Furman Elite-20 PFi
20-amp power line conditioner and surge protector
Our take on the Furman Elite-20 PFi by Crutchfield's Steve Kindig
The Elite-20 PFi's outlets accept both 20-amp and standard 15-amp AC plugs. Its power cord must be plugged into a 20-amp receptacle.
Protection for 20-amp circuits
If you have a heavy-duty 20-amp circuit powering your audio/video system, the Furman Elite-20 PFi is the missing link between the AC wall socket and your gear. Its twelve rear-panel AC outlets can accommodate 20-amp or standard 15-amp AC plugs. To maximize the protection and performance of your system, Furman includes exclusive technologies originally developed to meet the extreme AC power demands of professional recording, film, and broadcast studios.
Continuous power monitoring plus advanced noise filtering
The Elite-20 PFi constantly monitors incoming AC, and if it detects a significant overvoltage condition, it automatically shuts off power to all connected equipment. In the case of a sudden voltage spike, many surge suppressors are designed to "take a bullet" and sacrifice internal parts to save your gear. It's a noble effort, but it leaves your system out of commission while you send the suppressor back to the factory for repair or replacement. Furman's suppressor circuitry can withstand multiple high-voltage spikes and keep on protecting your gear.
Power Factor Technology: Like a turbocharger for your amplifiers
Wide-open dynamics are essential for truly exciting sound. To cleanly reproduce instantaneous peaks or "transients" cleanly, from a cymbal crash to a car crash, an amplifier needs lots of high-current power. During these moments, amplifiers — including those in receivers and powered subwoofers — may require more current than is available from your home's AC line. Solution? Plug your amplifiers into the Elite-20 PFi's high-current outlets. Furman's unique Power Factor Technology creates a "current reservoir" capable of delivering over 55 amps of peak current. Your amplifier gets the current it needs when it needs it most.
See and hear the signal, not the noise
The Elite-20 PFi's wide-bandwidth filtration reduces the AC line noise that can mask subtle ambient sounds and fine picture detail. Twelve AC outlets on the back panel are divided into three banks, to isolate your system's digital and video circuits from analog components and amplifiers. This helps prevent noise created by one component from affecting the power going to your other plugged-in equipment. These outlets feature hospital-grade connectors that grip your gear's AC plugs snugly and securely.
- 13 AC outlets with three isolated banks (rear-panel outlets are compatible with 15-amp and 20-amp AC plugs):
- one bank of 4 outlets (2 unswitched, 2 switched)
- one bank of 4 outlets with additional ultrasonic filtering for digital or video components (2 unswitched, 2 switched)
- one bank of 4 high-current outlets with Power Factor Correction peak current charging (2 unswitched, 2 switched with delayed turn-on)
- one unswitched front-panel convenience outlet
- 7' AC power cord with NEMA 5-20P plug (requires a 20-amp circuit and a 5-20R T slot receptacle)
- rear-panel AC outlets use hospital-grade connectors to grip plugs firmly
- Series Multi-Stage Protection surge suppression system can withstand multiple catastrophic voltage spikes
- Extreme Voltage Shutdown circuitry monitors incoming AC and automatically cuts off power to connected equipment if overvoltage is detected
- Power Factor Technology provides a "current reservoir" for amplifiers, receivers, and subwoofers (over 55 amps peak charge)
- wide-bandwidth EMI/RFI noise filtering for clearer sound and picture
- Ultrasonic Bi-filtering isolates digital and video circuits from analog components
- 3 sets of coaxial RF connections for cable TV, satellite, and antenna
- RJ-11 phone line input and output
- 12-volt trigger input with bypass button
- maximum current rating: 20 amps
- 2 retractable front-panel LED lamps to illuminate an equipment rack or cabinet
- 17"W x 4-1/8"H x 17-1/2"D
- weight: 18 lbs.
- warranty: 3 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- Power Conditioner
- 7' AC power cord with NEMA 5-20P plug (requires 5-20R T-slot receptacle)
- 2 Piece power cord bracket
- 2 Machine screws
- 2 Rack mount brackets
- 6 Rack mount machine screws
- 6 Flat washers
- 6 Spacers
- Owner's guide (English/ French/ Spanish)
- Warranty registration card
Furman Elite-20 PFi Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|Total AC Outlets||13|
|Powerline Network Compatible||No|
|Connected Equipment Guarantee||$500 deductible|
|Parts Warranty||3 Years|
|Labor Warranty||3 Years|
Power Factor Technology: Although it's rare for amplifiers to draw more than 4 Amps continuously, for superior performance it is vital that an amplifier's AC filter have low impedance and the capability to accommodate peak current demands far in excess of the RMS (continuous) current rating. The Elite-20 PFi's transient Power Factor Technology circuitry effectively creates a current reserve in excess of 55 amps (peak) that is cleaner and faster than a dedicated line from your local power station, benefiting any connected amplifiers' performance.
EMI and RFI Filtration: EMI and RFI noise entering your A/V system through the AC power line couples to the components and masks low level signals, compromising performance. This low level content is critical because it relays the harmonics and ambience in audio, and the depth and clarity in video. Furman's exclusive Ultra-Linear Filtering Technology dramatically reduces noise, ensuring consistent peak operation regardless of load conditions or the time of day. The Elite-20 PFi also has inter-component isolation and nearly twice the noise filtering of the Elite-15 PFi.
Series Multi-Stage Protection (SMP): SMP is maintenance-free surge suppression, offering AC protection without sacrificing itself in the event of a catastrophic surge. The SMP circuit senses voltages so high that operation is impossible and turns the power off before damage can occur; if the voltage exceeds 140 volts or falls below 85 volts, power is removed from all the outlets and the Extreme Voltage LED lights. The circuit will attempt to re-set automatically within 5 seconds, so manual re-set will only be necessary if there is a permanent wiring fault.
13 AC Outlets: The Furman Elite-20 PFi features one front-panel unswitched AC outlet and 12 rear-panel outlets. The outlets include:
- Video Bank: The video bank has four 3-prong outlets, two switched and two unswitched (always on). In addition to the Ultra-Linear filter, an ultrasonic filter specifically benefits video components (DVR, DVD player, projector, Plasma and LCD TVs, etc).
- Audio/Video Bank: The audio/video bank has four 3-prong outlets, two switched and two unswitched. EMI and RFI noise is removed by the Ultra-Linear filter.
- Amplifier Bank: The amplifier bank has four 3-prong outlets, two switched and two unswitched. This bank offers Power Factor Technology with a low impedance filter and current reserve in excess of 55 amps (peak) to accommodate amplifier demands.
- Front Panel Outlet: The Elite-20 PFi features a convenient unswitched 3-prong AC outlet on the front-panel. EMI and RFI noise is removed by the Ultra-Linear filter.
Front Panel Lamps: The Elite-20 PFi features two retractable front panel LED lamps, offering an easy way to see the equipment below it, even when your theater lights are off.
12V Trigger: The six rear-panel switched outlets are engaged using the 12 volt trigger input, a 3.5mm mono mini-jack. The two switched outlets in the amplifier bank are delayed five seconds before turning on to avoid any potentially damaging speaker thump. Additional components can be triggered to turn on using the 12 volt output jack, also a 3.5mm mono mini-jack. If you'd rather not utilize the 12V trigger circuit, a bypass switch is located adjacent to the input and output jacks. By depressing this button, all outlets will operate when the front panel power switch is engaged.
Transient Voltage Surge Protection: The Elite-20 PFi features transient voltage surge suppression for standard telephone lines, coaxial cable TV lines, and coaxial satellite lines. There is one pair of phone input/output jacks and three pair of coaxial input/output jacks to protect your incoming phone, cable, and satellite lines. The coax jacks pass Both DC carrier signals and high bandwidth signals with an insertion loss of less than 0.1 dB. All the in-line surge suppressors feature Furman's exclusive Zero Ground Contamination technology; this aids in eliminating audio buzzing and the video hum bars that can result from typical in-line suppressors.
Rack Mount: Brackets are included to rack mount the Elite-20 PFi.
- Power: master power switch; turns all unswitched outlets on/off
- Dimmer: rotary knob; adjusts brightness of the LED lamps
- Extreme Voltage Indicator: lights to indicate the incoming voltage is too high or too low and all the outlets have been disconnected
- Power LED: a blue LED bar in the center illuminates when the master power switch is on and voltage is applied to the unswitched outlets
- Remote LED: illuminates to indicate the 12 volt input trigger has turned on the switched outlets
- Bypass: the bypass switch overrides the 12 volt remote trigger, turning on the switched outlets with the master power switch
- AC Outlet: front panel convenience outlet (standard 3-prong NEMA 5-15); unswitched (always on)
- Video Outlets: four Ultra-Linear filtered and ultrasonic filtered outlets (3-prong NEMA 5-20R T-Slot); 2 switched, 2 unswitched
- Audio/Video Outlets: four Ultra-Linear filtered outlets (3-prong NEMA 5-20R T-Slot); 2 switched, 2 unswitched
- Amplifier Outlets: four Power Factor Technology outlets (3-prong NEMA 5-20R T-Slot) with a low impedance filter; 2 unswitched, 2 switched with a five second power on delay
- 12 Volt Trigger Input: 3.5mm mini-plug; connects to a remote trigger device that uses a DC output to trigger startup
- 12 Volt Trigger Output: 3.5mm mini-plug; connects to a remote component that uses a DC input to trigger startup
- Phone Jacks: input and output for standard telephone line
- Coaxial Jacks: 3 pair of threaded F-type coax terminals
- NEMA 5-20P: The included power cord has a NEMA 5-20P plug (three-prong with one of the blades turned 90°), so it requires a 20-amp NEMA 5-20R receptacle.
- Line Voltage: 120VAC, 60Hz
- Current Capacity:
- Input: 20 amps
- Output: 16-20 amps RMS (continuous, all outlets combined)
- Linear Noise Attenuation: Transverse
(Differential) mode (from 0.05 to 100 ohm line impedance)
- 5 kHz - 100 kHz: >40 dB
- 100 kHz - 1 GHz: >80 dB
- Power Consumption: 12 watts for display and control circuits (plus actual load)
- Over-voltage Shutoff Threshold: 140 volts AC
- Under-voltage Shutoff Threshold: 85 volts AC
- Weight: 18 pounds
Connected Equipment: Furman Sound's Connected Equipment Warranty covers equipment that is damaged by a transient voltage while properly connected through the Furman Elite-20 PFi to a properly wired AC power line with a protective ground in an indoor location. Furman's Connected Equipment Warranty is limited to the amount of the deductible on the Purchaser's personal property insurance policy, up to $500.00. The Connected Equipment Warranty is in effect for a period of three years.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Product reviews from the Crutchfield Labs
by Video Team
Learn about Furman's Elite and Reference series power protection units, and how to pick the right one for your system.
1 question already asked
2 answers In my den there is a 5-20R T slot receptacle but it is on a 15 amp circuit. I have no idea why this is but it is there. If I were to plug a Furman Elite-20 PFi into a 15 amp circuit would I be damaging the 20 PFI or my equipment that would be plugged into the Furman? On a 15 amp circuit would I get any benefit from using a Furman Elite-20 PFi? Thanks and advise when you can. Dean [ Dean Apr 08, 2016 ]
I have my on a dedicated 20-amp circuit. I do not think that a 15-amp circuit will damage the Furman or your components. Of course, you will be limited to 15 amps. [ MICHAEL Apr 08, 2016 ]
Dean, No, you would not damage the unit. You just wouldn't get the benefit of the additional current due to the extra 5 amps. [ KEVIN Apr 08, 2016 ]
Looking for more? Check out the next model in this lineup.
Frequently Compared With
Furman Elite-20 PFi
20-amp power line conditioner and surge protector
Furman Elite-15 PFi
Power line conditioner and surge protector
Power line conditioner, surge protector, and voltage regulator
Furman IT-Reference 20i
20-amp power line conditioner and surge protector with isolation transformer