iPod control interface
Our take on the Alpine KCA-420i by Crutchfield's Matt Freeman
Forget about fumbling around with your iPod controls to change songs or albums while driving. Now, you can connect your iPod to a compatible 2004 Alpine in-dash receiver with Ai-Net connections (see below), and control all the functions right from the receiver! (Note: the adapter is compatible with all iPod and iPod mini models equipped with a dock connector and iPod software update 2004-04-28, or higher. )
The KCA-420i package includes a compact adapter module and two cables. Mount the adapter module in a hidden location in your vehicle, then connect one cable from the module to your Alpine receiver, and the second cable from the module to your iPod. Once connected, you can control virtually all iPod playback functions from your compatible Alpine receiver, including search (playlist, artist, album), track preview, and shuffle play (playlist, all tracks).
Alpine's Quick Search keys offer quick and easy navigation through your iPod's music menu, and you can set your receiver's Bass Engine controls to maximize the sound quality of your iPod tunes. And, best of all, the KCA-420i module automatically charges your iPod's internal battery as you drive.
Read a hands-on review of the KCA-420i at CrutchfieldAdvisor.com.
Compatibility Note: Be sure to check "Details" for specific iPod model compatibility with this iPod adapter.
- includes adapter module and two 78" connecting cables
- for all docking iPods, including video iPods, iPod photos, iPod nanos, and iPod minis
- access iPod with Alpine receiver's controls (compatible with 2004 Alpine Ai-Net receivers)
- charges iPod battery while driving
- artist/song info displays on Alpine receiver display
- module dimensions: 5-9/16"W (with cables) x 1-7/16"H x 5-9/16"D
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- iPod interface adapter
- 6.5' Ai-NET cable
- 6.5' iPod connection cable
- 2 Velcro strips
- Four 5/8" self-tapping screws
- Owner's manual
- Quick Reference Guide
Alpine KCA-420i Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|Adapter Type||iPod audio in w/ iPod control|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
Overview: This adapter allows your iPod portable digital music player with a dock connector to be hooked up and controlled by a 2004 or newer Alpine receiver that uses the Ai-Net protocol. All the iPod buttons will be disabled when connected to this adapter and it will be controlled from the Alpine receiver. With this interface, you'll be able to play your iPod music files through your Alpine receiver and have all the titling information appear on the Alpine's display. Using the optional KCA-410C (item 500KCA410C), this adapter and a compatible Ai-Net Alpine CD changer can be connected to an Alpine receiver.
Note: The KCA-420i is compatible with all iPod models equipped with a dock connector and iPod software update 2004-04-28, or higher. It is also compatible with the iPhone version 1.0.1. This cable will not charge the iPod nano 4th generation or iPod touch 2nd generation without the Scosche passPORT (142IFWA).
Connections: The KCA-420i has the following connections:
- Ai-Net Connection: located on the right side of the adapter. This connects directly to the Alpine head unit using the supplied Ai-Net cable.
- iPod Connection: located on the left side of the adapter. This connects directly to the underside of the iPod portable digital music player, using the supplied interface connector cable.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.