Boston Acoustics HSi 485
Our take on the Boston Acoustics HSi 485 by Crutchfield's Kramer Crane
Enjoy immersive hideaway sound
Planning a new surround sound system, and don't want traditional box speakers taking up space on your floor? Use a pair of Boston's HSi 485s for immersive sound from movies, music, sports, and video games without any visual clutter.
The HSi 485 is equipped with a robust 8" woofer for full-bodied bass response, and a 1" soft-dome tweeter for smooth, natural highs. It's an excellent choice as a front or surround channel of your in-wall home theater system.
If this is a do-it-yourself install, check out my guide to installing in-wall speakers, along with our selection of in-wall speaker wire. You can even paint the included magnetic grille to blend in with your décor.
- ideal for an in-wall music system or left or right channel in a home theater system
- 1" Kortec® soft-dome tweeter for smooth highs
- 8" Deep Channel® woofer for solid bass response
- unobtrusive frame and low-profile grille for discreet installation
- recommended amplifier power: 10-150 watts
- frequency response: 45-20,000 Hz
- sensitivity: 89 dB
- impedance: 8 ohms
- paintable magnetic grille
- cutout dimensions: 8-7/8"W x 11-13/16"H
- overall dimensions: 10-5/16"W x 13-3/8"H
- mounting depth: 3-13/16"
- warranty: 5 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- In-wall loudspeaker
- Mounting bracket
- Self-adhesive "Boston" logo decal
- Paint shield
- Scrim cloth
- Hole Cuttiing Template
- Installation Instructions
- Product Registration Card
- Disposal note
Features and Specs
|Quantity in Package||Single|
|Cutout Size||8.75 x 11.8125|
|Power Range (Watts)||10-150|
|Parts Warranty||5 Years|
|Labor Warranty||5 Years|
Two-Way Driver Design: The Boston Horizon HSi 485 in-wall speaker utilizes a two-way driver design, featuring a 1" Kortec soft-dome tweeter for crisp, high frequencies and a 8" DCD copolymer woofer for accurate midrange/midbass performance.
- 1" Kortec Soft-Dome Tweeter: Boston's exclusive Kortec tweeter utilizes a silk-like dome backed by a stiff material to provide smooth high-frequency reproduction and stability at high volume levels. Because the inside surface of the dome is ultra stiff, the tweeter tracks the signal with ease and produces an excellent transient attack. Simultaneously, the soft, self-dampening top layer eliminates unwanted resonance, so the sound is smooth and articulate.
- 8" DCD Copolymer Woofer: The Deep Channel Design (DCD) woofer uses a deeply grooved pole plate that enables the voice coil to travel farther for greater output without bottoming out. The woofer cone is made of a copolymer material with a butyl rubber surround for solid midbass performance.
Spring-Post Terminals: The HSi 485 in-wall speaker is outfitted with a set of spring-post terminals that will accept up to 12AWG speaker wire and banana plugs (single or dual).
Reduced Bezel Design with Magnetic Grille: Boston's unique slim bezel design provides interior designers and consumers the look that blends with a room's distinctive design. The slim bezel design also offers an installer-friendly wide mounting flange to cover any imperfections in the cutout hole and magnetic grilles for easy finish work.
Note: Both the frame and grille can be painted to match the wall. A plastic paint mask is included to protect the speaker from being painted as well.
Applications: The Boston Horizon HSi 485 in-wall speaker can be installed in any room or hallway of your home in a distributed audio system, or used in a multichannel home theater system or a stereo-only 2ch music system.
In-Wall Installation: The Boston Horizon HSi 485 installs in a 8.875" (w) x 11.8125" (h) rectangular cutout opening. The required depth to install the in-wall speaker is 3.8125" from the mounting surface. Behind the opening there must be a 1.5" clearance around the top and bottom of the cutout to accommodate the mounting bracket. The mounting bracket secures the speaker in place using four screws. The wall material should be at least 1/4" thick.
Note: The NCB5 new-construction bracket (sold separately) can be used to simplify installation in new construction
IR Sensor Knockout: The HSi 485 in-wall speaker has a knockout molded into the speaker baffle that will accommodate standard 0.5" diameter infrared (IR) sensor.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.