Nikon AF-S Nikkor 58mm f/1.4G
Standard prime lens for Nikon SLR cameras
Item # 0542210 | MFR # 2210
$1,599.95 Earn up to 1,600 Rewards points
Offers & Financing
Our take on the Nikon AF-S Nikkor 58mm f/1.4G by Crutchfield's Dave Bar
A low-light powerhouse
This fast Nikon lens may just be the perfect choice for low-light and nighttime shooting. Use it to create dazzling indoor images without using your flash. Or take dramatic outdoor photos that focus on your subject, but leave the foreground and background meltingly smooth. Portrait photographers will love this lens, as it creates a sense of poetry and emotional depth that's hard to equal. Its large f/1.4 maximum aperture means you'll be able to capture well-exposed photos and HD movies, whether you're shooting indoors or out.
World-class Nikon optics ensure accurate, razor-sharp results. A multi-coating on the lens minimizes flare and ghosting. Your photos will be clear and detailed across the entire field of view — from one edge to the other — thanks to two aspherical lens elements. And Nikon's built-in Silent Wave Motor makes autofocus nearly silent. You'll be able to quickly focus on your subject and snap images of candid moments.
- AF-S Nikkor 58mm f/1.4G lens
- compatible with Nikon digital and autofocus film SLR cameras
- built-in Silent Wave Motor for fast, quiet autofocusing with most Nikon SLRs
- instant switching from automatic to manual focus by turning the focusing ring
- effective focal length:
- 58mm with full-frame (FX) sensor digital or 35mm film cameras
- 87mm with Nikon DX sensor cameras
- minimum focus distance: 22.8"
- minimum aperture: f/16
- rounded 9-blade diaphragm renders smoother, more natural background blur
- lens construction: 9 elements in 6 groups
- Nano Crystal Coat anti-reflective lens coating reduces ghosting and flare for even greater image clarity
- attachment/filter size: 72mm
- lens is 3-5/16" in diameter, 3-1/8" long
- weight: 13.6 oz.
- warranty: 5 years with Nikon registration
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- front and rear lens caps
- lens hood
- soft lens case
What's in the Box:
- AF-S NIKKOR 58mm f/1.4G
- LC-72 Snap-on 77mm front lens cap (installed)
- LF-4 Rear lens cap
- HB-68 Bayonet Lens hood
- CL-1015 Soft lens case
- User's Manual
- 5 Years of Protection sheet
Features and Specs
|Parts Warranty||5 Years w/registration|
|Labor Warranty||5 Years w/registration|
Overview: The Nikon AF-S Nikkor 58mm f/1.4G lens is a fixed focal length lens with a fast f/1.4 aperture for extreme light-gathering capability. It has been optimized for edge-to-edge sharpness on both FX and DX-format D-SLRs. When mounted on a DX-format camera, the angle of view is reduced and equivalent to the focal length of approximately 87mm in FX/35mm format (see Specifications below).
Nano Crystal Coat: Nikon's Nano Crystal Coat is an anti-reflective coating that eliminates internal lens reflections which cause ghosting and flaring when light enters the lens diagonally.
Aspherical Lens Element: The lens has two aspherical lens elements, which is a lens with a curved, non-spherical surface. This reduces aberrations and enable a more compact lens size. Aspherical lenses minimize coma and other types of lens abrerrations, even at the widest aperture.
Silent Wave Motor (SWM): The exclusive Nikon Silent Wave Motor (SWM) enables fast, accurate, and quiet auto focus.
Focus Mode Switch: The Focus Mode switch on the barrel of the lens lets you easily switch between manual focus and auto focus. If you want to enable auto focusing, the camera must be set to Auto Focus, and the switch on the lens needs to be set to "M/A". With most Nikon D-SLRs, the lens gives you a manual override option, allowing you to rotate the separate focus ring while pressing the shutter release halfway.
Diaphragm: The lens is equipped with a rounded 9-blade diaphragm, which can achieve beautiful bokeh with soft, natural edges that smoothly diminishes away from your focal point. The bokeh characteristics can provide smooth focusing transitions to draw attention to your subject when recording HD video.
Lens Hood: The lens comes with the HB-68 bayonet-type lens hood. The hood adds approximately 2" to the overall length of the lens. You can invert the hood and snap it onto the lens for storage, if desired.
- Type of Lens: Type G AF-S Nikkor lens with a built-in CPU
- Type of Mount: Nikon F-bayonet type
- Filter Diameter: 72mm
- Focal Length: 58mm (equivalent to 87mm on DX-format camera)
- Closest Focus Distance: 22.8" (1.9')
- Focusing Method: AutoFocus controlled by a Silent Wave Motor; Manually by a separate focus ring
- Aperture Range: f/1.4 to f/16
- Lens Construction: 9 elements in 6 groups with 2 aspherical lens element, and lens elements with a Nano Crystal Coat
- Angle of View:
- FX/35mm Format: 40° 50'
- DX Format: 27° 20'
- Diaphragm Blades: 9 (rounded diaphragm opening)
- Dimensions: Diameter=3.338", Length=3.082" (3.685" w/caps)
- Weight: approximately 13.6 ounces
Warranty Terms: Nikon offers a 1-year parts and labor warranty on this lens. An additional 4-year Extended Service Coverage is available at no charge if you register the product with Nikon within 10 days of purchase.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.