Professional 4K Ultra HD camcorder
Item # 280XC10 | MFR # 0565C013
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Canon XC10 by Crutchfield's Deia Z.
The Canon XC-10 has a rotating handgrip for comfortable photo and video shooting.
Where video and still photography meet
To us, the Canon XC10 looks a lot like the camera of the future. Nearly equal parts camcorder and DSLR, it's loaded with features for capturing stunning 4K Ultra HD video and high-resolution still images. Whether you're a pro videographer in need of a capable second camera or a budget-conscious digital content creator in need of an all-in-one multimedia solution, the XC10 can deliver quality results. Unlike DSLRs, the XC10 is designed with an ergonomic rotating grip for comfortable handheld video shooting. And unlike most camcorders, the XC10 shoots high-quality 12-megapixel stills. You can also extract 8-megapixel still frames from 4K video, both in-camera and in post-production.
Ready to go at a moment's notice
Our own Crutchfield video team often makes quick "run and gun" videos with our advisors, to get their valuable input on different topics without taking too much time away from their work. A compact, lightweight camera like the XC10 is perfect for these shooting scenarios that require little prep time or little extra gear (though an external microphone is helpful for getting the best audio quality). The XC10's excellent low-light performance and built-in image stabilization system make it great for documenting authentic moments on the fly, indoors or out.
Rock-solid image stabilization
Shaky footage is one possible hazard of shooting handheld. During Full HD recording, the XC10 uses five-axis image stabilization that combines optical and electronic correction to help reduce image distortion when you and your camera are in motion. For 4K recording, you have three stabilization modes to choose from. Standard Mode uses lens shift to provide constant compensation throughout the zoom range. Powered Mode improves vibration suppression at longer focal lengths. Dynamic Mode stabilizes the image when walking and shooting handheld.
Built-in dual-band Wi-Fi®
The XC10 is even easy to use when it's out of your hands. Built-in Wi-Fi lets you control the camera with a mobile device or computer. And you can preview your saved photos on a computer without removing the memory card. Wi-Fi also enables FTP file transfer to Cloud-based servers for convenient back-ups. The camera's Wi-Fi operates at both 5 GHz and 2.4 GHz. Dual bands help ensure that the XC10 can send signals even in areas with increased interference.
- compact, ergonomic DSLR-style body
- removable viewfinder
- rotating handgrip allows for comfortable shooting at high and low angles
- dual band Wi-Fi enables remote viewing and control
- 3" tilting LCD touchscreen (1.03 million dots) helps with framing, playback, and selecting camera functions
- 4K-compatible, 12-megapixel 1" CMOS image sensor
- advanced DIGIC DV 5 image processor
- shoots video down to 1/4X slow motion and up to 1,200X fast-motion
- multiple "look" settings and Canon Log
- autofocus with face recognition and tracking
- 5-axis image stabilization in Full HD mode
- optical image stabilization modes for 4K: Dynamic, Standard and Powered
- ISO range: 160-20,000
- 8.3-megapixel still photos can be extracted from 4K video files
- wide-angle zoom lens:
- proprietary design optimized for shooting crisp 4K video
- 10X optical zoom
- 35mm equivalent focal length: 27.3-273mm
- UD (Ultra-low dispersion) and Hi-UD lens elements compensate for chromatic aberrations and provide compact size
- built-in ND filter
- built-in 2X teleconverter for magnification in MOVIE mode
- retractable lens barrel structure integrating internal guide bars helps facilitate precise lens movement during zoom
- separate focus and zoom rings for manual control
- attachment/filter size: 58mm
File Formats and Storage
- records photos in JPEG format
- top JPEG resolution (pixels): 4000 x 3000
- Uses new Canon XF-AVC codec for 4K video recording
- AVC/H 2.64 Full HD movies with stereo sound
- records 4K video to CFast™ cards (64GB card included)
- records HD video and still photos onto optional SD/SDHC/SDXC memory cards
Connections and Dimensions
- high-speed USB 2.0 interface (cable included)
- HDMI 1.4 output (cable included) allows 4K 30p playback on an Ultra HD TV
- accessory shoe on handle lets you add an optional flashes, video lights and more
- microphone and headphone jacks
- 4-15/16"W x 4"H x 4-13/16"D
- weight: 2.1 lbs.
- shoulder strap
- lens cap
- hood unit
- high-speed HDMI cable
- USB cable
- rechargeable LP-E6N battery pack
- compact power adapter
- RC-6 wireless remote control
- SanDisk 64GB CFast 2.0 memory card
- CFast card reader
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- XC10 Professional 4K camcorder
- E-58 II Lens Cap (installed)
- LP-E6N Lithium-ion rechargeable battery with attached terminal cover (7.2V 1865mAh 14Wh)
- CA-570 AC adapter with attached 56" DC output cord (DC output: 8.4V 1.5A)
- 5' AC cord (polarized C7 plug)
- Viewfinder unit
- Lens hood
- 2' IFC-300PCU/S USB cable (Mini USB Ver.2.0 connector on one end and Type-A USB connector on other end)
- 5' HTC-100/S HDMI cable (mini-HDMI on one end and full-sized HDMI on other end)
- RC-6 Wireless Remote Controller (with CR2032 Lithium button battery installed)
- Adjustable shoulder strap
- SanDisk Extreme PRO 64 GB CFast 2.0 memory card (separately boxed)
- SanDisk Extreme PRO CFast 2.0 reader/writer (separately boxed)
- Quick Guide
- Before Using the RC-6 Remote Controller sheet
- Optional Editing Software promotional sheet
- Canon Professional Services promo card
- Register Now card
- Warranty registration card
very nice camcorder, video quality is superb ,
elena, Brooklyn, NY
Canon XC10 Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|LCD Screen Size (inches)||3.0|
|Viewfinder||External VF unit|
|Total Pixel Count||13.36 MP|
|Effective Pixel Count for Video||8.29 MP|
|Optical Zoom||10 x|
|Image Stabilization||Optical + Digital|
|Built-in Video Light||No|
|Max Recording Time w/ Included Battery||2h 25m|
|Digital Still Camera Features|
|Effective Pixel Count for Stills||12 MP|
|Built-in Photo Flash||No|
|Still Image Aspect Ratios||16:9, 4:3, 3:2|
|Inputs and Outputs|
|USB Port||Mini-B 2.0 USB|
|Weight With Battery (ounces)||36.8|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|Image Sensor Warranty||1 Year|
Overview: The Canon XC10 professional 4K camcorder features a compact form factor that's more like a high-end DSLR than a pro camcorder. It can record 4K and Full HD video, as well as 12MP digital still images. The XC10 is ideal for advanced amateur photographers, professional videographers, digital filmmakers, and news journalists.
10x Optical Zoom Lens: The XC10 is equipped with a Canon 4K Video Lens with a 10x optical zoom. It offers a focal range of 24.1-241mm for still photos and 27.3-273mm for movies. Like a DSLR, the lens barrel extends and retracts as you zoom in and out, with a maximum extension of only 36.2mm. Unlike a DSLR, the lens is not interchangeable. The lens has separate zoom and focus rings for professional-style manual lens control. A bayonet-style lens hood is included to help block unwanted light from entering the lens. The lens' 58mm filter diameter allows you to add optional screw-on filters, if desired.
Viewfinder Unit: The XC10 includes a unique Viewfinder Unit, which clamps over the LCD panel to give you an up-close look at your subject. The Viewfinder Unit is simply a series of angled mirrors that reflects the LCD's image through the eyepiece. A large rubber eye cup blocks out excess light for better visibility. A dioptric adjustment lever lets you fine tune the image until it is sharp.
Image Sensor: The XC10 has a 12 Megapixel 1" 4K-compatible CMOS image sensor. It has 8.29 effective megapixels (3840 x 2160) for movies, and 12 effective megapixels (4000 x 3000) for photos. Coupled with the CMOS image sensor is Canon's DiG!C DV5 processor that enables you to shoot 4K video, slow and fast motion recording, and precise auto focus.
3" LCD Touch Panel Display: The XC10 features a 3" color LCD panel (1,030,000 dots) with a 3:2 aspect ratio. The electrostatic capacitance-type touch panel lets you use pinch-to-zoom actions to enlarge and reduce the size of the images and maneuver through the menu. The LCD panel has an adjustable angle to let you shoot in low- and high-angle situations.
Built-in Wi-Fi: The XC10 is equipped with built-in dual-band (5 GHz/2.4 GHz) Wi-Fi technology. You can control camcorder operations remotely from a web browser or on a compatible smartphone or computer through the Browser Remote Application. The Browser Preview app allows you to look at still photos stored in the camera without the need to remove the media from the camera.
Optional GPS: With the optional GP-E2 GPS Receiver (sold separately), you can acquire GPS location data and attach it to your movies and photos. The GPS receiver can also set the camcorder's time automatically.
Recording Formats: The camcorder utilizes Canon's new XF-AVC codec for 4K and Full HD recording. When recording in 4K, the XF-AVC Intra-frame encoding captures all of the detail and resolution of the CMOS sensor on a frame-by-frame basis for easier editing and extracting high-quality still images from the video. The camera uses AVC Long GOP encoding to maintain outstanding quality for HD recording up to 1080/60p. The audio is recorded in 2-channel Linear PCM (16-bit/48kHz) with different audio scenes to match the shooting situation (music, festival, speech, meeting, forest and birds, and noise suppression). Still photos are recorded in JPEG compression.
Recording Modes: The camcorder offers the following video recording modes:
|Movie Format||Frame Rate||Bit Rate||HDMI Output|
(3840 x 2160)
|29.97P||305 Mbps||3840 x 2160 / 29.97P |
1920 x 1080 / 59.94P
1920 x 1080 / 59.94i
720 x 480 / 59.94P
|23.98P||305 Mbps||3840 x 2160 / 23.98P |
1920 x 1080 / 59.94P
1920 x 1080 / 59.94i
720 x 480 / 59.94P
|Full HD |
1920 x 1080
|59.94P||50 Mbps||1920 x 1080 / 59.94P |
1920 x 1080 / 59.94i
720 x 480 / 59.94P
|59.94i||35 Mbps||1920 x 1080 / 59.94P |
1920 x 1080 / 59.94i
720 x 480 / 59.94P
Slow and Fast Motion Recording: The camcorder allows you to change the shooting frame rate to achieve a slow motion or fast motion effect during playback. You can record video with slow motion rates of 1/2x or 1/4x normal speed. Slow motion is not available when recording 4K clips. Available fast motion recording rates include 2x, 4x, 10x, 20x, 60x, 120x, and 1200x. Sound is not recorded in this special recording mode.
Pre-Recording: The Pre-Recording mode lets you start recording into a temporary memory so when you press the Start/Stop button, the clip will contain approximately 5 seconds of video and audio recorded before you pressed the button. Pre-recording is only available for HD clips.
Still Image Recording: The XC10 4K camcorder is also a high performance digital camera capable of capturing stunning JPEG photos. Photos are recorded at 4000 x 3000 (4:3), 4000 x 2664 (3:2), 3840 x 2160 (16:9), and 640 x 480 (4:3). You can also capture photos from recorded movies at 3840 x 2160 (4K clips), 1920 x 1080 (HD clips), and 1280 x 720 (HD clips in slow motion at x1/4).
Dual Memory Card Slots: The XC10 features dual slots with two types of recording media. The camera records 4K video to a CFast card, and HD video and still images to SD, SDHC, and SDXC memory cards. CFast, a variant of CompactFlash, was designed for the new generation of broadcast, cinema, and professional photography cameras, and supports a much higher maximum transfer rate than CompactFlash. A SanDisk Extreme PRO 64 GB CFast card is supplied with the XC10. It supports transfer speeds up to 515 MB/s (read speed) and 240 MB/s (write speed). A SanDisk CFast card reader/writer is also included. For shooting HD video (with bit rates of 35 Mbps) and still images, you should use an SD card with a Class 6 or Class 10 speed rating. For HD video with a bit rate of 50 Mbps, use a Class 10 speed rated card.
Adjustable Camera Grip: The XC10's grip can be rotated up to 90 degrees toward or away from the lens to give you a convenient grip angle for difficult shots.
Zoom Speed: The camcorder will zoom in and out as you turn the zoom ring on the lens. The zoom speed is variable, and depends upon how far you rotate the ring.
Digital Tele-Converter: You can digitally increase the focal length of the camcorder by a factor of approximately 2x and record the enlarged image at full 4K or HD resolution. You can set an assignable button to easily activate or deactivate the digital tele-converter.
8-Blade Circular Aperture: The lens has a newly developed 8-blade circular aperture. A circular aperture reduces the "starburst" effect found in camcorders with non-circular apertures, creating a more aesthetic background in the out-of-focus areas.
Dynamic Image Stabilizer: The XC10 has a Dynamic Optical Image Stabilizer system to compensate for camera shake. The Image Stabilization system provides continuous adjustment throughout the entire zoom range, plus extra compensation at wide-angle focal lengths. The system controls rotational camera shake, including horizontal, vertical, and roll axis, for smooth, distortion-free video. You can select the degree of compensation:
- Dynamic: Highest degree of compensation; most effective at wide angle zoom. (HD movies only)
- Standard: Compensates for a lower degree of camera shake
- Powered: Most effective when you are stationary and zooming in on faraway subjects. Not suitable for tilting and panning shots.
- Off: No compensation applied. Recommended when camera is on a tripod.
Focus Modes: The XC10 lets you adjust the focus in three ways:
- Autofocus (AF): The camcorder continuously adjusts the focus automatically. You can also use the focus ring with no physical stops.
- Manual Focus (MF): You can adjust the focus manually using the focus ring, the function menu, or remotely, using the Browser Remote application.
- Push AF: While using Manual Focus, you can temporarily switch to Autofocus as long as you hold down the Push AF button.
Face Detection: The camcorder can automatically detect people's faces and use this information to adjust the focus and set the best exposure and color control settings for beautiful videos and photos. When there are a number of people in the picture, one person will be determined to be the main subject. You can also select the main subject manually.
Auto Exposure Modes: The XC10's automatic exposure (AE) recording programs help you obtain the optimal exposure by adjusting the shutter speed and/or the aperture value. The auto exposure modes include:
- Auto: This mode lets the camcorder select various settings to save time.
- Programmed AE: The camcorder automatically adjusts both the aperture and shutter speed to obtain the optimal exposure for the subject. The ISO speed is also adjusted to obtain the optimal exposure.
- Shutter Priority: You choose the shutter speed to freeze or blur the shot while the camcorder selects the appropriate aperture for the scene. You can select 38 shutter speeds between 1/2 and 1/2000 in 1/4-stop increments for movies, or 31 shutter speeds between 1/2 and 1/2000 in 1/3-stop increments for photos.
- Aperture Priority: You choose the aperture to affect the depth of field and the camcorder selects the appropriate shutter speed for the scene. You can select aperture settings of F2.8 to F11 in 1/4-stop increments for movies, and in 1/3-stop increments for photos.
Manual Exposure Mode: In the Manual mode, you can enjoy full access to the menus and manually adjust the aperture, shutter speed, or ISO speed/gain.
Special Scene Recording Modes: The camcorder features the following Scene Recording Modes to match special conditions: Portrait, Sports, Night Scene, Snow, Beach, Sunset, Low Light, Spotlight, and Fireworks.
Minimum Illumination: The combination of the XC10's fast lens, image sensor, and image processor provide superb low light performance. The minimum illumination depends upon the frame rate and shutter speed:
|Shooting Mode||Minimum Illumination|
|Full Auto Mode: Frame Rate 59.94i, Shutter Speed 1/60||6.4 lux|
|Full Auto Mode: Frame Rate 29.97p, Shutter Speed 1/30||3.2 lux|
|Full Auto Mode: Frame Rate 23.98p, Shutter Speed 1/24||2.56 lux|
|Manual Mode: Frame Rate 59.94i / 29.97p / 23.98p, Shutter Speed 1/2, Gain +42dB||0.05 lux|
Interval Shooting: The XC10 can automatically record photos at a selected interval. This mode is suitable for recording natural surroundings, plants, sunsets/sunrises, and other subjects with little movement. Intervals between photos can be set to 5 seconds, 10 seconds, 30 seconds, 1 minute, or 10 minutes.
White Balance: The camcorder's white balance system helps you accurately reproduce colors under different lighting conditions so that white objects will always look truly white in your recordings. You can choose from the following modes: Automatic, Daylight, Shade, Cloudy, Fluorescent, Fluorescent H, Tungsten, Color Temperature, and Custom WB.
Wireless Remote Control: The XC10 comes with the RC-6 Remote Controller. The controller has a single button to start or stop recording a movie, or to take a picture. On the back, the Delay switch lets you take a photo after a 2-second delay, or take a photo while recording a video clip.
Built-in Microphone: You can change the directionality of the built-in microphone to control how sound is recorded. The options include: Monaural, Normal (stereo), and Wide.
Built-in Speaker: The camcorder has a built-in monaural speaker so you can review the audio soundtrack as well as the picture when you're using the LCD screen to play back a recording. When you connect headphones or an external device to the HDMI output, the built-in speaker will be muted.
Hot Shoe: The XC10 has a hot shoe on the top that allows you to mount the optional GP-E2 GPS receiver, or an optional EX-series Speedlite for EOS cameras (270EXII, 320EX, 430EX II, 600EX, or 90EX). You can also mount microphones or audio recorders that are compatible with a standard accessory shoe.
Playback Functions: The camera uses the following special playback modes: Fast Playback (5x, 15x, or 60x) in either direction, Slow Playback (1/8x or 1/4x) in either direction, and Frame-by-Frame Playback. During these playback modes there is no sound.
Lithium-Ion Battery Pack: The Canon XC10 is powered by the supplied LP-E6N rechargeable Lithium-ion Battery Pack (7.2V DC, 1865 mAh, 14 Wh). The battery recording and playback times are as follows:
|Frame Rate / Bit Rate||Recording |
|4K: 29.97P / 305 Mbps||110 min||75 min||150 min|
|4K: 29.97P / 205 Mbps||110 min||75 min||155 min|
|4K: 23.98P / 305 Mbps||115 min||80 min||160 min|
|4K: 23.98P / 205 Mbps||120 min||80 min||165 min|
|HD: 59.94P / 50 Mbps||135 min||85 min||185 min|
|HD: 59.94i / 35 Mbps||135 min||90 min||185 min|
|HD: 29.97P / 35 Mbps||145 min||95 min||190 min|
|HD: 23.98P / 35 Mbps||145 min||95 min||190 min|
Charging Times: The LP-E6N battery charges in 4 hours when charged in the camcorder with the supplied CA-570 AC adapter. With the optional LC-E6 battery charger (sold separately), the charging time is reduced to 2.5 hours.
Auto Power Off: After 5 minutes without any operation when powered by the battery, the camcorder automatically powers off. Approximately 30 seconds before the camcorder automatically turns itself off, a warning message appears in the display.
HDMI Output: The XC10 features a mini-HDMI (Type C) terminal that offers a high-quality digital connection that combines audio and video in a single convenient cable. The HDMI can be set to output 1080/59.94P and 2160/29.97P signals. A 5' HTC-100/S High-speed HDMI cable is included.
USB 2.0 Connection: The camcorder features a USB Mini-B High Speed terminal for fast transfer of photos and videos.
Microphone Input: In addition to the camcorder's built-in microphone, the XC10 features a 3.5mm microphone input for connecting an external microphone, such as the WM-V1 Wireless Mic.
Headphone Terminal: A 3.5mm jack is supplied for connecting headphones to the camcorder for monitoring the audio as you record or playback movies.
DC In: The camcorder can be powered with the battery pack, or with household current using the included compact power adapter. The DC IN terminal is for connecting the power adapter to charge the battery or power the camera.
Downloadable Software: The Canon XC10 camcorder does not include software in the box. The following software can be downloaded from the Canon website to your computer: Canon XF Utility lets you save movie clips to your computer. CameraWindow DC enables downloading images from your camera to your computer, or change the settings of the camera. The software is compatible with the following Operating Systems:
- Windows 10 (desktop mode only)
- Windows 8/8.1 (64-bit / 32-bit)
- Windows 7 SP1 (64-bit / 32-bit)
- Mac OS X v10.8
- Mac OS X v10.9
- Mac OS X v10.10
- Mac OS X v10.11 (Canon XF Utility only)
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Why did you buy this?
I picked this camera, so that I could start shooting music videos and take lots of nice photos !!! $ [ Johnathan Apr 13, 2017 ]
Looking for a 4K solution that can be hand held for extended period of times without a lot of fatigue. [ Mark Aug 03, 2016 ]