Digital multimedia receiver (does not play CDs)
Our take on the Jensen VX5228 by Crutchfield's Alexander Hrabe
Get more from your iPhone®
If your iPhone is an important part of your life, now it can be an important part of your drive. Thanks to onboard Apple CarPlay®, Jensen's VX5228 digital multimedia receiver puts essential smartphone features in your dash with a straightforward interface that's oh-so-familiar. Quickly navigate your phone's music, maps, and contacts using the receiver's big touchscreen and your voice. While Apple CarPlay functionality requires a wired connection with your phone, built-in Bluetooth® lets you wirelessly stream music from various apps on your smartphone and take hands-free calls.
Game-changing Apple CarPlay®
Apple CarPlay integrates your iPhone into the driving experience in a touchscreen interface, displaying the content you use most with minimal distraction so you can drive more safely. That means easy voice-control access to your music library, audiobooks, phone, messages, navigation, and many third-party streaming music apps, too. Learn more at www.apple.com/ios/carplay.
Take and make calls while keeping your hands on the wheel, thanks to a wireless Bluetooth connection between the VX5228 and your phone. Bluetooth also gives you wireless streaming for stored music, music apps, podcasts, and audiobooks. Listening to whatever you want, whenever you want, has never been easier.
A spiffy upgrade
Dedicated buttons for source selection, mute, and Siri give the VX5228 a classic feel while still delivering the touchscreen experience. A large 6.2" touchscreen display makes accessing your favorite features a breeze, and with a connected backup camera (not included), backing in and out of tight parking spots gets a whole lot easier. Expand this receiver's capability by using its rear auxiliary input to play audio from just about any source and its rear USB input to charge your phone, access Apple CarPlay, or play music stored on a flash drive.
A 10-band equalizer lets you tune to your music-loving heart's delight and seven EQ presets are perfect for the listener that loves every genre. You can use the six preamp outputs to connect amplifiers that'll power your speakers and subs for more impact from your system.
Want to keep your car's steering wheel audio controls?
In most cars, you'll need an adapter to retain those controls with this car stereo. Connect a few wires, then program the adapter for your particular car and radio, and you'll retain the convenience of your steering wheel controls. You'll see the adapters that work with your vehicle when you add this receiver to your cart.
Bluetooth note: Use of this receiver's Bluetooth features will depend upon your phone's Bluetooth capabilities. Learn more in our article explaining Bluetooth profiles.
This digital multimedia receiver will not play CDs.
- digital multimedia receiver with AM/FM tuner (does not play CDs)
- 6.2" capacitive touchscreen with icon-based controls
- fits double-DIN dash openings
- works with Apple CarPlay
- Siri voice control
- built-in Bluetooth for hands-free calling and audio streaming
- plays USB memory devices
- 10-band equalizer with seven presets
- inputs: rear USB port, rear auxiliary input (RCA), rear-view camera input
- outputs: 6-channel preamp outputs (4-volt front, rear, subwoofer)
- built-in internal amp (17 watts RMS CTA-2006/60 peak x 4 channels)
- CTA-2006 compliant
- compatible with most factory steering wheel audio controls (adapter required)
- wireless remote
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- Digital media receiver w/ integrated 6.2" touchscreen monitor (10A fuse)
- Wiring harness
- Remote control (CR2025 3V battery installed)
- Microphone (attached 10.5' cable terminated by a mono 3.5mm connector)
- Self-adhesive bracket
- 18" USB extension cable
- 8 Counter-sunk ISO-screws
- 8 Pan-head IOS-screws
- Quick Start Guide
Very good for everything . Apple CarPlay is great and the touch screen is nice . It also makes my speakers slightly louder and deeper.
Jensen VX5228 Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|AUX Input||RCA (rear)|
|Siri Control||CarPlay only|
|Memory Card Slot||USB memory|
|Satellite Radio Ready||No|
|RMS Power (CTA-2006)||16 watts|
|RMS Power (Manufacturer)||16 watts|
|Peak Output||60 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||20-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||No|
|Preamp Voltage||4 volts|
|Key Button Color||White|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||Adapter required|
|Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Labor Warranty||2 Years|
|FM Sensitivity||9 dBf|
|Radio Data System||No|
Apple CarPlay: Apple CarPlay is a smarter, safer way to use your USB-connected iPhone 5 or newer (running latest iOS version) with Lightning-connector in the car, while you stay focused on the road. Apple CarPlay takes the things you want to do with your iPhone while driving and integrates them into the Jensen VX5228. Apple CarPlay offers an incredibly intuitive way to make calls, view maps, listen to music, and access messages from your compatible iPhone through the XV5228 in-dash receiver. With Apple CarPlay, you can control these functions from the Jensen receiver's touchscreen or activate Siri for minimized distraction. Your iPhone with Lightning connector will plug into the VX5228 rear-panel USB using the included 18" USB extension cable and an Apple certified Lightning-to-USB cable (not included).
- Maps: Through Apple CarPlay, the power and simplicity of Apple Maps comes to your dashboard; complete with turn-by-turn direction, traffic conditions, and estimated travel time. You can enter a new destination or choose a favorite or recent destination using the head unit's touchscreen or by simply asking Siri. CarPlay can also predict where you most likely want to go using addresses from your email, text messages, contacts, and calendars.
- Phone: With Apple CarPlay, you can use the XV5228's interactive touchscreen or ask Siri to make calls, return calls, and check voicemail. To dial a phone number, simply press the "Siri" button and Siri will ask you who you want to call. Using the touchscreen you can manually enter a phone number from the on-screen keypad, scroll through contacts, or select from recent and miss calls. In addition, you get access to your voicemails via the touchscreen or Siri. When a call comes in, simply tap the "Phone" icon to answer. You'll carry on your side of the conversation through the included external microphone, while the other party is heard through your vehicle's speakers.
- Text Messages: Apple CarPlay also lets you enjoy a better and safer way of text messaging with friends and family when you're on the road, through the Jensen receiver and Siri. Through your voice commands, Siri can send, read, and reply to your text messages so that you never have to glance at your phone while behind the wheel. When a new message comes in a banner will come across the screen and Siri will read back the message for you. Text messages cannot be read or typed from the head unit's touchscreen to prevent driver distraction.
- Music Library: CarPlay lets you access your music in your iPhone's music library, plus iTunes radio from the Jensen XV5228. You can browse your music by Playlist, Artist, Song, etc.. just like you would on your iPhone from the XV5228's touchscreen. You can also use Siri to find and play back your music. The XV5228's touchscreen will display song/artist information, as well as album art in the background. Tap the Now Playing icon on the Jensen receiver's capacitive touchscreen and see song, artist, album information with Album Art displaying in the background. From the Now Playing screen you also get basic playback function, like Play/Pause, Previous Next/Track, Fast Forward/Rewind, and Repeat/Shuffle.
- Audio Apps & Podcasts: CarPlay also supports additional audio apps that you've downloaded to your iPhone for enjoying podcasts, music, and radio - including Pandora, Spotify, iHeart Radio, TuneIn Radio, Slacker Radio, Vox, Stitcher, MLB.com At Bat, CBS Radio News, NPR One, OverCast, Audiobooks.com & Audible. Control them from the head unit's touchscreen or Siri just like you would from your iPhone. Your iPhone's touchscreen remains unlocked during CarPlay connection, so you are able to access additional music apps and listen to them through the Jensen receiver; however these apps offer no control or display information from the head unit's touchscreen.
- Other Functions: Within the CarPlay's touchscreen menu is a circular icon which acts like the back button on your iPhone. In addition there is an "Main Menu" icon which exists CarPlay and takes you back to the Jensen receiver's Home Menu.
- Your iPhone will need an active Data Plan account with connection to the Internet via 3G, EDGE, LTE (4G), or WiFi.
- Bluetooth hands-free phone cannot be used while Apple CarPlay is being used with a connected iPhone.
- If you need a longer USB extension cable, replace the included 18" USB extension cable with the PAC USB Dash-Mount Cable (541USBDMA6, sold separately) or a longer Apple certified Lightning-to-USB cable (sold separately - see Accessories Tab). Do not use the included 18" USB extension cable in conjunction with another USB extension cable or extra long Lightning-to-USB cable.
iPod/iPhone USB Direct: For iPods and iPhones without CarPlay, the Jensen VX5228 also supports direct connection of select Apple iPods and iPhones through its rear-panel USB port, the included 18" USB extension cable, and the cable that came with your Apple device. The unit will automatically switch to iPod/iPhone mode when an iPod or iPhone is plugged into the rear-panel USB port. The unit offers audio playback, control, song/artist/album display (with album art), and charging of your Apple device through its USB port.
- Music Browsing: You can use the VX5228's touchscreen to browse your music by Playlist, Artist, Album, Song, Genre, or Composer. You can also access a music track directly by using the head unit's touchscreen keypad. In addition, you can activate Random & Repeat playback modes. Newer iPod/iPhones with iOS 6.0+ will still allow you to navigate stored content and apps from the Apple device's touchscreen; older iPod/iPhone devices will be locked during connection.
- Song/Artist/Album Display: The Jensen VX5228 will display your iPod/iPhone's music file information from stored music and select music apps. The head unit will display Track number, Elapsed playing time, Artist name, Song/Album title, and Album Art.
- Battery Charging: The head unit's USB connection provides 1A of current to power and charge your connected iPod/iPhone when your vehicle's ignition switch is set to the 'ACC' or 'On' position. If your iPod/iPhone has no initial battery charge, then the unit will not recognize it.
Note: Direct iPod/iPod mode cannot be accessed while the CarPlay feature is enabled. The unit will automatically launch CarPlay, and iPod/Phone mode cannot be accessed from the Main Menu.
iPod/iPhone Compatibility Chart: The Jensen VX5228 is "Made for iPod/iPhone" compatible and support the following iPod/iPhone model features (3/30/2018):
|Apple Device||Generation||Tested Version||Media Type||Control Type||Display Type||Bluetooth||Charge|
|Audio||Video||Head Unit||iPod/iPhone||CarPlay||Album Art||Song/Artist||Track Info||Phone||Audio||Siri|
Notes: Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the head unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
Bluetooth Technology: The Jensen VX5228 is equipped with built-in Bluetooth, allowing you to make and receive phone calls wirelessly through the receiver; as well as stream music wirelessly from your smartphone to the head unit. In order to use Bluetooth wireless technology, your phone must also be Bluetooth compatible and be able to interpret certain profiles. This unit is compatible with the following Bluetooth Profiles:
- Hands-Free Communication: HFP (Hands Free Profile), PBAB (Phone Book Access Profile).
- Audio Streaming: A2DP (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile), AVRCP (Audio/Video Remote Control Profile).
Note: Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some mobile devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the VX5228.
Hands-Free Communication (w/ external mic): The VX5228 supports Bluetooth hands-free communication from your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone. You can answer an incoming call from the head unit's touchscreen and carry on a phone conversation hands-free. The included external microphone carries on your side of the conversation while your car's speakers are used to hear the other person. You can increase or decrease the volume level of a call, using the head unit's rotary knob on the front panel. You can also transfer calls between the receiver and your Bluetooth enabled phone.
- Answering A Call: During an incoming call, the caller's phone number or assigned contact name will be seen on the unit's LCD and a ring-tone will be heard through your car stereo speakers. You can then manually answer the incoming call from the head unit's touchscreen. You can also set the unit to automatically answer an incoming call within 5 seconds. Any audio playback will be muted during a call. You can even reject an incoming call using the VX5228, so the call will revert to your phone's voice mail.
- Making A Call: You can make a call using the Jensen in-dash head unit's touchscreen controls. Outgoing calls can be made be entering telephone numbers directly via the head unit's touchscreen keypad. You can also make a call from your phone's transferred phonebook (up to 2000 contacts) using the Jensen's VX5228 touchscreen. In addition, you can use the receiver's call log (which consists of dialed numbers, received call, and missed calls) to make a call from the VX5228's touchscreen.
Wireless Audio Streaming: The Jensen VX5228 allows you to play back stored music and music apps from your Bluetooth enabled smartphone, tablet, or audio player. You can control basic music playback functions (Play/Pause, Previous/Next Track) from the VX5228. Advanced music navigation will still need to be done through your Bluetooth mobile device. This unit will also display song/artist information from a connected Bluetooth audio device. When an incoming call or outgoing call is in progress from your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone, audio streaming will be paused so you can take your call. Once the call is finished, your streaming music will resume.
Rear-Panel USB Port: The Jensen VX5228 features a rear-panel USB (type-A) port and comes with an 18" USB extension cable for connection and control of a portable USB mass-storage class (MSC) device, such as a USB thumbdrive or portable digital audio player. The USB port enables playback of MP3 music files, MPEG video files, and JPEG photo files downloaded on a USB MSC device that is formatted in FAT32.
- Control: The VX5228 provides various playback & search functions to find and enjoy your MP3 music files on your USB thumbdrive. Playback functions include Play/Pause and Random/Repeat. Search functions include Folder/File List & Previous/Next Track.
- Display: The VX5228 will display artist name, song title, album title, along with album art. It also provides track number and elapsed playing time.
- Charging: USB portable audio devices that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the digital media receiver's USB port (1A), and the vehicle's ignition switch is set to ACC or On.
Note: This head unit's USB port does not support Android devices, USB Hubs, or USB card-readers.
Aux Input: The Jensen VX5228 is equipped with a rear-panel stereo RCA auxiliary input for connecting an external source device with an analog output.
CTA2006 Compliant: The power specifications for the VX5228 are compliant with the CTA2006 Mobile Amplifier Power Testing and Measurement standards from the Consumer Technology Association (CTA). These standards were developed as a way to equitably compare power specs from model to model and between manufacturers. The power output specs for the VX5228 are as follows:
- CTA2006 Specs: 16 watts RMS x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 20Hz-20kHz, 1% THD-N)
- Maximum Power Output: 60 watts x 4 channels (240 watts total)
4V/6Ch Pre-Outs: The Jensen VX5228 is equipped with six 4.0-volt pre-outs (Front/Rear/Sub). The front and rear channels are fading, while the subwoofer output is non-fading.
Subwoofer Control: The VX5228 offers Subwoofer Control with an adjustable low-pass crossover filter (Flat/80/120/160Hz) and separate level control (+/-6 for the unit's subwoofer pre-out.
10-Band EQ: You can choose between 7 EQ Presets (Classic, Rock, Pop, Jazz, Beat, Flat, or User). The User setting allows you to manually adjust the Jensen head unit's 10-band EQ (31.5, 62, 125, 250, 500, 1k 2k, 4k, 8k Hz). Each frequency is adjustable from -12dB to + 12dB.
Surround Modes: You can select between 4 different Surround modes (Stadium, Cinema, Opera House, Karst Cave) to create a unique sound effect inside your vehicle.
Loudness: The Loudness feature compensates for deficiencies in the low and high sound ranges at lower volume. This feature can be turned On or Off.
Programmable Turn-on Volume: You can program the VX5228 to turn on with the volume at a preset level, instead of the same level as when the head unit was turned off last. This prevents possible speaker damage or a startling surprise when the receiver first turns on at a high volume level.
Beep Tones: An audible beep tone confirms each function selection. This feature can be turned On or Off.
AM/FM Tuner: The head unit features a built-in AM/FM tuner with manual, seek, scan, preset, and direct tuning. The unit features 3 FM bands and 2 AM bands with the capability of storing 6 presets for each band giving you a total of 18 FM presets and 12 AM presets (30 total). You can also automatically store the six strongest stations in your area inside the current selected band. The unit's tuner also is equipped with a Seek mode that when used with the Local function, only allows radio stations with a strong local radio signals to be played.
6.2" Touchscreen Display: The Jensen VX5228 features a fixed 6.2" widescreen touchscreen LCD monitor. The screen has a resolution of 800 (RGB) x 480 with 1,152,000 total pixels. This unit has touchscreen controls with interactive video graphics, making menu navigation easy.
- Clock & Date: The DVD receiver offers a 12- or 24-hour clock display which is visible from any source or menu screen. The clock & date are both visible on the main menu screen only.
Hard-Key Controls: In addition to the touchscreen controls, the unit includes frequently used buttons and a rotary-dial along the left edge of the screen.
Note: For safety reasons, you cannot view a video source on the built-in monitor as long as the vehicle is in motion. In order to display video, the head unit's pink wire must be hardwired into the vehicle's parking brake light circuit, and the vehicle's parking brake must be engaged.
Remote Control: The Jensen head unit comes with an IR remote and supports many vehicle's steering wheel controls (adapter required).
- IR Remote The head unit comes supplied with a 17-button IR remote control which provides wireless operation of the Jensen digital media receiver.
- Optional SWC Interface: The unit features a SWC (steering wheel control) input which lets you keep your vehicle's factory radio steering wheel remote controls when used with an optional steering wheel control adapter from PAC or Metra (sold separately - see Accessories tab).
Rear View Camera Input: The Camera Input consists of a Composite video RCA jack for connecting an optional rear view camera (sold separately - see Accessories tab) in order to display the area behind your vehicle on the head unit's touchscreen. When an optional rearview camera is connected to this unit, the rear view image is displayed on the screen when your vehicle is placed in reverse gear (orange wire of harness must be connected to reverse light wire of vehicle). Automatic video switching takes approximately 1.1 seconds.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Why did you buy this?
It Had everything I wanted. At a fair price [ Pvt Drew Aug 27, 2018 ]
After talking to Hunter, I decided that this was what was best for me and my car [ Jackson Aug 22, 2018 ]
Replace original unit [ Lori Aug 19, 2018 ]
Price [ GARRY L Jun 29, 2018 ]
Wanted bluetooth and apple carplay [ Paul May 15, 2018 ]
It was a brand I recognized, reviews were overall positive, and it would fit in the vehicle without modification. [ Amy Van de Apr 29, 2018 ]
These days you don't need CD/DVD to have a great head unit. Car play makes it wildly flexible while providing the added security of hands-free access to an iPhone. [ Matthew Apr 23, 2018 ]
Apple Car Play is so user friendly! [ SUSANN Apr 06, 2018 ]
8 questions already asked
Yes it happens to me all the time. I think is part of how it works. [ ELLIOT Jul 06, 2018 ]
Yes, i have the same problem. I have not found a way to disable it. [ Douglas Jul 06, 2018 ]
Yes mine does as well. Safety feature I believe [ James Jul 06, 2018 ]
Yes. Haven't found how to change that. It's not mentioned anywhere [ Angel Jul 06, 2018 ]
Yes. I can't figure out how to turn that "feature" off... [ KENNETH Jul 05, 2018 ]
Yes. As far as I can tell he radio switches inputs to show the backup camera. Little goofy (smarter programming and it would just override the display while backing up instead of changing the input). [ Tabratton Jul 05, 2018 ]
Yes, I would love to figure out how to disable [ Kyle Jul 05, 2018 ]
Yes [ shersrin Jul 05, 2018 ]
You will want to contact an Advisor by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat to discuss compatibility with your factory system. They will be able to pull up your vehicle and see if this will integrate. If it does not, then they will also be able to discuss other options with you. [ Krissy Jun 11, 2018 ] Staff
No. Only with usb. [ KEVIN May 30, 2018 ]
Yes this will play over Bluetooth you need to pair the phone 1st. I purchased for my son he listens to music from YouTube and off his phone but also loves the Apple play function. [ Michael May 25, 2018 ]
It does not. It'll only do Apple CarPlay over usb connection. It'll play your music over Bluetooth, and phone calls over Bluetooth, but everything else you need to be connected via lightning usb. [ Juan May 25, 2018 ]
It does not. It supports bluetooth only for hands free phone operation and not through carplay. Only the native jensen hands free setup. [ STEPHEN B May 25, 2018 ]
If you purchased the product from Crutchfield, feel free to contact our Tech Support team. Our toll-free Tech Support number is printed on your invoice, and is also available under the "My Orders" tab in the "My Account" section of our website. If you did not purchase the unit from Crutchfield, then you may want to contact the manufacturer. [ Krissy May 25, 2018 ] Staff
I only saw one camera input. The unit does know when the car is in reverse, which is nice. [ Richard May 19, 2018 ]
I don't think it plays movies or YouTube videos from your phone if it does I haven't figured how to do it [ Mario May 14, 2018 ]
I don't know about the CHR. [ Steven May 05, 2018 ]
Yes it does [ john Apr 28, 2018 ]
Yes it does. [ Andrew Apr 27, 2018 ]
Yes. I just installed the system. The usb cable is attached in the back of the unit. It does come with a short extension. I threaded a longer usb cable, drilled a hole and threaded it thru a grommet to the dash for easy plug-in to my phone. It automatically turns on Apple Car Play when you plug in your phone. It will also connect via bluetooth, but I haven't used that feature. [ SUSANN Apr 26, 2018 ]
Yes. The USB plug charges and connects everything. You could also use Bluetooth but it'd kill your battery, especially GPS. [ KENNETH Apr 25, 2018 ]
Yes [ Steve Apr 25, 2018 ]
Yes it does [ Shane Apr 25, 2018 ]
Yes it does. [ Shane Apr 25, 2018 ]
Yes it does. [ Swade Apr 25, 2018 ]