MartinLogan Motion® Vision X
Powered sound bar with DTS Play-Fi®
Our take on the MartinLogan Motion® Vision X by Crutchfield's Jeff Miller
A world-class sound bar deserves a world of music choices
The MartinLogan Motion Vision X can rest on an A/V cabinet or mount on your wall.
Our customers have overwhelmingly positive things to say about the original MartinLogan Motion Vision sound bar. So when it came to sound, the company figured, why mess with success? This next-generation MartinLogan Vision X has the same engaging home theater sound that many customers called, "outstanding." It's thanks to seven sophisticated drivers and simulated surround processing that really draws you into your movies, shows, and games.
But beyond some sweet new design touches — you'll notice the top-panel and heavy-duty remote are built of brushed black aluminum — this sound bar's major upgrade is the addition of DTS Play-Fi®. Play-Fi transforms it into a state-of-the-art wireless music player you can control by your phone, tablet, or PC. When connected to your home network via Wi-Fi®, you can play tunes from streaming services, Internet radio, or your own music collection. The Motion Vision X even works together with other Play-Fi speakers (like the MartinLogan Crescendo X) for an easy-to-use whole-house system.
MartinLogan's extra-efficient tweeters produce precise highs
MartinLogan's innovative Folded Motion tweeters result in quicker response and lower distortion.
Since MartinLogan envisioned this sound bar as both a premium home theater and music system, they've packed it with some stellar high-performance drivers. For example, three of their innovative Folded Motion™ tweeters ensure that high frequencies sound immediate and effortless. They use a thin-film technology that's inherently different from more common dome or cone tweeters. Pleated diaphragms work similarly to an accordion by "squeezing" air to create sound, and the tweeter's larger surface area provides wide, yet controlled sound dispersion for a realistic, accurate soundstage.
Serious midrange and bass — with the option of more
Four long-throw woofers round out the system, delivering clear mids and rich bass. The Motion Vision X delivers plenty of low-frequency rumble without a subwoofer, but MartinLogan agrees with our philosophy — there will be situations that call for more bass. That's why they included a subwoofer output to connect a separate powered sub (not included). Or, you can use the sound bar's built-in wireless audio technology to add a matching wireless MartinLogan subwoofer.
Control music in every room with DTS Play-Fi
Download the free DTS Play-Fi app and you'll get quick-and-easy instructions for getting started. The app is available for Android™, iOS®, and Kindle Fire, along with Windows PC operating systems. It gives you intuitive control over your music selection, playback, and volume.
Play music stored on your computers, music servers, and mobile devices — including high-quality lossless files. You also have access to music services like Spotify®, Pandora®, and SiriusXM, along with over 37,000 Internet radio stations. You can send the same song to other DTS Play-Fi speakers or play a different song in every room. Best of all, the MartinLogan Motion Vision X can work with other Play-Fi devices from other manufacturers, for system building flexibility.
- powered 3-channel home theater sound with wireless music playback
- DTS Play-Fi software allows for easy app control and streaming music to multiple Play-Fi speakers in different rooms
- seven dedicated amplifiers (one per driver) delivering 100 watts RMS total system power
- three 1" x 1.4" high-resolution Folded Motion tweeters for precise, realistic high-frequency detail
- four 4" long-throw cone woofers for surprising bass punch, even without a subwoofer
- dual rear-firing bass ports to reinforce low frequencies
- Dolby® Digital and DTS® surround decoding, with digital signal processing for simulated 5.1 surround sound
- built-in wireless transmitter for adding a compatible MartinLogan wireless subwoofer (sold separately)
- includes wall-mounting bracket for easy mounting underneath wall-mounted TVs
DTS Play-Fi Software:
- allows speaker to communicate with other Play-Fi components and speakers
- built-in dual-band Wi-Fi allows connection to your wireless home network and wireless communication with other Play-Fi devices (recommended maximum of 16 devices on a network)
- free Play-Fi app for Apple, Android, Kindle, and Windows PC offers easy music selection and playback
- plays music stored on device
- supports Spotify Connect, Pandora, SiriusXM, TIDAL, and thousands of free Internet radio stations (subscription required for some services)
- DLNA support for streaming music from compatible networked computers and NAS drives
- multi-zone synchronous playback (same music plays in multiple zones simultaneously) or multi-stream playback (music individually selected for each player)
- easy wireless setup using your smartphone, tablet, or PC
- plays MP3, M4A, FLAC, and WAV files; sampling rates up to 24-bit/192kHz
- not compatible with protected files with digital rights management (DRM)
- 1 optical digital audio input
- 1 coaxial digital audio input
- 1 analog RCA stereo audio input
- mono RCA subwoofer output for adding a powered subwoofer (not included)
- optical digital and analog RCA cables included
- top-mounted push button controls
- black anodized aluminum remote
- frequency response: 43-23,000 Hz (±3dB)
- 39-15/16"W x 5-1/16"H x 5-15/16"D
- weight: 20.5 lbs.
- warranty: 2 years (with product registration)
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- Active soundbar speaker
- 6.5' AC power cord
- Remote control
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- 59" Optical digital cable
- Wall-mount bracket
- User's Manual (En/Fr)
- Quick Start Guide
- DTS Play-Fi Quick Start Guide
- Installation template
- "Extend You Warranty Coverage" Card
- "Addendum" sheet
- Wall-mount template
Leaps and bounds ahead of the built in TV audio. I can finally hear dialogue without cranking up the volume.
Knoxville, knoxville, TN
MartinLogan Motion® Vision X Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|Pieces in System||1|
|Tweeter||1"x1.4" Folded Motion (4)|
|Woofer||4" Cones (4)|
|Surround Sound Decoding||5.1-channel|
|4K Video Compatible||No|
|HDR Video Compatible||No|
|Audio Return Channel||No|
|Remote IR Passthrough||No|
|Works with TV Remote (IR)||No|
|Control by App||Apple iOS, Android|
|Mounting Bracket Included||Yes|
|Surface Mount Stand Included||No|
|Speaker Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Speaker Labor Warranty||2 Years|
|Amplifier Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Amplifier Labor Warranty||2 Years|
|System Frequency Response||43-20k Hz|
|Sound Bar RMS Power||100|
|Subwoofer RMS Power||N/A|
|Inputs and Outputs|
|Mini Stereo Audio Inputs||1|
|RCA Stereo Audio Inputs||None|
|Optical Digital Audio Inputs||1|
|Coaxial Digital Audio Inputs||1|
|Sound Bar (inches)||5-1/16H x 39-15/16W x 5-15/16D|
|Sound Bar Weight||20.5 lbs|
|Subwoofer (inches)||No Subwoofer|
Active Soundbar Speaker: The MartinLogan Motion Vision X active soundbar speaker delivers a virtual 5-channel surround sound experience from a sleek all-in-one system that's stylish yet unobtrusive, simple to install, and easy to operate. The Motion Vision X soundbar speaker makes a great addition to your table-top or wall-mounted flat-panel television, and is perfect for movie or music soundtracks. It offers both analog and digital inputs for connection of all your home audio/video gear. It even includes DTS Play-Fi capability for network music streaming and multiroom audio. The Motion Vision X comes with an IR remote control and offers integrated top-panel controls; it also supports the DTS Play-Fi app for Apple iOS & Android.
7 Drivers/Amplifiers: Three advanced-resolution 1" x 1.4" Folded Motion tweeters, four 4" high-performance woofers, and seven dedicated amplifiers deliver 100 watts of total system power. The Motion Vision X soundbar speaker delivers front left/right and center channels via the dedicated Folded Motion tweeters and high-performance woofers, and simulates rear left/right effects channels to virtually create a fully immersive, five-channel surround sound experience throughout the listening environment.
- Folded Motion Tweeter: MartinLogan's Folded Motion tweeters help give the soundbar speaker its natural, realistic high frequency sound. Lightning fast transient response, combined with a large surface area (8x that of a typical 1" dome tweeter) creates clear, dynamic, and precise sound. The Folded Motion tweeters work by moving air (which creates sound) perpendicular to the folded ridges of the diaphragm, similar to how an accordion works. This extremely low mass diaphragm "squeezes" air and requires almost 90% less excursion than the typical 1" dome tweeter, which drastically minimizes distortion while providing a lightning fast response time. The increased surface area also provides a wide, yet controlled sound dispersion (80°x80°) to create a realistic and carefully etched sound stage.
- High Performance Woofers: The Motion Vision X active soundbar speaker features four 4" fiber cone woofers with extended throw drive assemblies housed in a non-resonant asymmetrical chamber for crisp, detailed midrange and richer, deeper midbass performance.
DSP Technology: The Motion Vision X was engineered with a commanding bass performance paired with precisely etched mid- and high-frequencies, creating a vivid, three-dimensional soundstage. Advanced digital signal processing (DSP) technology and industry leading surround sound decoding allow MartinLogan to replace five separate home theater speakers with a one piece solution that reproduces multichannel recordings with accuracy, resolution, and detail. The Motion Vision X reproduces front left, right, an center channels via the system's dedicated tweeters and woofers. Surround channels are simulated using the Motion Vision X's sophisticated digital signal processing that directs sound from the system's tweeters and woofers throughout the room.
Dual Rear Firing Ports: Dual rear-firing bass ports reinforce the bass extension for astonishingly deep bass for a compact soundbar speaker.
Analog + Digital Inputs: The MartinLogan Motion Vision X active soundbar speaker is fitted with both analog (3.5mm) and digital (optical/coaxial) inputs. The soundbar speaker features one stereo minijack (3.5mm) input to connect a single analog audio source. The speaker also provides one optical digital input and one coaxial digital input to connect your Blu-ray player, Satellite/Cable receiver, and/or TV. The system supports both Dolby Digital/DTS (5.1ch) and PCM (2ch) audio signals through its digital inputs. Make sure to turn your television's speakers off. If your TV does not allow you to turn off the speakers, make sure the TV's speaker volume is set to "0".
Note: Televisions are not capable of passing multichannel encoded audio signals input from another source and will downmix these signals to a 2-channel stereo mix before sending them to the television's digital output. You will want to run cables directly from the source to the soundbar while simultaneously running HDMI from each source to the TV for the video signal. This has the advantage of allowing the soundbar to receive multichannel encoded material.
Acoustic Modes: You can easily switch between three discrete acoustic modes; "Night" mode (to dial down the bass), "Bass +" mode (for those moments requiring a little extra bass), and a "Normal" mode (that restores normal listening levels). You can also manually configure the system's bass output by +/-10 dB in increments of 2dB.
Optional Powered Subwoofer: The Motion Vision X's built-in SWT-2 transmitter allows the addition of a compatible wireless MartinLogan powered subwoofer (sold separately). The active soundbar speaker also provides a mono-subwoofer output for connectivity to a non-wireless powered subwoofer (sold separately).
Simple Controls: The MartinLogan Motion Vision X active soundbar speaker features top-mounted controls and comes with an IR remote control. You can also program the soundbar to respond to your televisions IR remote control. In addition, there is a 3.5mm IR input which allows you to connect an IR repeater system (sold separately) to the soundbar speaker.
Note: Many newer TVs are coming with RF remotes and don't offer IR functionality. In this case, you would not be able to program the soundbar and TV remote to work together.
Dimmable LED Display: The dimmable LED display is hidden behind the front grille cloth and can be set to automatically vanish during operation.
Mounting Options: The soundbar speaker should be centered directly above or below your flat-panel TV. You can place the Motion Vision X on a table-top, stand or shelf. You can also use the included bracket to wall-mount the speaker (mounting screws not supplied). You can then adjust the soundbar's equalization and voicing for optimal performance in on-wall or shelf top installations.
AC Power: Because the Motion Vision X is an active speaker and has built-in amplifiers, it requires AC power. Simply plug the included AC power cord into the rear-panel of the soundbar speaker and an AC wall outlet or surge protector.
Note: The active soundbar speaker will automatically turn off after no audio signal is detected for approximately 30 minutes. When the soundbar detects an audio signal, it will immediately turn itself on.
DTS Play-Fi Wireless Technology: Martin Logan's Motion Vision X soundbar speaker system employ DTS Play-Fi wireless technology for wireless sound that is reliable and high-quality. DTS Play-Fi combines DTS audio and WiFi wireless technology to wirelessly stream high-definition "lossless" audio with no impact on sound quality. DTS Play-Fi will stream pure, bit-for-bit, lossless audio, for uncompromised quality sound; up to 16-bit/48kHz. DTS Play-Fi has a range of up to 100' from your wireless router.
Note: All DTS Play-Fi enabled products work seamlessly together, so there's no hassle adding more speakers, or choosing more than one audio brand like Martin Logan, Definitive Technology, Polk Audio, Phorus, Wren, etc..) in your home.
Wired or Wireless Network Connection: The Martin Logan Motion Vision X soundbar speaker system uses your home's network for whole-house audio entertainment. The Motion Vision X connects to your home's wireless network via WiFi (802.11 b/g/n; 2.4/5GHz); a dual-band "N" or better router is recommended for the most reliable wireless network connection. For a wired connection, the soundbar speaker features an Ethernet RJ-45 jack to connect the soundbar speaker to your home's network.
Simple Setup: There are two methods for connecting the DTS Play-Fi soundbar speaker system to your home network. You can perform WiFi setup via the free DTS Play-Fi on your Apple iOS/Android mobile device or Windows PC (this setup allows you to connect multiple Play-Fi device at once to your network). You can also use the WPS button on the soundbar speaker if your wireless router supports WPS (this setup only allows you to connect one Play-Fi device at a time to your network).
DTS Play-Fi App: Download the free DTS Play-Fi app onto your Apple iOS (7.0+) device, Android (2.2+) smartphone/tablet, or Windows (7/8) PC for easy and convenient management of your music from your mobile device or computer. From the app you can initially set up the Motion Vision X soundbar speaker system, as well as add, link, and control all your DTS Play-Fi speakers. You'll be able stream music directly from the system's built-in music online services, or music on your mobile device or PC to multiple DTS Play-Fi enabled speakers through out your home. The app lets you browse your music by artist, album, genre, or title; and provides album art. You can choose to play the same music in each zone or a different song in each room.
Variety Of Sources: The Motion Vision X soundbar speaker with DTS Play-Fi supports a variety of music sources.
- Mobile Device (Apple iOS + Android): You are able to wirelessly stream stored music and music apps on your Apple iOS (7.0+) or Android (2.2+) device to the soundbar speaker system through the free DTS Play-Fi
- Online Music Services: From the DTS Play-Fi app on your mobile device or computer, you can share and listen to Pandora, Spotify Connect, SiriusXM, TIDAL, Amazon Music, Songza, Rhapsody, and Internet Radio. While the DTS Play-Fi app is free, not all the online music services are (subscription & purchasing fees may apply).
- Computer Audio: The Motion Vision X soundbar is DLNA compliant for playback of various music files stored on your Windows PC (7/8) or DLNA-certified NAS drives connected to your home network. MAC OSX computers and laptops require third party software to be visible on the network (Twonky, Plex, Servio etc.) as they do not support DLNA. Use the DTS Play-Fi app on your mobile device or computer to access these music files.
Supported Music Files: The Motion Vision X soundbar speaker & DTS Play-Fi support music formats such as MP3, AAC, FLAC, and WAV. The system will recognize music files up to 24-bit/192kHz and wirelessly stream these files at up to 16-bit/48kHz (CD quality sound). Some down-sampling may occur to ensure virtually lossless distribution throughout a home network.
Maximum Number of Rooms/Zones Supported: You can play the same source in each zone or a different song in each room. Eight separate wireless source devices (smartphones, tablets, etc.), each with its own source, are supported simultaneously and any wireless source device can stream to eight DTS Play-Fi playback devices. Due to the bandwidth limitations of most wireless networks, no more than 16 wireless DTS Play-Fi products on a single WiFi network at one given time is recommended.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Why did you buy this?
Recommended by Otis, awesome Crutchfield advisor, and sound is at least as important as the TV. If you have ever heard a system with GREAT sound, you know why! [ Deborah Oct 07, 2017 ]
The Cadence x 2 offered HDMI/ARC p]lus multiple HDMI but was so unstable that I decided to go with optical and that opened up other choices. Hope this works [ H Aug 15, 2017 ]
MartinLogan recommended by a friend. Impressed by user reviews. [ David Jan 21, 2016 ]
1 question already asked
I have a receiver YSP-3050 which pass through the HDCP2.2/HDMI 2.0a I need a none power sound bar that pass through the 4K ultra HD video in the digital handshake compliance to my 4K Ultra HD TV [ Don Dec 27, 2015 ]
If you're looking for a non-powered soundbar then you would need an external receiver that supports HDCP 2.2 to connect external 4K video sources and power the soundbar. You can find a full listing of those receivers on our website here: http://www.crutchfield.com/g_10420/Home-Theater-Receivers.html?tp=179#&nvpair=FFHDCP_2.2|Yes [ Larry Dec 26, 2015 ] Staff
Frequently Compared With
MartinLogan Motion® Vision X
Powered sound bar with DTS Play-Fi®
TV sound bar/wireless music system
Bose® SoundTouch® 300 soundbar
Yamaha YSP-5600 Digital Sound Projector
Powered sound bar with 4K video passthrough, Dolby Atmos®, and MusicCast