Center channel speaker
Our take on the KEF Q650c by Crutchfield's Kramer Crane
The centerpiece of your Q Series home theater
Building a KEF Q Series surround sound system? Then the Q650c is the perfect choice for your all-important center channel. You'll enjoy a rock-solid center image and smooth, natural sound that lets you get the most out of movie soundtracks, TV shows, and sports broadcasts.
Use the KEF Q650c center channel speaker as part of a Q Series home theater system.
Room-filling dialogue thanks to Uni-Q® technology
KEF's patented Uni-Q technology places this speaker's 1" tweeter in the acoustic center of the middle-most 6-1/2" woofer. This concentric design allows sounds to originate from a single point source, making the "sweet spot" (the ideal listening position) much larger.
Here at Crutchfield, we've had the pleasure of hearing Uni-Q technology in person many times, with KEF's super-popular, award-winning LS50 speakers. Sit wherever you like — you'll enjoy detailed dialogue and immersive center stage special effects throughout your room.
Excellent bass from your center channel
The Q650c uses two different 6-1/2" woofers to deliver solid bass response. In addition to the 6-1/2" Uni-Q array, there's a separate 6-1/2" low-frequency driver.
The third 6-1/2" cone is a passive bass radiator, which moves in response to the two woofers to reinforce the low-frequency output. This gives you tight, tuneful bass that blends seamlessly with the tweeter for smooth, full-range sound.
Note: this speaker does not come with a grille.
- 1" vented aluminum dome tweeter with waveguide
- dual 6-1/2" aluminum woofers
- 6-1/2" aluminum passive radiator for enhanced bass performance
- Uni-Q® driver array technology creates a large listening "sweet spot"
- the tweeter and middle woofer are concentrically mounted to create a single "point source" of sound
- frequency response: 64-28,000 Hz (±3 dB)
- sensitivity: 87 dB
- impedance: 8 ohms
- recommended amplifier power: 15-150 watts
- bass-reflex (passive radiator) design
- 5-way binding post speaker terminals
- black satin matte finish
- no grille included
- 24-13/16"W x 8-7/16"H x 12"D (with rubber feet)
- weight: 30 lbs.
- warranty: 5 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- Center-channel loudspeaker
- 4 Self-adhesive rubber feet
- Owner's Manual
- Warranty Information
Features and Specs
|Midrange size (inches)||1|
|Woofer size (inches)||6-1/2|
|Frequency Response||64-28k Hz|
|Parts Warranty||5 Years|
|Labor Warranty||5 Years|
Uni-Q Driver Array: At the heart of the Q Series loudspeaker is the Uni-Q driver array. This signature innovation by KEF places the tweeter in the acoustic center of the midrange cone, with both drivers acting as a single point source. The result is a more detailed, accurate three-dimensional sound image, which is dispersed more evenly throughout the room than is possible with any conventional speaker. The Uni-Q driver array is made up of a 1" aluminum dome tweeter and a 6.5" aluminum midrange driver.
- 1" Aluminum Dome Tweeter: At the center of the Uni-Q driver array is a 1" aluminum dome tweeter that utilizes KEF's "tangerine" waveguide over the tweeter dome for ultra-wide dispersion. Further enhancements to the 1" aluminum dome tweeter is a damped loading tube and a cone-neck de-coupler. The damped tweeter loading tube reduces any harshness in the lower treble frequencies by gently terminating the sound produced from the rear. The cone-neck de-coupler reduces output in the cone breakup region to improve high frequency performance.
- 6.5" Aluminum Midrange Driver: The Uni-Q driver array's 6.5" midrange driver features an aluminum cone structure that has been engineered reduce cone breakup and improve midrange performance. The driver's optimized suspension allows more movement, better controlled excursion, and lower distortion for accurate bass performance. As well as allowing the driver's cone its full extension, KEF's ingenious Z-flex surround guides the sound from the tweeter across the surround without any disturbance or secondary radiation.
Low-Frequency Woofer + Auxiliary Bass Radiator (ABR): Flanking the Uni-Q driver array is a 6.5" bass woofer and 6.5" Auxiliary Bass Radiator (ABR). The same aluminum cone found in the Uni-Q's midrange driver is also used in the 6.5" woofer and ABR for excellent low-distortion midbass/bass performance. The woofer's vented magnet assembly on a rigid metal chassis and 50mm voice coil offers incredible power handling, while the new rubber rear suspension of the ABR provides greater excursion and a lower tuning frequency so that the speaker can play deeper and louder. Both drivers feature a large roll surround that allows a longer throw with less distortion at high sound pressure levels.
Sleek Cabinet Design: The sculpted Q Series finish epitomizes KEF's approach with seamless, sleek cabinets unblemished by visible fittings and joints. Q Series speakers are coated with a fine satin finish with matching driver colors. If you wish to conceal the drivers, an optional magnetically attached speaker grille (see Accessories Tab) is available and sold separately.
- Centered Array: To optimize the high resolution purity of the Q Series center channel speaker, the Uni-Q driver array is positioned to the center of the cabinet to reduce unwanted internal resonance and adding refinement to sonic clarity and detail. Expect to hear clear highs and detailed midrange with minimum distortion at any volume level.
- Isolated Sealed Chamber: The Uni-Q driver array is isolated in a closed chamber inside the speaker cabinet to reduce distortions. The closed box midrange cabinet design reduces the load on the Uni-Q midrange cone, increasing clarity and detail while delivering cleaner, punchier bass.
Gold-Plated Binding Post Terminals: On the rear of the speaker cabinet is a pair of heavy-duty, gold-plated binding post terminals that will accept bare wire (up to 10AWG), pin-connectors, spade-lugs, and banana plugs (single only). Plastic inserts must be removed from the binding posts to use banana plugs.
Mounting & Placement Options: The center channel speaker should be centered below or above your television. It can be placed on a speaker stand, AV stand, shelf, tabletop, or other flat surface. The included self-adhesive rubber feet protect your furniture and add approximately 0.1875" to the overall height of the speaker.
Note: There are no included brackets, keyhole slots, or threaded inserts to accommodate wall mounting.
Q Series: Q Series speakers by KEF deliver natural, accurate, high-resolution sound. First introduced in 1991, the multiple award-winning Q Series has long delighted music lovers and audiophiles with outstanding sound quality and innovative design. The Q Series, now in its 8th iteration, brings high resolution sound with more depth and more clarity. The Q Series consists of three floorstanding speakers (Q550/Q750/Q950), two bookshelf speakers (Q150/Q350), center channel speaker (Q650C), and Dolby Atmos speaker (Q50A) - all sold separately.
Optional Powered Subwoofer: A KEF Kube series powered subwoofer (sold separately) is the perfect addition to the Q Series loudspeakers.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.