Home theater receiver with HDMI switching
Item # 158STDG810 | MFR # STRDG810
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Sony STR-DG810 by Crutchfield's Dave Bar
The STR-DG810 delivers compelling 360° surround sound for all your movies, TV shows, and music. Sony also designed it to take full advantage of the latest audio and video gear from high-definition video to XM Radio and portable music players.
HDMI switching with simplified system operation
If you've got multiple high-def components, you'll love the 'DG810's 1080p-compatible HDMI switching. Hook up three high-definition video components and switch easily between them, while maintaining pristine digital purity for the picture and sound. Plus, this future-ready receiver's HDMI connections will allow simplified one-touch operation with upcoming compatible Sony A/V components. Just press play on the remote, and watch as the receiver, television, and disc player all automatically power up and switch to the appropriate settings.
More digital entertainment options
The STR-DG810's "digital media port" lets you play music stored on your iPod® or PC when you connect additional Sony accessories. An optional PC adapter allows you to send tunes to the receiver through your home's wired or Wi-Fi® computer network. This receiver is also XM Ready (separate XM Mini-Tuner package and an XM subscription required) and adds advanced decoding that lets you listen to XM's HD surround music channels. Plus you can use Sony's special digital processing mode to enhance the sound of your MP3s and other compressed music files.
- 100 watts x 6 into 8 ohms (20-20,000 Hz) at 0.09% THD
- Dolby® Digital EX, DTS-ES®, DTS Neo:6, and Dolby Pro Logic® IIx, and Digital Cinema Sound processing
- Bravia Theater Sync for simplified operation with compatible Sony components
- XM Satellite Radio Ready (requires XM subscription and optional XM Mini-Tuner package)
- Neural Surround decoder for XM's HD Surround channels
- Digital Cinema Auto Calibration for easy speaker setup (microphone included)
- Digital Media Port for adding an optional Sony iPod dock or wireless PC music player
- Digital Cinema Sound modes
- Portable Audio Enhancer for MP3s and other digital music files
- A/V Sync helps align out-of-sync audio and video for digital sources
- built-in AM/FM tuner
- multibrand remote
- 16-15/16"W x 6-3/16"H x 13-1/8"D
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- 1080p-compatible HDMI digital audio/video switching (3 in, 1 out)
- component video switching: 3 in, 1 out
- 4 audio/video inputs, including:
- 1 front-panel input with composite video
- 3 rear-panel inputs with composite video
- 2 audio-only inputs
- no phono input
- digital inputs: 2 optical, 1 coaxial
- 2 sets of main speaker outputs
- binding post speaker terminals (spring clip connectors for speaker B output)
What's in the Box:
- Black AM/FM/6.1 Channel receiver
- Wireless remote control (RM-AAP016)
- 2 "AA" batteries
- Automatic calibration microphone
- AM loop antenna
- FM wire antenna with attached slip-on coax connector
- Operating Instructions
- Quick Setup Guide (English/French)
- HDMI Control Guide
- Important Safeguards
- On-line product registration information
- Warranty sheet
- Sheet on correct loudspeaker connections using the binding posts (taped to top of receiver)
This is one of the best systems I have ever owned for function and features. That is based on Kenwood systems I used to buy.
Rob, Chesapeake, VA
Sony STR-DG810 Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
Bravia Theater Sync: Sony's Bravia Theater Sync feature allows you to easily manage select BRAVIA televisions and Sony HDMI audio and video components with a single remote. By connecting Sony components that are compatible with the HDMI Control function with a HDMI cable, operation is simplified in the following ways.
- One-Touch-Play: When you playback a component such as a DVD/Blu-ray Disc Player, the recover and the TV are turned on automatically and switch to the appropriate HDMI input.
- System Audio Control: While watching TV, you can select to output the sound from the TV speaker or the speakers connected to the receiver.
- System Power Off: When you turn off the TV, the receiver and connected components are also turned off simultaneously.
1080p HDMI Inputs: The Sony receiver features three 1080p HDMI inputs and one 1080p HDMI output. The receiver transmits both audio and video through the HDMI monitor output to your TV or you can choose for the HDMI monitor out terminal to only output video to your television. Video signal that is input through HDMI input can only be output through HDMI monitor output terminal.
Note: The receiver does not offer video upconversion.
Digital Media Port: Sony's proprietary DMP allows you to integrate a wide variety of music into your home theater system. The Digital Media Port allows you to connect optional DMP accessories to play music from a PC, Bluetooth devices, Network Walkman music players or iPod music players. You can connect the following adapters (sold separately).
- DMP iPod Dock (TDM-IP1): Allows you to dock and play your iPod through the DMP compatible BRAVIA audio receiver. For added convenience, the dock also charges your iPod's battery. The DMP iPod dock is compatible with iPod nano (1st and 2nd generation), iPod (4th and 5th generation) and iPod mini.
- DMP Media Port Wi-Fi client (TDM-NC1): Allows you to stream digital music from your PC to the DMP compatible BRAVIA audio receiver and view song information on your connected television or monitor. Requires PC with Microsoft Window XP SP2 operating system or newer.
- DMP Bluetooth Interface (TDM-BT1): Allows you to wirelessly receive and play music through the DMP compatible BRAVIA audio receiver from your Bluetooth compatible notebook, MP3 player or mobile phone. The Bluetooth interface has a range up to 30 feet.
- DMP Walkman Cradle (TDM-NW1): Allows you to dock and play your Sony NW-S705F or NW-S703F Network Walkman through the DMP compatible BRAVIA audio receiver. For added convenience the cradle also charge your Walkman's battery.
Digital Cinema Sound (DCS): Digital Cinema Sound is the concept name of the surround technology for home theater developed by Sony. DCS uses the DSP (Digital Signal Processor) technology to reproduce the sound characteristics of an actual cinema cutting studio in Hollywood. When played at home, DCS will create a powerful theater effect that mimics the artistic combination of sound and action as envisioned by the movie director. The DCS soundfields used in this receiver include:
- Cinema Studio EX A: reproduces the sound characteristics of the Sony Pictures Entertainment "Cary Grant Theater" cinema production studio, great for watching most any type of movie
- Cinema Studio EX B: reproduces the sound characteristics of the Sony Pictures Entertainment "Kim Novak Theater" cinema production studio, ideal for watching science fiction or action movies with lots of sound effects
- Cinema Studio EX C: reproduces the sound characteristics of the Sony Pictures Entertainment scoring stage, ideal for watching musicals or films where orchestra music is featured in the soundtrack
- Portable: reproduces a clearer sound image from your portable audio device; ideal for MP3 and other compressed music
- Hall: reproduces the acoustics of a classical concert hall
- Jazz Club: reproduces the acoustics of a jazz club
- Live Concert: reproduces the acoustics of a 300-seat live concert house
Surround Modes: This receiver incorporates a wide variety of surround modes to bring you maximum enjoyment from your audio and video software. The surround modes include:
- Stereo: 2-channel or multi-channel
- Dolby Pro Logic: Pro Logic, Pro Logic II (music, movie, game), Pro Logic IIx (music, movie, game)
- Dolby Digital: 5.1Surround, 6.1 EX Surround
- DTS: 5.1 Surround, 6.1 Matrix ES, 6.1 Discrete ES, DTS Neo6 (cinema, music), DTS 96/24
- Digital Cinema Sound: Cinema Studio Ex. A, Cinema Studio Ex. B, Cinema Studio Ex. C, Headphone Theater
- Neural Surround: XM Satellite Radio 5.1 surround decoding
- Music: Hall, Jazz Club, Live Concert
Auto Format Direct: The Auto Format Direct (A.F.D.) mode presents the sound as it was recorded or encoded without adding any surround effects. When you select A.F.D. Auto, the receiver automatically detects the type of audio signal being input (Dolby Digital, DTS, or standard 2-channel stereo) and performs the proper decoding if necessary. You can also select Pro Logic, Pro Logic II Movie, Pro Logic II Music, or Multi Stereo to apply the appropriate decoding for movies or normal stereo sources such as CDs.
Note: The receiver will generate a low frequency signal for output to the subwoofer when there is no LFE signal.
Dolby Pro Logic IIx: Dolby Pro Logic IIx furthers the matrix decoding of Dolby Pro Logic II to decode audio signals recorded on two channels into up to 6.1 playback channels, including the surround back channel. Dolby Pro Logic IIx also allows 5.1-channel sources to be played in up to 6.1 channels. The mode can be selected according to the source. There are 3 Dolby Pro Logic IIx modes; Music, Cinema and Game.
Surround Back Decoding: This function lets you select the decoding mode for the surround back signals of the multi-channel input stream. When you select "SB Auto" and the input stream contains 6.1-channel information, the appropriate decoder is applied to decode the surround back signal (Dolby Digital EX, DTS-ES Matrix, or DTS-ES Discrete decoder). When you select "SB On", Dolby Digital EX is applied when the output channel is 6.1 and Dolby Digital EX or Dolby Pro Logic IIx is applied when the output channel is 6.1. When "Off" is selected, no surround back decoding is performed.
Neural Surround: Neural Surround has been adopted by XM Satellite Radio for digital radio broadcasts of XM HD Surround recordings and live events in surround sound. Neural Surround employs psychoacoustic frequency domain processing which allows delivery of a more detailed sound stage with superior channel separation and localization of audio elements.
Two Channel Mode: The 2 channel button sets the receiver to power only the front left and right speakers, no surround and no subwoofer. 2 channels sources bypass the sound field processing and multi channel sources are down-mixed to 2 channels.
Analog Direct: The Analog Direct feature amplifies the source without any processing, only the volume and front speaker balance adjustments are active.
Speaker Level Adjustment: You can use the Level menu to adjust the balance and level of each speaker. These setting are applied to all soundfields.
- Front Balance: Left +1 to +10, Center Balance, Right +1 to +10
- Center Level: -10dB to +10dB in 1dB increments
- Surround Left Level: -10dB to +10dB in 1dB increments
- Surround Right Level: -10dB to +10dB in 1dB increments
- Surround Back Level: -10dB to +10dB in 1dB increments (if only 1 surround back speaker is connected)
- Subwoofer Level: -10dB to +10dB in 1dB increments
Dynamic Range Compressor: This feature allows you to compress the dynamic range of the sound track. You can select standard or maximum compression, or off (only works with Dolby Digital sources).
Effect Level: The Effect Level feature lets you adjust the presence of the surround effect for soundfields selected with the Movie or Music mode or Headphone Theater mode. You can choose from Minimum effect, Standard effect or Maximum effect.
Digital Decoding: You can choose auto decoding or PCM for the digital audio inputs. Auto will decode the signal in its original form (Dolby Digital, DTS, PCM, etc), PCM decodes the signal to 2-channel.
Speaker Setup: The Speaker Setup menu allows you to set the size, distance from your seating position, and location of the speakers connected to the receiver. The following adjustments are available:
- Subwoofer: Yes, No
- Front Speakers: Large, Small
- Center Speaker: Large, Small, No
- Surround Speakers: Large, Small, No
- Surround Back Speaker: Yes or No
- Front Speaker Distance: 3 to 22 feet in 1 foot steps
- Center Speaker Distance: range is from the front speaker distance setting to 5 feet closer than the front speaker distance setting
- Surround Left Speaker Distance: range is from the front speaker distance setting to 15 feet closer than the front speaker distance setting
- Surround Right Speaker Distance: range is from the front speaker distance setting to 15 feet closer than the front speaker distance setting
- Surround Back Speaker Distance: when 1 surround back speaker is used, range is from the front speaker distance setting to 15 feet closer than the front speaker distance setting
- Surround Speaker Position: set based on the location of the surround speakers, side low, side high, behind low, behind high
- Crossover Frequency: set crossover point for speakers set to small, choose 40 to 160Hz in 10Hz steps.
Auto Calibration: The STR-DG810 is equipped with Digital Cinema Auto Calibration Technology which uses the included microphone to automatically check the speaker connections, adjust the speaker output levels, and calculate the distance from each speaker to the listening position. The microphone has an 18' cord attached that plugs into the microphone input on front of the receiver and has a threaded insert on the bottom so it can be mounted to a tripod.
Note: The auto calibration feature does not measure or adjust the subwoofer level output.
A/V Sync: The audio output can be delayed so that the time gap between the audio output and the visual display is minimized. This is especially helpful when you are using a large LCD or plasma TV or a projection TV. The adjustment range is 0 to 200 ms in 10 ms steps.
Equalizer: You can adjust the tonal quality (bass and treble level) of the front speakers from -10dB to +10dB in 0.5dB steps.
Headphone Sound Fields: When headphones are connected, you can select the following sound fields:
- Headphone 2CH: outputs the sound in stereo, 2-channel sources bypass the sound field processing, multi-channel surround formats are downmixed to 2 channels
- Headphone Direct: outputs analog signals with no sound field or tone processing
- Headphone Multi: outputs the analog signals input to the Multi Channel Input jacks
- Headphone Theater (Digital Cinema Sound): allows you to experience a theater-like environment
Tuner: The STR-DG810 has 30 presets each for AM, FM, and XM, for a total of 90. In addition to preset and auto tuning, stations can be tuned directly by frequency or XM channel number.
XM Ready: You can take advantage of the variety and sound quality of XM Satellite Radio by connecting the optional XM Mini Tuner and Mini Tuner Home Dock and subscribing to the XM Satellite service. XM offers over 150 channels of music, news, sports, and talk radio and even has weather and traffic information in several major markets. The channel number, channel name, channel category, artist name, and song title are listed on the STR-DG810's display. Up to 30 XM stations can be stored as presets and recalled in the same way AM and FM stations are.
Input and Station Naming: You can enter a name of up to 8 character for the receiver's inputs and preset stations and display it on the receiver's display. This is convenient for labeling the jacks with the names of the connected components.
Sleep Timer: The unit may be set to automatically turn off after 30, 60, 90, or 120 minutes.
Multi-brand Remote: The supplied remote is pre-coded to control this Sony receiver, Sony video CD players, Sony DVD recorders, Sony tuners, Sony hard disc recorders, Sony Blu-ray disc recorders, and Sony PSX. Additionally it can be programmed to control many brands of CD players, DAT decks, MD recorders, cassette decks, LD players, VCRs, DVD players, TVs, DSS receivers, and cable boxes.
Front Panel Inputs: The STR-DG810 features a set of front panel inputs with left and right RCA audio jacks and a RCA composite video jackt.
Speaker Outputs: All the speaker outputs are binding post connectors, including front A left and right, center, surround left and right, and surround back - except the Front B speaker which are spring clips. The binding posts are not 5-way because a plastic collar prevents their use with spade lugs, but they will accept bare wire, single banana, and dual banana plugs. The front A and B speaker pairs are wired in parallel.
XM: This proprietary terminal allows you to connect an optional XM Mini Tuner Home Dock.
SACD Input/Output: No sound is output from the receiver when you play a Super Audio CD on an SACD player connected to the Optical digital input or Coaxial digital input. You must connect an SACD player via the analog input/output labeled "SA-CD/CD In".
HD Component Video Pass-Through: This unit features three component video inputs and a component video monitor output. These jacks feature an 80 MHz bandwidth, making them capable of passing high-definition video signals. The receiver's two component video inputs can be assigned to specific sources such as VIDEO 1, SACD, AUX, MD/Tape, etc.
Note: This receiver does not contain an S-video input or output.
1080p HDMI Inputs: The receiver is equipped with three HDMI inputs for connecting HDMI-equipped DVD players and Blue-Ray disc players. They are capable of carrying uncompressed digital audio and video up to 1080p. There is also an HDMI output to feed the signals to an HDTV or projector.
Assignable Digital Inputs: The receiver features one coaxial digital input and two optical digital inputs. All the digital audio jacks will support 32 kHz, 44.1 kHz, 48 kHz, and 96 kHz sampling frequencies. These digital inputs are assignable.
Headphones: When headphones are plugged into the full-size 1/4" jack on the front panel, all the speakers are automatically muted.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.