Dynaudio Excite X24 Center
Center channel speaker (Rosewood Satin)
Our take on the Dynaudio Excite X24 Center by Crutchfield's Steve Kindig
Seamless, detailed sound from a compact center
If you're putting together a surround sound system using Dynaudio's Excite line of speakers, the X24 Center is the logical choice for your center channel. Dynaudio's state-of-the-art driver technology accurately reproduces the vocal nuances of your favorite actors, and creates a spacious, dynamic center to anchor your front soundstage.
You can place the compact X24 Center flat on a tabletop, or use the supplied metal base to angle the speaker slightly upward for below-screen placement.
Small woofers with surprising speed and punch
All Dynaudio woofers use the company's Magnesium Silicate Polymer (MSP) cone material, which combines low mass, high rigidity, and ideal internal damping. Each MSP cone is molded in one geometrically-perfect piece, which helps to optimize sound dispersion. It also eliminates the need for a separate dust cap, further enhancing the cone's structural integrity. The X24 Center has dual 4-1/3" woofers flanking the tweeter.
A tweeter that sings
When Dynaudio's engineers find something that works, they stick with it. Core designs like the MSP woofer described above, and Dynaudio's renowned 1-1/8" soft-dome tweeters, have been steadily improved and refined over the course of 40 years. The Excite X24's tweeter features a silk dome with a special coating that improves dispersion while eliminating high-frequency breakup. It sounds effortlessly detailed, neutral, and non-fatiguing, even when you crank up the volume.
Both tweeter and woofers use aluminum-wired voice coils that are lighter than traditional copper coils. That means Dynaudio can make larger voice-coils for a given weight. Larger coils exert better control over the dome or cone's movement, which lowers distortion.
Build a complete Dynaudio system
If you're interested in a voice-matched surround sound system, check out these other Dynaudio Excite models:
Floor-standing speaker: Excite X34, Excite X38, or Excite X44
Bookshelf speakers for mains or surrounds: Excite X14 or Excite X18
Powered subwoofer: Sub 3 or Sub 6
Founded in 1977, Dynaudio is one of the world's premiere speaker companies. Their wide range of speakers for home, car, and pro audio applications are the result of a unique combination of innovative driver technology, state-of-the-art manufacturing, and true hand-craftsmanship. Dynaudio designs and builds all of its drivers at the company's HQ in Skanderborg, Denmark.
- 1-1/8" Esotec+ coated silk soft-dome tweeter
- dual 4-1/3" Esotec+ MSP (Magnesium Silicate Polymer) cone woofers
- bass-reflex (ported) cabinet with rear-firing port
- includes a foam port plug for adjusting the speaker's low-frequency performance
- cabinet has 3/4"-thick walls, plus extensive internal bracing to reduce resonances
- frequency response: 55-23,000 Hz (±3dB)
- sensitivity: 85 dB
- impedance: 8 ohms
- maximum amplifier power: 150 watts
- gold-plated binding post speaker terminals
- removable metal plinth angles the speaker slightly upward for below-screen placement
- removable magnetic grille
- 19-11/16"W x 7"H x 8-11/16"D (with plinth)
- weight: 18 lbs.
- designed, engineered, and assembled in Denmark
- warranty: 5 years (8 years with registration)
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- Center channel loudspeaker
- Angled plinth (pre-installed with two screws)
- Foam port plug
- 4 Rubber pads
- Owners Manual
- Quick Start Guide
- Tweeter Protection Unmounting Instructions
- Warranty Extension Card
Features and Specs
|Midrange size (inches)||N/A|
|Woofer size (inches)||4-5/16|
|Frequency Response||55-23k Hz|
|Parts Warranty||5Yr (8Yr registered)|
|Labor Warranty||5Yr (8Yr registered)|
Two-Way Center Channel Loudspeaker: Dynaudio's Excite X24 center channel speaker features two 4.3125" magnesium silicate polymer (MSP) mid-woofers flanking a 1.1" precision-coated silk soft-dome tweeter for true high-end sound with great dynamic range, expansive soundstage, exceptional accuracy, and a natural tonal balance.
Precision-Coated Soft-Dome Tweeter: Dynaudio has relied on a silk soft-dome tweeter for recreating high frequencies since the company was founded, continuously improving and perfecting the soft-dome principle over the years. Dynaudio tweeter designs require a time consuming, labor-intensive manufacturing process where the fine fabric diaphragm is shaped into a dome and is then treated with a specially formulated coating. As a further refinement, the tweeter's aluminum voice-coil is suspended in a magnetic oil, which increases power handling while also improving the dome's excursion. The result is the celebrated Dynaudio tweeter, featuring a balanced and natural frequency response.
- Damping Chamber: The tweeter also includes a special damping chamber integrated into the rear of the construction, deadening any back-wave energy through an acoustic absorber. The advantages include high power handling and unimpeded excursion of the soft-dome dome tweeter.
- Ferrofluid Magnet: The voice coil is positioned within the magnetic field of the tweeter magnet. When the loudspeaker reproduces sound, the voice coil, powered by the amplifier current, moves at a speed of up to 25,000 waves per second. To achieve a uniform movement, a magnetic fluid called ferrofluid is used around the voice coil. Ferrofluid works like a subtle shock absorber and eliminates excess energy. Due to the relatively high current and extremely fast movements, the voice coil is under constant thermal stress. The ferrofluid dissipates this heat, while also increasing power handling capabilities. The frequency range of the tweeter can thus be expanded while the frequency response remains smooth and linear, delivering the highest resolution and most neutral sound reproduction.
Note: The surround of the tweeter is inversed to improve dispersion. This leaves nowhere for the lead wires to go behind the tweeter, so the lead wires are positioned above the surround.
Dual Magnesium Silicate Polymer (MSP) Woofers: For bass and midrange drivers, Dynaudio uses a proprietary composite of magnesium silicate polymer (MSP), a material that combines low mass, high rigidity, and ideal internal damping properties. This exclusive driver membrane is an immediately visible and characteristic feature of Dynaudio loudspeakers. Formed in a special manufacturing process, this membrane is a unique design with the distinctive, geometrically optimized form of the cone further enabling smooth sound dispersion.
- Aluminum Voice Coils: A distinct and major Dynaudio innovation is the use of pure aluminum wire for voice coils. In comparison to the more commonly used and much heavier copper alternative, aluminum allows for more windings and extraordinarily large diameter coils that remain extremely light. By using aluminum instead of copper for a bass driver, it is possible to effectively double the coil's diameter without increasing its mass. Due to the thermal properties of aluminum, cooling of the voice coil is dramatically improved as well. In combination with the equally light voice coil former and powerful magnet materials used in Dynaudio designs, cone excursion is much more controlled and the driver follows the music signal from the amplifier with a remarkable sense of dynamics and accuracy.
- Die-Cast Aluminum Basket: The Dynaudio MSP woofer utilizes a low-resonance, highly warp-resistant basket made of die-cast aluminum. Due to the stiffness of this non-magnetic material, the basket can be designed with aerodynamically formed ribs to reduce air compression behind the moving membrane. Another advantage is its long-term resistance against thermal, mechanical or other external influences.
High-Quality 1st Order Crossover: Only the highest quality components, selected for their sonic properties, are utilized in Dynaudio loudspeaker's crossover network; carefully wound pure OFC (oxygen-free copper) air-coils, select capacitors, and temperature-stable ceramic resistors. The Dynaudio crossover features a pure 1st order filter (6 dB/octave), which enables a superior transient response and can only be effectively used with the ultra-linear frequency response of the Dynaudio drivers.
Dynaudio Directivity Control (DDC): With Dynaudio Directivity Control (DDC), Dynaudio has created a technology that effectively reduces the negative effects of reflections from floor and ceiling boundaries in a room. The vertical symmetrical driver array and elaborate crossover topology of a Dynaudio loudspeaker reduce the energy dispersed to the floor and ceiling by approximately 75%. The controlled vertical dispersion makes the loudspeaker far less dependent on the room and much less influenced by positioning as compared to conventional designs. DDC isn't simply arranging the drivers in a symmetrical array. For DDC to succeed, every single detail (from each drive unit to the crossover) must be individually tailored and optimized for this concept. Each driver needs to complement its identical counterpart in frequency response and phase relationship in such a manner that a carefully defined dispersion characteristic is achieved.
Furniture Grade Cabinets: Dynaudio's high-quality, furniture-grade cabinets are painstakingly assembled and finished by experts in Skanderborg Denmark to make sure the enclosure perfectly matches the custom drivers. The Danish tradition of craftsmanship drives the meticulous process of selecting and matching veneers from the finest woods available, followed by careful sanding, polishing and coating. The front-baffle is manufactured using CNC (Computerized Numerical Control) machining. Computer-programmed and controlled by ultra-responsive sensors, precision to within a single micrometer (ìm), multi-axial drilling machines produce the acoustically optimized baffle shape and unique design details. Additional internal damping, strengthening, and bracing in critical sections of the cabinet substantially reduce unwanted resonance. The Excite X24 cabinet also features a magnetically-attached, acoustically-optimized front grille.
Bass Reflex Port w/ Foam Port Plug: The Excite center channel features a bass reflex enclosure with a rear-firing port for greater efficiency and bigger bass response. To minimize low frequency reflections, which will be heard as a thickening of the sound, the loudspeaker can be adapted to the room's acoustic character by using the included foam plug in the bass reflex port. This will essentially attenuate the room induced boost in the low frequency range by dampening the deep frequencies, yielding a more clear and tight sound when the loudspeaker is positioned near rear walls.
Heavy-Duty, Gold-Plated Binding Post: The Dynaudio Excite X24 center channel loudspeaker is outfitted with a set of heavy-duty, gold-plate binding post terminals for secure connectivity and excellent signal transfer. The binding posts will accept bare wire (up to 10AWG), pin-connectors, and banana plugs (single only).
Mounting & Placement Options: The Excite X24 is supplied with a pre-installed metal plinth that facilitates angling the center channel speaker's dispersion upward or downward towards the listening area. The metal plinth can be removed to position the center speaker flat on your surface with no angle. The center channel loudspeaker should be centered above or below your TV or projection screen, and placed as close to the screen as possible.
- Dimensions with Plinth: 19.6875" (w) x 7.0" (h) x 8.6875" (d)
- Dimensions without Plinth: 19.6875" (w) x 5.625" (h) x 8.5625" (d)
Excite Series: The Excite family of loudspeakers by Dynaudio combines high-end sound quality with an elegant, slim-line design. The Excite series consists of Floorstanding loudspeakers (X34/X38/X44), bookshelf loudspeakers (X14/X18), and center channel loudspeakers (X24/X28).
Dynaudio Fine Tuning: Every Dynaudio speaker model is fine-tuned in extensive, time-consuming listening tests. Dynaudio even developed its own amplifier, the Arbiter, solely for this task, to ensure that they are not restricted by any one manufacturer's design. Extraordinary power reserves, a frequency bandwidth at the edge of what is technically possible, the exacting use of absolutely sonically accurate components and circuits, and a unique power supply that remains completely free from mains noise are just a few qualities of Dynaudio's ultimate amplifier development. The true sound quality of a loudspeaker can be judged using this virtually priceless reference amplifier. After a Dynaudio design has been fine-tuned, it is subjected to the Arbiter. Only after passing this most difficult test is it ensured that the authentic sound quality of a Dynaudio loudspeaker can be experienced at home.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Why did you buy this?
Quality of sound, and beautiful appearance. [ Daniel Sep 22, 2018 ]
Looking for more? Check out the next model in this lineup.
Get a bigger speaker with larger woofers, for more center channel power and impact.
The Dynaudio Excite X28 Center offers these features:
dual 5-1/2" MSP woofers
frequency response 50-23,000 Hz
maximum power handling: 250 watts
Frequently Compared With
Dynaudio Excite X24 Center
Center channel speaker$599.99 eachPrice Break, Save $250.00$849.99
Polk Audio CSi A4
Center channel speaker
Definitive Technology Mythos Seven
Center channel speaker
Dynaudio Excite X28 Center
Center channel speaker$899.99 eachPrice Break, Save $300.00$1,199.99