Yuneec Typhoon Q500 4K RTF Quadcopter Bundle
Aerial drone with 4K camera, flight controller, and other accessories
Yuneec Typhoon Q500 4K RTF Quadcopter Bundle - 3-axis gimbal mount keeps airborne video smooth and clear
Yuneec Typhoon Q500 4K RTF Quadcopter Bundle - A closer look at the controls on the included ST10+ Ground Station controller
From Yuneec: CGO Steadygrip
From Yuneec: Q500 Typhoon 'Follow Me' Flight Feature
From Yuneec: Q500 Typhoon Calibration Tutorial
From Yuneec: Typhoon 4K Features & Compass Calibration
Yuneec Typhoon Q500 4K RTF Quadcopter Bundle - Spend 25 minutes in the air on a single battery charge
Yuneec Typhoon Q500 4K RTF Quadcopter Bundle - The gimbal mount also attaches to the SteadyGrip for filming on the ground
Yuneec Typhoon Q500 4K RTF Quadcopter Bundle - Follow Me mode keeps the drone and camera trained on you as you move
Our take on the Yuneec Typhoon Q500 4K RTF Quadcopter Bundle by Crutchfield's Eric Angevine
The Yuneec Q500 is ready to fly and shoot dazzling 4K video shortly after unboxing.
Get your drone in the air on day one
You probably want to get your drone in the air as soon as possible. No worries — this Yuneec Q500 4K bundle arrives with everything you need to get started recording breathtaking aerial videos as soon as you take ownership. When you open the box, you'll find the quadcopter, an Ultra HD camera with gimbal mount, Ground Station controller, SteadyGrip™ handheld camera mount, a battery with a nearly full charge, and a charger.
Wide-angle 4K video
Some adventures are so grand, they cry out to be filmed in full 4K resolution. The Yuneec Typhoon Q500 4K drone shoots crystal-clear Ultra HD footage at 30 fps from as high as 400 feet above your position. The drone's CGO3 camera is integrated into a specially designed 3-axis gimbal that keeps your video smooth and stable while the craft is in flight. Live video streams back to the touchscreen on the included ST10+ Ground Station controller, so you can see things from the drone's perspective from up to a quarter mile away.
Get hands-free footage with Follow Me and Watch Me modes
If you're kayaking, climbing a sheer rock face, or even taking a nice low-impact bike ride through the countryside, you won't have your hands available to pilot the drone. No problem. Watch Me mode allows you to set the camera's position, so it will hover in place and record your best jumps, golf swings, free climbs — whatever you have in mind. If you know you won't be stationary, use Follow Me mode to have the drone come along faithfully while you run, paddle, or surf. The Typhoon Q500 4K can stay aloft for up to 25 minutes on each battery charge, and it won't just drop like a stone when juice runs low. It's programmed to warn you first, descend slowly, hover, and then set down safely. The drone sets up its own "geofence" so it can't fly more than 300 feet away from you — that way it's less likely to get lost.
Slow it down
If you have your drone following you around the skate park or ski run, you'll probably want to be able to slow down some of the more exciting tricks and jumps. The CG03 camera also shoots 1080p video at 120 fps, so you can see exactly how you defied gravity. You can also take the camera off of the quadcopter and mount it on the included SteadyGrip mount to see things from ground level. You'll also have control over crucial settings like resolution, white balance, and exposure settings, so you can make sure each shot looks as good as possible.
- drone ships ready-to-fly with CGO3 camera, ST10+ Ground Station, SteadyGrip™ camera mount, one rechargeable battery, and charger
Typhoon Q500 Drone:
- ascends up to 400 feet above ground level
- flies up to 25 minutes on a single battery charge
- 10-channel 2.4 GHz radio control transmitter with 5.8 GHz video downlink
- 16-9/16"W x 9-1/2"H
- weight: 40 oz.
CGO3 Gimbal Camera:
- 12-megapixel Ultra HD camera with steadying gimbal mount
- shoots 4K video at 30 fps, full HD video at up to 120 fps
- 1/2.3" CMOS image sensor
- shutter speed: 1/30-1/8000 sec.
- 115° field of view
- transmits video to included Ground Station controller from up to 1,640 feet away
- built-in microphone
- detaches easily for use with SteadyGrip mount
- 1-7/16"Wx 4-1/2"H x 2-15/16"D
- weight: 6.9 oz.
ST10+ Personal Ground Station:
- offers pinpoint remote control of the drone and camera
- navigational alerts include sounds and vibrations
- 5-1/2" viewing screen
- screen resolution: 854 x 480 pixels
- touchscreen simplifies menu access
- rechargeable battery built in
- CGO SteadyGrip lets you mount CGO3 camera for handheld use on the ground
- 1 rechargeable battery
- USB battery charger keeps one battery charging while the other is in use
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- Note: The FAA requires users to register their drones. State and/or local laws may also restrict the use of this drone in certain areas.
What's in the Box:
- Gimbal camera (pre-installed)
- Ground controller
- 8 propellers
- 16GB microSD card
- microSD-to-SD card adapter
- Rechargeable battery
- Battery charger
- AC power supply
- AC power cord
- AC/USB charger
- 12V power adapter
- microUSB-to-USB cable
- USB interface/programmer cable
- Charging harness
- LCD screen sun shade
- Propeller installation tool
- User Manual
- Quick Start Guide
- SteadyGrip Guide
- Customer Support Card
- "Know Before You Fly" card
- "WARNING!" card
Typhoon Q500+ 4K Quadcopter: The Yuneec Typhoon Q500+ 4K Quadcopter is a superior modular, integrated aerial and ground imaging solution. It features the ST-10+ 5.5" Android touchscreen personal ground station controller and the CGO3 4K 3-axis gimbal camera capable of taking 12.4 megapixel still photos and ultra-HD 4K videos. The included SteadyGrip extends the use of the gimbal camera from the sky to the ground. With the CGO3 APP, whatever is shot can be viewed on your Smartphone with the same control of video FPS, video start/stop and still photos as found on the ST-10+. With the Q500+ 4K, it's never been easier to capture amazing photographs and video footage for a wide variety of uses.
ST10+ Ground Controller: The ST10+ Ground Controller wirelessly communicates with the Typhoon Q500+ 4K Quadcopter via RF (2.4GHz; 10-channels); up to 1,312.34' (400 meters). It features an Android-based operating system and is equipped with joystick controllers, as well as a 5.5" capacitive touchscreen display (854x480) that allows for changing various settings and viewing real-time telemetry data and streaming video during flight. Real-time telemetry data made available on the screen during flight including flight mode, altitude, speed over ground, distance from home, camera status, GPS position coordinates, and aircraft battery status. You can double tap on the touchscreen to increase the size of the video viewing area to full-screen; double tap again to return to the standard size. It may be helpful to apply a suitable anti-glare screen protector material (sold separately) over the LCD screen to further improve viewing in sun light.
- Never attempt to fly the Yuneec Typhoon Q500+ 4K Quadcopter via the live video feed on the ST-10+ Controller. There's a slight lag in the CGO3 Gimbal Camera's streaming video downlink to the ST10+ Controller. The controller's touchscreen should only be used for aligning camera shots.
- Streaming video from the CGO3 Gimbal Camera to the ST10+ Controller and to a separate smartphone/tablet (or another Yuneec transmitter/controller) at the same time is not recommended, as it will result in a very significant lag in the video downlink.
CGO3 4K 3-Axis Gimbal Camera: The included CGO3 4K 3-Axis Gimbal Camera communicates wirelessly with the ST10+ Ground Controller via RF (5.8GHz); up to 984.25' (300 meters). With ultra-high definition (UHD) resolution, four times higher than HD, the camera delivers high-quality images with the ability to capture slow motion 1080p/120fps and 12.4 megapixel photos. Capture life in 4K/30fps with incredible detail and unparalleled realism. Controls expected by professionals include adjustable video resolution and white balance, while light exposure can be controlled automatically or manually, including ISO and Shutter Speed. The camera also allows users to take pictures in RAW(DNG) and JPEG format. The 3-Axis gimbal assembly lets you set the pitch/tilt position (-90° to 0°) of the camera from approximately straight ahead to approximately straight down, and you anywhere in between. You must stop recording video in order to take still photos (cannot be done simultaneously).
- Sensor: 1/2.3" CMOS
- Effective Pixels: 12.4 Megapixels
- Camera Lens: 14mm/F2.8
- Electronic Shutter: 1/30 - 1/8000 s
- Field Of View: 110 degrees
Note: There's an adjustable counterbalance located on the rear of the CGO3 Gimbal Camera. This counterbalance has been adjusted at the factory to provide the best balance and performance overall so typically it should note need to be adjusted. However, if you find that the CGO3 Gimbal Camera is making any "buzzing" sounds while powered on, carefully twist the counterbalance in or out until the sound stops in order to achieve the best balance, performance and photo/video quality.
microSD Card Slot: The CGO3 Gimbal Camera stores its still image shots and recorded video images onto a microSDHC Class 10 memory card (up to 128GB). A 16GB microSD card is included, along with a microSD-to-SD card adapter.
SteadyGrip: The SteadyGrip is a Ground Imaging System. You can remove the CGO3 Gimbal Camera from the Quadcopter and mount it to the SteadyGrip for ground shots. The SteadyGrip features a camera pitch control wheel that allows precise camera angle control (30° to -85°) on the go. Requires eight 1.5V "AA" batteries (sold separately). Approximate run-time is 48 to 64 minutes.
CGO3 Smartphone App: Download Yuneec's CGO3 mobile app onto your Apple (iOS 7.0) iPod/iPhone/iPad or Android (OS 4.2) smartphone/tablet to customize the picture and video settings and get real-time image transmission, when using the SteadyGrip ground handle. The CGO3 app allows the SteadyGrip user to capture images, shoot videos and control the CGO3 gimbal camera.
GPS Receiver: The Yuneec Typhoon Q500+ 4K Quadcopter requires a suitable GPS signal/lock in order to start the motors and to be flown. This means it should only be operated outdoors in open areas that are free from people, vehicles and other obstructions. In order to acquire a suitable GPS signal/lock, it's critical that the GPS antenna installed in the top of Quadcopter always have a clear view of the sky (100° minimum clearance required).
Note: Loss of GPS signal/lock may result in a crash or even a "fly away".
No-Fly Zones: With a suitable GPS signal/lock it will not be possible to start the motors, takeoff or fly the Quadcopter in "No-Fly Zones" within a 4 mile (6.4 kilometer) radius of most major airports.
3 Flight Modes: The Yuneec Typhoon Q500+ 4K Quadcopter offers three flight modes - Smart, Angle, or Home.
- Smart Mode: Smart Mode is typically the best mode for first-time pilots. In Smart Mode, the Quadcopter will always move in the direction the right-hand control stick is pushed relative to the pilot and no matter which way the front/nose is pointed. So if you push the stick to the left, the Quadcopter will always move to the left, regardless of the direction the nose is pointing; even if it's spinning. This mode is helpful for pilots that lose orientation while flying.
- Angle (Pilot) Mode: Angle (Pilot) Mode is the mode preferred by experienced RC/drone pilots because the Quadcopter will move in the direction the control stick is pushed relative to the front/nose of the aircraft. So if you push the right-hand stick to the left, the Quadcopter will bank toward the left side and move to the left. This means if the front/nose of Quadcopter is pointing away from you it will move to the left, but if the front/nose is pointing at you the Quadcopter will move to the right.
- Home Mode: In Home Mode, the Follow Me function will fly back the Quadcopter in a straight line in the direction of the pilot's current location, and automatically land within 13-26' (4-8m) of the pilot. This can be very helpful for first-time pilots who aren't quite ready to land Quadcopter themselves. It can also be helpful for pilots that lose orientation during flight. When flying higher than 33' (10 meters), the Quadcopter will maintain the current altitude, fly back to the home point, then descend vertically until it lands. When flying lower than 33' (10 meters), the Quadcopter will climb to 33' (10 meters) while flying back to the home point, then will descend vertically until it lands. If the Quadcopter ever loses the link with the ST10+ Controller it will automatically enter Home Mode.
- The maximum altitude is limited to 400' (122 meters) AGL (Above Ground Level) in both Smart and Angle (Pilot) Mode. Although this limit can be adjusted using the USB interface/programmer and software Yuneec strongly recommends using the default limit at all times.
- Do not attempt to operate the Quadcopter in winds that exceed 8-12 miles per hour (13-19 kilometers per hour).
Additional Smart Mode Features: Additional Smart Mode features include - Follow Me Function, Watch Me Function, Smart Circle, and Geo-Fence
- Follow Me Function: The Follow Me function allows the Quadcopter to follow the pilot, adjusting its location to the location of the ST10+ Controller. This function is enabled when the ST10+ Controller's GPS positioning completes, and the Quadcopter is using shared GPS signal with the ST10+ Controller. At this time, you will see on ST10+ Controller's screen, the number of connected satellites. The Quadcopter's main LED Status indicator will blink white every three seconds. In the Follow Me Function mode, the Quadcopter will maintain a constant altitude and cannot detect obstacles. Pilots who change their altitude by moving to higher ground, during flight should be mindful of this.
- Watch Me Function: The Watch Me function enables the Gimbal Camera to keep tracking the ST10+ Controller no matter where and how it moves as the camera can automatically tilt its angle according to the controller. In the Watch Me Function mode, the pilot will always be kept in the frame wherever he or she moves.
- Smart Circle: In most cases the Smart Circle function will keep the Quadcopter from coming within approximately 26' (8 meters) of the pilot (as long as the pilot positions him or herself at least 26' (8 meters) behind the Quadcopter.
- Geo-Fence: The geo-fence is a virtual "barrier" that will keep the Quadcopter from traveling farther than 300' (91 meters). Although this limit can be adjusted using the USB interface/programmer and software, Yuneec strongly recommends using the default limit at all times.
Proportional Control Rate: The Proportional Control Rate Slider located on the right side of the ST10+ Controller allows you to set the overall climb/descend and directional control rates. Use the "TURTLE" position for the lowest control rates (best for first-time pilots and required when flying between 5000' and 8000' Above Mean Sea Level), and use the "RABBIT" position for the highest control rates (best for experienced pilots and can only be used when flying below 5000' AMSL). Or use a position in between if you prefer. The Typhoon Q500+ 4K Quadcopter has a maximum rotation rate of and a maximum roll angle of.
- Maximum Climb Rate: 2m/s
- Maximum Descent Rate: 3m/s
- Maximum Rotation Rate: 65°/s
- Maximum Roll Angle: 35°
- Maximum Flight Speed: 17mph (Angle Mode), 22mph (Follow Me/Watch Me)
Rechargeable Batteries: The Yuneec Typhoon Q500+ 4K Quadcopter is powered by lithium-polymer rechargeable battery (5400mAh) that provides 20 to 25 minutes of flight time. The battery can be recharged using the supplied charging base and the included AC power adapter or 12V DC power adapter. It will take 2 hours to fully charge the battery. The ST-10+ Ground Controller is powered by a pre-installed lithium-ion rechargeable battery (5200mAh) and can be recharged using the included USB/AC power adapter and microUSB-to-USB cable. It takes approximately 5.5 hours to fully charge this battery.
Neckstrap & Sunshade Accessories: You can install the included neck-strap to help hold and support the ST10+ Controller. You can also install the included LCD screen sunshade to help improve viewing in direct sunlight.
Graphical User Interface (GUI): You can download Yuneec's Graphical User Interface (GUI) software onto your Windows PC or Mac computer. The Graphic User Interface (GUI) is your tool for updating the Typhoon Q500+ 4K Quadcopter to the newest firmware. The GUI can also be used to check all the sensors that are installed on the Typhoon Q500+ 4K; including the GPS, pressure, temperature, compass, esc, and accelerometer. The Q500+ 4K Quadcopter will need to be connected to your computer via the included USB interface/programmer cable.
Firmware Updates: Click here to check for the latest firmware updates.
Warranty Note: Crash damage and "fly aways" are not covered under warranty.
FAA Rules & Regulations: Please familiarize yourself with the FAA's rules & regulations for unmanned aircraft systems before flying your drone. Click here for more details.
Typhoon Q500+ 4K Quadcopter:
- Width = 16.5625"
- Height = 8.3125"
- Depth = 16.5625"
- Weight = 60 oz
CGO3 Gimbal Camera:
- Width = 3.125"
- Height = 5.0"
- Depth = 4.25"
- Weight = 6.9 oz
ST10+ Ground Controller:
- Width = 7.4375"
- Height = 9.5"
- Depth = 4.5"
- Width = 2.75"
- Height = 8.8125"
- Depth = 7.1875"
- Weight = 7.05 oz
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.