Satellite radio/MP3 player with car accessories
Item # 607S50 | MFR # S50TK1
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the SIRIUS S50 by Crutchfield's Matt Freeman
SIRIUS helped transform the way we listen to radio, and now they're transforming the way we listen to SIRIUS itself. The portable S50 satellite radio/MP3 player is an innovative blend of features that'll make your listening experience more rewarding it lets you take your favorite SIRIUS programming and digital music files with you everywhere you go.
When docked in its included cradle, the S50 can deliver live SIRIUS broadcasts over your car stereo. While you're listening, you can pause and rewind these broadcasts. Whenever you hear a song you enjoy, save it by hitting the "Love" button it's the one marked with a heart. You can store blocks of programming from your favorite SIRIUS talk, news, and entertainment channels, too. In fact, the S50's internal memory lets you store up to 50 hours of SIRIUS content for later enjoyment.
You can also use some of the internal memory to store MP3s and WMAs. Wherever you go, you'll be able to enjoy saved SIRIUS material and your favorite digital music files.
The S50 acts as a portable player, too. Charge up the battery with the AC power adapter while the S50 is in its dock, slip on the earphones, and check out your digital music files and stored SIRIUS content (the S50 can receive live SIRIUS broadcasts only when docked in its cradle) the battery provides up to six hours of life. A belt clip is also included.
The bright, legible, full-color screen shows you channel, artist, and song titles on SIRIUS, as well as the names of your digital music files. The S50 is smart, too: it learns which SIRIUS music and comedy channels you listen to most, then captures content from them and stores it in three different channels, which you can listen to anytime you want. To avoid repetition, the S50 plays back the oldest content first.
You'll get all the accessories you'll need to play the S50 over your car stereo a cradle that allows the S50 to receive live SIRIUS broadcasts, a car mount, a DC power adapter, a remote control, and a roof-mount antenna. The cradle's Media Dial makes it super-easy for you to surf through all the great SIRIUS programming and save your favorite content. Voice-assisted navigation announces the name of the channel you've just tuned into, so you can find your favorite channels without taking your eyes off the road.
A built-in wireless FM transmitter "broadcasts" the sound over any unused frequency on any FM stereo there's no complicated installation process. If your in-dash stereo has an auxiliary input, you can connect the S50 directly to it for even better sound.
You can set 30 channels as presets, and program the Jump button to take you immediately to your favorite channel. Select your favorite NFL, NHL, and NBA teams in Game Alert, and you'll be notified whenever they're playing. A customizable sports ticker scrolls across the bottom of the screen, keeping you up-to-date on the latest action.
You listen to the S50 at home, too, when you pick up the optional home kit. Coming soon is a desktop/wall-mountable Executive Powered Speaker System, which acts as a handy boombox.
Note: A subscription to SIRIUS is also required. Satellite radio service is available only within the lower 48 states not available in Hawaii or U.S. territories. Limited service is available in Alaska.
- SIRIUS satellite radio/MP3 player with portable and car accessories
- stores up to 50 hours of SIRIUS programming, or a combination of SIRIUS content and MP3/WMA music files
- car cradle and mount (live SIRIUS broadcasts only available when S50 is docked in the cradle)
- pause and rewind of live SIRIUS content
- portable playback of MP3s, WMAs, and stored SIRIUS content
- three personalized My SIRIUS channels feature content automatically captured from your favorite SIRIUS channels
- full-color screen shows channel name and number, artist, song title, and MP3/WMA file names
- rechargeable battery with up to six hours of life
- belt clip
- Media Dial
- Voice-assisted navigation announces SIRIUS channel names
- indoor AC power adapter
- car DC power adapter
- car antenna
- wireless remote
- built-in wireless FM transmitter "broadcasts" the sound over any FM stereo
- 30 channel presets
- Jump button takes you to a programmed SIRIUS channel, no matter what you're listening to
- Game Alert tells you when your favorite team is about to play
- scrolling sports-scores ticker
- USB cable for uploading digital music files
- 1-15/16"W x 3-15/16"H x 3/4"D
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- Portable Sirius satellite receiver/MP3 player
- Lithium-Ion Polymer rechargeable battery pack (3.7V/500 mAh)
- Wireless remote control
- CR2025 Lithium battery (for remote)
- Magnetic roof antenna with attached 21' microcable (has a single SMB plug)
- 5" Rubber antenna tail
- Adjustable vehicle mount
- Threaded mounting bracket (with collar insert)
- 4-Piece Vent mount
- Cloth carrying bag
- 39" USB cable (with USB-A male connector on one end and a proprietary dock connector on the other end)
- AC adapter (DC output: 5V/1A)
- AC adapter safety instruction
- 17" FM antenna (with right-angle 2.5mm sub-miniplug)
- Surface preparation cleaning kit
- Alcohol prep pad
- Vehicle dock
- Belt clip
- Earbud headphones with attached 45" cord (has gold-plated 3.5mm miniplug on the end)
- 2 Foam earbud pads
- Cigarette lighter power adapter with attached 73" cord (Output: 5V/1.5A)
- My Sirius Studio Ver.1.0.0 CD-ROM software
- 8 Pan-head screws (M4 x 8mm)
- 4 Hex nuts
- User Manual
- S50 Manual Update sheet
- Installation Manual
- Sirius Channel Guide
- Battery terminal note
SIRIUS S50 Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Overview: The Sirius S50 is a portable Sirius satellite radio receiver with a built-in 1 GB memory for recording satellite programming or storing MP3 or WMA music files downloaded from your Windows XP or Windows 2000 equipped computer; the provided software is not Apple compatible. The S50 comes with a belt clip and earbud headphones for personal listening, plus a car kit for listening in your vehicle.
Sirius Satellite Radio: Sirius Satellite Radio features more than 120 streams of original programming beamed coast-to-coast, including 65 streams of commercial-free, digital-quality music, and news, talk, sports, entertainment, and children's programming. Sirius programming is available only in the 48 contiguous states. A subscription to Sirius Satellite Radio is required in order to enjoy Sirius programming.
Sirius Antenna: The Sirius antenna has a powerful magnetic base that allows you to mount the antenna on the roof or trunk lid of your vehicle. The antenna needs to be positioned in such a way that it will be free of mechanical and line-of-sight obstructions.
Display Screen: The Sirius S50 features a full-color, 1-3/8" x 1-3/4" LCD screen which provides information about the operation of the unit, such as the currently tuned channel, song or show being played, mode, status, recording, and other information.
Live Broadcasts: While listening to Sirius programming in the live environment, you can locate and tune to the broadcast channels in three ways: by channel, by Genre, or by Preset.
Audio Navigation: The S50 features Audio Navigation which provides voice announcements when buttons are pressed or the Media Dial is turned, announcing the various modes or the channels tuned. Audio prompts are also provided for navigating certain other functions such as channel presets. Audio Navigation can be turned on/off in the setup menu.
1 GB Memory: You can store up to approximately 50 hours of Sirius broadcasts, including individual songs or whole programs, on a portion of the built-in 1 GB memory. You can save a currently playing song, or schedule the recording of an entire program. Scheduled recordings are limited to a maximum of 2 hours each and a total of 20 hours for all recorded programs. As much as half of the total memory (512 MB) is available for MP3 and WMA files downloaded from your computer. The S50 is capable of playing MP3 files recorded at 64, 96, 128, or 384 kbps, or unrestricted WMA audio files. Downloading files will reduce the amount of storage space available for Sirius content. You can check the amount of current memory usage in the Content Management portion of the setup menu.
Replay Buffer: While you are listening to Sirius satellite programming, you can pause a live broadcast for up to 30 or 60 minutes, depending upon the content. When paused, the broadcast is put into a replay buffer. During the playback of a paused broadcast, you can fast-forward or rewind through the replay buffer to locate or skip songs. Similar to a CD, you can skip ahead or backward to the beginning of the next or previous segment (the beginning of a song or program). You can also skip ahead through a song or program in 10-, 30-, or 60-second intervals. When the end of the replay buffer is reached, the live broadcast resumes.
Scheduled Recordings: You can set the S50 to record future programs (from the non-music channels only) and store them in memory. When scheduling a recording, you can specify the channel, date, time, duration, and the frequency of recording (once, daily, Monday-Friday, or weekly). You can schedule up to 20 recordings and a maximum of 2 hours each per recording session. Note: In order for the S50 to successfully record a program, the unit must be docked, connected to a power source, connected to the antenna, and receiving a good signal. When in the vehicle dock, the unit must be turned on at the time of the recording. When in the home dock, the unit does not have to be turned on at the time of the recording.
Saved Material: Songs, shows, or downloaded songs are stored in four categories:
- My Sirius Channels: This category consists of three playlists which are automatically created and contain songs or comedy from the three music and/or comedy channels you listen to most. Content from these channels are stored in playlists named after the channel name. Individual songs cannot be browsed as a list.
- My Sirius Songs: This playlist contains individual songs saved from music broadcast channels, except if they have been saved during a scheduled recording. Songs and sets are grouped by genres for easy browsing.
- My Sirius Shows: This playlist contains news, sports, or talk shows and scheduled recordings saved from the Sirius broadcast channels. They are grouped by sub-categories which are named after the channel from which they are saved. Sports games are saved in subcategories names My NBA zone, My NFL zone, etc.
- My Sirius Playlists: This playlist contains MP3 and WMA audio files which you have downloaded from your computer using the supplied My Sirius Studio software.
Deleting Material: You can delete songs or shows to make room for more content. In the category My Sirius Songs, you can delete songs organized by the least played, by artist, by title, or delete all. For My Sirius Shows, you can delete by most played, by date, by channel, or delete all. For My MP3/WMA, files can be listed and can be deleted individually or delete all at once.
Memory Full Options: If you attempt to save a song and the memory is full, you have two options:
- Don't Save: The current song or show you are attempting to save will not be saved.
- Make Room and Save: The 10 songs which are least played are deleted, and the current song is saved.
Controls: The S50 has controls on both sides. The volume control and lock button are on the left side of the player. The right side features the Playlist, Setup, Rewind, Fast-forward, and Play/Pause buttons.
Remote Control: In addition to the player and dock controls, you can activate even more functions through the supplied wireless remote control. Additional controls found on the remote include: Mute, Power, Channel Up/Down, Volume Up/Down, and a 10-button numeric keypad for direct tuning.
Game Alert/Sports Ticker: The S50 can be programmed to remember your favorite sports team and alert you when any of your favorite teams is playing in a game broadcast by Sirius. If you choose to listen to other programming (not a playlist), you can have a sports ticker displayed showing the scores of your favorite teams currently playing.
Parental Controls: You can prevent access to a channel or playlist with the parental controls features. The locked channel or playlist is protected by a 4-digit password. In addition, you can designate specific channels to not be displayed when browsing channel lists. "Hidden" channels can only be tuned by directly entering the channel number using the numeric keypad on the remote control.
FM Transmitter: When docked in the vehicle docking station, the Sirius S50 can transmit on an FM frequency which may be received by your vehicle's FM radio. You can choose from the following FM transmitting frequencies: 88.1, 88.9, 89.1, 89.9, 90.1, 90.9, 91.1, 91.9, 92.1, 92.9, 93.1, 93.9, 94.1, 94.9, 95.1, 95.9, 96.1, 96.9, 97.1, 97.9, 98.1, 98.9, 99.1, 99.9, 100.1, 100.9, 101.1, 101.9, 102.1, 102.9, 103.1, 103.9, 104.1, 104.9, 105.1, 105.9, 106.1, 106.9, 107.1, and 107.9 MHz.
Auto Shutdown/Sleep Timer: The auto shutdown feature turns the Sirius S50 off after one hour of inactivity. This feature is only available when the unit is in the vehicle dock. The sleep timer will turn off the Sirius S50 after a preset time period of 15, 30, 45, or 60 minutes. During the time the sleep timer is on, you can change channels or any other activity. The unit can be in the vehicle dock or the home dock in order for the sleep timer to work.
Power Options: The Sirius S50 can be powered in the following ways:
- Vehicle Dock: When in the supplied Vehicle Dock, you can power the S50 using the cigarette lighter power adapter (plugged into the back of the dock). Note: Additional vehicle docks are available (item #607S50C1) so you can listen to your S50 in multiple vehicles.
- Battery: The S50 comes with a rechargeable Lithium-Ion polymer battery (3.7 volts/500 mAh). When fully charged, the battery will provide up to approximately 6 hours of playback time. When operating on battery power, you can only listen to downloaded or recorded songs or programs. The unit must be docked in the vehicle dock or the optional home dock in order to listen to live satellite broadcasts. The fully discharged battery can be recharged in approximately 1 to 4 hours depending upon whether it is charged in the vehicle dock, with an AC adapter, or when connected to a computer. Note: Additional batteries are available for purchase (item #607S50SB1).
- AC Adapter: You can use the supplied AC adapter and the USB cable to charge the battery on common household current while the unit is not docked in the vehicle dock.
- Computer: The battery can also be charged when the unit is connected to your computer via the USB cable.
Vehicle Dock: The supplied vehicle dock can be mounted to your vehicle using the self-adhesive mount, the vent mount, or an optional Pro.Fit vehicle-specific mount. The vehicle dock has 4 connectors on the back labeled FM Out (for the supplied FM antenna or an optional FM relay switch), DC 5V (for the cigarette lighter adapter), Line Out (a 3.5mm stereo mini-jack for connecting the S50 via an auxiliary input), and Ant. (for the supplied magnetic roof antenna). Dimensions (receiver in dock): W=1.892", H=6.572", D=1.481". The dock also has the following controls:
- Media Dial: The multifunction control can be turned and pressed to accomplish many functions. Turning the dial allows you to scroll channels, genres, presets, menus, and lists. Pressing the Media Dial (on the Sirius "dog" logo) selects the highlighted option on the display. You can also press the dial up, down, left, or right to activate the Play/Pause, Love (saves current song as a favorite), Rewind, or Fast Forward functions.
- Back: Tunes to a previous channel or playlist.
- Playlists: Allows you to browse playlists, or, if already in playlists, goes to most recent playlist screen.
- Mode: Allows you to browse live channels according to the current tuning mode. Also cycles between channel, presets and genre.
- Setup: Displays the setup menu and gives you access to Audio Settings, Content Management, Device Settings, and Display Settings sub-menus.
Optional Home Kit: In addition to the vehicle dock, an optional home docking kit is available (item # 607S50H1) to allow you to connect the S50 into your home audio system.
My Sirius Studio Software: The supplied My Sirius Studio CD-ROM software allows you to connect the S50 to a PC running Windows XP or Windows 2000 (with approximately 100MB hard disk space and 256MB RAM). The software allows you to manage music files (import and play songs, create playlists) and transfer them to the S50. The software also provides for upgrading features and functionality as they become available from Sirius, and lets you view and listen to streaming Sirius web content. Note: You cannot download live or recorded Sirius satellite programming from the S50 to your computer.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.