Logitech® Harmony® Companion
Remote control for home entertainment and automation devices (Black)
| Watch a product review |
Crutchfield: Logitech Harmony Companion (Harmony Home Control)
From Logitech: Harmony Home Control
Our take on the Logitech® Harmony® Companion by Crutchfield's Ralph Graves
Control for A/V devices and much more
The Logitech Harmony Companion gives you one-touch control over your home entertainment system — and many types of home automation systems, too. So you can control your Lutron dimmers, Nest Learning Thermostat, August smart locks and more all from your smartphone or tablet.
This Harmony system lets your mobile device control up to eight different home theater components. It comes with everything you need — a free downloadable app for your smartphone, a wireless hub to forward commands from your phone to your A/V components, and a powerful remote for others to use.
Control both home entertainment components and home automation devices using your smartphone.
Intuitive control through the Harmony App
Harmony's free app is available to both iPhone® and Android™ users. Swipe your phone's touchscreen to change from one component's control panel to the next. You can also group commands together under one-touch activity icons for both entertainment and home automation control.
Tap "Watch Movie" for example, and the app automatically turns on your TV, receiver, and Blu-ray player — whatever combination is required to make it work in your system. Select “Good Morning,” and your Lutron-controlled blinds open and lights turns on, and your bedroom stereo system starts playing music.
Control devices behind closed doors
The hub connects to your home Wi-Fi® network and converts signals from your smartphone into infrared (IR) signals your components can understand. This handy low-profile hub comes with two infrared mini-blasters so you can control components stored behind closed cabinet doors.
All this and a hand-held remote, too
The Harmony Companion system comes with a backup remote, for times when you're not carrying your phone in your pocket. It features one-touch buttons for the most common activities — like listening to music, watching TV, or watching a movie. It's a perfect way for houseguests, babysitters, parents, children, and others to use your home theater system.
Simple, guided setup has always been a big part of Harmony's success. To get started, just download the free MyHarmony software to your Mac or PC. Then connect the hub to it via the provided USB cable. MyHarmony will help you program your remote by asking some simple questions about your system and how you use it. It then downloads the commands and command sequences and sends them wirelessly to your remote. And you can use MyHarmony to update your remote whenever you upgrade your system with new gear.
- free downloadable Harmony control app
- for Apple® and Android™ smartphones and tablets
- compatible with Amazon Echo (Alexa) and Google Home
- easy step-by-step setup
- swipe and tap touchscreen control app
- one-touch activity icons for entertainment (such as "Watch TV") and home automation (such as "Dinner Party")
- up to 50 one-touch TV channel icons
- controls up to 8 devices
- available from iTunes® and Google Play
- Harmony Hub
- connects to Wi-Fi® network
- 1 IR mini-blaster for controlling a device inside a cabinet
- Bluetooth for control of PS3 and Wii game consoles
- IR control for Xbox 360 and Xbox One
- personalized favorites and settings
- USB port for downloading commands from Logitech's website (USB cable included)
- Home Control remote
- one-touch TV, movie, and music activity buttons
- customizable buttons
- 2 "AAA" batteries (included)
- controls up to 8 devices
- comfortable, ergonomic design
- not an IR remote
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- Apple®: iPhone® 4S or later, iPad® (3rd generation or later), iPad mini®, iPod touch® (5th generation or later)
- Android: Wi-Fi enabled smartphone with Android 4.0 or later
- USB port
- Apple: Mac OS X 10.6 or later
What's in the Box:
- Remote control
- AC power adapter (w/ attached 6' DC cord)
- CR2032 3V battery (installed in remote)
- IR mini-blaster (w/ attached 8' cable)
- 23" microUSB-to-USB cable
- Setup Guide
- Important Information
This device worked perfectly to connect my Directv service to my Echo devices.
David, Sheffield Vlg, OH
Logitech® Harmony® Companion Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Harmony Companion: The Harmony Companion remote system provides maximum flexibility for controlling your home entertainment and automation gear. Choose to control your home entertainment or automation system from the included remote or from the Harmony App on your Apple iOS or Android device. You can control up to 8 different devices from the Harmony Companion system.
App Based Setup: The first time you set up the Harmony Smart Control system, the Harmony App for Apple iOS 8.0+ or Android OS 4.0+ walks you through the setup process on your smartphone or tablet and stores your settings in your personal account. Your settings can then be wirelessly transmitted to your Harmony Hub, your Harmony Smart Control remote, or any other supported mobile device. If anything ever happens to your smartphone, Harmony Hub, or remote control, you can use these saved settings to set up a replacement system with ease.
Note: Harmony Smart Control supports 2.4GHz 802.11 b/g/n wireless networks with WPA, WPA2-AES, and 64/128 bit WEP encryption.
Hub: The Hub is at the center of the Harmony Companion remote system. Whether you use the Harmony App on your compatible mobile device or the included remote control, the Hub stores your setup information and communicates between the remote control or app and your entertainment system devices. Placed near your television, set top box, game console and other equipment, it uses Infrared (IR), Bluetooth (RF), and WiFi to control your various devices.
- Bluetooth (RF): The included remote control doesn't control devices directly, but communicates with the Hub using radio frequency (RF), which then relays the command to your devices using IR.
- Infrared (IR): IR signals are sent from the Hub and reflect off of walls and other surfaces before reaching your devices. Direct line of sight is generally not required. An IR mini blaster is included to extend the range of the Hub allowing you to control devices that are on other shelves or outside your cabinet, such as a television.
- WiFi Connection: Connecting the Hub to your WiFi network has multiple advantages, such as enabling use of the Harmony app on your smartphone/tablet, providing Philips hue lighting control, and wirelessly syncing settings between your remote and your MyHarmony account. The Harmony Hub supports 802.11g/n with WPA Personal, WPA2-AES, or 64/128-bit WEP encryption.
RF Remote Control: This universal RF remote control combines up to 8 remotes into 1 simple controller. The remote control offers an ergonomic feel and intuitive design. The remote fits comfortably in your hand with buttons that are grouped by how you use them and shaped so you can feel your way around them without looking at the remote. The remote is powered by a single CR2032 3V lithium battery.
Harmony Control App: In addition to the remote control that comes with the Harmony Companion remote system, you can use select Apple iOS and Android mobile devices with the Harmony Control App as a remote control. Your smartphone will communicate with the Hub over WiFi allowing your smartphone/tablet to control your entertainment and automation devices. You can use swipe or tap gestures to adjust volume, change channels, fast forward, rewind, and more. Plus you get access to one-touch Activity controls and Favorite channels. From the app you can also enter model numbers and brands to add devices.
- Apple iOS: Download the Harmony Control App from the Apple App store onto your Apple iOS (8.0+) device.
- Android: Download the Harmony Control app from the Google Play store onto your Android (OS 4.0+) device.
Note: Your Apple iOS or Android device must be connected to the same WiFi network as the Hub.
One-Touch Controls: The Harmony Companion remote system uses Activity-based controls to give you one-touch operation of your home entertainment & automation system.
- Entertainment Activities: You can create Activities that manage how you use your devices together. For example, if you have a TV, AV receiver, and cable or satellite box, you will want to control all of these devices when you watch TV. To control all of these devices together, create a Watch TV Activity. When you have completed adding your Watch TV Activity, you can add the other Activities. Types of Activities will depend on the types of devices you have in your entertainment system. You can add multiple Activities based on each type of Activity offered, such as Watch TV, Watch Movie, or Play Game.
- Custom Activities: Most Activities should fit into one of the Activity types offered. The Custom Activity type is recommended only for home appliances such as light controllers, fans, climate control devices, etc. These may be configured manually from the MyHarmony website or the Harmony Control app.
- One Touch System Off: The Off button on either the Harmony Companion remote or the app powers off all of the devices for an Activity with one touch. For example, in a Watch TV Activity that uses a TV, Cable Box, and AV Receiver, pressing the Off button will power off all three devices at the same time.
Note: The Harmony Companion system knows the current state of the devices it controls by remembering the last Activity you selected. For example, if you switch from watching cable TV to watching a DVD, the Harmony Companion knows that it doesn't need to power the TV off and back on; it just leaves the TV turned on. It also it knows that it needs to power off the cable box and power on the DVD player.
Favorites: Using the MyHarmony desktop software or the Harmony Control app on your smartphone/tablet you can select up to 50 Favorite channels for easier access through the Harmony Control app on your Apple iOS or Android mobile device. Selecting a Favorite Channel will start your "Watch TV" Activity, if it's not already started, and tune directly to that channel.
Note: The Favorites feature is not available on the included remote control.
Command Customization: The Harmony Companion remote system allows you to customize the commands that each button sends, or what commands appear in your Activity list. These button mappings may be unique for each of your Activities. This allows each button or screen to have different functions based on context. For example, in your Watch a DVD Activity, the yellow button may perform the eject command, while in your Listen to Music Activity this same yellow button may be used to pull up your Favorite preset.
Other Controls: With the Harmony Companion remote system you can easily access guides, menus, and recorded programs; as well as control playback, with dedicated buttons.
Home Automation: The Harmony Companion remote system lets you integrate home automation with home entertainment control to create a personalized home experience.
- Philips Hue Lighting: The Harmony Companion remote system is able to communicate with Philips hue wireless lighting systems when the Hub is configured to use your home's WiFi network. Once paired to hue, you are able to configure light, color, and brightness settings from the remote and app for each Activity. For example, you could turn on lights and turn them blue when you watch TV, and dim the lights and turn them yellow for a movie. These settings can be programmed as part of an Activity so that optimal lighting will always be set for each Activity.
- Other Smart Home Automation: Using the Harmony Companion system you'll also be able to control smart home automation devices from Nest, Lutron, August, and PEQ from the included remote or the Harmony Control app on your smartphone/tablet.
Alexa Compatible: Connect any Logitech Harmony hub-based remote with an Amazon Alexa enabled product (including the Amazon Echo, Echo Dot, Tap and Echo Show - all sold separately) and you can start or stop Harmony Activities with just your voice. In addition to Activities (like "Watch TV"), you can also control playback functions such as Play, Pause, & Resume, as well as raise or lower the volume. When Logitech Harmony and Amazon Alexa work together, you bring the power of voice to your home entertainment center.
- Amazon Alexa and the Logitech Harmony skill is currently only able to support a single Harmony Hub. If you have more than one Harmony Hub you will be asked to select one during the skill linking process.
- Some Harmony Activity or Favorite TV channel names conflict with things Amazon Alexa would like to do natively. For example, Activities with the word "Music", "Pandora", or "Spotify" will often not trigger through Harmony and will instead begin playing music through Alexa. You may want to consider, "Alexa, tell Harmony to turn on the tunes" as a friendly name to trigger a Harmony music-based Activity.
Interference Warning: Avoid operating your devices using the original, manufactures remote control or by powering it on and off using the buttons on the device itself as doing so will cause Harmony to become out of sync with your devices. For example, if you select the Watch TV Activity and then use your TV remote to turn off the TV, the next time you want to select an Activity, the Harmony Companion system will think that your TV is already powered on and will not turn it on. Other things that can confuse the Harmony Companion system include inter-device communication that turns devices on or off, such as HDMI-CEC.
Dimensions: Dimension for the Remote, Hub, and IR mini-blaster.
- Remote: 2.1875" (w) x 0.9375" (h) x 7.3125"
- Hub: 4.9375" (w) x 1.0625" (h) x 4.6875" (d)
- IR Mini-Blaster: 1.4375" (w) x 0.5" (h) x 1.0" (d); 8' cable length
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Why did you buy this?
Because your advisor Jenny recommended it. [ jamie Aug 10, 2018 ]
Because i bought a Projector and i need an automatic wake up option, so this controller offers me this option! [ Cesar Ernesto Aug 01, 2018 ]
needed it to control Directv through Amazon Alexa [ Keff Mar 14, 2018 ]
I hope to simplify the use of smart TV, soundbar, blue-ray player and streaming music. I rely on Crutchfield to help me with questions. [ DEAN H Feb 13, 2018 ]
I am smart controlling my home and needed this item and Crutchfield has good reviews with both products and customer service. [ David Jan 30, 2018 ]
Convenience. Also, I like this brand. [ Mary Jan 04, 2018 ]
Supposed to be the best. [ RYAN R Dec 11, 2017 ]
Just purchased Google Home and Samsung Smarthings and I wanted to control TV and other electronic equipment with voice commands. [ C Nov 29, 2017 ]
Blends in with other components. [ Steven Nov 28, 2017 ]
prior experience with Logitech products and price. [ henry Oct 08, 2017 ]
Previous experience with Harmony [ James Aug 15, 2017 ]
To hopefully replace 4 HT remotes. [ Darryl Jul 31, 2017 ]
I own a Logitech Harmony One remote for 8 years now and never had a problem with it, with the new dual zone receiver I purchased I wanted to upgrade to Harmony remote that included home automation. I owned or have owned other Logitech products and those product never failed. Logitech makes good products what else can I say. [ James May 03, 2017 ]
Needed to replace an old Harmony 650 and the sale price sweetened the deal. [ Justin Apr 19, 2017 ]
Building an AV closet and my close friend recommended it for the RF abilities. [ Jim Apr 17, 2017 ]
best quality for sound system hopefully [ Milonis Apr 11, 2017 ]
Well built and easy set up. [ Scott Jan 04, 2017 ]
RF and smart phone capable. [ Scott Dec 15, 2016 ]
Need to control a remote stereo system and TV [ P Dec 14, 2016 ]
Online reviews. [ Donald Nov 25, 2016 ]
simple design, low maintenance for batteries/charging, has RF. [ Benjamin Oct 14, 2016 ]
Past experience with Logitech Harmony Smart Control; this is the updated version. [ Joseph Sep 10, 2016 ]
Needed a second universal remote in the home and, for years, have been a huge fan of my Harmony One. Thought this one was worth a try. [ Todd Aug 04, 2016 ]
Love the ability to control devices behind a closed door with my phone. [ Alan Jul 11, 2016 ]
I have more than 4 remotes plus one that refuses to control my amp for suround sound. I need this if it works [ Kenneth May 17, 2016 ]
Great product very easy to set up works with other home smart devices like lights etc. [ MARCO May 17, 2016 ]
Hub functionality was what I needed for my setup. According to Crutchfields and several external review sites, this product did all of what the more expensive Elite version did at a fraction of the price. [ Kevin Mar 14, 2016 ]
Recommended by a tech guy [ Gil Feb 29, 2016 ]
Crutchfield made me an offer I couldn't refuse. [ Steven Feb 27, 2016 ]
I have two and wanted another one at $50 off. [ PALMER Feb 22, 2016 ]
fits my needs [ Ronald Dec 08, 2015 ]
7 questions already asked
With an adapter I believe it is Z wave compatible so maybe depending on your Insteon hub. [ Michael Mar 17, 2015 ]
Gedeon J [ Gedeon Mar 05, 2015 ]
I'm not sure. The Logitech "Home Control" series is wifi. The control of the devices is either wifi or ir. This means that the Logitech hub blasts the ir signal to your devices. Certified items like Sonos speakers are controlled via wifi. The remote doesn't actually have an IR blaster. Your insteon devices still need to be controlled by your insteon hub. I think Crutchfield gives you 60 days to return. I would buy the remote and test it yourself. You may also consider ditching Insteon for a system compatible with your Harmony remote. Harmony is coming out with a zigbee/zwave hub that will open up options for a whole slue of products. I currently use 2gig products for door locks and alarm. And Control4 for music and media. I'm in the process of ditching my Control4 stuff for Harmony in favor of the DIY option. [ Matt Mar 04, 2015 ]
Normal use after set up of devices does not require internet access. I used internet access to logitech to set mine up. I don't remember if I could have set devices up with out internet access. Hope this helped [ THOMAS S Sep 07, 2017 ]
For remote only, you don't need internet. But if you'd like to integrate with a smart home statement, most likely that will require Internet connection. That is actually dictated by your smart home system. I use SmartThings and IFTT with my Harmony and both require internet. [ Scott Sep 07, 2017 ]
Yes, it works perfectly for my Amazon Fire TV. The Harmony app will guide you through how to add it as a remote for it. You won't be able to do voice control though. [ Kenny Sep 05, 2017 ]
Yes it does. Great remote. [ Casey Mar 12, 2017 ]
If you purchased the product from Crutchfield, feel free to contact our Tech Support team. They can walk you through the settings on the product and see if there may be a fix. Our toll-free Tech Support number is printed on your invoice, and is also available under the "My Orders" tab in the "My Account" section of our website. If you did not purchase the unit from Crutchfield, then you may want to contact the manufacturer. You can also post your question in our forums: http://community.crutchfield.com. Or try our online support center: http://crutchfield.custhelp.com/app/answers/list/kw/. [ Krissy May 27, 2016 ] Staff
I really don't know. Perhaps if you call Logitech support they may be able to assist. [ Torrey May 21, 2016 ]
2 answers Here is my question for a DiY basement home theater project. All of my AV equipment will be inside a space under my steps in the basement that is closed off by a door. Inside that space will be all my AV components including the harmony hub. I understand that the hub IR will be able to "talk" to all of the equipment IN the space under the stairs. My question is...I have a projector outside of the space that will not necessarily be in line of site of the remote. What should I do? [ Marcus17 Dec 06, 2014 ]
There is no IR output on the remote itself. However, there are two ports on the back of the Hub for IR extenders (one is included in the package). You will need an additional extender with a cable long enough to reach your projector or a 2.5mm extension cable. [ J WESTON Feb 09, 2015 ]
I forwarded your question to an Advisor and they responded with the following: You should still be able to program the projector to work with the Harmony remote, but the remote will have to be pointed at the IR sensor on the projector, since it is still out in the open. The Harmony remote should still output a standard IR signal, which should work with the projector. If you would like to discuss further you can contact an Advisor directly by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat. [ Krissy Dec 10, 2014 ] Staff