Yamaha DXS15 mkII
15" powered subwoofer — 1020 watts peak
Item # 845DXS15M2 | MFR # DXS15MKII
$899.99 each Earn up to 900 Rewards points
Offers & Financing
Our take on the Yamaha DXS15 mkII by Crutchfield's Bob Bihlmayer
Ready to rumble
You used to have to tote around huge, heavy subwoofer enclosures to give your live music big bass. Yamaha has changed all that. The DXS15 mkII powered sub is smaller and lighter than the original DXS15, and gives you powerful bass in a package that'll fit in your trunk or back seat.
Powerful and versatile
Yamaha's engineers placed a high-efficiency 800-watt Class D amp and a 15" high-output woofer in a sturdy enclosure that's optimized for impressive output. Yamaha's sophisticated low-frequency processing means this sub can produce sound pressure levels up to 135 dB, impressively loud bass for an enclosure of this size. D-XSUB Processing offers three different bass modes, so you can adapt the sub to live bands, DJs, and other applications. You can set the sub's crossover point at 80, 100, or 120 Hz so it'll match up with just about any powered speaker.
This sub matches up perfectly with Yamaha's DSR and DXR Series powered speakers, and the sub's built-in pole sockets make it easy to mount a speaker directly over the sub. The plywood enclosure enclosure features a weather-resistant coating that stands up to the stresses of touring. This compact, powered sub will add depth and richness to any show, whether it's a small club, a medium-sized hall, or even outdoors.
- PA subwoofer
- 15" woofer with 2.5" voice coil in an efficient bandpass enclosure
- socket accepts standard 1-3/8" and threaded M20 speaker stands
- built-in amp: 800 watts (1020 peak)
- inputs: stereo XLR
- outputs: stereo XLR
- selectable crossover points (80, 100, 120)
- power consumption: 100 watts
- maximum SPL: 135 dB
- frequency range: 40-150 Hz
- dimensions: 18-15/16" W x 24" H x 24-3/16" D
- weight: 79-1/2 lbs.
- warranty: 7 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- 8' Power cord (IEC 3-pin)
- Owner's manual (Eng / Span / Fren)
- Specification sheet
James, Calhoun, GA
Yamaha DXS15 mkII Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|Drivers per speaker||1|
|Woofer Size (inches)||15|
|Tweeter Size (inches)||N/A|
|System Frequency response||40-150|
|RMS Power rating||800|
|Program Power rating||---|
|Peak Power rating||1020|
|Mic Inputs||(2) XLR|
|Line Inputs||(2) XLR|
Overview: The Yamaha DXS15mkII is a 15" subwoofer designed for bands, DJs, and performers for use in clubs and small to medium venues. It's compact band-pass enclosure and state-of-the-art DSP can produce frequencies as low as 40 Hz at a maximum SPL of 135 dB, while keeping the sound focused and distortion free.
Enclosure: The DXS15mkII enclosure is made from heavy-duty plywood in a band-pass configuration to help reduce unwanted vibrations and noise. It's design even surpasses traditional bass-reflex enclosures for reducing distortion and achieving higher SPLs. The enclosure's exterior is protected by a durable Polyurea coating that's extremely resistant to damage and weather conditions. The mkII version sheds almost 4.5 lbs over the previous generation for added portability. The top of the sub is equipped with 2 types of pole sockets to mount a full-range speaker on, a 35 mm straight socket and an M20 threaded socket. The DXS15mkII also features a built-in Class-D amplifier that is capable of producing up to 1020 watts of power with a maximum SPL of 135 dB for exceptional clarity and accuracy.
DSP: The Yamaha subwoofer includes multiple DSP features to help produce the best sound possible. Rear panel DSP controls include:
- Cardioid Mode: Because low frequencies are more omnidirectional, controlling the output directivity can be a challenge. When two or more DXS subwoofers are used in conjunction, selecting Cardioid mode decreases the stage-side sound pressure while increasing the low output directed towards the audience. A rear-panel button allows this mode to activated.
- D-XSUB: This subwoofer processing offers 3 settings for changing
the frequency response:
- Normal: This mode gives a balanced, even low-frequency response.
- Boost: Provides a tighter more focused bass signal.
- XTENDED LF: This mode drops the low-end frequencies down even further for thunderous bottom end, delivering a low-frequency extension unheard of from smaller cabinets.
- X-Over: A 3-position crossover switch is provided with options for 80 Hz, 100 Hz, and 120 Hz. This determines both the cutoff frequency for the sub as well as the 2 speaker outputs on the rear panel when the Through/HPF Post switch is in the HPF Post position. When using full-range speakers on the subwoofer's outputs, the crossover can be used to filter the bass to them or set to Through if the speakers have their own high-pass filter.
Rear Panel: Along with the aforementioned DSP controls, the subwoofer's rear panel also includes the following controls and I/O jacks:
- Inputs: The Input section consists of two left/right balanced XLR inputs that can accept a line-level signal. Both inputs are summed together before being outputted by the sub.
- Outputs: Two left/right balanced XLR output jacks are provided for connecting full-range speakers or for daisy-chaining multiple DXS units together. These jacks output the same signal as the corresponding Input jack and not a summed signal. The type of signal outputted by these is determined by the Through/HPF Post switch.
- Through/HPF Post: This switch determines if the signal sent to the Outputs is crossed over, with the crossover point determined by the X-Over switch, or a full-range signal.
- Level Control: This determines the overall output level from the sub as well as any speakers hooked to the Output jacks. Level range is from Infinity to +10 with 0 being the midpoint. A corresponding Peak LED will light red when the signal reaches 3 dB below the clip point. If the Peak indicator lights frequently, the Level should be turned down or the input signal lowered from the source.
- Polarity: This switch reverses the polarity of the subwoofer if needed. A corresponding Invert LED lights if the switch is pushed in.
- Power: The main power switch and corresponding Power LED are located on the rear panel.
- Front LED Disable: This disables the front panel Power indicator.
- Limit Indicator: The DXS15mkII includes a built-in Limiter which protects the speaker and the amplifier by attenuating the signal before going through the internal amplifier if needed. If the indicator is lighting frequently, the Level control or the input signal will need to be lowered.
- Protection Indicator: This LED will light if the system senses a problem with either overheating or over current. This will also light for about 2 seconds immediately after turning the power on to prevent noise from being outputted.
- Frequency Range (-10 dB): 40 Hz - 150 Hz
- Maximum SPL: 135 dB
- LF Transducer:
- Diameter: 15" Cone
- Voice Coil: 2.5"
- Magnet: Ferrite
- Amplifier Type: Class-D
- Power Rating:
- Dynamic: 1020 Watts
- Continuous: 800 Watts
- Cooling: Natural convection
- AD/DA: 24 bit / 48 kHz Sampling
- LPF: 80 Hz, 100 Hz, 120 Hz w/ 24 dB/Octave slope
- DSP: D-XSUB, BOOST, XTD LF, NORMAL
- Speaker: Clip Limiting, Integral Power Protection, DC-fault, Power switch ON/OFF
- Amplifier: Thermal, Output Through Current
- Power: Thermal, Over Voltage
- Input: (2) balanced XLR
- Output: (2) balanced XLR
- Input Impedance: 20 kΩ
- Input Sensitivity (Level @ maximum): 0 dBu
- Input Sensitivity (Level @ center): +10 dBu
- Maximum Input Level: +24 dBu
- Idle Power Consumption: 35 W
- 1/8 Power Consumption: 100 W
- Power Requirement: 100 V - 240 V, 50/60 Hz
- Dimensions: Width - 18.875", Height - 24.0", Depth - 24.125"
- Weight: 79.4 lbs.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.