Garmin nuvi® 880
Portable car navigator with speech recognition and Bluetooth®
Item # 150NUVI880 | MFR # 010-00577-12
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Garmin nuvi® 880 by Crutchfield's Dominic DeVito
The Garmin nüvi 880 portable GPS navigator incorporates the latest speech recognition and Bluetooth wireless technologies, giving you hands-free control of both the navigator and your compatible phone.
Stay connected with MSN® Direct
Garmin offers a great way to stay on top of traffic and other information you might require on your drive. The included MSN Direct receiver gives you live updates on traffic situations along your route, so you can avoid backups. The MSN Direct service also includes information, local events listings, gas prices, movie times, news headlines, stock prices, and other valuable content from the web. You get the first three months' subscription for free when you purchase the nüvi 880.
Convenient, hands-free navigation
The advanced speech recognition of the nüvi 880 really works you can scroll quickly through menu options and enter addresses by state, city, and street easily with your normal speaking voice and without using your hands. It understands a wide range of commands, so you won't have to pull off the road to enter your next destination. Mount the Garmin speech-recognition remote control on the steering wheel or another convenient location, and engage the nüvi's voice commands with the push of a button.
Ideal for everyday use
The nüvi 880's generous 4.3" touchscreen displays detailed maps of the U.S., Canada, and Puerto Rico. It offers 6 million points of interest so you can find important stops in the vicinity. You can also upload custom points of interest to mark school zones or unique favorite destinations, and you can add optional Garmin maps for other parts of the world. Text-to-speech voice prompts announce actual street names at turns and key maneuvers so you can concentrate on driving.
If you prefer to run all your errands in one trip, Garmin's route optimization software sorts multiple destinations by the shortest distance between each stop, so you can save time, gas, and money on a single trip. You can plan up to 10 different routes before you hit the road and save them on the nüvi 880 for further reference.
So much more
The compact nüvi 880 remembers where it was when you turned it off carry it with you, and you'll be able to find your way back to your car in a large parking lot or on an unfamiliar street. The 880 displays posted speed limits on highways and major roads to keep you aware of how fast you can go. If you're in the mood to explore, Garmin's "Where Am I?" button finds the points of interest closest to your current location in an instant. The trip computer keeps track of your progress so you can see if you're making good time.
Check out digital music and photos from your micro Secure Digital memory cards on the built-in digital media player. The integrated wireless FM transmitter lets you hear music and voice prompts through your car's stereo. Explore the language guide, world clock, calculator, currency/unit converters, and other Garmin travel aids. A user-defined password keeps unauthorized users from using your navigator, so your personal information and itinerary stay private.
- GPS satellite navigation unit with built-in antenna
- suction-cup windshield mount and dashboard disk
- MP3/audiobook player and headphone jack
- wireless FM transmitter for broadcasting audio information over car stereo system
- JPEG picture viewer
- speech-recognition remote control
- car power adapter, USB cable, and built-in rechargeable battery with 4 hours of life
- 4.3" (480 x 272 pixels) touchscreen control
- 6 million points of interest (allows custom points of interest)
- includes MSN Direct receiver with free 90-day subscription to MSN Direct service included (additional subscription required after trial period)
- preloaded with maps for the entire United States, Canada, and Puerto Rico
- accepts spoken commands and voice address entry
- text-to-speech technology lets voice prompts announce road names over the built-in speaker
- built-in travel kit including world clock, currency and measurement converters, calculator, and more
- security feature allows you to disable most functions with a user-entered password
- multi-destination routing: route optimization (allows 500 waypoints and stores up to 10 routes)
- Bluetooth technology for making and receiving hands-free calls with your compatible cell phone
- microSD card slot
- compatible with FM-TMC traffic-info service (additional receiver and subscription required)
Other features and specs:
- dimensions: 4-15/16"W x 3-1/8"H x 3/4"D
- weight: 6.2 oz.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- Portable GPS navigation receiver
- Suction-cup mounting bracket
- Mounting cradle
- Hard plastic mounting disk with self-adhesive base
- Rechargeable Lithium-Ion battery (3.7V/1100mAh)
- Cigarette lighter adapter with attached 59" cable
- 40" USB cable (with USB Type A connector on one end and Mini USB Version 2.0 connector on the other end)
- Speech Recognition remote control
- CR2032 Lithium battery
- Remote control battery cover
- Quick Start manual (English)
- Important Safety and Product Information
- Travel Kit Plug-ins accessory booklet
- NAVTEQ End-user License Agreement
- DMTI Spatial End User License Agreement
- Brochure for international maps
- eMusic promotion
- audible.com promotion
Superb machine. A seemingly unending list of utilities. I also recommend getting the MSN Direct add-on. While the our home is not in a coverage area, travel to nearby St. Louis makes this a valuable resource.
Richard, Marion, IL
Garmin nuvi® 880 Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|Map Coverage||USA (50), Canada, PR|
|Points of Interest||6,000,000|
|Multiple Destination Routing||Yes|
|Digital Audio Playback||---|
|Text To Speech||Yes|
|Dynamic Content Services||---|
|Removable Memory Type||microSD card|
|Battery Life||4 hours (1100 mAh)|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
Product Overview: The nüvi 880 is a portable GPS navigator, traveler's reference, and digital entertainment system, all in one. Combined with detailed maps, the nüvi 880 provides automatic routing, turn-by-turn voice directions, and touch screen control. In addition to these navigation features, the nüvi 880 can play MP3 files and audio books (available from Audible.com), and display JPEG photos.
Voice Guidance/Text-to-Speech: This unit provides turn-by-turn voice directions during navigation. When a maneuver occurs, the nüvi 880 will announce the directions clearly, including the street names and/or the exit names.
Speech Recognition: The nüvi 880 comes with a wireless Speech Recognition remote control that can be strapped onto the steering wheel or mounted in a convenient location. Using Speech Recognition, you can speak voice commands into the remote control or a "Find Nearest" command, and the unit will respond. Commands include:
|Audible Player||Go home||Volume Down|
|Cancel Route||Hands free||Volume Up|
|Detour||Help||Where Am I?|
|Find Address||Main Menu||Where To?|
|Find City||Music Player||Find Nearest Gas Station|
|Find Favorite||Stop Listening||Find Nearest Grocery Store|
|Find Place by Category||Tools Menu||Find Nearest Bank|
|Find Place by Name||Trip Computer||Find Nearest Movie Theater|
|Find Recently Found||View Map||Find Nearest Restaurant|
Internal Memory: The nüvi 880 comes with an internal memory for storage of supplemental maps, photos, MP3s, and audio books. When the unit is connected to your computer, the nüvi 880 is recognized as an additional drive (USB Mass Storage). Note: The nüvi 880 is compatible with Windows 2000 or newer.
microSD Memory Slot: The nüvi 880 can display photo images or play back MP3 audio files or audio books from an optional microSD memory card.
Map Software: The nüvi 880 comes loaded with City Navigator North America NT 2009 software, which contains mapping detail of the entire United States, Canada, and Puerto Rico. The maps feature more than 6 million points of interest (POIs), such as hotels, restaurants, gas stations, ATMs and attractions.
Satellite Status: Once the GPS receiver in the nüvi 880 has collected the necessary data to calculate a fix, the status field indicates a 2D or 3D status. A 2D status means that at least three satellites with good geometry have been locked onto, and a two-dimensional position fix (latitude and longitude) is calculated. A 3D status means that at least four satellites with good geometry have been locked onto, and your position is calculated in latitude, longitude, and elevation.
Garmin Lock: Garmin Lock is an anti-theft feature. You can set a 4-digit PIN and a security location (such as your home or office). Every time the nüvi 880 is powered on, you must enter the PIN, or drive to your security location.
Touch Screen Display: The unit features a bright, 4.3" (diagonal) LCD with touch screen controls. The display has a resolution of 480 x 272 pixels, with an aspect ratio of 16:9 and 64,000 colors. The screen has a manual brightness adjustment.
Bluetooth: For hands-free calling, the nüvi 880 integrates Bluetooth wireless technology with a built-in microphone and speaker. Just pair it with a compatible phone (to confirm compatibility visit the Garmin website) and talk hands-free through the 880 while focused on the road. Simply speak or dial numbers with nüvi's touch screen keypad to make a call.
FM Transmitter: In addition to the built-in speaker, the nüvi 880 has an FM transmitter which allows you to hear turn-by-turn directions on your vehicle's FM radio. You can set the transmitter to any FM frequency not currently occupied by a local FM station.
Custom Points of Interest: The nüvi 880 will accept custom points of interest (POI) databases, available from various companies on the Internet. Some custom POI databases contain alert information for points such as safety cameras and school zones, and the unit can notify you as you approach one of these points. To download custom POIs, you will need the Garmin POI Loader software, available on Garmin's website.
Information Pages: The information provided by the nüvi 880 is found on various display screens called pages. The pages give you the following information:
- Indicates real-time moving map illustrating your current position and intended route
- Shows map scale and geographic details such as lakes, rivers, highways and towns
- Allows you to zoom, pan, and point using the touch screen controls
- When you are following a route, your arrival time is displayed in the lower left corner, the distance to the next turn (Turn In) is shown in the lower right corner
- When you are simply driving while viewing the Map page (not following a route), your speed is shown in the lower left corner, the direction you are driving is shown in the lower right corner
- Trip Information:
- Shows current compass heading while moving
- Indicates current speed, average driving speed, overall average speed, maximum speed
- Calculates driving time, stopped time and total time
- Displays overall distance traveled (odometer) and distance to your final destination
- Current Route:
- Displays a list of turn-by-turn instructions for your entire route as well as arrival information
- Shows direction of each turn and distance
- Next Turn:
- Shows the next turn on the map and the distance and time left before you reach the turn
Where To? During navigation, you can search for places by pressing "Menu", then "Where To?" You can select an Address, Go Home, Points of Interest, Recently Found, Favorites, Intersections, Extras, Cities, Routes, Browse Map, or Coordinates. You can also access Spell Name for direct entry of your new destination. You can search for locations near your present location (default), or select a different city, your current route, or your destination.
Where Am I? The "Where Am I?" feature gives you instant access to important information in case of an emergency. When you select "Where Am I?" from the menu, you get the coordinates (including elevation) of your current position, plus the nearest address and intersections. There are also buttons to help you locate the nearest hospitals, police stations, gas stations, and roadside assistance. You can also save the location for future reference.
Car Locator: The nüvi 880 will automatically mark the vehicle's position when the unit is removed from the windshield mount. This allows you to easily find your vehicle at a later time. This is a helpful feature to help you locate your vehicle when visiting large amusement parks or parking lots.
Avoid: You can program the unit to avoid certain things that may be undesirable on your route. Examples of things that can be avoided include U-Turns, Highways, Unpaved Roads, Toll Roads, Ferries, Carpool Lanes, and Traffic.
Multiple Destination Routing: You can enter multiple destinations and the unit will automatically sort the destinations, providing the most direct route. This is a helpful feature for those working in real estate, making sales calls, making deliveries, or visiting multiple sites. The routes can be saved to the built-in memory for later recall. Up to 10 routes can be saved.
Waypoints: You can manually mark and name any map position as a waypoint for later recall. Up to 500 waypoints can be stored in this unit.
Map Orientation: You can select one of three map orientation displays:
- 2D Track Up: two-dimensional map that constantly displays the route from top to bottom on the screen
- 2D North Up: two-dimensional map that constantly displays North at the top of the screen
- 3D Track Up: three-dimensional map that constantly displays the route from top to bottom on the screen
Screen Color Mode: You can select one of three color modes for the display screen:
- Daytime: has a lighter, brighter background
- Nighttime: has a black background, easier to see at night
- Auto: display automatically switches between daytime and nighttime at sunrise and sunset
Indoor Use: When indoors, you can activate the built-in simulator and practice using the unit. This turns off the GPS receiver so it's not searching for satellites.
Games: The unit features eleven electronic games to help you pass the time. Built-in games include: Solitare, Sudoku, Space Shooter, Temo, Rock Slide, Interceptor, Boxing, Bubbles, Video Poker, Crumble, and Brick Breaker.
Travel Aids: The nüvi 880 gives you access to the following travel aids:
- World Clock: the world clock allows you to display the current time for four locations throughout the world, you can also display a map of the world
- Currency Converter: this feature allows you to update the currency rates manually so you are always using the most current information
- Unit Converter: you can convert area, distance, speed, temperature, volume, and weight
- Calculator: the calculator allows you to perform simple arithmetic
MSN Direct: MSN Direct is an optional service that sends traffic reports, gas prices and more to your navigation device through an FM signal. MSN Direct is available in 100 of the largest cities across the United States. Using the supplied MSN Direct receiver and free 3-month trial service to MSN Direct, you can check the weather, avoid traffic backups, compare local gas prices and check movie times and locations when you travel with the nüvi 880. It can take several hours to receive all the content to your nüvi 880 the first time you use it or after you have traveled long distances and after you have not used MSN Direct for several days.
Note: After your 3-month trial, you can choose one of the following options to extend your service.
- One-Time Payment Plan: The One-Time Payment Plan includes all of the services from the free-trial for a one-time payment of $129.95 plus applicable taxes. Some restrictions apply.
- Annual Payment Plan: The Annual Payment Plan includes all of the services you came to love during your free year of service for $49.95 plus applicable taxes per year. You may cancel at any time.
FM Traffic: The nüvi 880 can receive traffic information broadcast over the FM Radio Data System (RDS), when connected to an optional Garmin FM TMC (Traffic Message Channel) receiver. When you are in a coverage area, the traffic delays are rated by severity with color-coded icons. If you encounter severe traffic along your route, the unit will automatically recalculate the route for you to avoid traffic delays.
Power Requirements: The nüvi 880 operates on your vehicle's battery using the included 12-volt cigarette lighter power adapter, or the supplied removable Lithium-Ion battery. The Lithium-Ion batteries provide up to 4 hours of use. Stored data, such as waypoints or unit settings, are not lost when the unit is disconnected from a power source.
Note: The nüvi 880 does not come supplied with an AC adapter. An optional AC adapter (150ACNUVI) is available separately.
Antenna: The built-in antenna is located in the unit's back panel. An optional external antenna may be needed when operating the unit with a coated windshield or an in-screen heating system, which can block the GPS signal. The unit has an external GPS antenna jack with an MCX-type connector.
Mounting Options: The unit should be securely installed when used in a vehicle. The unit comes with a mounting bracket that includes a suction cup. The suction cup can be used to mount the unit to the windshield or to the dash (using the plastic mounting disk). Once the nüvi 880 is mounted, it can be adjusted on the ball-and-socket bracket for best visibility.
Note: If you're not using a remote antenna, the unit must be installed where it has a relatively unobstructed view of the sky.
Interface Capability: This unit can be connected to a PC via the supplied USB cable. This interface allows you to download additional map information to the unit's flash memory.
Music Player: The unit has a built-in music player capable of playing MP3 music files (from the internal memory or optional microSD cards) over the built-in speakers or out the headphone or line output jack. In addition to music files, audio books can be loaded into memory or onto microSD cards for playback through the nüvi 880.
Left Side of Unit:
- Headphones: mini-jack headphone or audio line output
- Card Slot: accepts microSD cards
- USB: USB Mini-B Type 2.0 that allows you to connect the nüvi 880 to a computer using the supplied USB cable
Bottom of Unit:
- Cradle Connector: a proprietary connector that allows you to dock the unit into the supplied cradle. The cradle has a proprietary connection for plugging in the supplied cigarette lighter adapter or optional traffic receiver.
- Antenna: MCX-type jack allows you to connect an optional external GPS antenna
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.