SXRD™ 4K home theater projector with HDR (2018 model)
Sony VPL-VW295ES - A projector makes a home theater feel much closer to a movie theater (screen sold separately)
Our take on the Sony VPL-VW295ES by Crutchfield's Steve Kindig
A clutter-free movie theater experience in the comfort of home (screen sold separately).
Larger-than-life images with full 4K detail
Sony thrilled movie fans when they introduced the VPL-VW285ES a year ago. It was the first true 4K projector to cost less than $5000. The new VPL-VW295ES delivers the same brilliant Ultra HD picture, while adding a few refinements to enhance picture quality and compatibility.
4K Ultra HD delivers four times the picture detail of full HD 1080p, and really comes into its own on larger screens. The difference between HD and 4K is certainly visible on TV-sized screens, but when you're projecting onto a screen that's 100", 120" or even larger, the added clarity and sense of depth is pretty stunning.
True 4K vs. "4K-compatible"
4K Ultra HD has four times the detail of 1080p.
What separates true 4K projectors like the VPL-VW295ES from "4K-compatible" models is pixels. The 'VW295ES's picture has 8.8 million pixels, while 4K-compatible models typically have around 4 million. Full 4K creates that "looking-through-a-window" sense of dimensionality.
Sony's SXRD technology — proven in theaters around the world
The VPL-VW295ES is based on the same 4K Digital Cinema SXRD™ technology found in Sony's professional projectors. The 'VW295ES uses three SXRD image chips — one each for red, green, and blue — to produce extraordinarily rich, saturated colors that pop off the screen.
But you don't need 4K material to be wowed by this projector. Sony has some of the best video processing available in a consumer projector, and one of its biggest strengths is upscaling HD content to 4K quality. Sony calls this advanced processor Reality Creation, and it's based on ten years' experience upscaling movies to 4K in thousands of theaters worldwide.
How do you improve on 4K? Add HDR.
HDR (High Dynamic Range) can significantly expand overall picture contrast range with both deeper blacks and brighter highlights. HDR gives colors more pop, too.
There's lots of of HDR-encoded 4K movies and shows available from streaming services like Netflix® and Amazon Instant Video. Since the VPL-VW295ES has no built-in web apps, you'll need to connect a 4K media streamer to explore this great-looking content. Of course, for the large images of projector systems, the ultimate high-resolution source is an Ultra HD Blu-ray player.
Sony designed the VPL-VW295ES for easy setup, with a powered zoom lens and powered lens shift for adjusting the image either horizontally or vertically, to allow for off-center projector placement. Sony's recommended maximum screen size is 200", which is huge, but you'll also get amazing results with much smaller screens, including those sized 100" or less.
Out-of-the-box picture settings are so spot on — especially the Reference picture mode — that you'll be tempted to leave them as-is. But if you like to tweak, you can fine-tune brightness, contrast, and color to suit a wide range of rooms, screens, and video sources.
And gamers will be pleased to hear that Sony reduced the input lag on the VPL-VW295ES, making video games more responsive than ever.
For the best picture quality from this 4K projector, we recommend using a 4K-rated projector screen.
- Ultra High Definition home theater projector
- High Dynamic Range (HDR 10 and HLG) for extended picture contrast and brightness with HDR sources
- widescreen 16:9/17:9 aspect ratio (can also display 4:3 material)
- 3 SXRD panels with Full Digital Cinema 4K resolution (4096 x 2160 pixels each)
- recommended image size: 60" to 300"
- light output: 1500 ANSI lumens
- Reality Creation upscaling sharpens high-definition video sources to near-4K quality
- TRILUMINOS™ Display technology for a wider color range
- 10-bit processing enables over one billion colors
- Motionflow™ frame interpolation for improved motion clarity, even on 4K sources
- 3D-ready with built-in RF emitter (active 3D glasses sold separately)
- reduced input lag shortens response time for better video game performance
- 2.1X powered zoom/focus lens (standard-throw)
- lens shift image adjustment (powered, horizontal and vertical)
- 2 HDMI 2.0b inputs
- Ethernet port supports network monitoring and control protocols
- USB input for firmware updates
- RS-232C port for external control of the projector via compatible computer or third-party control device
- two 12V trigger outputs for controlling a motorized screen or other device
- detachable power cord
- 225-watt UHP lamp (lasts up to 6000 hours in Eco mode)
- ultra-quiet cooling fan (26 dB)
- illuminated remote control
- can be placed on a tabletop or ceiling-mounted (mounting bracket sold separately)
- 19-1/2"W x 8-1/8"H x 18-1/4"D
- weight: 31 lbs.
- warranty: 3 years parts & labor carry-in service (90 days on lamp)
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- Note: projectors don't include any type of built-in TV tuner, but they can display signals from an HDTV tuner, satellite receiver or cable box
Features and Specs
|Resolution (pixels)||4096 x 2160|
|Contrast Ratio||Not given|
|Approximate Lamp Life||2000-6000|
|Brightness (in ANSI Lumens)||1500white/1500color|
|Vertical Lens Shift||Yes|
|Horizontal Lens Shift||Yes|
|Vertical Keystone Correction||No|
|Horizontal Keystone Correction||No|
|Parts Warranty||3 Years|
|Labor Warranty||3 Years|
|Type of Warranty Service||Carry-in|
|Total Video Inputs||2|
|Wireless HDMI Input||No|
|Component Video Inputs||None|
|Composite Video Inputs||None|
|USB Media Port||No|
Looking for more? Check out the next model in this lineup.
Get a brighter projector with a dynamic iris for superior contrast, black levels, and HDR quality.
The Sony VPL-VW695ES offers these features:
Advanced Iris dynamic iris
350,000:1 dynamic contrast ratio
higher light output: 1800 lumens
Picture Position Memory stores settings for multiple movie aspect ratios
Frequently Compared With
SXRD™ 4K home theater projector with HDR (2018 model)$4,999.99
SXRD™ 4K home theater projector with HDR (2017 model)
SXRD™ 4K home theater projector with HDR (2017 model)$7,999.99
SXRD™ 4K home theater projector with HDR (2018 model)$9,999.99