Garmin VIRB 360
4K 360° action cam
Our take on the Garmin VIRB 360 by Crutchfield's Eric Angevine
Garmin's VIRB 360 action cam can be controlled via easy-to-use buttons, or voice commands.
An action cam with all the bells and whistles
It's hard to think of a special feature Garmin's VIRB 360 doesn't have. It shoots 4K video at 30 frames per second, snaps 15-megapixel stills, and does both with 360-degree coverage. It's equipped with GPS and GLONASS for pinpoint location accuracy. It's rugged and waterproof down to 32 feet without a case. It is, quite simply, ready for adventure.
Track vital information
The VIRB 360 not only shows you satellite location information, but it also overlays G-Metrix data if desired. G-Metrix tracking includes barometer, accelerometer, gyroscope and compass information that adds important context to your action footage. The free VIRB app lets you add that same information to 360-degree footage as you edit, so you can share it all with friends in a convenient package.
Livestream via social media
If you have an Apple device, the VIRB 360 lets you livestream directly to YouTube® or Facebook Live®. It's a thrilling way to share the moment with friends and family as it happens.
What good is 360-degree action footage if you can only hear what's happening in part of the picture? The VIRB 360 features four built-in microphones so you get immersive sound to go with your thrilling video.
- rugged action camera captures 360° video on the go
- shoots 4K Ultra HD video at 30 fps (720p video at 60 fps)
- 4 built-in microphones record 360° audio
- spherical stabilization ensures smooth video during action shots
- takes immersive 15-megapixel 360° still photos
- start and stop recording with voice control or easy-to-reach buttons
- free VIRB app lets you edit footage and add data overlays
- G-Metrix tracking includes barometer, accelerometer, gyroscope and compass information
- Wi-Fi® and Bluetooth® for wireless camera control, video playback, and more
- connect to your Apple device to livestream to YouTube® or Facebook Live®
- GPS and GLONASS data provide extremely accurate positioning information
- ANT+® compatible for wireless connection to compatible Garmin products
- 1" display screen is readable in bright sunlight
- waterproof down to 32 feet without a case
- records to microSD, SDHC and SDXC cards up to 128GB (not included)
- HyperFrame Director Mode lets you reframe content after filming
- Spherical stabilization keeps video smooth and shake-free
- free VIRB Mobile app enables video livestreaming
- stitch photos and videos together with VIRB Edit mode
- rechargeable lithium-ion battery
- tripod/handgrip and cradle attachment
- action cradle
- USB cable
- 1-9/16"W x 2-3/8"H x 2-3/4"D
- weight (with battery): 5.6 oz.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- 360-degree action camera
- Lithium-ion rechargeable battery (3.8V 1250mAh 4.7Wh)
- Tripod cradle (1/4" screw socket)
- Action cradle (GoPro mount)
- Tripod/hand grip
- 19.5" USB charging/data cable (Type A USB on one end and Micro-B USB on other end)
- Set-up Guide
- Important Safety and Product Information
Features and Specs
|LCD Screen Size (inches)||1.0|
|Total Pixel Count||24MP|
|Effective Pixel Count for Video||---|
|Aspect Ratio||16:9, 1:1|
|Optical Zoom||N x|
|Built-in Video Light||No|
|Max Recording Time w/ Included Battery||65 min|
|Digital Still Camera Features|
|Effective Pixel Count for Stills||---|
|Built-in Photo Flash||No|
|Still Image Aspect Ratios||2:1, 1:1, 4:3|
|Inputs and Outputs|
|USB Port||Micro-B USB|
|Weight With Battery (ounces)||5.64|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|Image Sensor Warranty||1 Year|
Overview: The Garmin VIRB 360 is a 360-degree compact action camera that can record full-sphere video and audio. After the video is captured, VIRB 360 will auto-stitch your footage up to 4K/30 fps. For even higher resolution, you can record in unstitched 5.7K (2880 x 2880) at 30 fps. VIRB 360 can also shoot 15MP still photos, burst shots, and time-lapse photos. The camera's rugged, waterproof housing will protect the camera down to 10 meters (33 feet). The VIRB 360 also has built-in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth for wireless connectivity.
Image Sensors: The VIRB 360 is equipped with two 1/2.3" backside-illuminated CMOS image sensors, each with 12 megapixels per sensor.
Lenses: The VIRB 360 has dual super-wide angle lenses, located on the front and back of the camera, to capture full 360-degree video and photos. Each lens has 8 elements with a 201.8° unstitched field of view (141° horizontal, traditional 16:9), and a fixed f/2.0 aperture. There are four lens modes to choose from:
- 360: The camera captures stitched-in-camera, fully spherical video or photos in equi-rectangular format
- Front Only: Camera captures video or photos in traditional fixed-frame format using the front lens only.
- Rear Only: Camera captures video or photos in traditional fixed-frame format using the rear lens only.
- RAW: The camera records unstitched, fully spherical video or photos. Two files of high resolution video or photos are produced, one for each lens.
Microphones: The camera is equipped with four microphones, one on each side, to capture 360-degree spatial audio. You can connect a wireless Bluetooth external microphone or headset, if desired. There are three microphone modes to choose from:
- Spatial: Using all four built-in microphones, you can record spatial 360-degree, location-specific audio. You can not select Spatial audio when recording using the front only or rear only lens modes.
- Rear Only: The camera records mono audio using only the rear microphone. This mode may be needed when wind noise is a problem.
- Off: Turns off both internal and external microphones so you can record video without audio.
Memory Cards: The camera will accept microSD, microSDHC, and microSDXC cards up to 128 GB. UHS-I-compatible memory cards with a Speed Class rating of 3 or higher are required. A list of recommended cards can be found here.
1" LCD: The VIRB 360 features a 1" x 0.42" LCD for displaying the menu and changing camera settings. The display is visible in direct sunlight, and provides details about the current camera settings, and the remaining memory card space.
G-Metrix: The VIRB 360 is equipped with a Garmin GPS/GLONASS receiver, a barometer, accelerometer, and orientation sensors. With its ability to wirelessly connect to external sensors (ANT+) and other Garmin devices, the camera can capture performance data during your activity and display it along with your recorded video. Using Garmin's free software (for mobile and desktop), you can overlay gauges, graphs, and other data on your video, showing your speed, acceleration, G-forces, heart rate, etc. in real time.
Video Recording: The VIRB 360 records video in one of three modes:
- Video: For capturing full-motion video using one or both lenses.
- Slow-Mo: Uses a high frame rate to capture slow-motion video. (Not available using the 360 lens mode)
- Time-Lapse: Captures individual video frames at longer intervals to create a time-lapse video. You can select from the following frame rates: 2 sec, 5 sec, 10 sec, 30 sec, 60 sec. Playback is performed at 30 frames per second.
Video Mode Specifications:
|Video Mode||Lens Mode||Resolution||Frame Rate|
|Video||360||4K (3840 x 2160)||30 fps|
|Front Only |
|1080p (1920 x 1080)||60 fps|
|RAW||5K (2 files at 2496 x 2496) |
5.7K (2 files at 2880 x 2880)*
|Front Only |
|1080p (1920 x 1080)||120 fps|
|RAW||5K (2 files at 2496 x 2496)||60 fps|
|Time-lapse||360||4K (3840 x 2160)||User-defined interval (2, 5, 10, 30, or 60 seconds)|
|Front Only |
|1080p (1920 x 1080)|
|RAW||5K (2 files at 2496 x 2496)|
* 5.7K resolution mode requires the Garmin VIRB mobile app.
Still Image Recording: In addition to video recording, the VIRB 360 can record still images (JPEG) in three image sizes: 15 MP - 5640 x 2816 pixels (Stitched 360), 2 x 9MP: 3008 x 3000 (Unstitched 360, 2 files), and 3 MP - 1920 x 1440 (Traditional, single lens). There are five Photo Modes to choose from, using the camera or the Garmin VIRB app:
- Single Shot: Allows you to take a single photo.
- Burst Shooting: Burst mode lets you rapidly take a series of photos over a short period of time. You can select speeds of up to 20 shots per second.
- Auto Exposure Bracketing:
- Time Lapse: You can take a series of single photos at a regular interval over a period of time. You can choose a preset interval (1, 2, 5, 10, 30, or 60 seconds).
- Travelapse: Similar to regular Time Lapse, but a distance interval (0.01 miles and up) is selected instead of a time interval.
Self Timer: You can activate the Self Timer if you wish to delay taking a photo. You can select the following delay times for the Self Timer: 2, 5, 10, 30, or 60 seconds.
Voice Control: The VIRB 360 can be controlled through spoken voice commands. The camera supports English (US and UK), French, Italian, German, Spanish, Swedish, Japanese, and Mandarin. The following voice commands can be used: "Start Recording," "Stop Recording," "Remember That" (inserts a bookmark in the video), "Take a Picture," "Enable Wi-Fi," and "Disable Wi-Fi."
Remote Control: You can start and stop recording, and take pictures on the VIRB 360 using another compatible Garmin device with ANT+ wireless technology, such as the VIRB remote control, or other Garmin wearable products with VIRB controls.
Control via Wi-Fi: The built-in Wi-Fi (802.11 b/g/n) lets you remotely view and control photo and video recording using a compatible smartphone running the free Garmin VIRB mobile app. The app connects using a direct Wi-Fi connection between the devices, or a LAN connection. The VIRB 360 is also compatible with NFC (Near-field Communication) with the "N-mark" wireless connection point located on the top.
VIRB Mobile App: The VIRB Mobile App lets you edit, stabilize, share, and add data overlays to your videos. When connected, you can use your smartphone as a remote control for the camera, see live 360-degree video of what you're recording, use a VR device to view your videos in Virtual Reality, or livestream your videos to YouTube or Facebook. The app is available in the Apple App Store for iPhone 4S and later and requires iOS 10.0 or later. The Android version is available at the Google Play store for Android devices running 4.4 and newer, Galaxy S3 or later, Galaxy Note 3, Moto X, Moto G, HTC One, Nexus 4/5, and later.
HyperFrame Director Mode: A new feature of the VIRB 360, HyperFrame Director mode lets you reframe video content that you have recorded. As the director, you can change the perspective by using smooth camera pans and impressive wide angle views. You can even create tiny "planets," by framing your images with the sky.
VIRB Edit: The VIRB Edit desktop app combines video footage from your VIRB 360 action camera with GPS and other data from a compatible Garmin device. The software allows you to review and edit your footage, adjust G-Metrix gauges, add music and seamlessly switch between camera angles. When using multiple cameras, VIRB Edit can synchronize your footage using embedded GPS timestamps to let you seamlessly switch between multiple camera angles with the click of a button. A new feature of VIRB Edit allows you to stitch RAW footage, and provide smooth stabilization to content captured at 5.7K. VIRB Edit is available for PC (requires Windows 7 or later) and Mac (OS X El Capitan 10.11 or newer).
USB / HDMI Ports: The VIRB 360 has a Micro-B USB port and a Micro HDMI port under a locking waterproof flap. A USB cable is included for charging the battery and transferring photos and videos captured on the microSD card. You can use a Micro HDMI to output live video from the camera to an external device for broadcasting or streaming.
Power Requirements: The VIRB 360 comes with a 3.8-volt, 1250mAh, 4.7Wh Lithium-Ion rechargeable battery, which provides just over 1 hour of battery life.
Mounting: The VIRB 360 comes with two clip-on cradles for mounting the camera to a tripod or other action camera mounts. The tripod cradle has a standard 1/4"-20 tripod thread, while the action camera mount can be used with mounting hardware from GoPro and other brands.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Why did you buy this?
Going on a once in a lifetime trip and did not want to miss anything while recording. Not everything happens in front of you. I am hoping this will do the trick. [ Mike Jul 10, 2017 ]
Frequently Compared With
Garmin VIRB 360
4K 360° action cam$799.99
4K Ultra HD action cam with Wi-Fi® and GPS
GoPro Fusion 360
360-degree Ultra HD action camera with Wi-Fi®$599.99Price break, Save $100.00$699.99
15.3-megapixel ultra-compact camera with 4K video recording, Wi-Fi® and Bluetooth®$699.99