Nest Thermostat E
Smart learning thermostat
From Nest: Thermostat E
Item # 908A0063 | MFR # T4000ES
$169.00 Earn up to 169 Rewards points
Offers & Financing
Our take on the Nest Thermostat E by Crutchfield's Eric Angevine
Use the free Nest app to control your Nest Thermostat E when you don't plan on getting out of bed for a while.
A sleeker, more cost-effective Nest thermostat
The Nest Thermostat E has a sleek design, featuring a smooth polycarbonate outer ring, and a frosted display that helps it blend into your decor.
By using less expensive materials, and eliminating the Farsight feature that automatically lights up the faceplate as you walk by, the Nest Learning Thermostat E is the most cost-efficient offering from Nest yet!
Spend just one week setting your Nest thermostat by hand, and it will learn your preferences. You'll find yourself waking up, leaving for work, coming home and settling in for an evening with the family without having to worry about setting the right temperature.
And you'll notice the difference on your utility bill, too. If you walk out of the house with the heat or AC still blasting, your Nest thermostat will remember to turn it down for you while you're gone. And if the boss asks you to stay late at work, no problem, you can just fire up the free Nest app and make sure energy isn't being wasted while you're away.
Easy to connect, a snap to use
The Nest Thermostat E installs easily, using an included wall plate and two screws. After it's in place, you can begin monitoring and controlling your energy usage via strong Wi-Fi® on the 5GHz spectrum. You'll be able to change the temperature from anywhere using your smartphone, tablet or laptop. You can make instant changes to your thermostat's schedule and check your energy usage from wherever you are. Whether you're keeping tabs on your own home while you're at work or helping out your aging parents, saving energy has never been easier.
Pays for itself
In independent studies, the Nest Thermostat saved an average of 10-12% on heating bills and 15% on cooling bills. Based on typical energy costs, that means it paid for itself in under two years. Use these handy tools to determine if Nest is right for you: Nest Savings Estimator
Expand your Nest system
The Nest Learning Thermostat is compatible with an ever-growing list of devices:
Your Nest devices work together to give you more control over home security. If your smoke detector sends you an alert while you're at work, you can turn on your Nest camera and assess the situation instantly, then use the camera's microphone and speakers to warn anyone who might be home. Even better, if your Nest Protect senses rising levels of carbon monoxide, your Nest Thermostat can automatically turn off your gas furnace.
- smart thermostat creates a personalized schedule based on the temperature changes you've made
- adjust the temperature from anywhere using your smartphone, tablet or laptop
- strong Wi-Fi® performance on the 5GHz spectrum
- frosted display screen matches any decor
- smooth polycarbonate outer ring for making manual adustments
- easy installation with included wall plate and two screws
- free smartphone app for Apple® and Android™ devices available from App Store and Google play
- smartphone control requires connecting the Nest thermostat to your Wi-Fi® network
- NestSense™ can automatically turn your thermostat to a pre-programmed temperature when you are not home
- Nest Leaf icon appears when you turn to a temperature that's energy efficient
- two-step authentication makes your Nest devices more secure
- compatible with:
- works with Apple Watch
- easy to read 24-bit color LCD screen:
- 320 x 320 pixel display
- 1-3/4" display diameter
- runs on built-in rechargeable lithium-ion battery
- 3-3/16" diameter x 1-3/16" depth
- weight: 4.9 oz.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- Nest Thermostat E (white)
- Plastic trim plate (white)
- Wiring base
- Two 1.5" wall mounting screws
- Installation Guide
One of the excellent gadgets I have seen after APPLE products. Design is awesome, I installed it end to end in 15 mins without even opening the manual provided. Look wise: Simply great! You cant be more happy post installation, I bet
Nest Thermostat E Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Overview: The Nest Thermostat E can help lower your heating and cooling costs by simply learning your schedule and living habits. You can install it yourself, or have it professionally installed. The Nest Thermostat E programs itself in about a week to create a personalized schedule, based on the temperature changes you've made.
Note: Third-party researchers have determined that, on average, Nest reduces your heating bill by about 10%-12%, and your cooling bill by about 15%, according to Nest.
Design: Nest is an easy-to-use thermostat with only two controls--turn it up and turn it down--using the large outer ring. It features a frosted display that blends in beautifully with your decor. The 1.76" diameter, 24-bit color LCD screen has a resolution of 320 x 320 pixels, and 182 pixels per inch. The display shows you the temperature in large, easy-to-read numerals. Included with the thermostat are a mounting base and a plastic trim plate (4-5/16" x 5-7/8") to cover up screw holes left by your old thermostat, if needed. When mounted, Nest protrudes from the wall only 1.22" (1.43" if you have to use the included wall trim plate).
Installation: The Nest Thermostat E works with 24-volt heating and cooling systems, including gas, electric, forced air, heat pump, radiant, oil, hot water, solar, and geothermal systems. Replacing your system's thermostat with Nest requires connecting up to six small-gauge wires by color code, or labeled by function with the supplied labels. The base has spring-loaded tabs for connecting the wires and a built-in level for proper installation with the included hardware. If you're not comfortable with installing it yourself, you can have it professionally installed by a Nest Pro in your area.
Note: If your old thermostat is labeled 120V or 240V, has thick wires with wire nuts, or has L1 and L2 terminal blocks, your system is high voltage and is not compatible with Nest.
Sensors: The Nest Thermostat E has internal sensors that can affect the way it controls your heating and cooling system. The thermostat has activity sensors with a wide-angle view which enables Nest to activate the Auto-Away feature in most homes. Two temperature sensors keep track of your home's temperature, and how quickly it changes. It can also adjust itself if the thermostat is subjected to direct sunlight so it will read and set the correct temperature. It also adjusts the brightness of the display according to ambient light levels. A built-in humidity sensor can help manage a whole-home humidifier or dehumidifier. When connected to Wi-Fi, Nest will keep up with changing weather forecasts, and how the weather affects your energy usage.
System Match: There are many types of heating and cooling systems. The Nest Thermostat E adapts to the system you have, whether you have conventional forced air, heat pump with auxiliary heat, dual fuel, or radiant. System Match turns on features that are specific to your system type to help keep you comfortable and save energy:
- True Radiant: True Radiant keeps homes with in-floor radiant or boiler-to-radiator systems more comfortable. It reduces temperature swings and starts heating early so you get the temperature you want when you want it.
- Heat Pump Balance: Heat Pump Balance lets you choose how much expensive auxiliary heat you use according to your preferences to help you save money while staying comfortable.
- Early On: Early-On takes into account how much time it takes for your heating/cooling system to reach the desired temperature after the temperature setting changes. Similar to pre-heating your oven before baking, Early-On starts heating or cooling in advance so that the desired temperature is reached at the time the temperature change is scheduled. For example, if you wish for the temperature to be 72° at 6:00pm, the system may start heating at 5:30pm in order to reach the desired temperature by 6:00pm.
- Filter Reminders: The Nest Thermostat E will remind you when it's time to change your filters. Nest uses a system runtime monitor to estimate when to send a Filter Reminder. If the summer has been cooler than normal, the air conditioning probably hasn't worked as often or as hard, so you may go months without a Filter Reminder. However, if it has been a cold winter, and your heating system has worked harder than normal, you are likely to receive Filter Reminders more frequently.
Airwave: Airwave lowers air conditioning costs by using the fan more and the AC compressor less. Most thermostats keep the air conditioner compressor and fan running until the target temperature is reached. Nest's Airwave technology turns off the compressor a few minutes before the target temperature is reached, but continues running the fan, taking advantage of the fact that compressor coils generate cold air for 5 to 10 additional minutes after the compressor is off. Airwave automatically turns on when the interior humidity falls below a certain level.
Cool to Dry: If you live in a humid area, moisture in the air can cause mold to grow inside your home, especially if you leave it unattended for a long time with the air conditioner off. Nest's Cool to Dry feature uses the home's air conditioner to reduce the excess humidity. If your heating/cooling system has a dehumidification mode, you can possibly use Cool to Dry to enhance the dehumidification process. (A Nest Pro installer can determine this.)
Furnace Heads-Up: Most heating and forced air furnaces have an automatic shutoff to avoid overheating. The Nest Thermostat E will analyze shutoff patterns to see if there are potential problems with your heating system. If a problem is detected, Nest will send you a Heads-Up message on the Nest App, on the thermostat display twice a year, and in your Home Report once a month.
Note: Customers with the Nest 1st and 2nd Generations can receive the Furnace Heads-Up feature through a software update.
Programming: Once installed, Nest begins learning your schedule. You will need to make the desired temperature adjustments manually for the first week or so. For example, you might want to turn the heat down to save energy while you sleep, and turn it up when you get up. Likewise, you'll want to save energy while you're at work by turning down the thermostat when you leave. After a few days and nights, Nest will learn these habits and start doing them for you.
Wi-Fi Remote Control: The Nest Thermostat E can be connected to your home's Wi-Fi network, which allows it to be accessed remotely by laptop, smartphone, or tablet from any place with an Internet connection. You will need to set up a Nest Account, and download the Nest app on your smartphone or tablet in order to securely access and control your Nest products. When the Nest Thermostat E is connected to Wi-Fi, it will automatically receive software updates. With your Nest Account, you can manage up to 20 Nest Thermostats per home. The free Nest app is available from the iTunes App Store for iPhone and iPad (iOS 9.0 or later), and from Google Play for Android devices (version varies with device).
Nest Sense: After a few days, Nest has learned your schedule and preferences. Nest Sense begins to automatically activate the following features to help you save energy:
- Auto-Schedule: Nest learns your schedule and preferences during the initial week and programs itself. Once the thermostat has learned your habits, the Auto-Schedule could cut up to 20% off of your heating and cooling bill.
- Auto-Away: Auto-Away saves energy by reducing heating and cooling in empty homes. Instead of having to turn the thermostat down every time you leave the house, and back up when you return, the Nest Thermostat E can sense that you're away and turn itself down automatically. You can set the Away temperatures during setup.
- Nest Leaf: The Nest Leaf appears in the display when you choose a temperature that will save energy. It is designed to provide simple feedback when you do something to save energy. Changing the temperature by just one degree can save up to 5% on your energy use. You can view how many Leafs are earned in your Energy History in your Nest Account.
- Auto-Tune: Auto-Tune operates these two Nest services:
- Rush Hour Rewards: During peak energy usage, when everyone is using their air conditioners, some energy providers try to lower demand by offering rewards to customers who reduce their energy consumption during peaks. Auto-Tune will alter your schedule by automatically cooling your home ahead of the peak hours, or make small tweaks to the temperature. You're always in control of the temperature, so you can change the temperature at any time if you start feeling warm.
- Seasonal Savings: Seasonal Savings can save you 5-10% on heating and air conditioning costs. The Seasonal Savings service slowly fine-tunes the temperatures in your schedule to reduce energy consumption. It may adjust the temperature a degree while you sleep, or while you're away. These small tweaks will add up over time. As with Rush Hour Rewards, you are still in control, and can adjust the thermostat at any time.
Energy History: If you're using the Nest App on your smartphone or tablet, you can view the detailed Energy History. You can scroll up and down to view your last 10 days of energy use, including the total time your system was on. Each day's report can be expanded to show you a graphical view of what times the AC or heat was on. You can see if you earned a Nest Leaf for that day, and see your temperature setpoints and adjustments. If your energy use was particularly different that day, an icon will explain the reason (i.e. cloudy, sunny, away, home, etc.). Through your Nest account, you can receive by email a monthly Energy Report with a summary of your energy use, and tips on how to save.
Integration With Other Nest Products: In addition to the Thermostat E, Nest also makes the Nest Protect Smoke + CO (carbon monoxide) detector, and the Nest Cam. These products are designed to work together with the Thermostat E and the Nest App. The Nest Protect is equipped with occupancy detectors that can improve the Auto-Away algorithms of the Nest Thermostat E. The thermostat can automatically shut off your heating system, a potential source of carbon monoxide, if high levels of CO are detected (by Nest Protect). Also, when you set the Nest Thermostat E to Away mode, it can communicate with Nest Cam to turn itself on. Likewise, when you switch your thermostat to Home, it can automatically turn off Nest Cam.
Works With Nest: Nest Thermostat E is compatible with many of the popular Voice Assistants, such as Amazon Alexa and Google Home. The Thermostat E can be added to IFTTT (If This Then That) recipes to automatically adjust the temperature when you leave or arrive home, or to turn up the heat when the weather turns cold. In addition, Nest Thermostat E can also work with other 3rd party products such as August Locks (entry locks), Philips Hue (lighting), Automatic (driving), and Logitech Harmony (remote control), to help you save energy and stay comfortable.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Why did you buy this?
Smart control of my home's heating and cooling. [ Jeffrey Mar 30, 2018 ]
Have had one Nest for years, need another now for the bedroom HVAC system. [ Coppy Jan 07, 2018 ]
Christmas gift. [ Mary Dec 04, 2017 ]
It's a more economical version of the current nest thermostat [ Miguel Nov 21, 2017 ]
Cost. [ Richard Oct 25, 2017 ]
Value and Convenience [ Julian Oct 13, 2017 ]
Trying this new option [ FABIO Sep 28, 2017 ]
Looking for more? Check out the next model in this lineup.
Farsight technology and a larger display
The Nest Learning Thermostat, 3rd Generation offers these features:
Farsight technology senses when you're in the room, even at a distance
2-1/8" display diameter
480 x 480 pixel display