82" Smart LED 4K Ultra HD TV with HDR (2017 model)
Our take on the Samsung UN82MU8000 by Crutchfield's Steve Kindig
Life-sized images you'll love
The 82" UN82MU8000 delivers a mega-sized dose of visual realism with a combination of 4K and HDR (High Dynamic Range). Relying on tried-and-true TV engineering rather than expensive cutting-edge technologies like quantum dots, the UN82MU8000 produces life-sized images that will make your current TV literally pale in comparison.
High peak brightness is an essential ingredient to deliver the full intensity of HDR-enhanced video sources, and the UN82MU8000 gets as bright as Samsung's top-of-the-line model from last year. Even in a bright room this set's picture looks ultra-crisp and colorful.
Stunning picture quality with 4K and HDR — and every other source
The '82MU8000's vibrant picture deserves the highest quality signals you can feed it. For now and the forseeable future, the best available 4K source is a 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray player. Hollywood will release hundreds more movies on Ultra HD Blu-ray this year, and most of those discs will also be HDR-enhanced. There are 4K/HDR web streaming options, too, including Netflix®, Amazon Instant Video, and Vudu.
But you don't need native 4K content to be knocked out by the UN82MU8000's picture. Samsung's engineers made 4K upconversion a top priority while developing this set's video processing circuitry. UHD Upscaling automatically upconverts any signal to match the screen's 4K resolution. All your current video sources will look better than ever.
Simple to hook up, easy to use
Samsung has a nifty way of simplifying hookup, especially if you plan to wall-mount your TV. Instead of connecting your Blu-ray player, cable box, and other video sources directly to the UN82MU8000, you connect them to the supplied One Connect Mini switching hub. A single cable connects the compact hub to the TV, for an uncluttered look.
When it comes to smart TV features, Samsung's set of streaming video and music apps is hard to beat. And new, improved iOS® and Android® apps will let you receive live notifications from the UN82MU8000 and help you locate content.
The smart remote's built-in microphone and the TV's voice control function really simplify everyday use. Your voice is all you need to turn the TV on or off, change channels, or adjust the volume. You can also navigate menus and launch apps, all without taking your eyes off the TV screen.
Unsure if your network can handle demanding tasks like 4K streaming? Check out our wireless router buying guide. If you haven't upgraded your hardware in the last few years, a new router will offer big improvements in range and speed.
Use the Sanus MountFinder™ to see a list of wall-mounts that work with your specific TV.
- 82" screen (measured diagonally)
- Ultra High Definition TV with 4K screen resolution (3840 x 2160 pixels)
- Motion Rate 240 blur reduction (120Hz refresh rate)
- 4K Color Drive Extreme for increased color range and brightness
- 10-bit panel can display over one billion colors
- 4K HDR Extreme (HDR 10) for extended picture contrast and brightness when viewing HDR content from connected sources or streamed via the TV's built-in apps
- LED edge backlight with UHD Dimming and Precision Black local dimming for excellent contrast and black levels
- HDR 1000 peak brightness is 1000 nits
- UHD Upscaling upconverts high-def and standard-def video to near-4K quality
Video Source Compatibility:
- watch streamed 4K video sources like Netflix®, Amazon Instant Video, and YouTube (requires Internet speed of at least 20Mbps)
- DIRECTV 4K Ready DIRECTV subscribers with the Genie Whole-Home HD DVR can enjoy 4K service and full DVR features without an additional receiver
- tuner receives over-the-air HDTV broadcasts (antenna required)
- Clear QAM tuner decodes unencrypted digital cable signals up to 1080i without a set-top box (subscription required to receive cable channels)
Smart TV Features:
- dual-band 802.11ac Wi-Fi® provides fast, reliable wireless streaming
- Netflix Recommended TV offers a unique feature set that makes Netflix even easier to use and enjoy
- AllShare™ video and music streaming from a DLNA-compatible Windows® PC
- TV-to-mobile and mobile-to-TV wireless mirroring
- free downloadable apps for iOS® and Android™ let you use a compatible smartphone or tablet as a remote control
Connections (on One Connect Mini hub):
- 4 HDMI 2.0a
- RF input for antenna/cable signals
- optical digital audio output (can pass Dolby® Digital/DTS multichannel or 2-channel audio from connected sources)
- Ethernet port on TV for a fast, reliable wired network connection
- 3 USB inputs for connecting a camera or thumb drive (2 on hub, 1 on TV)
- hub dimensions: 8"W x 7/8"H x 4-11/16"D (depth includes connector)
- includes 9-3/4-ft. proprietary cable to connect hub to TV
- built-in down-firing speakers (40 watts total power)
- Bluetooth® wireless audio streaming to a compatible speaker or set of headphones
- OneRemote with built-in microphone for voice control
- cable management: back of TV and pedestal feet provide channels for neatly routing cables to the TV
- detachable pedestal feet ("footprint" is 64-1/8"W x 15-1/4"D)
- wall-mountable (bracket not included)
- 72-1/8"W x 41-1/2"H x 2-7/16"D (45-1/8"H x 15-1/4"D on stand)
- weight: 99 lbs. with stand; 96.8 lbs. without stand
- warranty: 1 year parts & labor in-home service or pick-up for service
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- 82" LED-LCD TV
- One Connect Mini
- 9.75' Proprietary cable
- 5' AC power cord
- 2 Pedestal feet
- Smart Remote (BN59-01266AA)
- 2 "AA" batteries
- Terminal cover
- Cable cover
- 4 Wall spacers
- User Manual
- Quick Setup Guide
- One Connect Diagram
- Regulatory Compliance Statements/Important Safety Instructions
Great picture, nice features. Love this TV. Make sure you measure your stand, the legs are out to the ends of the screen, rather then in the center on this one. I had to buy a new wider stand to set it on.
Shelby, Wichita, KS
Samsung UN82MU8000 Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
4K/HDR Color Drive Extreme: The Samsung UHD TV combines 4K resolution with HDR (High Dynamic Range) video capability for the ultimate in picture quality. 4K delivers 4x higher resolution than current 1080p high-definition TVs, so you'll see more on TV than ever before with over 8 million individual pixels (3,840 x 2,160) compared to about 2 million (1,920 x 1,080) on your 1080p HDTV. HDR provides greater brightness, color, and detail. As a result, you get a truly immersive experience for all your favorite movies and TV shows.
- UHD Remastering Engine & Upscaling: The Samsung UHD TV has a display resolution of 3,840 x 2,160 (4K) and will display all video at that resolution, regardless of input signal, thanks to UHD upscaling. UHD Upscaling delivers the complete Ultra-HD picture experience with a proprietary process including signal analysis, noise reduction, UHD upscaling, and detail enhancement to seamlessly upconvert SD, HD, or full-HD content to Ultra-HD-level picture quality. Its UHD Remastering Engine optimizes color, contrast, and image detail by processing the image characteristics prior to them being displayed on the screen.
- HDR 1000 w/ HDR Plus: The Samsung UHD TV features the ability to provide a premium High Dynamic Range (HDR) experience, with 1,000 nit HDR minimum for a higher level of contrast between light and dark images. HDR delivers a much higher level of contrast between light and dark to produce an image that is more realistic and closer to what the content creator imagined. This increased contrast reveals the subtle nuances of the image, from detailed blacks and shadows to the brightest whites and colors, plus greater depth. You can even set the TV to HDR Plus mode in order to view non-HDR content with higher brightness, greater color, deeper black levels, & better overall contrast for a picture that looks "HDR-like".
- HDR10+ (Future Firmware Update): Samsung and Amazon Video announced the introduction of HDR10+. HDR10+ elevates the HDR10 open standard with the addition of Dynamic Tone Mapping. HDR10+ incorporates dynamic metadata that allows the TV to adjust brightness levels on a scene-by-scene or even frame-by-frame basis. With the ability to display outstanding contrast with detailed highlights and a richer range of colors, HDR10+ produces images that are much closer to the director's intent.
- This TV complies with the CTA 4K Ultra High-Definition Connected definition requirements. The trade organization known as the Consumer Technology Association (CTA) is considered an industry authority on engineering standards for consumer electronics in the United States. Visit www.cta.tech for more information.
- Please use a premium high speed HDMI cable with 18 Gbps and above to view 4K HDR content.
Peak Illuminator Pro: The TV's Peak Illuminator Pro lets you see extended shades of colors that pop, with greater dynamic range, improved contrasting detail, and darker scene highlights that come alive.
Triple Black: The Samsung UHD TV incorporates three unique technologies to bring out enhanced detail with deeper blacks, letting you see greater detail even in the shadows of dark scenes.
- Ultra-Clear Panel: Its Ultra-Clear Panel also absorbs ambient light better, reduces reflections and lets the picture come to life. It displays deeper blacks and enhanced contrast for crystal clarity and reduces glare, so you can see clearly and enjoy more detail.
- Ultra Black Technology: Samsung's Ultra Black technology uses and outer layer of nano-sized ridges along the LCD panel to better absorb or re-direct light which in turn prevents reflection and glare.
- Precision Black Local Dimming: Precision Black Local Dimming dims LEDs behind the darkest area of the picture for greater contrast and darker blacks, while the brighter elements remain as bright as they should be for sharper contrast.
MR 240 + Auto Motion Plus: The Samsung UHD TV combines its 120Hz native panel refresh rate with Samsung's proprietary MR 240 & Auto Motion Plus image processing technology, which is faster and more responsive than conventional image processors, as it interpolates intermediate frames to smooth out the image. MR 240 & Auto Motion Plus helps to remove blur and judder from scenes with large amounts of rapid movement to provide a clearer picture. MR 240 & Auto Motion Plus reduces blur so that action movies, sports and video games have enhanced clarity. Advanced panel and unique backlight technology combine with proprietary algorithms to reduce the response time and yield a more accurate image reproduction with faster onscreen motion.
HDMI 2.0a Inputs: The Samsung UHD TV is equipped with four HDMI 2.0a inputs (located on the One Connect Mini) to connect to your Blu-ray player, Satellite/Cable receiver, Game Console, and/or AV receiver. Any HDMI input can also be used to connect a PC to this TV. All HDMI inputs are 4K compatible, HDCP 2.2 compliant, and support 4:4:4 color subsampling.
- Supported Resolutions: Supported video resolutions include 4k (24/60Hz), 1080p (24/60Hz), 1080i, 720p, 480p and 480i video signals.
- HDCP 2.2 Compliant: HDCP 2.2 compliance makes the TV fully compatible with the latest copyright protection standard for 4K video transmission from Ultra-HD Blu-ray players and 4K Satellite//Cable providers.
- Color Subsampling: With 4:4:4 color subsampling, luminance (brightness) and chroma (color) are sampled at the same rate; resulting in an RGB color palette as big as the video sampling rate for a video image with more total colors, plus greater color accuracy and detail. 4:2:2 (50/60p) and 4:2:0 (50/60p) are also supported by all HDMI inputs.
Note: This TV does not contain analog composite or component video inputs.
Picture Controls: You can make the following adjustments for an optimum picture. The TV's picture adjustments can be made for a particular AV input or for all inputs.
- Picture Sizes: You can choose one of the following screen sizes - 16:9 (16:9 widescreen format), 4:3 (4:3 standard format), or Custom (magnifies or shrink 16:9 pictures vertically and/or horizontally). The Picture size is fixed for video and still images displayed natively in 3840 x 2160 (4K).
- Picture Modes: Picture Modes apply preset adjustments to the picture. Select from Dynamic (increases the brightness of the screen), Standard (suitable for a normal environment), Natural (useful for reducing eye strain), or Movie (darkens the screen and reduces glare).
- Manual Picture Settings: The TV has several options for manually adjusting the picture quality. Manually adjust Backlight (adjusts the brightness of the LED backlight), Contrast (increases or decreases the contrast between dark and light areas of the picture), Brightness (adjusts the brightness level of the picture) Sharpness (sharpens or dulls the edges of objects), Color (adjusts the color saturation of the picture), and Tint (adjusts the amount of green and red in a picture).
- Expert Settings: The TV also offers more advanced
picture adjustments for expert fine tuning. Fine tune the
- Contrast Enhancer: automatically balances the contrast to prevent excessive differences between bright and dark areas
- Color Tone: adjusts the overall color tone of the televisions using Cool/Normal/Warm 1/Warm 2 presets
- Color Space: adjusts the range of colors available to create the image
- White Balance: adjusts the color temperature for more natural picture colors)
- RGB: displays the Red/Green/Blue color for making find adjustments to the hue and saturation
- Gamma: adjusts the primary color (red/green/blue intensity)
- Digital Clean View: reduces any static and ghosting that may appear on the screen
- Film & Games Modes: The TV can be set to automatically sense and process film signals and adjust the picture from optimum quality. The television can also be set to Game mode, which is designed specifically for fast-action gaming, and not normal TV viewing. The TV's input lag is reduced from 62.5ms to 20.2ms when Game mode is activated.
Built-in HDTV Tuner: The included One Connect Mini features a built-in over-the-air HDTV (ATSC) and Clear QAM tuner, so you don't need a separate set-top box to receive and decode over-the-air HDTV/SDTV or unencrypted Digital Cable signals (up to 1080i); subscription still required to receive cable channels. A single RF-type coaxial input is use to connect an external indoor/outdoor antenna (sold separately).
ARC (Audio Return Channel): The Audio Return Channel within the television's HDMI 4 input enables the TV, via a single HDMI cable, to send audio data "upstream" to an A/V receiver; increasing user flexibility and eliminating the need for any separate S/PDIF audio connection. This feature allows audio to be sent from the television to your A/V receiver through the same HDMI cable already being used to send audio/video to the television. This eliminates the need for extra cables connected to the TV. ARC allows audio from the TV tuner, Network connection, inserted USB device, or HDMI inputs to be heard through your ARC compatible AV receiver via the television's HDMI ARC input.
- The audio from the TV's tuner, HDMI inputs, USB ports, and Samsung TV apps can pass as Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby Digital, DTS, or 2ch PCM.
- DLNA compliant devices will be output audio at 2ch PCM only.
Note: Both the television and the receiver must support ARC for this function to work properly. When connecting an A/V receiver that is compatible with Audio Return Channel (ARC), connect it to the TV's HDMI 4 input. If connecting a system that is incompatible Audio Return Channel (ARC), an additional audio connection via Digital Audio Out (Optical) is necessary.
Optical Digital Output: The TV's optical digital output terminal will output Dolby Digital or DTS (when available), as well as DTS Neo 2.5 or 2ch PCM. The digital optical output terminal only sends an audio signal in Dolby Digital or DTS when receiving Dolby Digital/DTS surround sound from a digital broadcast channel through the tuner, network apps, HDMI inputs, or USB ports.
Note: This TV does not contain any analog audio inputs or outputs.
DTS Premium Sound: The Samsung UHD TV employs DTS Premium Sound processing which will decode DTS-encoded content, such as TV programming, Blu-ray movies, and streaming media, as well as processes stereo content to deliver an optimized virtual surround sound experience with enhanced bass response, clear dialog, and consistent volume levels through the TV speakers.
Equalizer: You can manually adjusts the TV's built-in 7-band EQ (100, 200, 500, 1k, 2k, 5k, & 10k Hz) for a more customized sound; or simply choose from the following EQ Preset Modes - Standard, Optimized, or Amplify.
Audio Delay: The Audio Delay function corrects audio/video mismatch, when watching TV or video, and listening to a digital audio output using an external device such as an AV receiver. You can adjust the audio delay from 0ms to 250 ms.
Wireless Audio Connectivity: The Samsung TV provides wireless connectivity to compatible Samsung SoundConnect soundbar speaker systems and Samsung Multiroom Link speaker systems. You can also wirelessly stream audio from the TV to a set of Bluetooth headphones or a single Bluetooth audio speaker.
- SoundConnect: The TV is compatible with the SoundConnect feature found on some Samsung active soundbar speaker systems (sold separately). SoundConnect makes a wireless connection between the TV and the speaker system via Bluetooth. Once the two are paired, you can control the volume and mute the sound by using the remote control from the TV or the speaker system. If you change the soundbar speaker system from TV mode to another mode or turn it off, the TV audio will resume playing from the TV's speakers.
- Multiroom Link: This TV is compatible with Samsung's wireless Multiroom Link speakers (sold separately), so you can wirelessly connect the TV to multiple Samsung Multiroom Link speakers throughout your home for a whole house audio experience. You can also configure compatible Multiroom Link speakers as wireless stereo speakers or rear speakers for the TV.
- Bluetooth HP: Thanks to The TV's built-in Bluetooth, you can pair a single set of Bluetooth headphones or one Bluetooth speaker with the Samsung television. You are able to stream audio from any of the TV's built-in sources or connected sources. The TV's audio outputs will be deactivated when streaming audio to Bluetooth headphones or speaker. You can choose to have the TV speakers play at the same time as your Bluetooth headphones or speaker, or you can turn the TV speakers completely off. The volume of the Bluetooth headphones or speaker will be controlled via the headphones or speaker, and not the TV.
Note: The SoundConnect, Multiroom Link, and Bluetooth HP features cannot be used simultaneously.
Samsung's Quad-Core Processor: Samsung's Quad-Core processing speeds allow you to perform multiple tasks at the same time, such as using an app while downloading another one. It also enables extremely faster web browsing and application access. Quad-Core eliminates lag to give you a fluid browsing experience. It enables you to switch between apps, stream content, and multi-task much faster. This extra power also provides faster page refreshing.
Network Connection: You can set up the Samsung UHD TV so that it can access your home network and online Samsung TV Apps through your local area network (LAN) using a wired (RJ-45 Ethernet) or wireless connection (built-in WiFi).
- Wired (Ethernet): The TV's contains an RJ-45 Ethernet jack on its back-panel for a wired network connection. You can setup a wired network connection automatically or manually.
- Wireless (WiFi): The TV is also IEEE 802.11ac WiFi certified for a wireless network connection. You can setup the wireless network connection using these four methods; Automatic, Manual, WPS (PBC), or WPS (PIN). The TV's built-in WiFi supports WEP (open/shared), WPA-PSK (TKIP/AES), or WPA2-PSK network security.
Note: A dual-band Gigabit wireless-N router or better is recommended For 4K streaming. Samsung recommends a home network connection speed of at least 2.5 Mbps for standard definition, 10 Mbps for high definition, and 20 Mbps for ultra-high definition.
Samsung TV Apps: Once you have connected the Samsung TV to your home network, you gain access to Samsung's TV Apps. Samsung's TV Apps let you download online applications and services (fees may apply) to the Samsung UHD TV. Samsung TV Apps has a growing collection of online applications that connect you to some of your favorite online content. You can enjoy a variety of content from various downloaded applications - such as movies, TV shows, music, news, sports, and weather.
- 4K/HDR Video Content: This UHD TV even offers "HEVC/H.265 & VP9" decoding, which means it'll be able to display 4K & HDR10 content from online movie & TV show providers (like Amazon Video, Netflix, Vudu, UltraFlix 4K, Google Play Movies & TV, FandangoNow, & YouTube).
- HD Video Apps: Watch high definition movies and TV shows on HuluPlus, HBO-NOW, and HBO-GO
- Music & Radio: Listen to online music and internet radio from Pandora, Spotify, iHeartRadio, SiriusXM, and TuneIn.
- Sports: Enjoy sporting events, news, & highlights from NBC Sports, NBA Replay, and UFC.TV.
- News & Weather: Get updated with news stock quotes from NBC & CNBC Real-Time. Check your local weather and other area weather at The Weather Network, Accuweather, or WeatherNation.
Note: 4K & HDR network streaming requires a network speed of 20Mbps or greater. A wired Ethernet connection is recommended over a wireless WiFi connection for better performance. If you desire a WiFi connection, then use a dual-band Gigabit wireless-N router (or better) for 4K & HDR streaming. Make sure the Samsung television has the latest software/firmware updates installed.
Web Browser: You can surf the Internet on the TV as you would on a PC. You may enter a URL addresses or enter a keyword search. The player will archive your web browser history. You can scroll web pages with the directional pad on the included remote. For a more convenient web browsing experience, connect a USB- or Bluetooth-enabled keyboard and mouse (sold separately) to the TV.
Note: The TV's web browser experience may not be the same as it is on your computer. The web browser is not compatible with Flash video, ActiveX, Java applications, and E-commerce for purchasing products online.
Wireless Mobile Device Connectivity: The Samsung UHD TV allows wireless integration with your wireless network devices via WiFi Direct, Screen Mirroring and DLNA.
- WiFi Direct: When using WiFi Direct, you can connect directly with other devices without using a wireless router. You'll be able to wirelessly transfer personal content (such as photos & videos) to the Samsung UHD TV without connecting to your home network. WiFi Direct completely bypasses your WiFi access point/router, so it's easy to set up. Streaming of copy-protected content and other certain formats are not supported.
- Screen Mirroring: The TV's Screen Mirroring function lets you wirelessly send the display from your compatible Samsung mobile device with AllShare Cast or Apple iOS/Android device with the Smart View App installed to the TV. This allows you to view pictures and videos that are playing on your compatible mobile device on the TV screen. No wireless router or access point required.
- DLNA Certified: The Samsung UHD TV is DLNA certified, allowing you to watch videos (Divx/AVI/H.264/MPEG/MKV/MOV/WMV), photos (JPEG/PNG/BMP/MPO), and listen to music (MP3/WMA/AAC/FLAC/ALAC/AIFF/OGG) saved on your Windows 7/8/10 PC (or other DLNA Certified media server) through the TV via its Ethernet (LAN) port or built-in WiFi (wireless).
USB 2.0 Ports: The television is equipped with two USB-A 2.0 ports on the One Connect Mini and one USB-A 2.0 port on its rear-panel. The USB port on the One Connect Mini labeled "HDD 5V/1A" can be used to connect a USB hard-disk drive (HDD) to the TV, while the USB port on the One Connect Mini labeled "5V/0.5A" can be used to connect a USB mass storage class (MSC) device - like a USB thumdrive. The USB-A 2.0 port found on back of the TV can be used for connection of a USB mass storage class device or keyboard/mouse. All three USB 2.0 ports let you view photo and movie files, as well as listen to audio files saved on a compatible USB device.
- Video Playback: The TV supports the following video file types - AVI, Divx, H.264, MPEG, MKV, MOV, and WMV. Movie files are displayed in a folder and title list in either date or alphabetical order. The TV offers Play, Pause, Search, and Resume playback functions for compatible video files stored on a compatible USB device.
- Still Image Playback: The TV supports the following still image file types - JPEG, PNG, BMP, or MPO. Still image files can be viewed as a slide show with or without background music, as thumbnails, or full-screen.
- Audio Playback: The TV supports the following music file types - MP3, WMA, AAC, AIFF, ALAC, FLAC, and OGG. Music files are displayed in a folder and track list, and can be sorted by Artist, Album, or Genre. Music files can be repeated or shuffled in a selected folder.
Note: Files must be formatted in FAT, exFAT, or NTFS. The TV can recognize up to 1,000 files per folder. The USB ports can also be used to connect a USB-compatible keyboard & mouse.
Auto Updates: If the television is connected to the Internet, you can have the TV update its software automatically while you are watching it. When the background update is completed, it is applied the next time the TV is turned on. Updates can also be done via USB. Visit the Samsung Download Center for the latest Firmware & Software updates.
Smart Hub: The TV's Smart Hub has been redesigned and offers even easier navigation, plus quick access; you can even use these convenient features while still watching TV. The new Smart Hub features easy access to content by displaying your favorite and most used TV applications, as well as recommendations for even more entertainment options. Smart Hub offers unique ways to search and access your favorite and new content from the TV's tuner and network apps.
- Universal & Keyword Search: You can type in a keyword to search for TV shows & movies across platforms, like over-the-air broadcasts and available online providers.
- Apps: From the TV's Home Screen, you can easily select the apps that have used previously or frequently. The apps can also be moved or deleted from the screen. You are also able to easily view, navigate and select between the following App categories - Editor's Choice, Most Popular, Downloaded Apps, Group Content, and Genre.
- TV Plus & Recommendations: The TV Plus feature aggregates TV and movie content from across services into a single interface. This includes on-demand TV shows, as well as movies available for rent or purchase. You'll also receive personalized recommendations based on your viewing habits, plus what's popular and trending.
- Music & Sports Services: The Music Service features automatically recognizes background music from the current program or external content and returns related information, so you can identify the song and artist. The Sports Service feature integrates content regarding your favorite sports team, whether it be live games, scores or VOD clips. You'll also get alerts whenever your favorite teams are playing, and with notifications in the SmartView app, you can get these alerts even when the TV is powered off.
- Channel Guide & Favorite Channels: In the Channel Guide, you can see the daily program schedules for each off-air broadcaster, see program information, choose a program to watch, and set up a schedule viewing. You can even designate frequently watched off-air stations as Favorites (up to 5).
Connection Guide: The TV's on-screen Connection Guide lets you view detailed information about external device that can be connected to the televisions. It shows you how to connect various external devices such as cable boxes, satellite receivers, Blu-ray players, game consoles, and more using on-screen images.
Netflix Recommended: This Samsung TV is a Netflix Recommended TV. This is due to the fact that is offers a unique set of features which makes Netflix even easier to use and enjoy. First of all, the TV starts up instantly and apps are ready to use right away, just like on your smartphone. Second, the Netflix app always launches quickly, whether it's right after turning on the TV or after using several other apps. Third, the Netflix app is easy to access and convenient to launch from the TV's on-screen menu. Fourth, you can browse the Netflix app interface with crisp text and clearer images. And finally, the TV remembers what you were doing and wakes to the same place as when it was turned off.
DIRECTV 4K Ready: This Samsung television is RVU-compatible which means DIRECTV subscribers with the Genie Whole-Home HD DVR can watch live broadcast (up to 4K) and stored content (up to 4K) from their DVR on the Samsung TV, without the need for an additional Genie Mini Client devices or set-top boxes. However, you will need a DECA unit (sold separately) that converts Coax to Ethernet, which will plug into the Samsung TV's LAN port. Make sure the television has the latest firmware update.
Note: Whether you are a new or existing DIRECTV customer, you will need to contact DIRECTV to complete the RVU setup.
Hearing & Visually Impaired: The Samsung UHD TV offers Close Captions and a Voice Guide for the hearing and visually impaired. The TV provides Analog Closed Captions and Digital Closed Captions for the hearing impaired. You can also activate Voice Guides that describe the menu options aloud to aid the visually impaired.
ECO Settings: The Samsung UHD TV provides ECO settings to reduce the television's power consumption and cut-down on energy costs.
- Ambient Light Detection: Samsung's unique Ambient Light Detection measures the intensity of the room's light and automatically calibrates the brightness of the image on the screen. In a sun-filled environment, the screen gets brighter and in dim surroundings, the intensity is reduced. This feature optimizes the viewing experience while also saving you energy.
- Power Saving Mode: This feature adjust the brightness of the TV in order to reduce power consumption. When watching TV at night, set the Energy Saver feature to High to reduce eye fatigue as well as power consumption. You can set this feature to High, Medium, Low, or Picture Off (sound remains on).
- Motion Lighting: This feature adjusts the TV's brightness in response to on-screen movements to reduce power consumption.
- Auto Power Off: Automatically turns off the TV to reduce unnecessary power consumption if there is no operation for the length of time you specify (up to 4 hours)
Security Settings: The Samsung UHD TV offers two security features for TV programming and the Internet.
- Program Rating Lock: The Program Rating Lock feature automatically locks out programs that are deemed inappropriate for children. You can block TV program based on their ratings and Movies based on their MPAA rating, so you have more control over what your children watch. The Program Rating Lock function is protected by a 4-digit PIN.
- Smart Security: When any device is connected to the Internet, it is vulnerable to hacks and malicious code. Samsung Smart Security protects the TV and storage media connected to the TV from such threats, when the television is connected to the Internet.
Timers: You can set Off Timer to shut off the TV automatically at a specific time; the Off Timer is only available if the Clock has been set. The Sleep Timer switches the television off after a specified amount of time. The sleep timer can be set to 30, 60, 90, 120, 150, or 180 minute. If the screen remains idle with a still image for a certain period of time (defined by the user), the TV's built-in screen saver is activated to prevent the formation of host images on the screen.
Remote Support + Self Diagnosis: The Samsung Remote Support service offers you one-on-one support with a Samsung Technician who can remotely diagnose your TV, adjust the TV settings, perform a factory reset, and install recommended firmware updates. Your TV must be connected to your homes wired or wireless network. The Samsung UHD TV also provides a Self Diagnosis menu which allows you to check the television for picture, sound, and signal problems.
Note: The television only comes with a brief User Manual. A complete instruction manual is built-in into the TV and can be viewed on-screen. Open the e-Manual to learn how to use the TV's many features.
One Smart Remote: The new One Samsung Smart Remote makes it even easier to navigate the television's entertainment sources, menu settings, and Smart TV features. Improved user convenience has been provided so that you can switch the channel and adjust the volume with ease while focusing on the TV screen. Simply use the remote's directional pad to navigate menus quickly or perform voice commands with the built-in microphone. Because the One Smart Remote communicates with the TV through a wireless Bluetooth communication, you don't have to point the remote directly at the TV (wireless range is approximately 20').
- Voice Control: Using the One Smart Remote's built-in microphone and the voice control function of the TV, your voice is all you need to turn on/off the Samsung television, navigate menus, and get to your favorite Smart TV content. You can even use only your voice to switch the channel, adjust the volume level, and launch online apps while focusing on the TV screen, which removes the need for a conventional remote control. You can even setup the TV to give you audible feedback in regards to your voice commands.
- Anynet+ (HDMI-CEC): You can use the TV's One Smart Remote to control external devices that are connected to the TV by an HDMI cable and that support Anynet+ (HDMI-CEC). Anynet+ (HDMI-CEC) can control up to 12 compliant external devices (up to 3 of the same type) except for home theaters; Anynet+ (HDMI-CEC) can control only one home theater system.
- Auto Source Recognition: The QLED TV uses Auto Source Recognition technology to automatically detect what kind of devices are plugged in via HDMI; then the One Smart Remote makes it simple to control these detected devices through the TV via HDMI-CEC. Auto Source Recognition and controlling function may not be supported by certain devices connected to the TV. To use the Auto Source Recognition feature, all HDMI-connected devices must also be on the same network and Internet connection is required
When you turn on the TV for the first time, the Samsung One Smart Remote pairs to the TV automatically. If the Samsung Smart Remote does not pair to the TV automatically, point it at the remote control sensor of the TV, and then press and hold the "Back/Return" and "Play/Pause" buttons simultaneously for 3 seconds or more.
- The remote control does not support IR commands. However, the TV does have an IR receiver and will support universal remote controls - such as Logitech's Harmony (sold separately).
Smart View Mobile App: Samsung's Smart View app for Apple iOS (8.0+) and Android OS (4.1+) turns your smartphone into a remote control for the UHD TV. You can also share content between your smartphone and the TV. Your Apple iOS or Android device must be connected to same wireless network as the Samsung UHD TV. There is also a Windows PC Smart View app available for content sharing.
- Remote Control & Smart Hub: Your Apple iOS or Android device can work as a remote for the Samsung UHD TV. The TV's Smart Hub interface is even integrated into the Smart View app, providing a comprehensive overview of all available content on the app's home screen. You'll be able to select and start your favorite live programs or video-on-demand services on the TV through the Smart View app on your smartphone or tablet.
- TV View: Enjoy TV programs and other multimedia right from your Apple iOS or Android device that's connected to the same network as the UHD TV. You can watch the same program as on the TV or different content from another input source.
- Content Sharing: Share videos, pictures and even music from your Apple iOS or Android device on the TV. You can even create personalized playlists to access all of your favorite videos, photos, and music in one place. You'll even be able to add content files or even a whole folder from your Windows PC into the Smart View app and play them back on the TV.
Keyboard & Mouse Compatible: The Samsung UHD TV will support a USB or Bluetooth enabled keyboard and mouse (both sold separately), which makes web browsing a lot easier.
One Connect Mini: The UHD TV includes Samsung's One Connect Mini which connects to the television via a single 9.75' proprietary cable. The One Connect Mini features a built-in HDTV tuner and antenna connector, 4 HDMI inputs, an Optical Digital output and two USB 2.0 ports. The One Connect Mini provides clean integration of all your external devices so there's less clutter, plus allows you to update your TV with the newest software and features.
Pedestal Feet: The TV comes with two pedestal feet. The TV is shipped with the pedestal feet unattached. The pedestal feet simply press into the mounting holes on the bottom of the TV without any mounting screws, hardware, or tools. The feet can be spaced 47.125" or 58.75" apart. The television weighs 99 lbs with the stand. The TV will not swivel.
Wall Mounting: The TV has four threaded inserts on the back and comes with four wall-mount adapters for use with an optional wall-mount bracket. The spacing of the mounting holes is 600mm (h) x 400mm (v). The threaded inserts and wall-mount adapters require M8 (8mm) machine screws (not supplied). The included wall-mount adapters must be used when wall-mounting television. The television weighs 96.8 lbs without the stand.
Cable Management: The back of the TV and the included pedestal feet provide cable channels so you can neatly route cords to the TV. There is a terminal cover and cable cover provided that snap to the back of the TV to hide cable connections, so the TV looks great front to back, whether mounted on the wall or sitting on a stand.
Ventilation Clearance: When mounting the TV on the stand or a wall (with optional bracket) leave 4" of clearance on each side of the television and 4" above/below the television for adequate ventilation.
Detachable AC Power Cord: The Samsung UHD TV comes with a 5' detachable AC power cord. The power cord plugs into the back of the TV (not the One Connect Mini). The AC power cord is fitted with a right-angle AC plug that sits 0.9375" from the wall.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Why did you buy this?
Great price point for the large screen size. [ Casey Apr 07, 2018 ]
Large screen and good reputation. [ PHILIP Mar 14, 2018 ]
My son has a 75" Sony, have to one-up him :) Next Superbowl party at my house! [ David Feb 28, 2018 ]
Size, image quality not too bad compares to QLED, Samsung quality, good looking tv [ Jonathan Feb 24, 2018 ]
we liked the price for the 82". the 85 were 1700 more. [ Karen Jan 21, 2018 ]
I got this tv because I wanted a big screen that was capable for good rich color in 4K/HDR. I can't wait to see it. [ Victoria Dec 17, 2017 ]
best deal available on 80+ inch 4K TV [ ALAN Nov 22, 2017 ]
Umm Why Would Anyone Not Purchase this? [ Kelley Nov 19, 2017 ]
Just plain AWESOME! [ WILLIAM J Nov 14, 2017 ]
Large room just added to my existing home. A room this size requires a screen this size or larger. The sale price was very attractive and to go any larger would cost thousands more. Name brand experience also factors into the decision. [ Peter Nov 01, 2017 ]
Recent reviews on this product have been excellent... and Samsung offers an outstanding value for such a large screen UHD TV. [ G Jul 21, 2017 ]
1 question already asked
The box has 4 HDMI ports and 1 optical output. I do not use an AV receiver. However, I do use a sound bar. The sound bar accepts a signal from the box and it sounds great. Also, if you bring the signal into the sound bar, the box will accept a signal from the sound bar. So, I presume the same would be true for an A/V receiver set up. [ DAVID Apr 09, 2018 ]
You connect your receiver from its HDMI/Monitor Out to the Samsung box with an HDMI cable. You can then run your other audio or video peripherals through either your receiver or up through the Samsung box. There are advantages and disadvantages for each way. The Samsung box does a nice job of figuring everything out. Then there's only one cable (plus the power cord) running up to the TV. [ CRAIG Apr 09, 2018 ]
It's basicaly an extension of the hdmi from the tv. You just connect the hdmi box to the tv and connect the HDMI box to the av receiver with an hdmi cable [ richard Apr 08, 2018 ]