Sony a6500 (no lens included)
24.2-megapixel APS-C sensor mirrorless camera with Wi-Fi®
Item # 158E6500K | MFR # ILCE6500/B
Offers & Financing
Our take on the Sony a6500 (no lens included) by Crutchfield's Deia Z.
Select your focus point with a quick tap on the a6500's touchscreen.
The power of touch
Small but tough, Sony's dust- and moisture-resistant a6500 mirrorless camera can go anywhere you go. Its tilting touchscreen allows easy composition and intuitive shooting. Touch anywhere on the screen to focus, even when you're looking through the viewfinder. You can shift focus smoothly by swiping your finger across the touchscreen.
A steady shooter
A built-in five-axis image stabilization system helps you take tack-sharp photos and shake-free videos. This powerful system compensates for camera shake from five directions, giving you freedom to shoot handheld, zoom in on distant subjects, and capture sharp images in low light.
Keep up with moving subjects
The a6500 is capable of producing consistently clear, sharp action shots. Its Fast Hybrid autofocus system lets the camera achieve focus in as little as .05 seconds. High-density Tracking technology activates autofocus points to track moving subjects throughout the entire frame for pinpoint accuracy in still images and movies.
Advanced features for videographers
The a6500 records video in Full HD and 4K. In Super 35mm format, data is processed from every pixel for sharp, finely detailed footage. You can connect professional microphone kits for balanced audio to match the video quality. S-Gamut and S-Log shooting let you adjust color, gradation, and dynamic range for richly detailed movies, even in low light. A clean HDMI output sends uncompressed movie data to an external recorder or monitor. You can keep recording internally to the camera even when using this function.
Add functionality with your phone
You can instantly transfer photos and videos shot on the a6500 to your phone or tablet for easy uploading and sharing. NFC touch pairing is available for compatible Android™ devices, and new QR code compatibility lets you quickly pair devices without NFC. Sony's PlayMemories Camera Apps include free and paid apps that complement your photographic style and interests.
The Smart Remote Control app lets you use your mobile device to control shooting. And there are specialized apps for things like light painting, time-lapse, stop motion, and multiple exposure, plus plenty of editing effects to fine-tune your photos and add your own personal touches.
- 24.2-megapixel Exmor® APS-C sensor for highly detailed images
- uses Sony E-mount lenses
- Wi-Fi connectivity and NFC touch pairing with compatible smart devices
- five-axis in-body image stabilization for blur-free photos and video
- tough, dust- and moisture-resistant magnesium alloy body
- robust lens mount withstands rugged use even with large, heavy telephoto lenses
- ultra-fast autofocus with BIONZ X™ processing engine
- new LSI processor for high-speed operation and improved performance at high ISO settings
- ISO sensitivity range from ISO 100-25600, expandable to ISO 51200, for superior low-light imaging
- 3" high-resolution (921k-dot) tilting LCD touchscreen
- 2.36 million-dot Organic LED (OLED) super high-resolution electronic viewfinder for easy eye-level composition
- Bright Monitoring boosts image brightness by changing shutter speed
- 4K Ultra HD video recording with 100 Mbps maximum bit rate
- full HD 1080/120p video
- supports line input from professional audio devices with XLR outputs, with use of XLR adapter kit (sold separately)
- Gamma Display Assist lets you view video with natural contrast while recording in S-Log gamma setting
- enhanced Zebra function warns you to avoid blown-out highlights when shooting video
- 425 phase-detecting AF points for more accurate focus throughout the frame
- enhanced Fast Hybrid AF system for precise movie AF; focuses in 0.05 seconds
- adjustable AF Drive Speed and AF Tracking Sensitivity let you manipulate focus for creative expression
- AF in Focus Magnifier lets you use AF even while enlarging a selected image on the viewfinder or LCD screen, for finer adjustment of focus
- Lock-on AF maintains focus on a moving subject automatically
- Expanded Flexible Spot function automatically detects surrounding AF points to restore focus instantly on moving subjects
- Eye AF (available in AF-C mode) automatically focuses on and tracks focus on a subjects eye as the face moves
- High-density Tracking AF Technology for reliable focus accuracy and tracking stability
- Silent Shooting mode uses an electronic shutter that cuts out shake caused by mechanical shutter movement
- built-in flash
- compatible with downloadable PlayMemories™ camera apps that help shoot, share and save photos using Wi-Fi
- high-speed live-view continuous shooting up to 11 frames per second
- uncompressed, clean HDMI output (cable not included) supports 4K and full HD
- power supply via USB connection to PC or mobile battery conserves camera battery
- rechargeable NP-FW50 battery included
- make external connections to computers and monitors with included micro USB cable
- 5-3/16"W x 2-11/16"H x 2-1/4"D
- weight: 16 oz. (with battery)
- warranty: 1 year parts and labor
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- Digital camera body
- Body cap (installed)
- Rubber eyepiece cup
- NP-FW50 Lithium-Ion battery (7.2V 1020mAh 7.3Wh)
- 23" USB cable (Type A USB on one end and Micro-B USB on other end)
- AC-UUD12 AC adapter (DC output: 5V 1.5A)
- Neck strap
- Help Guide (Web Manual) (English)
- Help Guide (Web Manual) (Spanish)
- Limited Warranty (US and Canada)
- Adding Location Information to Images
- Wi-Fi Connection/One-touch (NFC) Guide (Eng/Span)
- Capture One Express (for Sony) sheet
- Lenses & Accessories brochure
- Online registration sheet
absolutely amazing camera. My first professional camera and couldn't be happier. Takes amazing images and very simple to use.
NICHOLAS ST., Blue Springs, MO
Sony a6500 (no lens included) Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|LCD Screen Size||3"|
|Lens 35mm Equivalent||None included|
|Image Stabilization||Sensor Shift|
|Highest Resolution||6000 x 4000|
|Video Resolution||3840 x 2160|
|Weight With Battery (ounces)||16|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
Play And Print Functions
Overview: The Sony α6500 (ILCE-6500) alpha series "body only" camera kit comes with a rechargeable battery, adjustable neck strap, and USB cable. The α6500 has built-in Wi-Fi, an APS-C-sized image sensor, and is compatible with Sony E-mount lenses. With the optional LA-EA4 Mount Adapter, the camera can also use Sony A-mount lenses, and select Minolta/Konica lenses.
3" Tiltable LCD Screen: The α6500 uses a 3" LCD screen with 921,600 dots. You can tilt the LCD up approximately 90° for low angle shots or approximately 45° for high angle photography. The brightness of the LCD monitor can be adjusted in 5 steps from -2 to +2.
0.39" OLED Electronic Viewfinder: The 0.39" high-contrast, high-resolution OLED Tru-finder has 2,359,296 dots, and provides approximately 100% field of view. You can adjust the brightness in 5 steps. The built-in diopter lets you adjust the viewfinder image to your individual eyesight. You can set the camera to switch between the LCD screen and viewfinder automatically when you look into the EVF, or choose one or the other in the camera's menu.
Display Options: You can choose how much information appears in the viewfinder and LCD monitor. There are five options each for the LCD screen and Viewfinder: Graphic Display, Display All Info, No Display Info, Level, and Histogram.
Live View: The α6500's Live View lets you use the LCD screen and Electronic Viewfinder to frame your photos as you shoot. When the Live View display is set to "Setting Effect On", the LCD or viewfinder will provide an accurate preview of your photo, including the white balance, exposure compensation, creative style or picture effect. With the "Setting Effect Off", you can check the image composition without the effects of the exposure settings.
Image Sensor: The α6500 features an APS-C-sized Exmor CMOS image sensor (23.5 x 15.6mm). It has approximately 25.0-million total pixels and 24.2-million effective pixels.
Still Image Recording Formats: The α6500 can record still images JPEG file format in Standard, Fine, and Extra Fine compression rates. You can choose to shoot in 3:2 or 16:9 aspect ratio, and in large, medium, and small image sizes. You can also record still images using the RAW format, which is uncompressed with no processing performed in the camera. RAW images must be transferred to a computer for processing, editing, and printing using the downloadable Image Data Converter software. You can set the α6500 to record a RAW and a JPEG image (Large, Medium, or Small with compression set to Fine) at the same time. You can select the following image sizes:
|Large||6000 x 4000 (24M)||6000 x 3376 (20M)|
|Medium||4240 x 2832 (12M)||4240 x 2400 (10M)|
|Small||3008 x 2000 (6M)||3008 x 1688 (5.1M)|
|RAW (L)||6000 x 4000 (24M)||6000 x 3376 (20M)|
Panorama Photos: The Panorama mode lets you record panoramic images by holding down the shutter button as you pan across the scene. Panoramic photos can be taken in several different resolution settings:
- Vertical: 3872 x 2160 (8.4M)
- Horizontal: 8192 x 1856 (15M)
- Vertical: 5536 x 2160 (12M)
- Horizontal: 12416 x 1856 (23M)
Movie Recording Formats: The α6500 can record 16:9 4K and Full HD photos in XAVC S format. You can also record movies in AVCHD and MP4 formats. All of the formats use MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 video compression. Audio is recorded in 2-channel LPCM (XAVC S), 2-channel Dolby Digital (AVCHD), and 2-channel AAC (MP4). Movies can be recorded in either NTSC or PAL. You can select from the following bit rates/image quality (NTSC):
|File Format||Resolution||Average Bit Rate|
|XAVC S 4K||3840 x 2160||30p / 100 Mbps |
30p / 60 Mbps
24p / 100 Mbps
24p / 60 Mbps
|XAVC S HD||1920 x 1080||60p / 50 Mbps |
30p / 50 Mbps
24p / 50 Mbps
120p / 100 Mbps
120p / 60 Mbps
|AVCHD||1920 x 1080||60p / 28 Mbps (PS) |
60i / 24 Mbps (FX)
60i / 17 Mbps (FH)
24p / 24 Mbps (FX)
24p / 17 Mbps (FH)
|MP4||1920 x 1080||60p / 28 Mbps |
30p / 16 Mbps
|1280 x 720||30p / 6 Mbps|
Slow and Quick Motion (S&Q): You can record at high frame rates for playback in slow motion. You can also record over long periods of time at set intervals to compress the action into a short movie. There are eight shooting frame rates to choose from:
|Frame Rate||Record Setting|
|120 fps||5x slower||4x slower||--|
|60 fps||2.5x slower||2x slower||Normal playback speed|
|30 fps||1.25x slower||Normal playback speed||2x quicker|
|15 fps||1.6x quicker||2x quicker||4x quicker|
|8 fps||3x quicker||3.75x quicker||7.5x quicker|
|4 fps||6x quicker||7.5x quicker||15x quicker|
|2 fps||12x quicker||15x quicker||30x quicker|
|1 fps||24x quicker||30x quicker||60x quicker|
Photo Capture: You can capture a frame from a movie and save it as a still image. Still photos from a 4K movie will be approximately 8MP (3840 x 2160), while 2MP photos (1920 x 1080) can be captured from Full HD movies.
Dual Media Options: The α6500 camera accepts two types of media for capturing still images: Memory Stick PRO Duo, Memory Stick PRO-HG Duo, and Memory Stick XC-HG Duo, plus SD, SDHC, and SDXC Memory Cards. The maximum number of images that can be recorded on a memory card formatted with this camera varies slightly between the two types of media. There are a few restrictions regarding memory cards that can be used:
- For XAVC S recording, only Memory Stick PRO-HG Duo, SDHC, and SDXC memory cards will work.
- The SDHC/SDXC cards must be SD Speed Class 4 or UHS Speed Class 1 or faster for MP4 and AVCHD recording, and SD Speed Class 10 or UHS Speed Class 1 or faster for XAVC S recording.
- When recording in 100 Mbps or more, UHS Speed Class 3 is required.
SteadyShot Inside: The α6500 is equipped with sensor-shift-type SteadyShot image stabilization system to reduce the effect of camera shake. This system is carefully fine-tuned to match the 24.2-megapixel performance of the camera, allowing you to photograph faraway objects without the blur of camera shake. SteadyShot INSIDE features 5-axis compensation with an effect equivalent to 5.0 stops faster shutter speed. It can compensate for camera shake in the following ways: Horizontal, Vertical, Pitch, Yaw, and Roll.
Clear Image Zoom: Clear Image Zoom increases the effective focal length of the lens by up to 2x (Large images), 2.8x (Medium images) or 4x (Small images) by digitally magnifying the center of the image. Combined with the camera's Digital Zoom and Optical Zoom, you can increase magnification up to 8x over the lens' maximum focal length.
4D Focus: The α6500's 4D Focus system combines 425 phase-detection AF points with High-density Tracking AF Technology and the Bionz X image processor to achieve blazing fast auto focusing (0.05 seconds). The 425 phase-detection points are positioned over the entire image area to provide wide and dense AF coverage. The AF points are activated to follow moving subjects to precise detection and tracking of the subject. You can choose from the following Auto/Manual Focus Modes:
- AF-S (Single-shot Auto focus): The camera focuses and the focus is locked when you press the shutter button halfway down. Recommended for use with motionless subjects.
- AF-C (Continuous Auto focus): The camera continues to focus when you press and hold the shutter button halfway down. Recommended for use when the subject is in motion.
- AF-A (Automatic AF): Single-shot AF and Continuous AF are switched according to the movement of the subject.
- DMF (Direct Manual Focusing): After focusing automatically, you can make fine focusing adjustments manually.
- Manual Focus: When it is difficult to get the proper focus in auto focus mode, you can adjust the focus manually. This mode allows you to set the distance of a subject by rotating the focusing ring to achieve a sharp focus.
AF (Auto focus) Area: You can select between 4 settings:
- Wide: The camera focuses automatically on a subject in all ranges of the image.
- Zone: You can select a zone (consisting of 9 focus areas) on the monitor on which to focus.
- Center: The camera focuses automatically on a subject in the center of the image.
- Flexible Spot: You can change the size of and move the focusing area in order to focus on a small subject or narrow area.
- Expand Flexible Spot: If the product fails to focus on the single selected point, it uses the focus points around the flexible spot as the second priority area.
- Lock-on AF: In this mode, when the shutter button is held halfway down, the camera tracks the subject within the selected autofocus area.
Focus Lock: If a subject is off-center and outside of the AF area, you can lock the focus of the camera.
AF Illuminator: When you press the shutter button halfway down, a red illuminator is emitted until the focus is locked. Under dark lighting conditions or when you shoot a low contrast subject, the AF illuminator allows the camera to focus more easily on the subject.
Drive Modes: The camera offers the following shooting modes:
- Single Shooting: Default setting for standard picture taking.
- Continuous Shooting: In Continuous Shooting mode, you can choose from several speeds: Hi+ (11 fps), Hi (8 fps), Mid (6 fps), and Lo (3 fps).
- Self-Timer: You can set the camera to three different self-timers:
- 10 Second: After you press the shutter button, the shutter will be released about 10 seconds later. This is convenient when the photographer wants to appear in a photo.
- 2 Second: After you press the shutter button, the shutter will be released about 2 seconds later. This is convenient to reduce camera-shake.
- 10 Seconds/3 or 5 Images: The camera records 3 or 5 images continuously after a 10, 5, or 2 second delay. You can choose the best shot from the shots taken.
- Bracket Shooting: Bracket shooting allows you to shoot 3, 5, or 9 images, each with different degrees of exposure (base exposure, under exposure, and over exposure). You can select the bracket step value from 0.3EV, 0.5EV, 0.7EV, 1.0EV, 2.0EV, or 3.0EV. After shooting, you can select an image that suits your intention.
Shooting Modes: The top-mounted Mode Dial lets you select from the following shooting modes:
- Auto: This mode allows you to shoot still images under any condition with good results. The settings are determined automatically by the camera. There are two selections: Intelligent Auto and Superior Auto.
- Program Auto: For shooting with the exposure adjusted automatically (both the shutter speed and the aperture value), while allowing you to adjust other settings manually.
- Aperture Priority: This mode allows you to shoot after adjusting the aperture value manually, letting the camera set the appropriate shutter speed. This mode gives you greater control over the depth of field.
- Shutter Speed Priority: This mode allows you to shoot after adjusting the shutter speed manually, letting the camera set the appropriate aperture. With a high shutter speed, the moving subject appears as if it is frozen on the image. With a slow shutter speed, the moving subject appears as if it were flowing.
- Manual Exposure: This mode allows you to shoot after adjusting the exposure (shutter speed and aperture) manually. You can also perform Bulb shooting for extra long exposures, suitable for shooting fireworks or trails of light.
- Scene Selection: You can select an appropriate mode for the subject or the shooting conditions to allow you to shoot the image with a suitable setting for the subject: Portrait, Sports Action, Macro, Landscape, Sunset, Night Scene, Hand-held Twilight, Night Portrait, and Anti Motion Blur.
- Sweep Panorama: Shoot expansive scenery or high-rise buildings with dynamic composition.
- Memory Recall (1/2): You can register often-used camera settings (including Shooting Mode, Aperture, Shutter speed) to the "1" and "2" positions on the Mode Dial for easy recall.
- Movies/S&Q Motion: You can record movies in 4K, Full HD or HD in 16:9 aspect ratio. When selected on the Mode Dial, you can select the desired movie settings, including Program Auto, Aperture Priority, Shutter Priority, and Manual Exposure. You can also begin recording movies at any time by pressing the dedicated Movie button.
Picture Effect: In Intelligent Auto or Superior Auto mode, you can select Picture Effect to get one of the following effect filters to achieve more impressive and artistic expression: Toy Camera, Pop Color, Posterization, Retro Photo, Soft High-key, Partial Color, High Contrast Mono, Soft Focus, HDR Painting, Rich-tone Mono, Miniature, Watercolor, and Illustration.
Creative Style: The Creative Style function lets you select the desired image processing. You can adjust exposure (shutter speed and aperture) as you like with Creative Style. You can choose from: Standard, Vivid, Neutral, Clear, Deep, Light, Portrait, Landscape, Sunset, Night Scene, Autumn Leaves, Black & White, or Sepia. You can also adjust Contrast, Saturation, and Sharpness.
Exposure Compensation: Exposure compensation is used to alter the camera's standard exposure setting. You can make the image look lighter (increased exposure) or darker (decreased exposure) The exposure compensation amount can be set up to +/-5.0 EV in 1/3-step or 1/2-step increments. When shooting movies, the exposure can be adjusted in a range of +/-2.0 EV.
AE Lock: You can fix the exposure before deciding on the composition when taking a picture. This is effective when the metering object and focusing object are different or when you want to shoot continuously while keep the same exposure value.
Metering Mode: A 1200-zone evaluative metering system provides multi-pattern measuring for superior exposure control accuracy in a wide range of lighting conditions. You can select the method for measuring the brightness of a subject from the following three methods:
- Multi-pattern: This method uses the whole screen divided into 1200 zones to measure light.
- Center Weighted: While emphasizing the central area of the screen, this method measure the average brightness of the entire screen.
- Spot: This method measure light only in the spot metering circle in the center of the frame. You can select a standard or large spot.
White Balance: You can adjust the color tones according to the lighting conditions. You can choose from the following WB options, and adjust the +/- 3 to fine tune the colors: Auto WB, Daylight, Shade, Cloudy, Incandescent, Fluorescent (Warm White), Fluorescent (Cool White), Fluorescent (Day White), Fluorescent (Daylight), Flash, Underwater Auto, Color Temperature, Color Filter, and Custom.
Color Temperature/Color Filter: You can adjust the white balance further by selecting Color Temperature or Color Filter in the Custom White Balance option. With Color Temperature, the higher the number, the more reddish the image, and the lower the number, the more bluish the image. Color Filter achieves the effect of Color Compensation filters for photography. Based on the set color temperature as the standard, the color can be compensated to Green (G) or Magenta (M).
ISO Settings: ISO is a unit of measurement of sensitivity to light. The larger the number, the higher the sensitivity. The camera's ISO can be set manually or automatically, depending upon the exposure mode. The manual ISO range is 100 to 25600 in 1/3EV increments, plus Extended ISO to 51200. For movies, the ISO sensitivity is 100-25600, selectable in 1 EV steps.
Built-in Flash: The α6500 has a pop-up flash. When using the built-in or an optional external flash, the camera offers several Flash Modes: Autoflash, Fill-flash, Slow Sync, Rear Sync, and Wireless. Red-eye Reduction can be turned on or off for each Flash Mode. You can adjust the amount of flash light in a range of -3.0 EV to +3.0 EV with the Flash Compensation feature. Flash Bracketing is also available.
Multi-Interface Shoe: The α6500 is equipped with the Multi-Interface Shoe, allowing you to use an external flash, such as the HVL-F20M, HVL-F32M, HVL-F43M, or HVL-F60M. The XLR-K2M microphone adapter kit is also compatible.
Location Information via Bluetooth: The camera can connect to a smartphone or tablet via Bluetooth (Ver.4.1). Using the PlayMemories Mobile app, the camera can pull location information from the mobile device and record it onto your still images or movies. Then, you can view your images and movies on a map on your computer through the PlayMemories Home application.
Connections: The camera has the following connections:
- Microphone Input: A 3.5mm microphone input is provided for connecting an external microphone.
- Micro HDMI: The Micro HDMI (Type D) connection outputs video and audio via a Micro HDMI-to-HDMI cable (not supplied). The camera automatically recognizes an HDTV and sets the output resolution to 1080i or 1080p. When connecting to a Sony Bravia Sync-compatible TV via HDMI, you can operate the camera using the TV's remote control.
- Micro USB: The camera's Micro USB port lets you connect the camera to a computer for transferring photos and movies via the supplied USB cable. The camera also connects to the supplied AC adapter via the USB cable.
Wi-Fi Overview: The Sony α6500 has built-in Wi-Fi so you can interface the camera with your smartphone or Wi-Fi-enabled laptop computer and wirelessly perform various shooting and playback functions.
NFC (Near Field Communication): By touching an NFC-enabled Android smartphone or tablet to the "N" mark on the right side of the camera, the smartphone will be connected automatically via Wi-Fi, and the PlayMemories Mobile app will be launched. The two devices must touch for approximately 1-2 seconds to make the connection.
QR Code/SSID Connecting: In addition to NFC compatibility, the camera also lets you connect via QR Code or SSID with password. QR Code connecting works with both Apple iPhone/iPad/iPod touch, and Android devices. When you wish to transfer photos from the camera to your device, a QR Code appears on the camera LCD to be scanned by your phone. An SSID and password also appears on the screen to allow you to connect if the QR Code method is unsuccessful. Once connected, the QR Code or SSID/password are registered to your phone for connecting the devices in the future.
PlayMemories Mobile: To interface with the Sony α6500, your smartphone must have the PlayMemories Mobile application. The app is compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch, and requires iOS 8.0 or later. It is also compatible with Android smartphones and tablets with the Android 4.0 (and up) operating environment.
Wi-Fi Functions: The following wireless functions can be performed with the α6500:
- Smart Remote Embedded: You can use a smartphone as a remote controller for the camera. Still images shot via remote control are automatically sent to the smartphone's memory. You can also change some of the camera's settings, including EV, Self-Timer, and Review Check.
- Send to Smartphone: You can transfer still images to a smartphone for viewing. Images can be transferred in its original image size, or resized to 2M or VGA. RAW images are converted to JPEG format before being transferred.
- Send to Computer: You can transfer images stored on the camera's memory card to a computer connected to a wireless access point or wireless broadband router in order to easily make backup copies.
- View on TV: Images can be viewed on a network-enabled TV.
Playback Screen: You can view your photos back as a single image on the LCD monitor, as an Index View, or as a Slide Show. In the menu, you can set the camera to display 12 (4x3) or 30 (6x5) thumbnail images at once in the Index View mode.
Auto Review: After an image is recorded, you can have the camera automatically display it on the LCD monitor for two, five or 10 seconds. You can also turn off auto review.
Image Rotation: Vertical shots can be rotated automatically so that they are displayed upright during playback. This can be done manually or automatically.
Slide Show: You can automatically play back still images continuously in a slide show. You can set the interval to 1, 3, 5, 10, or 30 seconds.
View Mode: There are six View Modes to choose from for playing back images and movies: Date View, Folder View (Still), Folder View (MP4), AVCHD View, XAVC S HD View, and XAVC S 4K View.
D-Range Optimizer/Auto HDR: The camera allows you to correct the brightness and contrast of an image automatically, using the D-Range Optimizer (DRO) and Auto High Dynamic Range functions. The DRO optimizes the gradations of a recorded image in each area of the image; you select the optimal level from Lv1 (weak) and Lv5 (strong). When Auto HDR is selected, the camera shoots three images with different exposures, then overlays them to create one image with the correct exposure and an overlaid image.
Protect Images: You can protect all images on your memory card or select only certain images to be protected from accidental erasure.
Printing Options: The camera offers the following printing options.
- DPOF Compatible: Using the camera, you can specify the images and the number of images to print before you print images at a photo-shop or with your printer.
- Memory Card: You can print images with a Memory Stick or SD card compliant printer.
- Computer: You can copy images to a computer using the available downloadable software and print the images.
InfoLithium Battery: The α6500 is powered by the supplied NP-FW50 InfoLithium battery (7.2V, 1020mAh, 7.3Wh). The battery communicates data to the camera, so that the percentage of battery power remaining can be displayed. The number of images that can be recorded/played back are as follows:
|Screen Mode||Viewfinder Mode|
|350 shots||310 shots|
|70 minutes||65 minutes|
|105 minutes||105 minutes|
Charging: The NP-FW50 InfoLithium battery requires approximately 2 hours 30 minutes to reach a full charge, using the supplied AC-UUD12 AC adapter (5V 1.5A) and Micro USB cable. You can also charge the battery by connecting the camera to a computer using the micro USB cable. Because the USB power output from computer to computer is different, the charging time will vary.
Power Save: You can set different time intervals for the camera to switch to Power Save mode. You can set the interval to 10 seconds, 1 minute, 2 minutes, 5 minutes, or 30 minutes. Once the camera goes into Power Save mode, you can return to the shooting mode by pressing the shutter button halfway.
PlayMemories Home: The ILCE-6500 can be used with PlayMemories Home software, which needs to be downloaded and installed on your computer. "PlayMemories Home" software is downloadable from the Sony Imaging website (The URL is printed in the Instruction Manual). It is compatible with Windows 10, Windows 8.1, Windows 7 (SP1), and Windows Vista (SP2), and Mac OS X 10.9-10.11, and macOS 10.12 operating systems only. With PlayMemories Home you can:
- Manage and edit photos and videos on your PC or Mac
- Organize photos and videos
- Upload photos to a cloud service for storage (PlayMemories Online)
- Search for photos and videos using Calendar View
- Import and Export photos and videos, plus create disks and print.
- Perform basic editing functions
- View photos and videos on a map (using location information from a connected smartphone)
- Create multi-view videos
PlayMemories Camera Apps: The α6500 is compatible with PlayMemories Camera Apps, which enables you to add new features to the camera by downloading a new app and installing it in the camera. Apps are available to fit your shooting style, including portraits, close-up photography, sports, time lapse, etc. Many apps are available via a free download, while more advanced apps require a fee of $4.99 or $9.99.
Image Data Converter: Image Data Converter software is required to display and process images recorded in RAW format. You can also adjust the brightness or color, as well as "develop" the RAW image files into JPEG or TIFF files. Image Data Converter can be downloaded to your computer, using a URL printed in the manual. Image Data Converter is compatible with Windows 10, Windows 8.1, Windows 7 (SP1), Windows Vista (SP2), and Mac OS X 10.9-10.11, and macOS 10.12.
Remote Camera Control: Remote Camera Control software allows you to control a camera connected to your computer via a USB cable. Remote Camera Control is compatible with Windows 10, Windows 8.1, Windows 7 (SP1), Windows Vista (SP2), and Mac OS X 10.9-10.11, and macOS 10.12.
Capture One Express (for Sony): The Sony α6500 is supported by Capture One Express (for Sony) by Phase One. One of the world's best RAW converters, Capture One Express (for Sony) delivers clear, detailed images with accurate colors. You can make adjustments to the RAW image files, convert the images to black & white, or use the HDR (High Dynamic Range) tool to pull out details in over- or under-exposed images. Capture One Express (for Sony) is available for a free download, and is compatible with the following operating systems: Windows 10, Windows 8, and Windows 7, and Mac OS X 10.11.6 or macOS 10.12.x. A pro version can be purchased for even more processing tools.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Why did you buy this?
I have a a6300, but I got tired of having to constantly switch lenses (35mm & 70-300 G) and missing shots, Decided to get another body. [ Vincent Jul 19, 2018 ]
Price competitive, seems like a good return policy, reward points, accessory bundle good, things I can use, not a bunch of junk thrown in [ Kathleen Jul 07, 2017 ]
Great camera! [ Terry Jan 08, 2017 ]
Good reviews I own Sony A 6000 and it is great camera [ Nikolai Dec 18, 2016 ]
1 question already asked
Thanks for your question. I'm sorry there is no discount, some prices are set by the manufacturer. Once you add the item to your cart you will see the free accessories added on there. I have attached links below to the memory card and bag. Hope this information helps. https://www.crutchfield.com/p_766LP36864/Lowepro-Adventura-SH-120-II.html https://www.crutchfield.com/p_678SD32GU/PNY-High-Performance-SDHC-Memory-Card-32GB.html [ Kenny Mar 17, 2017 ] Staff
Frequently Compared With
Sony a6500 (no lens included)
24.2-megapixel APS-C sensor mirrorless camera with Wi-Fi®
Canon EOS M50 (no lens included)
24.1-megapixel mirrorless camera with Wi-Fi® and Bluetooth®$629.00$150.00 Instant Savings$779.00
Sony a6000 Kit
24-megapixel mirrorless camera with 16-50mm lens
Sony Alpha a7 II Kit
Full-frame 24.3-megapixel mirrorless camera with Wi-Fi®, NFC, and 28-70mm lens