MartinLogan Motion® 50XT
Center channel speaker (Gloss Black Cherrywood)
MartinLogan Motion® 50XT - MartinLogan's best Folded Motion XT tweeter and low-distortion aluminum cone woofers deliver crisp, detailed dialogue and special effects
California customers: click here for your Proposition 65 warning.Please
Our take on the MartinLogan Motion® 50XT by Crutchfield's Dave Bar
Crisp and clear center channel sound
Every word. Every nuance. Every special effect. That's what the Motion 50XT brings in spades to your home theater experience. MartinLogan's top-of-the-line Motion series center channel speaker boasts their best Folded Motion™ XT tweeter, sophisticated crossovers, and custom bi-wire binding posts to create exceptionally immersive center channel sound that draws you right into the on-screen action. It's a perfect center channel partner to the Motion 60XT floor-standing speakers or Motion 35XT bookshelves.
Folded Motion XT tweeter for superior detail
MartinLogan's most advanced Folded Motion XT tweeter produces clear, detailed highs.
MartinLogan's innovative Folded Motion XT tweeter uses a pleated diaphragm that works similarly to an accordion by "squeezing" air to create sound. Because it requires almost 90% less excursion than the typical 1" dome tweeter, response time is drastically reduced along with distortion. The diaphragm's increased surface area also provides wide, yet controlled sound dispersion to create a realistic and highly accurate soundstage. Movie and TV dialogue sound detailed, but smooth and effortless, without a trace of harshness. And the XT tweeter boasts a 40% larger radiating surface area than the standard Folded Motion tweeter found in other MartinLogan designs, for even greater bandwidth and efficiency.
Bass that keeps pace
The Motion 50XT uses dual 6-1/2" aluminum cone woofers to supply fast, clean midrange and powerful low frequencies that blend in seamlessly with the Folded Motion tweeter. A low-turbulence rear-firing port extends bass performance, but keeps it tight and tuneful.
Beautiful cabinet with an angled design
With its flawless Piano Black or Black Cherrywood high-gloss finish, gently radiused corners, and handsome perforated magnetic steel grille, the 50XT is one beautiful center channel speaker. Its angled enclosure is also a nice touch for versatility. No matter where you place it, you can direct the sound toward your ears. Place it beneath your TV firing up toward your listening position, or mount it high and flip the cabinet upside down to aim sound out into the room.
- 1.25" x 2.4" Folded Motion XT tweeter for high output levels with low distortion
- two 6-1/2" aluminum-cone woofers with cast polymer baskets
- bass-reflex (ported) enclosure
- wedge-shaped cabinet allows high frequencies to be directed up or down for versatile placement options
- frequency response: 50-25,000 Hz (±3dB)
- sensitivity: 94 dB
- impedance: 4 ohms
- recommended amplifier power: 20-300 watts
- 5-way binding post speaker terminals (bi-wire/bi-amp capable)
- perforated steel grille attaches magnetically to cabinet
- 22-7/8"W x 7-5/8"H x 12-13/16"D
- weight: 30.5 lbs.
- warranty: 5 years (with product registration)
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- Center-channel loudspeaker
- Magnetic grille
- 4 Rubber bumpers
- User's Manual (En/Fr)
- Product Registration Card
Matched to Motion 40 towers for front stage knowing it can can handle whatever is thrown at it.
Julius, Davenport, IA
MartinLogan Motion® 50XT Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|Tweeter||Folded Motion XT|
|Midrange size (inches)||N/A|
|Woofer size (inches)||6-1/2|
|Frequency Response||50-25k Hz|
|Parts Warranty||5 Yrs w/Registration|
|Labor Warranty||5 Yrs w/Registration|
2.5-Way Center-Channel Loudspeaker: The MartinLogan Motion 50XT center-channel loudspeaker employs a 2.5-way speaker design and features MartinLogan's advanced resolution Folded Motion XT tweeter and dual 6.5" aluminum cone midbass woofers. Combining these three drivers together creates a dynamic full-range sound with an expansive soundstage.
- Folded Motion Tweeter: MartinLogan's Folded Motion XT tweeter helps give the Motion 50XT center-channel loudspeaker its natural, realistic high frequency sound. Lightning fast transient response, combined with a large surface area (8x that of a typical 1" dome tweeter) creates clear, dynamic, and precise sound. The 1.25" x 2.4" Folded Motion XT tweeter works by moving air (which creates sound) perpendicular to the folded ridges of the diaphragm, similar to how an accordion works. This extremely low mass diaphragm "squeezes" air and requires almost 90% less excursion than the typical 1" dome tweeter, which drastically minimizes distortion while providing a lightning fast response time. The increased surface area also provides a wide, yet controlled sound dispersion (80°x30°) to create a realistic and carefully etched sound stage.
- Dual Aluminum Cone Woofers w/ Bass Port: The MartinLogan Motion 50XT center-channel loudspeaker features two high-excursion 6.5" aluminum cone woofers with a cast basket housed in a non-resonant asymmetrical chamber with a rear-firing bass port. The aluminum cone woofers use a rigid structured dust cap to reduce cone break-up and distortion. Pairing dual 6.5" woofers with a rear-firing bass port provides higher output and audibly richer, deeper bass performance.
Precision Crossover: To seamlessly blend the audio output from the high frequency driver (tweeter) and the two midbass drivers (woofer), the Motion 50XT loudspeaker features a precision crossover (900Hz/2.2kHz) utilizing custom air core coil and low DCR steel laminate inductors, polyester film capacitors in series, and low DF electrolytic capacitors in parallel.
High-Gloss MDF Cabinet: Complementing the Motion 50XT loudspeaker's sonic accuracy is its solidly constructed 3/4" thick MDF cabinet. The cabinet is finished in either high-gloss piano black or black cherrywood, and includes MartinLogan's signature perforated grille. The Motion 50XT speaker's elegant and timeless look will blend into almost any decor. The speaker cabinet also features rounded edges and a gently tapered top.
Bi-Wiring/Bi-Amping: Using the dual posts, you can bi-wire or bi-amp the speaker. Bi-wiring or bi-amping the speaker provides improved bass & treble performance. If you decide to bi-wire or bi-amp, you must remove the jumpers between the terminal posts (failure to do this could result in damage to your amplifier and loudspeakers).
- Bi-Wiring: Bi-wiring can provide noticeable improvements in the overall transparency of your loudspeakers. Run separate speaker wires to the low & high frequency drivers from a single amplifier (the upper set of binding posts are for the high frequency drivers; the lower set of binding posts are for the low frequency drivers).
- Bi-Amping: Bi-amping allows you to use separate amplifiers for the high & low frequency sections of your loudspeaker for greater dynamic range & lower distortion. We recommend that your separate amplifiers have identical gain to preserve the speaker's voicing balance.
Note: MartinLogan's proprietary tool-less binding posts simplify cable connection and management. The binding posts will accept bare wire (16- to 10-gauge), pin-connectors, spade-connectors, and banana plugs (single only).
Placement: The MartinLogan Motion 50XT should be centered below or above your television on flat-surface; such as a table-top, stand, cabinet, or shelf. The center channel speaker comes with four rubber self-adhesive feet to help secure it in place, prevent slippage, and reduce vibration.
Break-in Period: Allow approximately 72 hours of break-in at 90 dB (moderate listening levels) before any critical listening.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Why did you buy this?
liked the color, and my transgender, transracial preacher said he wanted them. [ john Aug 05, 2018 ]
Fits my TV Cabinet and matches my primary speakers. [ Alexander Sep 26, 2016 ]
To complement my Martin Logan Motion 40s. [ Jorge Aug 04, 2018 ]
PARTNERS PERFECTLY WITH THE MOTION 60XT TOWERS [ GARY Apr 25, 2018 ]
Should pair up good with my Motion 40 speakers [ NICK Apr 22, 2018 ]
recommended by a friend [ niles Nov 12, 2017 ]
seems compact and it is very highly rated [ Richard Sep 27, 2017 ]
Great quality. [ Glen Mar 26, 2017 ]
I have owned an entire array of MartinLogan speakers for the last 12 years and have been extremely pleased with their performance, especially of classical music. So, after long & faithful service when my center speaker started "giving out," selecting a MartinLogan product was the obvious choice. After reviewing their line of center channel speakers, I felt the 50XT best suited my price range & requirements. My Live Chat with Jenny confirmed my decision Jenny's Bio: http://www.crutchfield.com/Support/Bio.aspx?bio=112 [ Jal Jun 26, 2016 ]
1 question already asked
I forwarded your question to an Advisor and they responded with the following: The Motion 50XT will work well with your Martin Logan speakers and deliver an exceptionally clear and detailed sound. If you would like to discuss further you can contact an Advisor directly by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat. [ Krissy Apr 22, 2015 ] Staff