5.2-channel home theater receiver with Bluetooth®
Item # 033AVS540B | MFR # AVR-S540BT
$279.99 Earn up to 280 Rewards points
Offers & Financing
Our take on the Denon AVR-S540BT by Crutchfield's Deia Z.
High-quality home theater sound with Bluetooth streaming convenience
Denon's AVR-S540BT delivers engaging 5.1-channel surround sound for movies and TV, along with rich, full sound for your favorite music. This wallet-friendly receiver is fully compatible with the latest 4K TVs. Built-in Bluetooth gives you loads of music streaming options and lets you control your system from your phone or tablet.
Power and Processing:
- 5-channel amplifier
- 70 watts per channel into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.08% THD, with 2 channels driven
- Dolby® and DTS® surround sound decoding
- automatic speaker setup optimizes your speakers for your room and setup (microphone included)
Digital and Streaming Music Options:
- built-in Bluetooth for wireless music listening with smartphones, tablets, and compatible computers
- Denon 500 Series Remote app lets you control your system from your compatible mobile device
- Denon's Compressed Audio Restorer improves sound quality of MP3s and other digital music files
- plays high-resolution FLAC files from connected USB memory devices (up to 24-bit/96kHz)
- HDMI 2.0b audio/video switching: 5 in, 1 out
- HDCP 2.2 technology ensures compatibility with 4K Ultra HD sources and TVs (HDMI inputs 3, 4, 5, and monitor output only)
- HDR-compatible for extended picture contrast and brightness with compatible 4K TVs and HDR-encoded content
- supports HDR10, Dolby Vision™, and HLG
- composite video switching: 2 in, 1 out
- digital audio inputs: 2 optical and 1 coaxial
- 2 analog stereo audio inputs
- preamp outputs for two powered subwoofers
- no phono input to connect a turntable you'll need to add a phono preamp
- front-panel USB port for audio playback from USB flash drives
- outputs for 5 speakers (Front L/R, Center, Surround L/R)
- full-sized headphone jack
- 4K/60p and 3D video pass-through
- HDMI standby pass-through allows HDMI switching without powering up receiver
- intuitive on-screen guide
- AM/FM tuner
- remote control
- 17-3/16"W x 5-5/16"H x 12-9/16"D
- weight: 16.8 lbs.
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- 5.2ch AV receiver
- Remote control (RC-1216)
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- Sound calibration microphone
- FM wire antenna
- AM loop antenna
- Quick Start Guide
- Warranty Information
- Safety Instructions
- Notes on radio
I actually wanted a Denon high end home theater receiver,but I will settle for this one for now, until I decide to upgrade to a Denon high grade model. I am loyal to Denon products and Cruchfied has given me that opportunity to purchase these items from them.
Anonymous, San Diego, CA
Denon AVR-S540BT Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
Discrete Amplification: The Denon AVR-S540BT AV receiver features a powerful Class AB power amplifier section equipped with discrete high current power transistors. This discrete amplifier design delivers optimum realism and stunning dynamic range. By using high current, high power discrete power devices, the amplifier is able to easily drive high quality speakers. The AV receiver's five channel Class AB amplifier is rated at 70-watts (into 8Ω, at 20-20kHz, with 0.08% THD, driving 2 channels).
Compatible Digital Audio Formats: The AV receiver supports the following stereo & multichannel digital audio formats through its HDMI jacks and optical/coax digital inputs.
|Digital Audio Connector||Audio Signal Type||Audio Signal Format|
|HDMI (5 Inputs/1 Output)||High Definition Audio Bitstream||Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD Master Audio, DTS-HD High Resolution, DTS Express|
|Bitstream||Dolby Digital, DTS, DTS 96/24|
|PCM||2ch to 8ch (32-192kHz, 16/20/24-bit)|
|Optical/Coaxial (2 Optical Inputs/1 Coaxial Input)||Bitstream||Dolby Digital, DTS, DTS 96/24|
|PCM||2ch to 6ch, (32-96kHz, 16/20/24-bit)|
Note: Even though the AV receiver will decode 7.1ch surround sound via HDMI, it will only output 5.1ch surround because it lacks Surround Back channel speaker outputs.
Post Decoding Formats: The Denon AV receiver supports Dolby Pro Logic II (Movie/Music/Game) and DTS Neo: 6 (Music/Cinema) to enhance 2-channel and multichannel decoding formats. The receiver offers the additional Dolby Pro Logic II and DTS NEO:6 audio adjustments.
- Dolby Pro Logic II Settings: You can adjust the following parameters in Pro Logic II Music modes: Panorama (sends stereo signals to the surround speakers as well as the front speakers for a wraparound effect), Dimension (adjusts the soundfield either towards the front or towards the rear of the room), and Center Width (moves the center channel output completely towards the center speaker or towards the front left and right speakers).
- Center Image (DTS NEO: 6 Music): This parameter adjusts the front left and right channel output relative to the center channel to make the center channel more or less dominant as necessary.
Other Listening Modes: You can also choose from the one of the following Listening Modes.
- Virtual Surround: Enjoy surround effects using only the front speakers or set of headphones.
- Multichannel Stereo: Left and right stereo channels are distributed to all the speakers so that stereo sound can be heard from all directions at any listening position.
- Stereo Playback: Sound is output from the front left and right speakers, as well as the powered subwoofer. If multichannel signals are input, they are mixed down to 2-channel audio. The tone settings can be adjusted.
- Direct Mode: The Denon AVR-S540BT offers a Direct Listening Mode which bypass the receiver's tone & DSP processing for higher sound quality performance. Direct Mode provides playback of 2ch or Multichannel audio in its original form, without any surround or tone processing.
Auto Room EQ: During the auto speaker setup process (known as "Auto Room EQ"), the included measuring microphone determines the right combination of optimum settings for the receiver to deliver the best possible sound quality from your particular speaker system and room. You can also choose to manually adjust the AV receiver's speaker settings.
Audio Enhancements: The Denon AVR-S540BT receiver provides various audio enhancements to deliver a high-quality listening experience every time.
- Bass & Treble: You can independently adjust the system's overall Bass and Treble settings from -6 to +6 dB.
- Restorer: Compressed audio formats such as MP3, WMA (Windows Media Audio), and MPEG-4 AAC reduce the amount of data by eliminating signal components that are hard for the human ear to hear. The Restorer function generates the signals eliminated upon compression, restoring the sound to conditions near those of the original sound before compression. It also corrects the sense of volume of the bass to obtain richer sound with compressed audio signals.
- Dynamic Compression: Motion picture soundtracks have tremendous dynamic range (the contrast between very soft and very loud sounds). For listening late at night, or whenever the maximum sound level is lower than usual, Compressing the dynamic range allows you to hear all of the sounds in the soundtrack with reduced dynamic range.
- Night Mode: The Night Mode optimizes sound for late night listening. This function can be set to Low, Mid, High, or Off.
- Audio Delay: If needed, the audio signal can be manually delayed to match the video signal; adjust from 0-200ms.
Volume & Level Settings: The AVR-S540BT offers the following volume & level settings.
- Volume Settings: You can choose to display an Absolute volume scale (0-98) or Relative volume scale (-79.5 to 18dB). You can also set a maximum volume level of 0 (80), -10 (70), or -20 (60) dB to limit the receiver's total volume output. In addition, you can define the volume setting that is active when the power is turned on; select "Mute", -79 to +18dB (1-98), or Last.
- Mute Level: You can set the amount of attenuation for the audio muting circuit; -40dB or -20dB below current volume, or full mute (sound turned off entirely).
- Channel & LFE Level: The volume level (-12 to 12dB) of each channel can be changed while listening to audio; you can set this for each input source. You can also adjust the low frequency effects level (LFE); adjustable from -10 to +10 dB.
- Source Level: This function adjusts the playback level of the currently selected input source's audio input. Use this feature if there are differences in the input volume levels between different sources. You can correct the playback level of the audio input from -12 to +12dB.
Audio Outputs: The Denon AVR-S540BT AV receiver features spring-clip speaker terminals, dual sub outputs, and a front-panel headphone jack.
- Spring-Clip Speaker Terminals: The receiver has spring-clip terminals for all speaker connections. The spring-clip terminals can accept bare wire and pin connectors. The receiver will accept speaker impedances of 6 to 16-ohm.
- Dual Sub Outputs: For compatibility with dual subwoofer home theater systems, the AVR-S540BT features two non-discrete subwoofer outputs. With dual subwoofers, which can be placed in different parts of the room, you'll benefit from response averaging, which helps provide smoother and more detailed deep bass, compared to a conventional single subwoofer speaker system. The same signal is output from each sub output.
- Headphone Jack: When headphones are plugged into the full-size 1/4" jack on the front panel, all the speakers are automatically muted.
HDMI 2.0b: Featuring five HDMI inputs and one HDMI output, the AVR-S540BT incorporates an advanced video section that features the latest HDMI 2.0b specification, including support for 4K/60 Hz Ultra-HD video, BT.2020 Wide Color Gamut, High Dynamic Range (HDR), & 4:4:4 Pure Color sub-sampling, along with support for 3D content. The AVR-S540BT also features HDCP 2.2 compatibility, a requirement for 4K Ultra HD copy-protected content.
- 4K/60Hz Pass-Through: The AVR-S540BT's HDMI (3-4-5) inputs and monitor output support up to 4K (3840x2160 pixels) video @ 60 frames per second. It will also pass a 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, or 1080p video signals via HDMI. HDMI 1-2 inputs do not support 4K.
- HDCP 2.2: The HDMI (3-4-5) inputs and monitor output of the Denon AV receiver support HDCP 2.2, which fully complies with the latest copyright protection standard for 4K video transmission. HDMI 1-2 inputs are not HDCP 2.2 compliant.
- 4:4:4 Color Subsampling: The HDMI (3-4-5) inputs and monitor output support RGB, YCbCr 4:4:4, YCbCr 4:2:2, and YCbCr 4:2:0 color subsampling (@ 60Hz or 50Hz). With 4:4:4 color subsampling, luminance (brightness) and chroma (color) are sampled at the same rate; resulting in an RGB color palette as big as the video sampling rate for a video image with more colors, plus greater color accuracy and detail.
- Wide Color Gamut (BT.2020): The BT.2020 color standard delivers a much wider color gamut and represents about 75% of the total visual color spectrum, while the current Rec. 709 color standard selected as the color space for HDTVs and early generation 4K Ultra HDTVs covers only 35% of the total visual color spectrum.
Note: Use a premium high-speed 18Gbps HDMI cable for the best 4K/HDR performance.
HDR (High Dynamic Range): The Denon AVR-S540BT supports HDR (high dynamic range) Video - including HDR 10, Dolby Vision, and Hybrid Log-Gamma. HDR provides enhanced picture quality by simultaneously enabling greater detail for both the dark and bright parts of an image. HDR reproduces a greater dynamic range of luminosity or brightness levels, creating greater contrast. This increased contrast reveals the subtle nuances of the image, from detailed blacks and shadows to the brightest whites and colors, plus greater depth.
- HDR 10: HDR 10 is an open standard and currently the most popular HDR format on the market. It uses static metadata at the start of a movie to tell the receiver and your TV that the video content is encoded using HDR.
- Hybrid-Log Gamma: HLG (Hybrid-Log Gamma) is primarily designed for live video feed and over-the-air broadcasts. It uses no pre-encoded metadata and is backwards compatible with SDR. HLG's native compatibility allows much of today's existing SDR infrastructure to be re-used for HDR in the future.
- Dolby Vision: Unlike HDR 10 which contains static metadata and HLG which uses no metadata, Dolby Vision uses dynamic metadata technology which sets individual color and brightness levels for each and every scene. Dolby works directly with filmmakers at major Hollywood studios to create superior HDR video masters of blockbuster movies.
Other HDMI Features: The Denon AVR-S540BT AV receiver's HDMI connectivity also offers 3D video pass-through, ARC (Audio Return Channel), Deep Color & x.v.Color support, as well as an auto LipSync function.
- ARC (Audio Return Channel): This feature of the AVR-S540BT's HDMI monitor output allows audio to be sent from your compatible HDTV to the receiver through the same HDMI cable already being used to send audio and video to your HDTV. This eliminates the need for extra cables connected to your television.
- 3D Ready: The AVR-S540BT AV receiver supports 3D video pass-through (720p/1080p only) from connected 3D-compatible Blu-ray, games and broadcast devices to 3D-compatible HDTVs (all 3D components must be connected via HDMI). Special eyewear will be required for viewing 3D content.
- Deep Color & x.v.Color Support: The AV receiver supports Deep Color and x.v.Color content, which can display a larger color range than standard-definition schemes. The result is a more lifelike, vibrant picture
- LipSync: This function adjusts the delay between audio and video output. You can do this manually or have the receiver set the LipSync function automatically. When connected to a TV via HDMI the receiver automatically adjusts audio output timing (0-200ms) if the TV supports an automatic LipSync function. You can also manually delay the sound output up to 200ms to synchronize it with the video image.
HDMI Standby Pass-Through: When the AV receiver is in "Standby" mode and the HDMI Standby Pass-Through function is enabled, both audio/video streams from the receivers HDMI input will be output to your television, via the AV receiver's HDMI monitor output. Once the receiver is turned "On", only video will pass through the monitor output to your TV and the audio is directed to the receiver's speaker outputs.
- HDMI Input: Selects the HDMI Input for which the HDMI Standby Pass-Through function is enabled.
- Last: The HDMI Standby-Through function is activated on the input source selected at the time of setting the AV receiver to the "Standby" mode.
- Off: The HDMI Standby Pass-Through function is disabled.
Composite Video Inputs/Output: The receiver features two composite video inputs and one composite video monitor output. You must connect the receiver to your TV via composite video to view incoming video from the receiver's composite inputs (there is no HDMI upconversion).
Video Select Function: This receiver can display video from a different source on your connected TV during audio playback from Tuner, USB, or Bluetooth.
Front-Panel USB Port: The Denon receiver is equipped with a front-panel USB (type-A) port that allows you to enjoy a variety of music files from a USB mass storage class memory device; such as a USB thumbdrive or portable HDD (up to 2TB); a portable hard disk drive will require an external power supply. Compatible USB storage devices must be formatted in FAT 16 or FAT32. The unit can recognize up to 99 folders/999 files. You can use the receiver's on-screen menu (via HDMI) and remote control to navigate your stored music files on your connected USB memory device. Song/artist information will display on your HDMI-connected TV and the receivers front-panel display. USB devices that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the AV receiver's USB port (5V/1A); even in standby mode.
Compatible Audio Formats Sampling Frequencies Bit-Rate or Bit-Depth Extension WMA (Windows Media Audio) 32/44.1/48 kHz 48-192 kbps .wma MP3 (MPEG-1 Audio Layer-3) 32/44.1/48 kHz 32-320 kbps .mp3 WAV 32/44.1/48 kHz 16-bit .wav MPEG-4 AAC 32/44.1/48 kHz 48-320 kbps .aac/.m4a FLAC (Free Lossless Audio Codec) 32/44.1/48/88.2/96 kHz 24-bit .flac
Note: The receiver's USB port is not compatible with Apple iPod/iPhone/iPad, Android OS devices, USB hubs, and computers.
Built-in Bluetooth: The Denon AVR-S540BT features built-in Bluetooth (version 3.0) with a 32' wireless range for music streaming (A2DP 1.2) and control (AVRCP 1.5). You'll be able to wirelessly connect to smartphones (including iPhone & Android), tablets (including iPad & Android), laptops (including Microsoft Surface & Macbook), computers (including Windows PC & Mac), and other Bluetooth-enabled devices. Up to eight Bluetooth devices can be remembered by the AVR-S540BT, so family members as well as friends can enjoy their favorite tracks (only one device can be used at a time).
- Wireless Music Streaming: You'll be able to wirelessly stream stored music and music apps from your Bluetooth-enabled source device to the Denon receiver. In addition to support for the standard SBC Bluetooth audio codec, the AVR-S540BT offers support of AAC. By supporting AAC, the Denon receiver offers better audio performance of the music streamed from your Apple iPod/iPhone/Pad.
- Wireless Music Control: You will also be able to control basic playback functions (Play/Pause, FF/RW, Skip) using the receiver's remote control. Advanced music operation will still need to be handled from your Bluetooth-enable device. There is no song/artist information display on the receiver or connected TV. Continue to use your Bluetooth device's screen to view song/artist info.
Auto On & Select: The receiver can be setup to automatically re-connect with previously paired devices, as well as turn on automatically when you start streaming audio from a Bluetooth source device.
- Bluetooth hands-free communication for making and answering phone calls is not supported.
- Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the Denon AV receiver.
Optional HEOS Link: Connect the AVR-S540BT to the Denon HEOS Link (sold separately) for wireless music streaming and multiroom audio capability. The HEOS Link enables the AVR-S540BT to play back online streaming services like Spotify, TIDAL, Pandora and more. With the HEOS Link you can add HEOS multiroom audio to your home theater audio system, and play different songs in different rooms or the same song in every room. Once connected, use the HEOS app on your Apple iOS or Android device to control your music remotely. Also available is is ability to control HEOS with Amazon Alexa voice commands through an Alexa Echo device (sold separately).
AM/FM Tuner: The Denon AV receiver features a built-in AM/FM tuner with 56 station auto-preset memory tuning. You can also set your presets manually.
Bluetooth Remote App: Download the 500 Series Denon Remote app (for Apple iOS 9.0 and Android OS 4.0+) to control the AVR-S540BT from your Bluetooth-enabled Apple iOS or Android OS device. Functions include -
- Power on/off, Volume up/down, & Mute on/off
- Input selection & Sound mode selection
- Tuner control (including Band selection, Tune up/down, & Preset up/down)
- Music Player for internal music files of your Android or Apple iOS mobile device
- Browse & playback control for a connected USB mass storage class device
IR Remote: The Denon AVR-S540BT comes with an IR remote for wireless operation of the AV receiver. It also supports HDMI-CEC and Smart TV Control.
- HDMI CEC: HDMI CEC allows you to link operation of the receiver with other audio/video components (like your TV, Blu-ray player, or satellite/cable box) that are connected via HDMI. Linked functions include TV Audio Switching, which automatically switches the receiver to the TV input when you turn on your television, and Power Off Control, which automatically turns the receiver off when your TV, Blu-ray player, or satellite/cable box is turned off. The HDMI CEC function can be disabled, if your prefer.
- Smart TV Control: You can even control the Denon AVR-S540BT with your Smart TV remote via an HDMI connection and the HDMI CEC functionality associated with your Smart TV. Simply set "HDMI Control" to ON in the receiver, then set "Smart Menu" to ON and begin controlling the AVR-S540BT with your TV's remote. The Smart Menu home screen provides you quick access to source and surround mode selections, the AVR's setup menu and four Smart Selects (or "Quick Selects").
OSD w/ Setup Assistant (via HDMI): Once you connect your TV to the AVR-S540BT via HDMI, the exclusive Denon Setup Assistant appears on your TV screen to walk you through setup, step-by-step. With Denon's on-screen menu and setup assistant, you can connect, configure, and use your home theater system with ease. The OSD and setup assistant features clear on-screen graphics and text that optimizes critical system settings for your particular home theater setup.
- The on-screen menu and setup assistant is required for initial setup and is only available through the receiver's HDMI output.
- The on-screen menu and setup assistant does not support video overlay.
Quick Select: On the AVR-S540BT's front-panel and remote, you'll find four Quick Select buttons that let you quickly choose from the most popular input sources. With Quick Select, the AVR-S540BT remembers not only your preferred inputs but also your preferred audio settings, so you can enjoy precisely tailored sound with each one.
Timers: The Denon AV receiver features a programmable Sleep Timer and Auto Standby function.
- Sleep Timer: This function allows you to automatically set the power to standby after a predetermined amount of time has passed; set the sleep timer up to 120 minutes in 10 minute increments.
- Auto Standby: The unit enters standby mode automatically when no commands are sent to the unit for the set time (15/30/60 minutes). Before it enters the standby mode, "Auto Standby" is displayed on the front-panel display of this unit and the on-screen menu.
ECO Mode: This receiver is equipped with an ECO Mode function that allows you to enjoy music and movies while reducing the power consumption during use, Eco mode adjusts the maximum power available according to the volume level selected to reduce power consumption.
Personal Memory Plus: For each input, the receiver automatically memorizes the settings for input mode, surround mode, HDMI output mode, audio delay, etc. When the input source is switched, the settings last used for that source are automatically recalled. The surround parameters, tone control settings, and playback levels for the different output channels are memorized for each surround mode.
Protection Circuit: This is a function to prevent damage to components within the power supply when an abnormality such as an overload, excess voltage, or over-heating occurs. In this unit, the power indicator blinks and the unit enters standby mode when an abnormality occurs.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Why did you buy this?
Only needed a basic home theater surround sound with 5 channels that included 4K and 3D capabilities for my relative's usage. I have had good experience with the Denon brand but they were higher end AVRs, hopefully their lower end equipment will be good as well. [ Ed Aug 18, 2018 ]
Wanted a low cost, high function receiver for our vacation home. [ DANIEL Jun 19, 2018 ]
Looking for more? Check out the next model in this lineup.
Get Wi-Fi®, HEOS multi-room music, Amazon Alexa compatibility and a phono input
The Denon AVR-S640H offers these features:
HEOS technology wirelessly connects compatible HEOS components for whole home audio
works with Amazon Alexa-compatible voice control assistants
moving magnet (MM) phono input for connecting a turntable
Frequently Compared With
5.2-channel home theater receiver with Bluetooth®
5.1-channel home theater receiver with Bluetooth®
5.2-channel home theater receiver with Bluetooth®
5.2-channel home theater receiver with Wi-Fi®, Bluetooth®, and Amazon Alexa compatibility$379.99