Harman Kardon Omni 50+
All-weather wireless portable speaker with Chromecast built-in and Bluetooth®
Our take on the Harman Kardon Omni 50+ by Crutchfield's Ralph Graves
Multi-room audio moves outdoors
The top-mounted Link button lets you bring music out on the deck without using a smartphone.
The rugged Omni 50+ is one versatile wireless powered speaker. Use it indoors to fill a large room with music. Or charge up its built-in battery and take it out on the deck. The speaker is designed for all-weather use, so don't' worry about rain. Built-in Wi-Fi® lets you access high-res files up to 24-bit/192kHz. Chromecast built-in lets you stream songs, radio stations, and podcasts from compatible apps. Plus, you can easily set up a multi-room audio system over Wi-Fi with other Chromecast built-in speakers.p>
Easy app control
Use the Harman Kardon control app to set up your Omni+ system and adjust your speakers.
You can also use the Google Home app to control all your Chromecast built-in speakers for multi-room audio. Plus, the app lets you control compatible smart home devices like Wi-Fi thermostats and power outlets. You can browse trending and popular content from your Chromecast-enabled apps, search for content across platforms, and more.
Both apps are free, and are available from the Apple® App Store and Google Play. And both let you set up playlists and access streaming services such as Spotify® Premium, TIDAL, Pandora®, Google Play Music, Tunein, and iHeartRadio.
Stream more with Bluetooth
You can stream wirelessly from your smartphone or tablet to the Omni 50+ via Bluetooth. The Omni 50+ can then retransmit the signal to other Chromecast built-in speakers in your multi-room audio system. Having Bluetooth on board is a nice touch, because you can stream audio from any app on your phone or tablet — even video games or YouTube™ soundtracks.
Power to spare
The Omni 50+ has a built-in rechargeable battery that can deliver up to five hours of continuous music. And it also has a USB charging port for portables. So when you're out on the deck with the Omni 50+ streaming from your smartphone, you can keep the tunes coming.
Link button lets the music follow you
On the top of the Omni 50+, there's a "Link" button. With it, your music can follow you from room to room. Say you have music playing on your Omni 50+ on the deck. You walk into the kitchen where there's an Omni 10+ on the counter. Press its Link button, and music starts playing, perfectly in sync with the deck's Omni speaker. Press and hold the Link button, and every Omni speaker in your home will come to life with that song.
Roon-compatible for serious music lovers
The Omni 50+ is also compatible with Roon, a subscription digital music player you download to your smartphone, tablet, or computer. It gives you multi-room audio playback for all your Chromecast-compatible devices and more. Roon accesses your digital music collection from your iTunes library or NAS drive. It also works with your TIDAL subscription. Roon lets you do deep dives into your music, showing artist bios, photos, reviews, and lyrics. Roon can also suggest other artists and songs based on your selections, making it easy to discover new music you'll enjoy.
- wireless connectivity:
- built-in Bluetooth for streaming music from your smartphone or tablet
- built-in dual-band Wi-Fi for a stable connection to your network and the internet
- Chromecast built-in for creating a multi-room audio setup with other compatible wireless speakers
- two 3/4" tweeters and two 3-1/2" woofers
- 100 watts total power (2x25 watts for tweeters, 2x25 watts for woofers)
- supports playback of high-resolution audio (up to 24-bit/192kHz)
- frequency response: 50-20,000 Hz (-6dB)
- Harman Kardon Controller app:
- free download from Apple® App Store and Google Play
- set up and customize your Omni+ speakers
- control multi-room playback with two or more Omni+ speakers
- Google Home App:
- free download from Apple® App Store and Google Play
- control multi-room playback with two or more Chromecast built-in wireless speakers
- control Chromecast built-in-compatible streaming services such as Spotify Premium, TIDAL, Pandora, Google Play Music, Tunein, and iHeartRadio
- control other Chromecast-compatible devices, such as smart home thermostats and switches
- "Link" button lets you start playing music in a second room without using a remote
- 3.5mm input for connecting a portable music player; music can be streamed to other Omni devices
- USB port to recharge smartphones and other compatible devices
- IPX5 rated all weather waterproof
- top-panel volume and playback (play/pause) buttons
- built-in rechargeable battery lasts up to 5 hours
- AC power supply included
- 13-1/8"W x 8-3/8"H x 6-7/8"D
- weight: 7.3 lbs.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- Indoor/outdoor wireless speaker
- AC power supply (w/ attached 5' DC cord)
- 68" AC power cord
- Quick Start Guide
- Important Safety Instructions
- Warranty Card
Omni 50+ Indoor/Outdoor Wireless Speaker: The Omni 50+ is splash and weather proof indoor/outdoor wireless speaker with an IPX-5 rating. The built-in rechargeable battery and integrated carry handle makes it easy to carry the Omni 50+ speaker around the house or outdoors. The OMNI 50+ speaker features a stereo two-way driver design with two 0.75" tweeters and dual 3" mid-woofers. Each driver is powered by its own discrete 25W amplifier. In addition, the Omni 50+ speaker utilizes a rear-firing 6"x3" passive radiator for bigger bass response from a compact speaker. The Omni 50+ offers a frequency response of 50Hz to 20kHz. The Omni 50+ speaker is designed to fill your room or outdoor area with crisp sound thanks to Harman's expertise in audio technology.
Note: The speaker is IPX-5 certified, so it can withstand direct splashes from any direction for up to 3 minutes. Although a little snow or rain won't hurt it, Harman/Kardon does not recommend keeping the speaker outside during rain and/or snow. Also ,be aware of extreme hot or cold temperatures that may be damaging.
Omni+ Wireless HD Audio Series: The Omni Adapt+ is part of Harman/Kardon's Omni+ wireless HD music system which consists of three wireless powered speakers (Omni 10+ / Omni 20+/ Omni 50+), a soundbar (Omni Bar+), and wireless HD receiver (Omni Adapt+). The Omni+ wireless HD audio system creates a wireless multiroom/multisource distribution audio system throughout your home. It gives you access your Apple iOS or Android device's music library, DLNA content, Bluetooth Audio, integrated music apps (like Tidal & Deezer) Spotify Connect, and music apps from Chromecast Built-in (like Pandora & iHeartRadio). Its all controlled from the Harman/Kardon Controller app on your compatible Apple iOS or Android mobile device.
- Number of Supported Zones: You can configure up to six Zones around your home using the Omni+ wireless HD music system from Harman/Kardon.
- Multiroom Supported Sources: The music library from your Apple iOS or Android device, DLNA content, Integrated apps (like Tidal & Deezer) Spotify Connect, Chromecast built-in music apps (like Pandora & iHeartRadio), Bluetooth audio, and Aux input can all be multiroom distributed.
Note: The new Omni+ wireless HD audio system have been designed to work with H/K's older Omni system. However, not all features from the new Omni+ series will work on the older Omni speaker system, and some older features of the earlier Omni speaker system will not work on the new Omni+ series.
Single, Stereo, & Multichannel Configuration: You have the option to use one Omni+ speaker or two Omni+ speakers in a wireless stereo pair. In a stereo pair, you will need to assign which speaker is the Left and which is the Right, as well as indicate which speaker is the Master and Slave. You can also use the Omni 50+ speakers as rear surround speakers for the Omni Bar+ soundbar speaker (sold separately) You can even create a wireless surround system with five Omni 50+ speakers, the H/K Omni Adapt+, and a powered subwoofer in a 5.1ch (all sold separately).
Note: If you want to set up a wireless stereo pair or multichannel configuration, all speakers in the room must be the Omni 50+ (you cannot mix and match Omni+ series speakers) and all speakers must be on the same 5GHz wireless network.
Wired or Wireless Network Connection: The H/K Omni 50+ supports the latest 802.11ac wireless home networking technology and dual band (both 2.4GHz and 5GHz) Wi-Fi connection - resulting in a faster, robust and more stable wireless connection with less chance of interference. The system's built-in WiFi employs a special BlackFire protocol, which allows it to handle up to 24-bit/192kHz high resolution music files with ease and provide a stable multiroom/multisource distributed audio experience. The Omni 50+ is also equipped with an Ethernet (RJ45) jack if you prefer a hardwired connection. Network setup is done through the Harman/Kardon Controller App on your Apple iOS or Android device. If your wireless network router supports WPS, the Omni 50+ also offers a WPS button for simple one-button setup.
Note: The Omni 50+ speaker is designed to be used outdoors, but will still need to be kept in range of your wireless (WiFi) network. Bluetooth audio streaming and the Aux input will not require network coverage.
HD Audio Streaming: Unlike many other wireless streaming systems that only support standard-definition music streaming, the Omni 50+ and Omni+ wireless HD audio system from Harman/Kardon supports up to 24-bit/192kHz high-definition audio streaming for a superior audio experience; higher resolution than even CD (16-bit/44.1kHz). As a result, your wireless music is delivered with more clarity and the detailed nuances. The H/K Omni+ wireless HD audio system supports music files such as MP3, WMA, AAC, FLAC, and WAV.
Harman/Kardon Controller App: The Harman/Kardon Controller app (for Apple iOS 8.0+ and Android OS 4.1+) turns your compatible Apple iOS or Android device into a remote control for the Omni 50+ and the rest of your Omni+ wireless HD audio system. The H/K Controller App provide an easy-to-use interface and gives you complete control of your music and where it's played. From the app, you can stream different songs in each room, group rooms together, or activate Party Mode and play the same track throughout every H/K wireless HD speaker in your home. You'll have access to music stored on your Apple iOS or Android device, integrated music apps (like Tidal & Deezer), Spotify Connect, and music apps within Chromecast built-in (like Pandora & iHeartRadio) through the H/K Controller app. The app will allow you to browse music by artist, song, album, genre, etc.; plus view song and artist information with album art.
- Multiroom Audio: The Harman/Kardon wireless HD audio system supports up to six audio Zones around your home which can be played individually, or linked together. You can listen to the same or different audio soundtrack in each Zone. From the H/K Controller app on your compatible mobile device you are able to conveniently group multiple H/K Omni+ wireless HD components and rooms into a single playback Zone (Group) or divide them into separate Zones. When you stream music to a single Zone or Group, all speakers and rooms in that Zone (Group) will play together.
- Playback + Playlists: Play/Pause & Volume functions can be done from the Harman/Kardon Controller App on your compatible mobile device or directly from the wireless HD speaker's top-panel controls. The H/K Controller app also lets you skip to beginning of the next song. You can even create your own playlist from your mobile device's music library using the H/K Controller app on your smartphone or tablet.
- Link Button: The Link button in the Harman/Kardon Controller app or on the top of every Omni+ wireless HD component lets you take your music from room to room with a single touch. Say you're listening through one Omni+ series product in one room and you walk into another room with another Omni+ series component. Just press the Link button in the app or on top of the unit and your music follows you from room to room.
- Party Mode: If you want to fill your entire home with the same soundtrack, just activate Party Mode in the H/K Controller app, or by pressing and holding the Link button on top of the unit. Once Party Mode is activated, the same song will play through every Omni+ wireless HD audio component throughout your home.
Note: Streaming via Bluetooth or a direct aux input connection is supported without the H/K Controller app. The Spotify Connect app and the Chromecast built-in app can also be used to control their respective features through the Omni+ wireless HD audio system. However, you will need the Harman/Kardon Controller app for initial setup, for multiroom/multisource audio distribution, and for other advanced functions.
Integrated Music Apps: Select music apps are integrated into the H/K Controller app for quick access to your favorite songs, stations, and playlists from your compatible Apple iOS or Android device for playback on the Harman/Kardon wireless HD audio system. Integrated apps include Tidal, Deezer, SHOUTcast, and Qobuz (subscription fees may apply. The H/K controller app will provide music browsing, playback control, and song/artist information with album art.
Spotify Connect: The integration of Spotify Connect will enable Spotify Premium users to instantly select and wirelessly stream music to the H/K Omni 50+ from within the Spotify app (for Apple iOS 9.0+ or Android OS 4.0+). Spotify is a digital music service that gives you on-demand access to one of the largest music libraries in the world (over 15 million tracks and counting). Spotify makes it easier than ever to discover, manage, and share music with your friends. You can browse music by artist, album, track, or most popular; and create your own music library with customized playlists.
Local Music Libraries: The H/K Controller App lets you access and play your Apple iOS or Android device's local music library through the Omni 50+. You can see all the music on your phone or tablet sorted by Playlists, Songs, Artists, Albums, or Genres. You'll be able to control playback and create playlists of your device's music library through the H/K Controller app. You can also use compatible Google Chromecast apps (PLEX, AllCast, or AllConnect) to play local music files from DLNA devices (like a Windows PC, DLNA server, or DLNA compliant NAS Drive). The H/K Omni+ wireless HD audio system will soon add DLNA support via the HK Controller app (will require future firmware update - no ETA).
Chromecast Built-in: With Chromecast built-in, you can instantly stream select online music, radio, and podcast services from your Apple iOS or Android device to the Omni 50+. Chromecast Built-In streams audio directly from the cloud, so you get the highest sound quality (up to 24-bit/96kHz) and the ability to enjoy crystal clear sound exactly the way the artist intended. Simply tap the Cast button from a Chromecast built-in compatible music app to start streaming to the Omni 50+. You can search, browse, play, skip, and turn up the volume directly from the music apps you know and love on your compatible phone, tablet or laptop. While you cast your music, you can still use your phone to answer a phone call, play a game, send a text, and even leave the room - all without interrupting what's playing on the Omni wireless HD audio system.
- Music, Radio, & Podcasts: Chromecast built-in lets you play music from popular music services by artist, song, genre, album playlist, mood, or activity. You can also listen to your favorite internet radio stations and podcasts. Compatible music and internet radio apps include Tidal, Spotify, Pandora, TuneIn, GooglePlay Music, iHeart Radio, and more (subscription fees may apply). Chromecast Built-in currently supports a single account per user (up to 6) and streaming service. You'll also be able to stream your favorite music, playlists, podcasts, and more that are stored on your Android (OS 4.4.2+) device to the Omni 50+. You cannot stream stored content on an Apple iOS device using Chromecast built-in (you will need to use the Harman/Kardon Controller App). If you're on your laptop or computer, you can also cast any music streaming website through the Chrome browser.
- Google Home (Multiroom Audio): Multiple Chromecast Built-in speakers can be added to the same WiFi network to form a multiroom audio system using the Google Home app. Using the Google Home app for Apple iOS 9.1+ and Android OS 4.1+, you can sync multiple speakers with Chromecast Built-in in multiple rooms of your home to play the same song throughout your house at the same time. Only Chromecast Built-in compatible music apps are supported.
- Voice Control (Optional): Purchase a Google Home wireless speaker with built-in Google Digital Assistant (sole separately - see Accessories Tab) and gain voice control of compatible Chromecast Built-in music apps. You'll be able to access a specific music app and then select a specific station or song using only your voice. You'll also have voice control over Play, Pause, Skip, & Volume. The Omni 50+ & the Google Home speaker must be connected to the same wireless (WiFi) network.
Bluetooth Audio Streaming: In addition to streaming music over your wireless network, the Omni 50+ also offers built-in Bluetooth A2DP/AVRCP with support for wireless audio streaming. You can stream stored music, music apps, and other audio content on your Bluetooth source device (such as your smartphone, tablet, or computer) to the Omni 50+. Playback control includes Volume, Play, & Pause only. Multiple devices can be paired with the Omni 50+, but only one device can be used to stream music at a time. Once paired, the Link 20 will automatically re-connect with paired devices when in wireless range (up to 33').
Note: The Omni 50+ does not support Bluetooth hands-free phone communication (HFP).
Aux Input: In addition to its wireless connectivity, the Omni 50+ is equipped with a stereo minijack (3.5mm) input for connecting an external analog audio device which features a headphone jack or analog output. The analog output can be can be distributed to other rooms or zones as part of Omni+ wireless HD music system.
Note: The audio coming from the Aux input will have priority over other sources. Please stop or pause the Aux input source before beginning playback from Bluetooth or WiFi.
USB Charging Port: The Omni 50+ is equipped with a USB (type-A) port for charging your smartphone or tablet device. This USB port does not support music file playback.
Indoor/Outdoor Mounting & Placement Options: Its IPX-5 rating allows you to use the speaker indoors or outdoors. The H/K Omni 50+ wireless loudspeaker is designed to be placed on a flat surface; such as a table, desk, shelf, or piece of AV furniture. When setting up a stereo pair, speaker placement is important. You should place both speakers in a semicircle with your listening position at its center. Angle each speaker so it directly faces the listener. Place the speakers at the same height, preferably at about the same height as the listener's ears.
Note: There is no included bracket, keyhole slot, or threaded insert to wall-mount the speaker.
Power Requirements: The H/K Omni 50+ wireless loudspeaker features a built-in battery that can support up to 5 hours of playback time. It can also be powered using the included AC power adapter and cord. The AC power adapter will fully charge the built-in battery in 3.5 to 4 hours.
Automatic Firmware Updates: Harman Kardon will periodically release firmware and Controller app upgrades for the Harman Kardon Omni+ wireless HD audio system to add additional features and improve performance. In most cases, these upgrades will be automatically done over the network.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.