Harman Kardon Omni Bar+
Sound bar with wireless sub, Bluetooth®, and Chromecast built-in
California customers: click here for your Proposition 65 warning.Please
Our take on the Harman Kardon Omni Bar+ by Crutchfield's Ralph Graves
Unleash the sound
The Omni Bar+ features an ultra-thin wireless subwoofer you can place just about anywhere (TV not included)
The Omni Bar+ is far more than just a 2.1 speaker system for your TV. The Omni Bar+ system also makes an outstanding music player. The Omni Bar+ streams digital audio up to 24-bit/192kHz. It has Chromecast built-in, so you can stream songs, radio stations, and podcasts over Wi-Fi® from compatible apps. You can make it part of a multi-room audio system with other Chromecast built-in speakers. And that means you can stream TV sound to other rooms — ideal for sports play-by-plays.
Four 2-1/2" midrange drivers and a pair of tweeters in the bar handle mid and high frequencies, while the subwoofer's 6-1/2" driver gives the sound a solid foundation.
Harman Kardon control app
The system comes with its own remote for simple operation. To get the most out of the Omni Bar+, though, use the Harman Kardon control app. You can easily adjust your Omni+ speakers and group them together. You can even add two Omni 10+ or Omni 20+ speakers to the Omni Bar+ for the rear channels, creating a 5.1 wireless surround sound system.
You can also use the Google Home app to control all your Chromecast built-in speakers for multi-room audio. Plus, the app lets you control compatible smart home devices like Wi-Fi thermostats and power outlets. You can browse trending and popular content from your Chromecast-enabled apps, search for content across platforms, and more.
Both apps are free, and are available from the Apple® App Store and Google Play. And both let you set up playlists and access streaming services such as Spotify® Premium, TIDAL, Pandora®, Google Play Music, Tunein, and iHeartRadio.
Stream with Bluetooth
You can stream wirelessly from your smartphone or tablet to the Omni Bar+ via Bluetooth. The Omni Bar+ can then retransmit the signal to other Chromecast built-in speakers in your multi-room audio system. Having Bluetooth on board is a nice touch, because you can stream audio from any app on your phone or tablet — even video games or YouTube™ soundtracks.
Link button lets the music follow you
On the top of the Omni Bar+ is the "Link" button. With it, your music can follow you from room to room. Say you have music playing on your Omni 50+ on the deck. You walk into the living room. As you pass the TV, press the Link button on the Omni Bar+. Music starts playing, perfectly in sync with the deck's Omni speaker. Press and hold the Link button, and every Omni speaker in your home will come to life with that song.
Roon-compatible for serious music lovers
The Omni Bar+ is also compatible with Roon, a subscription digital music player you download to your smartphone, tablet, or computer. It gives you multi-room audio playback for all your Chromecast-compatible devices and more. Roon accesses your digital music collection from your iTunes library or NAS drive. It also works with your TIDAL subscription. Roon lets you do deep dives into your music, showing artist bios, photos, reviews, and lyrics. Roon can also suggest other artists and songs based on your selections, making it easy to discover new music you'll enjoy.
- 120 watts of amplification
- four 2-1/4" woofers, two 3/4" tweeters
- "Link" button lets you start playing music in a second room without using a remote
- 45-1/2"W x 2"H x 4"D
- weight: 7.49. lbs.
- stand and wall mount brackets included
- 6-1/2" woofer
- connects to bar wirelessly for flexible placement options
- requires AC power (power cord included)
- 18-7/8"W x 15-3/4"H x 4"D
- weight: 15.4 lbs.
Connections and General Info:
- 2.1-channel system
- wireless connectivity:
- built-in Bluetooth for streaming music from your smartphone or tablet
- built-in dual-band Wi-Fi for easy and stable connection to your network and the internet
- Chromecast built-in for creating a multi-room audio setup with other compatible wireless speakers
- wired connectivity:
- 1 HDMI/ARC output (one cable included)
- optical digital audio input (cable included)
- 3.5mm input for connecting a portable music player; music can be streamed to other Omni+ devices
- Ethernet port for wired home network connection
- supports playback of high-resolution audio (up to 24-bit/192kHz)
- frequency response: 40-20,000 Hz (-6dB)
- Harman Kardon Controller app:
- free download from Apple® App Store and Google Play
- set up and customize your Omni+ speakers
- create a 5.1 wireless surround sound system with two Omni 10+ speakers for rear channel speakers
- control multi-room playback with two or more Omni+ speakers
- Google Home App:
- free download from Apple® App Store and Google Play
- control multi-room playback with two or more Chromecast built-in wireless speakers
- control Chromecast built-in-compatible streaming services such as Spotify Premium, TIDAL, Pandora, Google Play Music, Tunein, and iHeartRadio
- control other Chromecast-compatible devices, such as smart home thermostats and switches
- AC power supply included
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- Active soundbar speaker
- Wireless powered subwoofer
- AC power adapter (attached 56" DC cord)
- Two 59" AC power cords
- Remote control (CR2025 battery installed)
- 39" HDMI cable
- 40" Optical digital cable
- 47" Stereo minijack-to-RCA cable
- 42" IR emitter
- 2-Piece floor stand (for sub)
- 2-Piece table-stand (for speaker)
- 2-Piece wall-bracket (for soundbar)
- Quick Start Guide
- Important Safety Instructions
- Warranty Card
Features and Specs
|Pieces in System||2|
|Tweeter||0.75" Dome (2)|
|Woofer||2.25" Cone (4)|
|Surround Sound Decoding||5.1-channel|
|4K Video Compatible||No|
|HDR Video Compatible||No|
|Audio Return Channel||Yes|
|Remote IR Passthrough||No|
|Works with TV Remote (IR)||Yes|
|Control by App||Apple iOS, Android|
|Bluetooth Connectivity||Built-in 4.1|
|Mounting Bracket Included||Yes|
|Surface Mount Stand Included||Yes|
|Speaker Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Speaker Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|Amplifier Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Amplifier Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|System Frequency Response||40-20k Hz|
|Sound Bar RMS Power||120|
|Subwoofer RMS Power||100|
|Inputs and Outputs|
|Mini Stereo Audio Inputs||1|
|RCA Stereo Audio Inputs||None|
|Optical Digital Audio Inputs||1|
|Coaxial Digital Audio Inputs||None|
|Sound Bar (inches)||2-1/16H x 45-1/8W x 4-1/16D|
|Sound Bar Weight||7.5 lbs|
|Subwoofer (inches)||15-3/4H x 19W x 4D|
|Subwoofer Weight||15.4 lbs|
Active Soundbar Speaker: The Harman/Kardon Omni Bar+ features an active soundbar speaker with two 0.75" dome tweeters and four 2.25" cone woofers in an acoustic suspension (sealed) enclosure powered by a 30 watt x 4 channel amplifier. This 2ch soundbar is designed in a stereo configuration with one tweeter and two woofers for the left and right channels with 60 watts going to each channel - for 120 watts RMS / 200 watts Peak of total power.
Wireless Powered Sub: The Omni Bar+ includes a wireless powered subwoofer that houses a front-firing 6.5" woofer in a bass-reflex (ported) enclosure powered by a 100 watt RMS / 200 watt Peak amplifier. The powered subwoofer connects wirelessly with the active soundbar, so there is no cable to run between the soundbar speaker and the sub. The wireless powered subwoofer will require AC power. You can adjust the bass level of the wireless powered sub independently from the system's overall volume.
Note: If the soundbar and sub come un-paired, you can re-pair them easily. Simply press the "pairing" button on the back of the Omni Bar+, then press the "pairing" button on the subwoofer. They will start communicating with each other and show a white LED light on the back that indicates that they are paired.
Optional Wireless Rear Speakers: The Omni Bar+ is a standalone 2.1ch speaker system, but can also be used with optional wireless rear speakers (sold separately) to create a 5.1ch wireless surround system. You can pair two of same Omni+ speakers (Omni 10+ / Omni 20+/ Omni 50+) with the Omni Bar+ to create a 5.1ch wireless home theater system. As a standalone system the Omni Bar+ is only 2.1ch, but when used in a 5.1ch wireless configuration, the soundbar generates a virtual acoustic center speaker to complete the 5.1ch surround system.
Note: To create a 5.1ch wireless surround system, all Omni Bar+ speakers must be on the same WiFi 5GHz network, and you will need two additional OMNI+ speakers of the same model.
Dolby Digital Decoding: The Harman/Kardon Omni Bar+ supports Dolby Digital decoding and surround processing (up to 5.1ch) through its HDMI ARC output and optical (toslink) digital input. The Omni Bar+ system can be set to a Virtual surround mode or Stereo mode.
HDMI ARC Output: The Sony H/K Omni Bar+ features one HDMI ARC output to connect the soundbar to your TV's HDMI ARC input. The HDMI ARC output allows audio from your television (including the TV's over-the-air tuner, built-in apps, HDMI inputs and analog inputs) to be sent to the soundbar system. The HDMI ARC output supports Dolby Digital (up to 5.1ch) and 2ch PCM.
Note: Some televisions will only pass 2ch PCM through the ARC-enabled HDMI input from devices connected to the TV via HDMI, and will only pass a Dolby Digital signal via the TV's built-in tuner, network apps, or USB. Analog inputs of a TV will always pass through as 2ch (stereo) or mono.
Analog & Digital Inputs: In addition to its HDMI ARC output, the Omni+ Bar is outfitted with analog & digital audio inputs. There is one stereo minijack (3.5mm) analog audio input. There is also a Dolby Digital compatible optical (toslink) digital audio input.
Remote Control: The included IR remote provides full control over the soundbar & sub speaker system. You can also program the system to work with your TV's remote control (volume up/down only). It also supports HDMI-CEC, so the system can turn on and off from the remote control of your HDMI-connected TV, as well as control volume up/down.
Mounting Options: The active soundbar speaker comes with a table-top stand and wall-mount bracket to place the speaker on a piece of AV furniture or hang it on the wall. The wireless powered subwoofer comes with a floor-stand and can be positioned up to 50' away from the soundbar.
Power Requirements: Both, the soundbar and sub, will require AC power and will need to be plugged into an AC wall outlet, surge protector, or power conditioner. The soundbar comes with an AC power that has an attached 56" DC cord and detachable 59" AC power cord. The sub comes with a 59" AC power cord.
Note: The system will enter into sleep mode (networked standby) after 10 minutes without operation, after which it can be re-activated via Bluetooth or WiFi.
Omni+ Wireless HD Audio Series: The Omni Bar+ is part of Harman/Kardon's Omni+ wireless HD music system which consists of three wireless powered speakers (Omni 10+ / Omni 20+/ Omni 50+), wireless HD receiver (Omni Adapt+), and a soundbar (Omni Bar+). The Omni+ wireless HD audio system creates a wireless multiroom/multisource distribution audio system throughout your home. It gives you access your Apple iOS or Android device's music library, DLNA content, Bluetooth Audio, integrated music apps (like Tidal & Deezer) Spotify Connect, and music apps from Chromecast Built-in (like Pandora & iHeartRadio). Its all controlled from the Harman/Kardon Controller app on your compatible Apple iOS or Android mobile device.
- Number of Supported Zones: You can configure up to six Zones around your home using the Omni+ wireless HD music system from Harman/Kardon.
- Multiroom Supported Sources: The music library from your Apple iOS or Android device, DLNA content, Integrated apps (like Tidal & Deezer) Spotify Connect, Chromecast built-in music apps (like Pandora & iHeartRadio), Bluetooth audio, and wired inputs (such as analog, digital, and HDMI) can all be multiroom distributed.
Note: The new Omni+ wireless HD audio system have been designed to work with H/K's older Omni system. However, not all features from the new Omni+ series will work on the older Omni speaker system, and some older features of the earlier Omni speaker system will not work on the new Omni+ series.
Wired or Wireless Network Connection: The H/K Omni Bar+ supports the latest 802.11ac wireless home networking technology and dual band (both 2.4GHz and 5GHz) Wi-Fi connection - resulting in a faster, robust and more stable wireless connection with less chance of interference. The system's built-in WiFi employs a special BlackFire protocol, which allows it to handle up to 24-bit/192kHz high resolution music files with ease and provide a stable multiroom/multisource distributed audio experience. The Omni Bar+ is also equipped with an Ethernet (RJ45) jack if you prefer a hardwired connection. Network setup is done through the Harman/Kardon Controller App on your Apple iOS or Android device. If your wireless network router supports WPS, the Omni Bar+ also offers a WPS button for simple one-button setup.
HD Audio Streaming: Unlike many other wireless streaming systems that only support standard-definition music streaming, the Omni Bar+ and Omni+ wireless HD audio system from Harman/Kardon supports up to 24-bit/192kHz high-definition audio streaming for a superior audio experience; higher resolution than even CD (16-bit/44.1kHz). As a result, your wireless music is delivered with more clarity and the detailed nuances. The H/K Omni+ wireless HD audio system supports music files such as MP3, WMA, AAC, FLAC, and WAV.
Harman/Kardon Controller App: The Harman/Kardon Controller app (for Apple iOS 8.0+ and Android OS 4.1+) turns your compatible Apple iOS or Android device into a remote control for the Omni Bar+ and the rest of your Omni+ wireless HD audio system. The H/K Controller App provide an easy-to-use interface and gives you complete control of your music and where it's played. From the app, you can stream different songs in each room, group rooms together, or activate Party Mode and play the same track throughout every H/K wireless HD speaker in your home. You'll have access to music stored on your Apple iOS or Android device, integrated music apps (like Tidal & Deezer), Spotify Connect, and music apps within Chromecast built-in (like Pandora & iHeartRadio) through the H/K Controller app. The app will allow you to browse music by artist, song, album, genre, etc.; plus view song and artist information with album art.
- Multiroom Audio: The Harman/Kardon wireless HD audio system supports up to six audio Zones around your home which can be played individually, or linked together. You can listen to the same or different audio soundtrack in each Zone. From the H/K Controller app on your compatible mobile device you are able to conveniently group multiple H/K Omni+ wireless HD components and rooms into a single playback Zone (Group) or divide them into separate Zones. When you stream music to a single Zone or Group, all speakers and rooms in that Zone (Group) will play together.
- Playback + Playlists: Play/Pause & Volume functions can be done from the Harman/Kardon Controller App on your compatible mobile device or directly from the wireless HD speaker's top-panel controls. The H/K Controller app also lets you skip to beginning of the next song. You can even create your own playlist from your mobile device's music library using the H/K Controller app on your smartphone or tablet.
- Link Button: The Link button in the Harman/Kardon Controller app or on the top of every Omni+ wireless HD component lets you take your music from room to room with a single touch. Say you're listening through one Omni+ series product in one room and you walk into another room with another Omni+ series component. Just press the Link button in the app or on top of the unit and your music follows you from room to room.
- Party Mode: If you want to fill your entire home with the same soundtrack, just activate Party Mode in the H/K Controller app, or by pressing and holding the Link button on top of the unit. Once Party Mode is activated, the same song will play through every Omni+ wireless HD audio component throughout your home.
Note: Streaming via Bluetooth or a direct aux input connection is supported without the H/K Controller app. The Spotify Connect app and the Chromecast built-in app can also be used to control their respective features through the Omni+ wireless HD audio system. However, you will need the Harman/Kardon Controller app for initial setup, for multiroom/multisource audio distribution, and for other advanced functions.
Integrated Music Apps: Select music apps are integrated into the H/K Controller app for quick access to your favorite songs, stations, and playlists from your compatible Apple iOS or Android device for playback on the Harman/Kardon wireless HD audio system. Integrated apps include Tidal, Deezer, SHOUTcast, and Qobuz (subscription fees may apply. The H/K controller app will provide music browsing, playback control, and song/artist information with album art.
Spotify Connect: The integration of Spotify Connect will enable Spotify Premium users to instantly select and wirelessly stream music to the H/K Omni Bar+ from within the Spotify app (for Apple iOS 9.0+ or Android OS 4.0+). Spotify is a digital music service that gives you on-demand access to one of the largest music libraries in the world (over 15 million tracks and counting). Spotify makes it easier than ever to discover, manage, and share music with your friends. You can browse music by artist, album, track, or most popular; and create your own music library with customized playlists.
Local Music Libraries: The H/K Controller App lets you access and play your Apple iOS or Android device's local music library through the Omni Bar+. You can see all the music on your phone or tablet sorted by Playlists, Songs, Artists, Albums, or Genres. You'll be able to control playback and create playlists of your device's music library through the H/K Controller app. You can also use compatible Google Chromecast apps (PLEX, AllCast, or AllConnect) to play local music files from DLNA devices (like a Windows PC, DLNA server, or DLNA compliant NAS Drive). The H/K Omni+ wireless HD audio system will soon add DLNA support via the HK Controller app (will require future firmware update - no ETA).
Chromecast Built-in: With Chromecast built-in, you can instantly stream select online music, radio, and podcast services from your Apple iOS or Android device to the Omni Bar+. Chromecast Built-In streams audio directly from the cloud, so you get the highest sound quality (up to 24-bit/96kHz) and the ability to enjoy crystal clear sound exactly the way the artist intended. Simply tap the Cast button from a Chromecast built-in compatible music app to start streaming to the Omni Bar+. You can search, browse, play, skip, and turn up the volume directly from the music apps you know and love on your compatible phone, tablet or laptop. While you cast your music, you can still use your phone to answer a phone call, play a game, send a text, and even leave the room - all without interrupting what's playing on the Omni wireless HD audio system.
- Music, Radio, & Podcasts: Chromecast built-in lets you play music from popular music services by artist, song, genre, album playlist, mood, or activity. You can also listen to your favorite internet radio stations and podcasts. Compatible music and internet radio apps include Tidal, Spotify, Pandora, TuneIn, GooglePlay Music, iHeart Radio, and more (subscription fees may apply). Chromecast Built-in currently supports a single account per user (up to 6) and streaming service. You'll also be able to stream your favorite music, playlists, podcasts, and more that are stored on your Android (OS 4.4.2+) device to the Omni Bar+. You cannot stream stored content on an Apple iOS device using Chromecast built-in (you will need to use the Harman/Kardon Controller App). If you're on your laptop or computer, you can also cast any music streaming website through the Chrome browser.
- Google Home (Multiroom Audio): Multiple Chromecast Built-in speakers can be added to the same WiFi network to form a multiroom audio system using the Google Home app. Using the Google Home app for Apple iOS 9.1+ and Android OS 4.1+, you can sync multiple speakers with Chromecast Built-in in multiple rooms of your home to play the same song throughout your house at the same time. Only Chromecast Built-in compatible music apps are supported.
- Voice Control (Optional): Purchase a Google Home wireless speaker with built-in Google Digital Assistant (sole separately - see Accessories Tab) and gain voice control of compatible Chromecast Built-in music apps. You'll be able to access a specific music app and then select a specific station or song using only your voice. You'll also have voice control over Play, Pause, Skip, & Volume. The Omni Bar+ & the Google Home speaker must be connected to the same wireless (WiFi) network.
Bluetooth Audio Streaming: In addition to streaming music over your wireless network, the Omni Bar+ also offers built-in Bluetooth 4.1 with support for wireless audio streaming (A2DP) and control (AVRCP). You can stream stored music, music apps, and other audio content on your Bluetooth source device (such as your smartphone, tablet, or computer) to the Omni Bar+. Playback control includes Volume, Play, & Pause only. Multiple devices can be paired with the Omni Bar+, but only one device can be used to stream music at a time. Once paired, the Link 20 will automatically re-connect with paired devices when in wireless range (up to 33').
Note: The Omni Bar+ does not support Bluetooth hands-free phone communication (HFP).
Automatic Firmware Updates: Harman Kardon will periodically release firmware and Controller app upgrades for the Harman Kardon Omni+ wireless HD audio system to add additional features and improve performance. In most cases, these upgrades will be automatically done over the network.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Frequently Compared With
Harman Kardon Omni Bar+
Sound bar with wireless sub, Bluetooth®, and Chromecast built-in$899.99
Powered sound bar with 4K/HDR video passthrough and DTS Virtual:X®
Bose® SoundTouch® 300 soundbar
JBL Bar 5.1
Powered home theater sound bar with wireless subwoofer and true wireless surround speakers