn is an online Internet Radio service where you can enjoy music, sports and news from all over the world.
- Deezer: Enjoy full integration with the Deezer music streaming service. Use the app to navigate and search over 35 million tracks, access your playlists and add new songs to your favorites with just one click.
- Multiroom: From the app you can unite multiple BeoPlay
speaker systems (sold separately) to play different music sources from
within in different rooms, or let one tune flow throughout your home. You
get a quick and simple overview of the music in every room and can control
it from wherever you are with the BeoMusic App on your compatible mobile
- Compatible Sources: Compatible sources include the stored music library on Apple iOS or Android device, select online music services (Deezer & TuneIn), Bluetooth, AirPlay and Aux.
- Compatible Speakers: Multiroom compatible speakers include the BeoPlay M3, M5, A6, and A9 (all sold separately - see Accessories Tab).
- EQ: The BeoPlay app also offer Position Optimization Settings to maximize the quality of sound depending if the speaker is placed in a corner, by a wall, or in free space.
Chromecast Built-In: Chromecast Built-in lets you instantly stream select music apps from your Apple iOS or Android mobile device to the BeoPlay M5 speaker system. Unlike Bluetooth, Chromecast Built-in works over WiFi so you can connect more than one device to the M5 speaker system at a time and control what's playing from anywhere in the house on your mobile device. Because the music apps are streamed from the cloud, you get crystal clear sound and your mobile device's battery won't drain as fast compared to Bluetooth.
- Supported Content: Chromecast Built-in offers Internet Radio apps like TuneIn & iHeart Radio; plus online music service apps like Pandora, Spotify (requires Premium subscription), Google Play Music, and more. You can even mirror exactly what's playing on your Android phone or tablet to the BeoPlay M5 speaker. Or, if you're on your laptop or computer, you can also cast any music streaming website through the Chrome browser.
- Simple-to-Use: Simply tap the Cast button from a Chromecast Built-in compatible music app to start streaming to the BeoPlay M5 speaker. You can even adjust the volume or change the song, right from your mobile device. And with Chromecast built-in, you can keep using your phone to send texts, answer calls, and scroll through social media without disturbing your music.
- Google Home: Multiple Chromecast Built-in speakers can be added to the same WiFi network to form a multiroom audio system using the Google Home app. Using the Google Home app for Apple iOS 8.0+ and Android OS 4.0.3+, you can sync multiple speakers with Chromecast Built-in in multiple rooms of your home to play the same song throughout your house at the same time. Only Chromecast Built-in compatible music apps are supported.
- Voice Control (Optional): Purchase the Google Home Wireless Speaker (8064658762, sold separately) and gain voice control of compatible Chromecast Built-in music apps. You'll be able to access a specific music app and then select a specific station or song using only your voice. You'll also have voice control over Play, Pause, Skip, & Volume. The BeoPlay M5 & the Google Home Speaker must be connected to the same wireless (WiFi) network.
Note: Chromecast Built-in is a cloud based function and requires that the BeoPlay M5 and your Apple iOS or Android mobile device are on the same wireless network, and have access to the Internet.
AirPlay: AirPlay lets you wirelessly stream music directly from your Apple iOS device (running iOS 4.3.3+) or from your iTunes library on your Windows (XP-up) or Mac computer (running iTunes 10.2.2+) to the BeoPlay M5 speaker system, over your home's WiFi network. By downloading Apple' free Remote App onto your iPod touch, iPhone, or iPad you don't even need to be in the same room as the speaker or your computer to play, pause, skip, and stop the songs in your iTunes music library. AirPlay can be enabled to work with multiroom distrubtion through the BeoPlay app.
Note: AirPlay requires that the M5 and your Apple iOS device or computer are on the same wireless network.
DLNA: The BeoPlay M5 is DLNA compliant for playback of various music files (MP3, AAC, FLAC, & WAV) stored on your Windows PC or DLNA-certified NAS drive connected to your home network. Use the BeoMusic app on your Apple iOS or Android device to access these music files. MAC OSX computers and laptops require third party software to be visible on the network (Twonky, Plex, Servio etc.) as they do not support DLNA. DLNA works with multiroom distribution through the BeoPlay app.
Bluetooth 4.0: The BeoPlay M5 offers built-in Bluetooth 4.0 with support for wireless music streaming (A2DP). You'll be able to stream stored music and music apps from your Bluetooth-enabled Apple iPod/iPhone/iPad, Android smartphone/tablet, Windows PC/Phone, Mac computer/laptop and more to the BeoPlay M5 speaker system. You'll continue to use your compatible Bluetooth-enabled source device to control music playback functions and view song/artist information. The speaker can pair with up to 8 devices, but only one device can be used for playback at a time. Once paired, the M5 will automatically re-connect with your device when in wireless range (up to 33'). Bluetooth can also be distributed to multiple BeoPlay speakers (sold separately) that support multiroom audio through the BeoPlay app.
3.5mm Combination Jack (Analog/Digital): The BeoPlay M5 is fitted with a 3.5mm combination jack that supports analog & digital audio signals (up to 2ch PCM). The 3.5mm combo jack accepts a stereo minijack analog audio cable or a mini-toslink digital audio cable (both sold separately). This combination input even supports multiroom distribution through the BeoPlay app.
Woven Wool Crafted Grille: The BeoPlay M5's wrap-around grille is produced by renowned Danish textile manufacturer, Kvadrat. All Kvadrat products are made from premium-quality materials and are expertly crafted. The grille is made from woven wool and is carefully designed to enhance acoustics.
Aluminum Top-Panel Controls: The speaker top is an aluminum disc that incorporates volume and connection controls that respond with a soft touch. The aluminum disc on the top of the BeoPlay M5 is produced from pearl-blasted aluminum that is naturally anodized in a carefully selected hue with a tactile finish. It is both beautiful and highly functional.
- Volume: With 15% movement in each direction, you simply turn-and-hold the aluminum disc to adjust volume levels. When the disk is turned to adjust the volume, it returns to the central position using a viscosity-based action.
- Multiroom Connection: Simply tap the top-panel aluminum disc to join existing BeoPlay multiroom speaker groups.
Power Requirements: The BeoPlay M5 wireless audio speaker system comes with a 58" detachable AC power cord which must be plugged into an AC wall outlet, surge protector, or power conditioner.
Note: The BeoPlay M5 is not battery powered.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Why did you buy this?
I wanted a speaker that was high-end and had great fidelity. Some of the other brands had lower prices, but this is a gift for my husband so I went all out. If I understand what I read, it is a plug-in speaker, which is what I wanted. And it's B & O! [ JOE Sep 13, 2018 ]
LOVE THEIR PRODUCT [ Roberto Aug 24, 2017 ]