Digital multimedia receiver
| Watch a product demo |
Crutchfield: Sony XAV-AX5000 display and controls demo
Item # 158XAV5000 | MFR # XAVAX5000
Price break: -$30.00 Price break ends 11/17
$399.99 Earn up to 400 Rewards points
Offers & Financing
Ask an expert
Our VA-based experts can help.
Our take on the Sony XAV-AX5000 by Crutchfield's Ken Nail
Times have changed
Remember when you only had a radio in your car? How quaint. Smartphones are now the way we roll when we're driving, thanks to car stereos like Sony's XAV-AX5000 digital multimedia receiver. This Sony integrates beautifully with Apple CarPlay® and Android Auto so you can access your media with easy-to-use icons and pages, and even use your voice to make commands so your eyes stay on the road. When you do sneak a peek, you'll be impressed by the clarity and color of Sony's new bezel-less 7" flat mirror LCD display. Sony knows how to build beautiful display screens, and I think this is one of the sharpest ones on the market.
Use your phone's nav functions with Android Auto (pictured) or Apple CarPlay.
The phone is the key
Apple CarPlay and Android Auto let you access your phone's content with the sound of your voice or the touch of a finger. This stereo's controls behave like your phone's interface, so there's no learning curve. Plug in your Android™ or iPhone®, and you'll get access to your navigation, phone calls, weather, text messages, and of course all your music. Get more info at www.apple.com/ios/carplay and www.android.com/auto.
Go wireless with Bluetooth®
Bluetooth enables wireless streaming for music, podcasts, and audiobooks, along with the convenience of hands-free phone calls. This Sony lets you enjoy all the content without plugging in when you get behind the wheel. You can install the included wired microphone close to you, so callers can hear you loud and clear.
Music — lots of music
If you groove to your favorite music services on your iPhone or Android, you'll dig playing music from Pandora and Spotify on this receiver. If you're looking for radio stations that won't fade away when you look for new adventures, add a SiriusXM tuner to this Sony to enjoy satellite radio's deep programming from coast to coast.
This receiver also offers an impressive array of sound-sculpting controls, including a 10-band graphic equalizer and Dynamic Stage Organizer (DSO) which creates virtual speakers on your dash for better soundstaging. Supporting the soundshaping is the clear and natural sound of Sony's powerful Dynamic Reality Amp 2. The XAV-AX5000 also includes three pairs of preamp outputs for when it's time to add amplifiers to your system.
Want to keep your car's steering wheel audio controls?
In most cars, you'll need an adapter to retain those controls with this car stereo. Connect a few wires, then program the adapter for your particular car and radio, and you'll retain the convenience of your steering wheel controls. You'll see the adapters that work with your vehicle when you add this receiver to your cart.
Bluetooth note: Use of this receiver's Bluetooth features will depend upon your phone's Bluetooth capabilities. Learn more in our article explaining Bluetooth profiles.
- digital multimedia receiver with AM/FM tuner
- 6.95" touchscreen display on bezel-less panel
- works with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto
- plays FLAC files on USB drives
- Bluetooth hands-free calling and audio streaming
- Pandora and Spotify control with iPhone and Android
- plays media from USB memory devices
- 10-band equalizer with digital time alignment
- Dynamic Stage Organizer (DSO) compensates for low speaker positions
- subwoofer controls
- compatible with SiriusXM satellite radio tuner
- inputs: dual rear USB inputs, rear-view camera input
- outputs: 5-channel preamp outputs (2-volt front, rear, subwoofer)
- built-in internal amp (17 watts RMS/55 peak x 4 channels)
- CTA-2006 compliant
- fits double-DIN dash openings
- compatible with most factory steering wheel audio controls (adapter required)
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- Digital media receiver w/ 6.95" touchscreen monitor (10A fuse)
- Wiring harness
- Remote control (RM-X170)
- CR2025 3V battery (installed in remote)
- Microphone w/ bracket (attached 12' cable terminated by a right-angle mono-3.5mm connector)
- Two-sided tape
- 4 ISO-screws
- Operating Instructions
- Warranty Sheet
Amazing product for the price and great features
Brian, Sarasota, FL
We'll do the wiring for you
What in the world could be easier?
Peter from Westfield, MA
Take some of the stress out of your stereo installation with a custom-crimped Crutchfield ReadyHarness™. Enter your vehicle info to learn more.
Sony XAV-AX5000 Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|USB Input||Rear (2)|
|Memory Card Slot||USB memory|
|Satellite Radio Ready||SiriusXM|
|RMS Power (CTA-2006)||20 watts|
|RMS Power (Manufacturer)||20 watts|
|Peak Output||55 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||20-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||No|
|Preamp Voltage||2 volts|
|Key Button Color||White|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||Adapter required|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|FM Sensitivity||7 dBf|
|Radio Data System||Yes|
Android Auto: Thanks to Android Auto, you can connect your Android OS 5.0 (Lollipop) or later smartphone via a USB cable to the Sony receiver's rear-panel USB port (labeled "USB1-Smartphone) and operate many of the major functions of your Android phone through the Sony head unit's touchscreen. Get traffic information, lane guidance, and real-time navigation assistance from Google maps right from the Sony receiver. You can even send text messages, take calls, or check your voicemail through Android Auto and the Sony receiver. Android Auto also includes voice-recognition technology, so you can control everything just by speaking. Get directions, send messages, make calls, and control music while keeping your hands safely on the wheel.
- Google Assistant: The Sony receiver enhances your Android Auto experience even more by incorporating Google Assistant using the head unit's external microphone and your car speakers for voice command and text-to-speech, which makes using Android Auto and all of its integrated applications fast, easy, and safe. You will need to press the "mic" button or say "OK Google" to activate the Google Assistant. Use the Google Assistant to make a call, send a message, reply to a message, get driving directions, or listen to music.
- Google & Waze Maps: Use Google Maps to get where you're going with on-screen maps, voice-guided navigation, live traffic information, lane guidance, and more. Select your destination by using the head unit's touchscreen or just say where you want to go through the unit's external mic and Google Speech Technology. You can even listen to music from your Android Auto device or other connected source device while using Google Maps. If you prefer, you can switch over to a simpler version of the community-based Waze navigation app (version 4.27 or higher).
- Phone & SMS: With Android Auto you get access to your contacts and messages through the Sony receiver while keeping your eyes on the road. Use the unit's external mic and Google Speech Technology to make a phone call, or have your text-messages read aloud to you while you concentrate on the road ahead; you can even reply to texts via voice command.
- Music: Access your Android smartphone's music library through the Sony receiver via Google Play Music. You'll be able to browse music like you do on your smartphone with song/artist information display and album art. Use the receiver's touchscreen to select songs or just say what song you want to listen to through the head unit's external mic and Google Speech Technology. You also get access to online music and internet radio stations from Amazon Music Pandora, Spotify, iHeart Radio, Slacker Radio, & Tune-In. Music apps include song and station browsing, plus song/artist information and album art or station logo.
- Android smartphones with a USB Type-C connector (including the Pixel) may not function without appropriate USB Type-A to USB Type-C cable.
- Bluetooth hands-free phone cannot be used while Android Auto is being used with a connected Android smartphone. However, you can stream Bluetooth audio while using Android Auto's Google Maps.
- Use a USB cable that is under 6' long and avoid using any extension cable other than the one attached to the rear chassis.
- You cannot connect an Android Auto and Apple CarPlay device at the same time.
- The USB port (labeled "USB2-USB Memory") cannot be used for Android Auto and only supports USB MSC or MTP devices.
- Click here to learn more about Android Auto and to see what latest smartphones are compatible.
Apple CarPlay: Use all your essential iPhone functions on the road, with Apple CarPlay and your iPhone 5 or newer (running iOS 7.1 or higher). Connect your phone via an Apple-certified Lightning-to-USB cable to the receiver's rear-panel USB port (labeled "USB1-Smartphone), and you'll see a familiar interface displayed clearly on the Sony receiver's touchscreen. Simply tap the icons to take calls, check voicemails and text messages, or bring up maps. And of course, listen to your favorite songs using iTunes, Apple Music, or select music apps. Apple CarPlay even lets you talk to Siri to control everything using voice commands. You can dictate text messages, control music playback, or get directions, without ever taking your eyes off the road.
- Maps: The power and simplicity of Apple Maps comes to your dashboard; complete with turn-by-turn direction, traffic conditions, and estimated travel time. You can enter a new destination or choose a favorite or recent destination using the head unit's touchscreen or by simply asking Siri. CarPlay can also predict where you most likely want to go using addresses from your email, text messages, contacts, and calendars.
- Phone & Messages: You'll be able to make calls, return missed calls, and listen to voicemails through the Sony receiver. Siri can also help you do all these things. In addition, Siri can send, read, and reply to your text messages for you; so you never have to look at your iPhone while driving. If you have iOS 12.0 or newer on your iPhone with the latest version of Google Maps or Waze (coming soon), you can choose to navigate via Google Maps or Waze instead of CarPlay. Google Maps and Waze do not support Siri voice control, but will have there own proprietary voice control function which has to be accessed through a touchscreen icon on the receiver.
- Music Library: Access your artists, song, playlists, and iTunes Radio on your iPhone using the Sony receiver's touchscreen. Or, just tell Siri what you'd like to listen to. The head unit's touchscreen will display song/artist information, as well as album art in the background.
- Apps: CarPlay also supports additional audio apps that you've downloaded to your iPhone for enjoying music, radio, sports, news, podcasts, & audiobooks. Control them from the head unit's touchscreen just like you would from your iPhone. Current supported apps include (fees may apply):
- Apple CarPlay is compatible with iPhone 5 or newer running the latest iOS version.
- Bluetooth hands-free phone cannot be used while Apple CarPlay is being used with a connected iPhone. However, you can stream Bluetooth audio while using Apple CarPlay Maps.
- You cannot connect an Apple CarPlay and Android Auto device at the same time.
- The USB port (labeled "USB2-USB Memory") cannot be used for CarPlay and only supports USB MSC or MTP devices.
Smartphone Charging: The Sony receiver's USB port (labeled "USB1-Smartphone) provides 1.5A of current to power and charge your connected iPhone or Android smartphone device when your vehicle's ignition switch is set to the 'ACC' or 'On' position. If your iPhone or Android device has no initial battery charge, then the unit will not recognize it.
USB Extension Note: The Sony XAV-AX5000's USB port (labeled "USB1-Smartphone) is attached to the rear-chassis via a 59" cable. Only an Apple certified Lightning-to-USB or Android-compliant USB cable when connecting your iPhone or Android device for CarPlay or Android Auto. Do not use any other USB extension cable and do not use 3rd party Lightning-to-USB or USB cables that are not Apple certified or Android compliant. Using other types of cables can result in CarPlay or Android Auto malfunction.
Bluetooth 3.0: The Sony XAV-AX5000 is equipped with built-in Bluetooth 3,0, allowing you to make and receive phone calls wirelessly through the receiver; as well as stream music wirelessly from your smartphone to the head unit. In order to use Bluetooth wireless technology, your phone must also be Bluetooth compatible and be able to interpret certain profiles. This unit is compatible with the following Bluetooth Profiles:
- Hands-Free Communication: HFP 1.6 (Hands Free Profile), PBAB 1.1 (Phone Book Access Profile).
- Audio Streaming: A2DP 1.3 (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile), AVRCP 1.3 (Audio/Video Remote Control Profile).
Note: Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the Sony XAV-AX5000. Please visit Sony eSupport for a complete list of compatible Bluetooth enabled phones.
Simple Secure Pairing: With Secure Simple Pairing (SSP), you can easily pair a Bluetooth enabled phone to the Sony XAV-AX5000 without having to enter pin codes or go through complicated settings. This unit can only be paired and connected with one Bluetooth device at a time.
Hands-Free Communication (w/ External Mic): The Sony XAV-AX5000 supports Bluetooth hands-free communication for your Bluetooth enabled cell-phone. Bluetooth hands-free communication helps to minimize distraction while driving by allowing you to control your mobile phone from the head unit, so you don't have to touch your mobile phone. The controls of the XAV-AX5000 can be used to dial a number, answer an in-coming call, or end a call. The unit also features an external microphone (featuring adjustable gain), so you can carry on your side of the conversation while listening to the caller through your vehicles speakers. And thanks to the latest Hands-Free Profile (HFP 1.6) with wideband speech capability, the XAV-AX5000 provides more natural sound quality and details during wireless calls.
- Answering Calls: Incoming calls can be answered manually or automatically through the Sony head unit, while the ring tone is output from your car speakers and the caller's name or phone number is displayed on the head unit's touchscreen. Incoming calls can also be rejected if desired.
- Dialing a Number: Using the XAV-AX5000, you can dial a
phone number in a variety of ways.
- Entering Phone #: Allows you to manually dial a phone number using the unit's touchscreen keypad.
- Preset Dial: You can store up to 6 contacts in the preset dial for quick dialing from the unit's touchscreen.
- Phone Book: You can transfer up to 1,000 contacts from your phone's phonebook and store them in the head unit for easy access using the unit's touchscreen monitor.
- Call History: The unit will store the last 20 calls, allowing you to select a previous phone number quickly from the list.
- Redial: Use this feature to easily redial the last number you called.
- Phone Call Adjustments: During a conversation, you can adjust the ringtone volume, adjust the caller's voice volume level, adjust the microphone gain level, as well as switch between the Hands-Free Mode and the Hands-Held Mode (talking directly on your cell phone).
Wireless Audio Streaming (w/ Metadata Display): The Sony XAV-AX5000 also supports wireless audio playback (AD2P) and control (AVRCP) of a Bluetooth enabled audio player or smartphone. You can stream stored music and music apps from your Bluetooth-enabled device to the XAV-AX5000.
- SBC + AAC Codecs: In addition to support for the standard SBC Bluetooth audio codec, the XAV-AX5000 offers support of AAC. By supporting AAC, the Sony digital media receiver offers better audio performance of the music streamed from your Apple iPod, iPhone, or iPad.
- Advanced Music Browsing: In addition to basic playback functions (Play/Pause, FF/RW, Skip, Random/Repeat), the XAV-AX5000 lets you browse your stored music by Playlist, Artist, Album, Song, etc. (AVRCP 1.4 phones only; which includes Android 4.0+ and iPhone 5.0+).
- Song/Artist Info: The head unit will also display your music's song/artist information; such as Artist name, Song title, and Album title (no album art).
Note: When an incoming call or outgoing call is in progress from your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone, audio streaming will be paused so you can take your call. Once the call is finished, your streaming music will resume.
Dual USB Ports (for MSC & MTP Playback): The Sony XAV-AX5000 features two rear-panel USB (type-A) ports that are attached to the rear chassis via 59" cables. Either USB port supports the connection of a USB MSC device, while one of the USB ports also supports connection of a USB MTP device. You'll be able to playback a variety of audio files on your compatible USB MSC or MTP device through the Sony receiver, as well as control playback and view song/artist information with album art. One of the USB ports also supports video playback from a USB MSC device. USB MSC and MTP devices that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the receiver's USB ports (USB1 = 1.5A / USB2 = 500mA), and the vehicle's ignition switch is set to ACC or On.
- MSC Playback: Both USB ports will support connection of a USB (mass storage class) device for playback from a USB thumbdrive or portable digital audio player (like a Sony Walkman). The USB port labeled "USB1-Smartphone" supports audio and video file playback, while the USB port labeled "USB2-USB Memory" only supports audio file playback. During USB MSC playback, the unit will provide control and song/artist display with album art.
- MTP Playback: In addition to MSC playback, the USB port labeled" USB2-USB Memory" also supports connection of a MTP (media transfer protocol) device (including select Android smartphones) for playback of a variety of audio files. During USB MTP playback, the unit will provide control and song/artist display with album art.
- Using both USB ports - you can have two USB MSC devices connected at the same time, one MSC and one MTP device connected at the same time, or one MSC or MTP device and one CarPlay or Android Auto device connected at the same time.
- This unit's USB ports do not support connection of USB hubs or USB card-readers.
Audio/Video File Compatibility: See chart below for compatible files types regarding USB MSC (mass storage class) and MTP (media transfer protocol) devices.
|Supported Features||USB Ports|
|USB Type||MSC||MSC, MTP|
|File System||FAT 12/16/32, exFAT||FAT 12/16/32|
|Audio Files||MP3 (48-320kbps; 32-48kHz), WMA (48-192kbps; 44.1kHz), AAC (40-320kbps; 8-48kHz), FLAC (16-bit; 8-48kHz), WAV (16/24-bit; 8-48kHz)||MP3 (48-320kbps; 32-48kHz), WMA (48-192kbps; 44.1kHz), AAC (40-320kbps; 8-48kHz)|
|Video Files||MPEG-4 (1280x720), WMV (720x480), MKV (1280x720), Xvid (1280x720)||N|
|CarPlay/Android Auto Compatible||CarPlay, Android Auto||N|
Digital Clarity Tuner w/ RDS: The Sony XAV-AX5000 is equipped with a Digital Clarity Tuner for clear AM/FM stereo sound with digital processing technology. The radio features 5 memory bands to store and receive AM/FM stations. You can store up to 6 presets each in FM1, FM2, FM3, AM1 and AM2 (total: 18 FM/12 AM). Preset tuning can be done manually or automatically.
- BSM (Best Station Memory): BSM (Best Tuning Memory) selects stations with the best signals within the selected band and stores them in order of their frequency. You can select from FM1, FM2, FM3, AM1, and AM2.
- RDS: FM stations with Radio Data System (RDS) service send inaudible digital information along with the regular radio program signal. Radio Data System (RDS) displays radio broadcast information such as artist, title, and album when listening to compatible FM stations.
SiriusXM-Ready: The Sony XAV-AX5000 is SiriusXM-Ready and compatible with the SiriusXM Connect Vehicle Tuner (220SXV300 sold separately). The SiriusXM Connect Vehicle Tuner supports SiriusXM programming with access to 175+ SiriusXM channels via subscription; check out the most popular SiriusXM subscription packages here. Additional features of the SiriusXM Connect tuner include:
- Channel list displays a list of all available channels
- Category Search searches for channels in a certain category
- Displayed Information such as Channel Name, Artist Name, & Song Title can be viewed on the head unit's LCD
- Up to 18 SiriusXM Satellite Radio station presets
- Channels containing unsuitable content for children can be blocked
Note: A separate SiriusXM Satellite Radio subscription is required (operates on the XM Network). However, you can easily add this SiriusXM tuner to an existing Sirius or XM account for a Multi-Radio Discount Plan.
Dynamic Reality Amp 2: The Dynamic Reality Amp 2 gives you 20W (RMS) x 4ch / 55W (Peak) x 4ch of power, so you can play music as loudly or softly as you like with clarity and detail. The amp has 47% less internal resistance than conventional units, for increased output and clear, natural sound at any volume.
- Continuous Power Output: 20 watts RMS x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 20Hz-20kHz, 1% THD-N)
- Peak Power Output: 55 watts x 4-channels (220 total watts)
Note: The power specifications for the Sony XAV-AX5000 are compliant with the CTA2006 Mobile Amplifier Power Testing and Measurement standards from the Consumer Technology Association (CTA). These standards were developed as a way to equitably compare power specs from model to model and between manufacturers.
5ch/2V Preouts+ Subwoofer Control: The XAV-AX5000 contains five 2-volt RCA preouts; a front channel pair, rear channel pair, and mono-subwoofer channel. The front and rear channel preouts can be faded, while the subwoofer preout is non-fading. You can adjust the subwoofer preout's volume level (-10 to +10) independently from the head unit's volume control. You can also select the phase of the subwoofer output from Normal or Reverse.
Low-Pass & High-Pass Filter: The unit's subwoofer preout features a low pass filter with a selectable cut-off frequency of 50Hz, 60Hz, 80Hz, 100Hz, or 120Hz. The front & rear speaker high-level and low-level outputs offer a selectable high-pass crossover frequency of 50Hz, 60Hz, 80Hz, 100Hz, 120Hz, or Off.
10-Band EQ: You can select from a variety of preset EQ curves. Select from R&B, Rock, Pop, Dance, Hip-Hop, Electronica, Jazz, Soul, Country, Custom, & Off. The Custom EQ preset mode allows you to tailor the sound to your personal preference with its 10-band graphic equalizer. Cut and boost ten different frequencies (32, 63, 125, 250, 500, 1k, 2k, 4k, 8k, 16k Hz) from -10 to +10 for unlimited sound sculpting options.
Dynamic Stage Organizer (DSO): Sound waves are directional, so if your speakers are in your doors or under your dash, the audio may seem muddy or unclear. Dynamic Stage Organizer (DSO) adjusts the signal, improving the stereo positioning so music sounds like it's coming from the dashboard
ExtraBass: Activate ExtraBass at the touch of a button for an instant, low-end boost. Unlike conventional bass boosters, ExtraBass minimizes distortion at all volume levels by automatically adjusting frequency and gain to their optimal positions.
Beep Tone: The in-dash head unit provides an audible beep to confirm button operation (only when using the receiver's built-in amp). This function can be turned On or Off.
6.95" Capactive Touchscreen w/ Gesture Control: The Sony XAV-AX5000 digital media receiver is equipped with a 6.95" capacitive touchscreen that offers a crystal clear display and highly responsive touch-sensitive control. The ultra-slim 6.95" touchscreen display uses a bezel-less panel, for a smooth fit on the dashboard that blends seamlessly with your car interior. The 6.95" touchscreen monitor has a resolution of 800 RGB x 480 (1,152,000 pixels). With Gesture Control, you can perform frequently-used operations by simply swiping your finger on the touchscreen monitor to the left, right, up, or down (Gesture control is not supported by CarPlay or Android Auto).
- Wallpaper: You can choose between five color wallpapers (Purple, Blue, Green, Red, Black) for the background image of the unit's touchscreen monitor; or download a custom image from an inserted USB thumbdrive.
- Picture EQ: You can select a picture quality mode suitable for the interior brightness of your vehicle. You can choose from Dynamic, Standard, Theater, or Custom. This feature is only available when the parking brake is engaged and USB video is the selected source.
- Aspect Ratio: You can also change the screen's aspect ratio to suit your video content. You can choose from Normal, Zoom, Full, or Captions. This feature is only available when the parking brake is engaged and USB video is the selected source.
- Dimmer: To change the brightness of the display you can set the Sony receiver to one of two dimmer modes; Dimmer Auto (dims the display automatically when you turn your vehicle's lights on), or Dimmer On (display always dim). You can adjust the dimmer level from -5 to +5.
Note: To prevent the displaying of video while the vehicle is in motion, the light green wire in the supplied harness must be connected to the vehicle's parking brake detection circuit. Video can only be displayed when the vehicle's parking brake is engaged. While the vehicle is in motion (parking brake off) - you can still enjoy CarPlay, Android Auto, & Bluetooth, as well as access audio adjustments.
Front-Panel Buttons: Push-button controls along the bottom edge of the 6.95" touchscreen display provides instant access to commonly-used features such as volume, source, sound settings and voice control for safe and easy operation on the road
Remote Control: The Sony XAV-AX5000 comes with an IR wireless remote control and supports compatibility with steering wheel remote adapters (sold separately).
- IR Remote: The included IR remote (RM-X170) provides wireless control of the Sony receiver. The included wireless remote allows you to control the basic functions (not Bluetooth Phone) of the Sony head unit while keeping your eyes on the road.
- SWC Input: This receiver is compatible with aftermarket steering wheel audio control adapters (sold separately) designed to retain your vehicles existing factory steering wheel controls (if equipped) once the factory radio is replaced with an aftermarket head unit. Its 3.5mm rear-panel mounted SWC input jack allows for simple connectivity (other hardwire connections may be required).
Rearview Camera Input: The Sony XAV-AX5000 is equipped with a composite video rearview camera input to connect a backup camera (sold separately - see Accessories Tab). By connecting a backup camera, you can use the in-dash receiver's touchscreen monitor to see what's behind you when backing up.
- Parking Guide Lines: When a backup camera is connected and you are viewing a rearview image, parking guide lines appear on-screen making parking easy and safer. There are three color-coded horizontal guidelines. The parking guide lines can be customized to fit your type of vehicle better.
- Auto-Switching: When your vehicle's shift lever is in the reverse position, the screen automatically switches to the rear view camera; the purple/white wire of the included harness must be connected to the vehicle's reverse lamp circuit for automatic video switching. Automatic video switching takes approximately 1.1 seconds. You can also manually select the rearview camera input from the head units touchscreen..
Note: The rearview camera feature is meant as a backup aid only; never solely rely on the rearview camera when backing up. In addition to using the rearview camera, always look behind you to make sure everything is clear when backing up your vehicle.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Why did you buy this?
Need [ clinton Oct 18, 2018 ]
looks [ Harold Oct 14, 2018 ]
features [ DONALD G Oct 12, 2018 ]
Recommended by adviser and looked overall best. [ Walter Oct 06, 2018 ]
My head unit in my Jeep just isn't working up to spec and to be honest, it would be easier to learn this unit than the factory unit installed in the dash right now. And perhaps one day, I'll upgrade to the Hi Res player currently saved for later in my profile. [ Theodore Sep 13, 2018 ]
Wanted an Android auto headunit that wouldn't require cutting of dashboard supports. [ Peter Sep 08, 2018 ]
It was on sale. [ Gary Sep 05, 2018 ]
beucase i really like everything it has on it [ norma Aug 27, 2018 ]
After exhaustively reviewing CarPlay radio inserts around a certain price range (to include several YouTube videos) this seemed to be the best reviewed and best compatible for how I interact with my car. [ GREGORY Aug 17, 2018 ]
I chose this head unit because of the clean and low key look, also, the remapping of steering wheel controls and capacitive touch screen are nice features. It seemed relatively fast and responsive in videos i watched as well. [ Collin Jul 31, 2018 ]
I personally like the brand...and the screen size is 7 inch.. [ HYO Jul 23, 2018 ]
Harley Davidson [ carl Jul 13, 2018 ]
Product Research [ Akitoshi Jun 06, 2018 ]
Need decent double DIN unit for my 2013 Toyota minivan. Never had issues with any Sony products bought and used in the past so hopefully this one will work as advertised. [ Dan May 22, 2018 ]
15 questions already asked
This will depend largely on your vehicle. For details on installation please contact an Advisor by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat. They will be able to pull up your vehicle and give you the details on what you will need for an installation. [ Kenny Nov 09, 2018 ] Staff
No [ James Sean Nov 06, 2018 ]
No [ Darren Nov 06, 2018 ]
NO [ GEORGE Nov 06, 2018 ]
No [ David Nov 05, 2018 ]
No, its fixed. [ Matt Nov 05, 2018 ]
No, this unit does not have a detachable face. [ Robin Nov 05, 2018 ]
No [ patrick Nov 05, 2018 ]
No the face isn't detachable. [ Daniel Nov 05, 2018 ]
No [ Pedro Nov 05, 2018 ]
No [ Jc Nov 05, 2018 ]
my apologies, I'm really not quite sure. Sorry couldn't help. [ Jeff Oct 23, 2018 ]
It has the input, but you'll need the tuner and the antenna. [ Shane Oct 21, 2018 ]
No, you have to buy it separate. [ Kevin Oct 20, 2018 ]
1 answer What are the dimensions of this unit? How deep from front to back? How much farther down does the screen come down in the front beyond the main unit? I'm trying to figure out if I can fit this in a single DIN slot in a car that has extra space on the dash below (obviously this will be a custom job). [ Jeff S Oct 12, 2018 ]
You'd be better off with a fold out unit, it's not small. [ Michael Oct 16, 2018 ]
I haven't found a way to do that? You're talking about the Sony icons right? Not CarPlay? [ MARLON Sep 24, 2018 ]
It has it built in I believe. I'm pretty sure you plug the antenna into the receiver. [ MARLON Aug 19, 2018 ]
Yes, unless you use a phone that has the xm app. [ wayne Aug 19, 2018 ]
Yea. This unit does not include a built-in XM tuner. [ Ian Aug 19, 2018 ]
At this time; we do not have any dash mount kits or integration harness options for the 2006 Range Rover or Range Rover Sport models. As a result, we do not recommend installing an aftermarket stereo in these vehicles. For additional assistance and personalized recommendations, feel free to contact us directly by phone or through our online chat service: https://www.crutchfield.com/support/ContactUs.aspx [ Ryan Aug 17, 2018 ] Staff
The backup camera video is automatically shown when the car is put in reverse. There is no button to manually show the camera video. [ Andy Jul 19, 2018 ]
It will change to the back up camera automatically. There is a reverse wire coming from the head that will need to be wired to the hot wire of the camera. This is necessary since the RCA doesn't support an "input" signal from the camera being on and do so automatically. I should mention that I wired my camera to the reverse lights power supply and will only come on when I put it in reverse. If I choose camera while driving forward it will say no signal. [ Adam J Jul 19, 2018 ]
If installed correctly, yes. I'd highly recommend paying the extra $25 or so for the Crutchfield ReadyHarness service and any appropriate stearing wheel control interfaces to insure your install maintains the correct functionality. The ReadyHarness is also a big time saver. [ Joseph Jul 19, 2018 ]
It will change multimedia into the back up camera when the car in put into reverse. [ WILLIAM Jul 19, 2018 ]
It will change multimedia into back up camera, the music will still keep playing in the background [ rodrigo Jul 19, 2018 ]
Yes, but you have to do the wiring yourself to tap into your car's reverse trigger. Crutchfield cannot provide clear instructions for your specific car and I doubt that the instructions will give your clear instructions (mine didn't). I ran into a problem where I tapped into the right wire but the 12v to 6v converter that I got dropped the voltage down to 3v resulting in garbage image quality. It turned out that the converter itself might be defective on arrival. After switching out to a new one, it worked perfectly. [ M Jul 19, 2018 ]
It automatically switches to backup camera [ christopher Jul 18, 2018 ]
If camera is wired in correctly it switches automatically when car is put in reverse.Enter [ Derek Jul 18, 2018 ]
I installed this unit in a Jeep Wrangler last week. Whenever I put the vehicle in reverse, it switches to the camera input, despite not having a camera installed. When placing in drive, it reverts back to whatever media was playing beforehand. I would caution that this is fully dependent upon how the unit is wired into the vehicle. I sprang for the vehicle specific wiring harness so installation was painless. [ Joseph Jul 18, 2018 ]
If you connect the reverse wire to the appropriate connection , it will jump from main display to the back up cam The option to use back up cam by manual selection is available if you connect the reverse to a constant 12 volt , It all depends on your design You could with the right design accomplish both I cant instruct you to do this , but for my setting it works as I out it in reverse [ Ehsan Jul 18, 2018 ]
I have not tried it on the USB interface, but with streaming audio you can just tap the slider bar on the UI to fast forward to a specific part of a song. [ Keith Jul 26, 2018 ]
Yes [ Mark Jul 17, 2018 ]
I use Android play instead of Apple play but yes, you can still play music in the background. I used Waze for the first time a couple of days ago and used Google play in the background. You can switch between the Waze app and the music app easily. Even though I prefer Waze, I find that Waze is a bit glitchy and closed on me a few times, so I switched over to google maps and didn't have any problems. [ DON L Jul 17, 2018 ]
When IOS 12 get released, waze and gmaps will be available. I'm not sure if the receiver will need to be updated by sony as well. [ Reza Jul 17, 2018 ]
Not at this time. Apple acts like a nanny and only lets you use Apple maps at this time. Apple has announced that when the IOS 12 comes out you will be about to use waze and google maps. Should be in the fall sometime. [ wayne Jul 16, 2018 ]
Probably. I say probably because Spotify+Apple Maps works simultaneously. Waze support should be coming to CarPlay with the Apple IOS12 release later this year, assuming Waze updates their app to support it [ Tanarut Jul 16, 2018 ]
I'm having it installed at the moment but from what I understand, not if you have an iPhone, Apple wants you to exclusively use their crappy map app without giving the user the choice, whereas if you are running an Android phone you can open the app on the screen. But I believe you can still run Waze and have the audio play through Apple Play and hear it through your car speakers but you'd have to look at the phone if you require the visuals. That's what happens when you have a bean counter at the head of Apple since Jobs passed. [ Tunc Jul 16, 2018 ]
Yes [ DON L Jul 17, 2018 ]
Yes it does. [ Sami Jun 27, 2018 ]
I don't have an android phone, however I know that with CarPlay on the iPhone it does charge the phone, albeit quite slowly. [ Shane Jun 27, 2018 ]
Charges my Note 8 just fine! [ Ken Jun 27, 2018 ]
Both Android Auto and Carplay charge the phone while in use. USB 1 is for use with AA abd carplay and is 1.5 Ap so it should charge at a normal speed. USB 2 is only 500mA and probably wont charge a modern phone very well. [ Patrick Jun 27, 2018 ]
Yes [ JimDod Jun 27, 2018 ]
I haven't tried it for Android, but for iOS / CarPlay it does. Since powers running to the usb plug, I have no reason to think it wouldn't for Android [ Christopher Jun 27, 2018 ]
Yes it does! [ SEONGHO Jun 27, 2018 ]
Yes it does [ KYLE Jun 27, 2018 ]
1 answer 2015 Honda CR-V feature integration questions. Does this unit support (full support/partial support/no support) the following? 1. Streering wheel controls: voice recognition button, audio controls, source control 2. Backup camera modes (3): wide view, normal view, and top-down view 3. Automatic view of passenger-side blindspot camera (LaneWatch) upon right-turn signal 4. Manual view of passenger-side blindspot camera (LaneWatch) upon button press on turn signal [ anon412 May 30, 2018 ]
The factory steering wheel controls can be retained with the proper installation accessories for your vehicle. At this time, the factory back-up/blindside cameras will not be retained when any new stereo is installed (not just this Sony). For additional assistance and personalized recommendations, feel free to contact us directly by phone or through our online chat service: https://www.crutchfield.com/support/ContactUs.aspx [ Ryan Jun 06, 2018 ] Staff
One USB cable can be used for the phone and the other is for a USB stick that you can load music onto. Each cord is clearly labeled so you shouldn't have any issues figuring out which one to use. I haven't tried hooking up two phones to it but from reading the manual, it doesn't look like this is possible. [ Matthew Jun 04, 2018 ]
You can't hook up two phones at the same time. One of the USB slots is only for a thumbdrive. [ mulamutti Jun 03, 2018 ]
CarPlay and Android Auto is only available on USB2. USB1 is able to use downloaded music on a flash drive or music player. I'm not sure if you can do both at the same time but it sounds very likely. [ Paul Jun 03, 2018 ]
Yes, I couldn't figure out how to get rid of it. [ DON L Jul 17, 2018 ]
Yes [ wayne Jul 16, 2018 ]
yes, it is for me. [ mulamutti Jun 03, 2018 ]
Yes, unfortunately. If you have your phone connected via USB1, that shows up and causes the USB2 input button to slide off the screen. That means you have to swipe over to have that show up on the screen before you can select it. All because you have that useless XM button sitting there taking up precious UI space. [ Ian May 28, 2018 ]
Frequently Compared With
Digital multimedia receiver
Digital multimedia receiver
Digital multimedia receiver
Digital multimedia receiver with Android Auto™ and Apple CarPlay™ (does not play CDs)