Monitor Audio C180-T2
In-ceiling stereo-input speaker
Our take on the Monitor Audio C180-T2 by Crutchfield's Kramer Crane
Rich stereo playback from a single speaker
Want clear, detailed music but just have room for a single speaker? Then check out Monitor Audio's C180-T2. This high-quality in-ceiling speaker uses a dual-tweeter design to deliver the complete stereo mix without the need for an additional speaker.
The C180-T2 is perfect for kitchens, hallways, or any other room where you want music from a single in-ceiling location. You'll enjoy solid bass from the beefy 8" woofer, and smooth highs from two 1" gold dome C-CAM® tweeters — the same tweeter Monitor puts in their higher-end custom-install speakers.
If this is a do-it-yourself install, check out my guide to installing in-ceiling speakers, along with our selection of in-wall speaker wire. You can paint the included magnetic grille to blend in with your décor.
- stereo-input speaker plays both the left and right channels of the stereo mix
- two pivoting 1" gold dome C-CAM® (Ceramic-Coated Aluminum/Magnesium) tweeters
- 8" MMP® II (Metal Matrix Polymer) woofer
- unobtrusive frame and low-profile grille for discreet installation
- recommended amplifier power: 30-120 watts
- frequency response: 50-25,000 Hz
- sensitivity: 90 dB
- impedance: 6 ohms (each input)
- patented Tri-Grip® mounting system ensures maximum surface seal for better bass and midrange clarity
- paintable removable magnetic steel grille
- cutout diameter: 9-3/4"
- overall diameter: 11-1/4"
- mounting depth: 4-7/8"
- weight: 6.7 lbs.
- warranty: 5 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- In-ceiling speaker
- Paint skim
- Installation Guide
- Important Safety Instructions
- Cutout Template
Features and Specs
|Quantity in Package||Single|
|Woofer Composition||Metal Matrix Polymer|
|Power Range (Watts)||30-120|
|Connector Type||Spring post|
|Bi-Amp Inputs||Stereo input|
|Parts Warranty||5 Years|
|Labor Warranty||5 Years|
Two-Way Driver Design: The Monitor Audio C180-T2 in-ceiling speaker utilizes a two-way driver design, featuring two pivoting 1" C-CAM Gold Dome tweeters and a proprietary 8" MMP II woofer. Engineered for excellent detail resolution and full-range sound, the C180-T2 will deliver great sound for distributed audio applications.
- Dual 1" C-CAM Gold Dome Tweeters: The gold dome tweeters are formed from a ceramic-coated aluminum/magnesium alloy, gold anodized to a specific thickness for ideal stiffness and damping characteristics. The new profile and surround geometry have been developed using advanced modeling tools, to provide the optimum qualities for accurate sound reproduction. The new design moves the first order of breakup to beyond 35kHz, producing a linear response way beyond audibility, which matches the wide frequency bandwidth available from HD music and cinema sound formats. The gold dome is thinner, lighter, more rigid and therefore more efficient than domes made from other materials which are prone to distortion in the audio band.
- 8" MMP II Cone Woofer: The 8" MMP II (Metal Matrix Polymer) cone woofer has a polypropylene base loaded with metallic particles to offer a rigid and responsive structure. It is manufactured using a sophisticated high-pressure injection process, which modulates cone thickness at critical points to optimize stiffness and consistency, resulting in a superior sonic performance.
Tweeter Control: The 1" C-CAM tweeters are able to pivot (up/down and left/right) to direct the sound to your desired listening area. A HF (High Frequency) level adjustment also aids in high frequency performance. With the High Frequency Level Control set to "0", the in-ceiling speaker will give you a neutral sound. Switching to the "+3db" setting will give the high frequencies a boost, giving you more clarity and presence in the treble. If you want more prominence in the bass frequencies, switch to the "-3db" setting. The HF level adjustment switch is located on front of the baffle behind the grille.
Stereo Spring-Post Terminals: The Monitor Audio C180-T2 is outfitted with two sets of speaker terminals which allow the C180-T2 to be used as a single stereo speaker. These gold-plated spring-post terminals accept bare wire (up to 10AWG), banana plugs (sing/dual), and angled pin-connectors.
Stereo Application: Because of its stereo inputs and dual tweeters, the C180-T2 in-ceiling loudspeaker is perfect for distributed audio applications. Since the C180-T2 reproduces both stereo channels from a single location, it will deliver outstanding performance from a wide variety of mounting locations where a pair of stereo speakers would be impractical.
"Trimless" Magnetic Grille: The C180-T2 in-ceiling speaker features a steel-mesh grille that is held in place by high strength Neodymium magnets covering the entire speaker for a true "trimless", stealth look. The grille is paintable to blend with the living environment; additional scrim material is provided for trouble free painting.
Tri-Grip Fixing System: Monitor Audio's innovative Tri-Grip fixing system is easier to install than conventional clamping schemes and provides 3x the surface area and a better surface seal, maximizing bass response and midrange clarity. The Tri-Grip fixings are made from a tough re-enforced polymer, giving a secure installation.
- Cutout Size: 9.75" (diameter)
- Mounting Depth: 4.875"
- Ceiling Thickness: 0.125" to 1.625"
Protective Covers: The Monitor Audio C180-T2 features a dust protection cover that is designed to prevent the ingress of dirt or dust into the driver and crossover.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.