MartinLogan Crescendo X
Powered speaker with DTS Play-Fi® and Bluetooth® (Black)
Item # 839CRSNDOX | MFR # CRESXGBD
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the MartinLogan Crescendo X by Crutchfield's Jeff Miller
Conversation-piece looks, keep-'em-talking performance
The MartinLogan Crescendo X (pictured in walnut) has a clean, distinct look and delivers powerful, detailed sound.
There's a lot to love about the first-generation MartinLogan Crescendo. We're smitten with the unique look, the rich sound, and the incredible amount of lisening options — both wired and wireless. The company's new Crescendo X powered wireless speaker takes everything that had us swooning over the original and adds DTS Play-Fi®.
DTS Play-Fi lets you play music wirelessly from your phone, tablet, or PC through the Crescendo X speaker's impressive array of drivers. A large, front-firing woofer and two adjacent Folded Motion™ tweeters each have their own dedicated Class D amplifier for 100 watts of total power. This speaker also works together with other Play-Fi components for an easy-to-use whole-house system.
DTS Play-Fi opens up a whole world of music — in every room
Download the free DTS Play-Fi app and you'll get quick-and-easy instructions for getting started. The app is available for Android™, iOS®, and Kindle Fire, along with Windows PC operating systems. It gives you intuitive control over your music selection, playback, and volume.
Play music stored on your computers, music servers, and mobile devices — including high-quality lossless files. You also have access to music services like Spotify®, Pandora®, and SiriusXM, along with over 37,000 Internet radio stations. You can send the same song to other DTS Play-Fi speakers or play a different song in every room. Best of all, the MartinLogan Crescendo X can work with other Play-Fi devices from other manufacturers, for system building flexibility.
Other convenient listening options
Play-Fi's not the only game in town either. MartinLogan included many other ways to play your audio source of choice. With virtually any device, you have options:
- Pair it with your Bluetooth-compatible smartphone or tablet.
- Use Apple AirPlay® to wirelessly play music from Apple devices and computers running iTunes®.
- Connect just about anything that has a headphone jack to the 3.5mm aux input.
- Connect your TV with the supplied optical digital cable and mini-Toslink adapter, which plugs into the 3.5mm aux input.
- Hook it up to you network via a wired Ethernet connection.
Room-filling sound and expandability
MartinLogan's innovative Folded Motion tweeters result in quicker response and lower distortion.
A sturdy MDF enclosure houses the speaker's powerful drivers. This cabinet dampens sound-muddying vibrations and comes finished in your choice of piano black or walnut real wood veneer. At the heart of the Crescendo X sits a front-firing 5" x 7" polypropylene cone woofer housed in its own ported chamber, which gives the driver room to move and breathe. You'll enjoy deep bass and accurate midrange. And if you need more bass, MartinLogan has you covered — a subwoofer output lets you connect a separate powered sub (not included).
Detail and precision from the Folded Motion tweeters
MartinLogan's innovative Folded Motion tweeters are found on either side of the woofer. Each tweeter uses a pleated diaphragm that works like an accordion by "squeezing" air to create sound. It requires about 90% less excursion than a typical dome tweeter, resulting in quicker response time and much lower distortion. The tweeters are also angled outward to provide a wider soundstage. Music sounds intricately detailed, but smooth and effortless, without a trace of harshness.
- high-performance powered speaker with a striking curved design
- DTS Play-Fi software allows for easy app control and streaming music to multiple Play-Fi speakers in different rooms
- other listening options:
- Bluetooth 4.0 for compatible smartphones, tablets, and computers
- Apple AirPlay® for wireless playback from Apple portable devices and computers
- two Folded Motion tweeters for high output levels and low distortion, angled outward to create stereo sound separation
- custom-designed 5" x 7" polypropylene woofer
- ported cabinet for enhanced bass
- 24-bit/48kHz digital signal processor/preamplifier
- amplifier power: 100 watts class D (50 watts for woofer, 2 x 25 watts for tweeters)
- frequency response: 50-23,000 Hz (±3dB)
DTS Play-Fi Software:
- allows speaker to communicate with other Play-Fi components and speakers
- built-in dual-band Wi-Fi allows connection to your wireless home network and wireless communication with other Play-Fi devices (recommended maximum of 16 devices on a network)
- free Play-Fi app for Apple, Android, Kindle, and Windows PC offers easy music selection and playback
- plays music stored on device
- supports Spotify® Connect, Pandora®, Rhapsody, Amazon Prime, TIDAL, SiriusXM, and thousands of free Internet radio stations (subscription required for some services)
- DLNA support for streaming music from compatible networked computers and NAS drives
- multi-zone synchronous playback (same music plays in multiple zones simultaneously) or multi-stream playback (music individually selected for each player)
- easy wireless setup using your smartphone, tablet, or PC
- plays MP3, M4A, FLAC, and WAV files; sampling rates up to 24-bit/192kHz
- not compatible with protected files with digital rights management (DRM)
Inputs and General Information:
- digital/analog 3.5mm aux input
- digital optical cable and mini-Toslink optical adapter included
- USB Type-A input for battery charging
- Ethernet jack for connection to a wired home network
- mono RCA subwoofer output
- black anodized aluminum wireless remote
- 25-11/16"W x 8-1/16"H x 7-3/4"D
- weight: 23 lbs.
- warranty: 2 years with product registration
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- Active wireless speaker
- Grille (pre-installed)
- 69" AC power cord
- 2 "AAA" batteries
- 6' Optical digital cable
- Mini-toslink adapter
- User's Manual
- Quick Setup Guide
- Product Registration Card
- Spotify brochure
MartinLogan Crescendo X Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Built-in Class-D Amp w/ Advanced DSP: At the core of the MartinLogan Crescendo X is an advanced 24-bit/48kHz DSP (digital signal processing) based preamplifier in conjunction with a powerful class-D closed-loop 100-watt (140-watt peak) amplifier. Crescendo X's digital amplifier produces sound with accuracy, resolution, and, detail. 50 watts x 1 channel is delivered to the 5"x7" cone woofer and 25 watts x 2 channel is delivered to the dual 1" Folded Motion tweeters.
Two-Way Driver Design: The MartinLogan Crescendo X premium wireless speaker system create creates a powerfully detailed sound from its two 1" Folded Motion tweeters and one 5"x7" polypropylene woofer for a room-filling experience. Low and High frequencies are seamlessly blended together between the drivers for a natural sound.
- Two 1" Folded Motion Tweeters: The signature Folded Motion tweeters utilize extremely low mass diaphragms that "squeeze" air, and require significantly less excursion than the typical 1" dome tweeter, which drastically minimizes distortion while providing a lightning fast response time. The increased surface area also provides a wide, yet controlled sound dispersion to create a realistic and carefully etched sound stage.
- 5"x7" Polypropylene Woofer: The custom designed front-firing 5x7-inch matte black polypropylene cone woofer features an extended throw drive assembly in a non-resonant asymmetrical chamber format for deep, accurate bass.
Solid MDF Enclosure: The MartinLogan Crescendo X is crafted with a solid MDF enclosure that strengthens and intensifies low-frequency bass performance while minimizing vibrations. The dense cabinet enclosure, wrapped in either high-gloss piano black paint or real-wood walnut veneer, floats atop a sturdy aluminum stand and looks comfortably at home in any décor where aesthetics are as important as sound quality. Designed to fit a modern décor, MartinLogan utilizes high-quality materials and finishes to give Crescendo X a furniture and artwork like appearance.
Aux Input (Digital or Analog): The unit's Aux Input can be used as either a digital optical (Toslink) or analog input. This input will accept either a standard 3.5mm stereo headphone style or mini-Toslink plug. A special mini-Toslink to Toslink cable or mini-Toslink adaptor is required for digital optical connection. The digital input supports 2ch PCM only (not compatible with Dolby Digital or DTS). This input can only be played back at the speaker location and cannot be used for a multiroom application.
Subwoofer Output: The Crescendo X features an optional subwoofer output via an analog RCA connection. This option, not typical of tabletop speaker systems, customizes the crossover between the Crescendo X and your powered sub (sold separately) to give you the ability to supplement the low-frequency performance of the system.
Simple Controls: For across the room control, the Crescendo X includes an IR remote control built from black anodized extruded aluminum. The Crescendo X's remote control quickly adjusts volume, selects inputs, and controls your media content (basic playback functions include Play/Pause only). The remote also allows you to easily switch between two discrete acoustic modes: "Bass +" mode (for those moments requiring a little extra thunder) and a "Normal" mode that restores normal levels. In addition, front-mounted control panel allows quick access to power, input and volume controls.
DTS Play-Fi Wireless Technology: Martin Logan's Crescendo X employs DTS Play-Fi wireless technology for wireless sound that is reliable and high-quality. DTS Play-Fi combines DTS audio and WiFi wireless technology to wirelessly stream high-definition "lossless" audio with no impact on sound quality. DTS Play-Fi will stream pure, bit-for-bit, lossless audio, for uncompromised quality sound; up to 16-bit/48kHz. DTS Play-Fi has a range of up to 100' from your wireless router.
Note: All DTS Play-Fi enabled products work seamlessly together, so there's no hassle adding more speakers, or choosing more than one audio brand like Martin Logan, Definitive Technology, Polk Audio, Phorus, Wren, etc..) in your home.
Wired or Wireless Network Connection: The Martin Logan Crescendo X wireless speaker system uses your home's network for whole-house audio entertainment. The Crescendo X connects to your home's wireless network via WiFi (802.11 b/g/n; 2.4/5GHz); a dual-band "N" or better router is recommended for the most reliable wireless network connection. For a wired connection, the Crescendo X speaker features an Ethernet RJ-45 jack to connect the speaker to your home's network.
Simple Setup: There are two methods for connecting the DTS Play-Fi wireless speaker system to your home network. You can perform WiFi setup via the free DTS Play-Fi on your Apple iOS/Android mobile device or Windows PC (this setup allows you to connect multiple Play-Fi device at once to your network). You can also use the WPS button on the speaker if your wireless router supports WPS (this setup only allows you to connect one Play-Fi device at a time to your network).
DTS Play-Fi App: Download the free DTS Play-Fi app onto your Apple iOS (7.0+) device, Android (2.2+) smartphone/tablet, or Windows (7/8) PC for easy and convenient management of your music from your mobile device or computer. From the app you can initially set up the Crescendo X speaker system, as well as add, link, and control all your DTS Play-Fi speakers. You'll be able stream music directly from the system's built-in music online services, or music on your mobile device or PC to multiple DTS Play-Fi enabled speakers through out your home. The app lets you browse your music by artist, album, genre, or title; and provides album art. You can choose to play the same music in each zone or a different song in each room.
Variety of Music Sources: The Crescendo X wireless speaker system with DTS Play-Fi supports a variety of music sources that can be streamed to the Crescendo X and other DTS Play-Fi speakers.
- Mobile Device (Apple iOS + Android): You are able to wirelessly stream stored music and music apps on your Apple iOS (7.0+) or Android (2.2+) device to the wireless speaker system through the free DTS Play-Fi
- Online Music Services: From the DTS Play-Fi app on your mobile device or computer, you can share and listen to Pandora, Spotify Connect, SiriusXM, TIDAL, Amazon Music, Songza, Rhapsody, and Internet Radio. While the DTS Play-Fi app is free, not all the online music services are (subscription & purchase fees may apply).
- Computer Audio: The Crescendo X is DLNA compliant for playback of various music files stored on your Windows PC (7/8) or DLNA-certified NAS drives connected to your home network. MAC OSX computers and laptops require third party software to be visible on the network (Twonky, Plex, Servio etc.) as they do not support DLNA. Use the DTS Play-Fi app on your mobile device or computer to access these music files.
Supported Music Files: The Crescendo X wireless speaker system with DTS Play-Fi supports music formats such as MP3, AAC, FLAC, and WAV. The system will recognize music files up to 24-bit/192kHz and wirelessly stream these files at up to 16-bit/48kHz (CD quality sound). Some down-sampling may occur to ensure virtually lossless distribution throughout a home network.
Maximum Number of Rooms/Zones Supported: You can play the same source in each zone or a different song in each room. Eight separate wireless source devices (smartphones, tablets, etc.), each with its own source, are supported simultaneously and any wireless source device can stream to eight DTS Play-Fi playback devices. Due to the bandwidth limitations of most wireless networks, no more than 16 wireless DTS Play-Fi products on a single WiFi network at one given time is recommended.
Point-to-Point Wireless Streaming Sources: In addition to DTS Play-Fi, the Crescendo X wireless speaker system also supports AirPlay for Apple iOS devices and Bluetooth for most Bluetooth-enabled source devices. AirPlay and Bluetooth can only be streamed directly to the Crescendo X speaker and cannot be streamed to other DTS Play-Fi speakers in a multiroom application.
- AirPlay (for Apple iOS): AirPlay lets you stream music directly from your iPod touch/iPhone/iPad or from your iTunes library on your PC or Mac computer to the MartinLogan Crescendo X, over your home network connection. By downloading Apple free Remote App onto your iPod touch/iPhone/iPad you don't even need to be in the same room as the Crescendo or your computer to play, pause, skip, and stop the songs in your iTunes music library. To use the AirPlay feature you need a Mac or Windows-based PC running iTunes (10.2.2 or later) connected to your wireless home network. Your iPod touch/iPhone/iPad must have iOS 4.3.3 or later installed and connected to the same wireless home network.
- Built-In Bluetooth (SBC/AAC/aptX): The MartinLogan Crescendo X features built-in Bluetooth 4.0 with support A2DP wireless audio streaming and apt-X lossless audio codec. You will be able to wirelessly stream stored music and music apps from your Bluetooth-enabled source device to the Crescendo X wireless speaker system. In addition to supporting Bluetooth's standard SBC codec, the Crescendo X supports AAC for better quality audio streaming from Apple iOS device and aptX for CD-quality streaming from Android OS 4.0+ devices. Playback functions, music navigation, and song/artist information will still need to be handled from your Bluetooth-enable device.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
1 question already asked
Ron, I honestly don't know. I do not have access to a Klipsch to listen. The ML has an excellent sound range, but it can be a bear to seat up. Definitely buy from Crutchfield. Their techs are amazing and they will stick with you when you have problems! [ BECKY Dec 12, 2017 ]