Portable headphone amplifier/USB DAC
Our take on the TEAC HA-P50SE by Crutchfield's Jeff Miller
Convenience, meet quality
My phone can do so much these days, I often take it for granted. But as someone who lugged around CDs and cassette tapes in my backpack, I still get a kick out of pulling up any song I want — completely on demand. The TEAC HA-P50SE can connect to most phones (and laptops), then deliver those tunes through a set of headphones with punch and clarity.
Built to take on the road
TEAC built the HA-P50SE tough to stand up to the rigors of travel. Its rugged aluminum body helps protect the circuitry inside from impacts. Raised guards on either side of the amp's compact chassis help protect your headphone's plugs and connection jacks from bumps, as well as prevent changes in volume when you're carrying the amp in your pocket or backpack.
Recessed control switches reduce the chance of accidental access during playback. Plus, the HA-P50SE's built-in rechargeable lithium-ion battery can play your music continuously for up to 12 hours, so the show can go on for a long time.
- battery-powered portable headphone amplifier with built-in USB DAC
- "Special Edition" features upgraded operational amplifier for pure, clear sound
- works with your iPhone, Android phone, and/or PC
- compact, rugged aluminum chassis
High-performance Headphone Amplifier:
- upgraded Burr Brown OPA1602 SoundPLUS op amp for high-clarity sound
- high-output power amplifier (160mW + 160mW)
- stereo minijack output for driving standard headphones and line-level sources such as powered desktop speakers
- rotary aluminum volume knob with power on/off control
- gain select switch provides compatibility for a wide range of headphones and earphones
- compatible with 8-ohm to 600-ohm headphone impedance
Built-in Digital-to-Analog Converter:
- Burr Brown PCM5102 DAC for precise playback of digital music files
- supports digital PCM audio sources up to 24-bit/96kHz from Apple iOS devices with Lightning connector, and Windows or Mac computers
- supports up to 16-bit/44.1kHz digital PCM audio playback for compatible Android phones with AOA 2.0 (or newer) protocol
- USB (micro type-B) input for charging & computer connection (cable included)
- standard USB type-A input for select iPod®/iPhone/iPad or Android devices
- these devices must use their own respective cables, not included
- combination analog stereo minijack/optical digital input
General Info and Specs:
- built-in rechargeable battery provides up to 8 hours of playback when using an Apple iOS device
- up to 12 hours of playback using the optical or analog audio input
- USB battery charging (also charges via optional TASCAM DC power supply)
- computer operating system requirements: Windows® Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1 and Mac® OS X® 10.6.4 (Snow Leopard) or later
- TEAC HR Audio Player app required for high-resolution audio playback on Windows and Mac computers
- free software downloads available from TEAC's website
- 2-3/4"W x 7/8"H x 5"D
- weight: 8 ounces
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- Portable headphone amp/USB DAC
- 31" USB-to-DC cable
- 32" microUSB-to-USB cable
- 2 Rubber straps
- Owner's Manual
This was a great recommendation. I use it with Sony Mrs z7 headphones and they work excellent
Anonymous, Playa Vista, CA
TEAC HA-P50SE Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Portable Headphone Amplifier/USB DAC: The TEAC HA-P50SE is a high quality, portable headphone amplifier with built-in 24-bit/96kHz USB DAC, providing high-resolution "go anywhere" listening from your Apple iOS device with Lightning connector, AOA2.0 compatible Android smartphone/tablet, Windows PC, or Mac computer . The TEAC HA-P50SE is the ideal headphone amplifier for the audiophile on the go. It allows you to take your high-end headphone listening experience outdoors and enjoy it wherever you're at. The HA-P50SE packs a high-performance digital-to-analog converter and high power amplifier circuit into a compact body, to bring out the very best from your high quality headphones.
Low-Distortion Discrete Power Amp: The HA-P50SE uses a Burr Brown OPA1602 SoundPLUS op amp for 160mW + 160mW high-output power amplifier (at 32Ω load). Even 600Ω headphones can be driven to full power. The top-flight OPA 1602 operational amplifier processes audio signals with maximum purity. The discrete push-pull circuit achieves a very low distortion which IC-based amplifier headphone circuits cannot match, thanks to meticulous component selection and an absolute insistence on sound quality.
- Maximum Power Output: 160mW + 160mW (32ohms, 1kHz, 10% THD, JEITA), 65mW + 65mW (300ohms, 1kHz, 10% THD, JEITA), 35mW + 35mW (600ohms, 1kHz, 10% THD, JEITA)
- Total Harmonic Distortion: 0.001% (32ohms, 1kHz, 100mW + 100mW Output Power, JEITA)
- Headphone Impedance: 8Ω to 600Ω
- The HA-P50SE features a 3.5mm jack to connect your headphones.
- The HA-P50SE features a high/low gain selector which enables output gain to be matched to the impedance of the headphone being used. An important feature for those who use top quality high-impedance headphones.
24-bit/96kHz DAC: The built-in BurrBrown PCM5102 digital-to-analog converter is capable of processing a variety of digital audio signals (from DSD to FLAC) up to maximum 24-bit/96kHz resolution.
MicroUSB (Type-B) Port: The TEAC HA-P50SE accepts input from your computer via its microUSB (type-B) input. Its capable of high-resolution 24-bit/96kHz sound source playback when used with the TEAC HR Audio Player app installed on your Windows PC or Macintosh computer (free to download). A 32" microUSB (type-B) to USB (type-A) cable is supplied to connect your computer to the TEAC headphone amplifier/USB DAC.
- Windows Compatibility: The HA-P50SE is compatible with Windows Vista, 7, 8, 8.1, & 10 (32- or 64-bit editions).
- Mac Compatibility: The HA-P50SE is compatible with Mac OS X Lion (10.7), Mountain Lion (10.8), Mavericks (10.9), Yosemite (10.10), El Capitan (10.11), & Sierra (10.12).
USB (Type-A) Port: The TEAC HA-P50SE headphone amplifier/USB DAC is fitted with a USB (type-A) port which allows you to connect your Apple iOS device with Lightning connector (iOS 6.0+) or AOA2.0 compatible Android smartphone/tablet (OS 6.0+) with the cable that came with your mobile device. Digital audio signals stored on your Apple iOS or Android device are extracted digitally via USB and processed through the HA-50SE's high-performance built-in digital-to-analog converter, with minimal sound degradation and allowing the purest playback quality, with maximum fidelity. The free TEAC HR Audio Player app is required for Apple iOS device connection and offers high-resolution 24-bit/96kHz audio playback. Android devices do not require this app, but are limited to 16-bit/44.1kHz.
- Apple iOS Compatibility: iPhone (7/7+, 6S+/6S/6+/6), 5S/5C/5) iPad (Air, 4th gen), iPad mini, iPad mini, and iPod touch (5th/6th gen); all with iOS 6.0 or newer installed.
- Android OS Compatibility: AOA2.0 compatible Android smartphone or tablet with Marshmallow (6.0) operating system or newer installed.
Note: The HA-P50SE's USB (type-A) port will not charge your connected device's battery.
TEAC HR Audio Player App (for Apple iOS): The TEAC HR Audio Player App turns your Apple iOS (6.0+) device with Lightning connector into a high-resolution audio player and delivers the streamed digital audio (including DSD & FLAC) to the HA-P50SE headphone amplifier/USB DAC for 24-bit/96kHz playback. You will need to install your high-resolution files using iTunes onto the Apple iOS device using the HR Audio Play App (this is done differently from the normal iTunes sync procedure). You also get access to your Apple iOS devices' standard Music Library. The HR Audio Player App is designed to be user-friendly and offers these additional features:
- Song/Artist Information + Album Art: On the main screen during playback, you can see the file format of the file you are playing and the sampling frequency sent to the connected output device, as well as display the lyrics and album artwork.
- Playback Controls: You can also use this app to search a track in the list, change the playback order, and add a track to it; all with intuitive operation. In addition to Repeat playback (single or all tracks in the same list) and Random playback (in the same list), Crossover playback, which joins tracks smoothly using fade in and fade out, is available.
- Background Playback: The app plays in the background so that you can enjoy high-resolution music even while you use another App (except for another music player app). Just like the standard iOS music player, you can operate the HR Audio Player App from the iOS Control Center so that you can play/pause and skip immediately when you are using another app or when you are in the home screen.
- Equalizer: The app has a built-in graphical equalizer with up to 1,000 settings, so you can load and adjust equalizing curves based on the type of music you are listening to or type of headphone you are using. Simply touch the equalizing curve on the app screen to select the exact frequency you want to adjust. The RTA (Real-Time Analyzer) shows you real-time levels for each frequency of the music you are playing, so that you can adjust intuitively. And, since it also shows you the selected frequency and its incremented/decremented value in numeric values, you can equalize very accurately by checking those values. Linear FIR equalization is also applied for better phase performance, with two EQ modes; a standard SD mode and a high-quality HD mode with 64-bit internal processing
- Facebook & Twitter Shortcuts: Shortcut menus are provided so that you can share your friends via e-mail or Facebook and tweet in Twitter about the track you are playing. Express the excitement of the high-resolution sound source immediately.
Combined Digital/Analog Input: This versatile headphone amp/USB DAC employs a combined optical digital input and analog audio input terminal (3.5mm) that self-detects digital or analog incoming signals. This combo-input then passes the digital or analog audio signal (PCM only) through its sophisticated amplifier circuits, letting you enjoy a high quality headphone listening environment wherever you are.
Full-Aluminum Chassis: The HA-P50SE is a special edition that employs polished chamfer-edge "diamond-cut" on the edges of the volume knob, and both top and bottom panels, while the side-guard metal parts are finished with noble white silver, giving the HA-P50SE more elegant appearance. Constructed from durable aluminum, the HA-P50SE's compact, flat body measures just 21.7mm thick, ideal for mobile environments where toughness, small size and lightness are essential. Designed from the outset for mobile use, its compact aluminum volume knob has just the right torque to allow fine volume adjustment. Raised side-guards on either side prevent accidental volume changes when the HA-50SE is being carried in a pocket or bag, as well as protecting headphone plugs from bumps.
Portable Design: The HA-P50SE comes with two rubber fixing-straps for securing it to an Apple iPhone or Android smartphone, making the HA-P50SE very easy to carry around.
Rechargeable Battery: The TEAC HA-P50SE has a built-in 2100mAh Li-ion battery, allowing a maximum of 8 hours of continuous battery life. The included USB/DC cable allows recharging from a computer's free USB (type-A) port. Thanks to its auto power save function, the unit goes into sleep mode after 30 minutes if it has failed to detect a sound signal, or if there's no headphone jack plugged into the headphone port.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Why did you buy this?
I bought one before and it works well. So, I bought another for me. [ Leonard Jul 09, 2018 ]
iPhone just didn't have enough power to power my beats the way I like to listen to my music..... So I am hoping this will increase the volume level. Will post review upon receiving it. [ Rob Bass Oct 08, 2017 ]
Crutchfield search and review very thorough and appeared to fit my needs. [ JUAN JOSE Jul 20, 2017 ]