Our take on the Pioneer AVH-4200NEX by Crutchfield's Ken Nail
The smart choice for your smartphone
The AVH-4200NEX DVD receiver incorporates Pioneer's "Network Entertainment Experience" (NEX), an innovative combination of built-in features and cloud-based services that connect with your smartphone or tablet to offer familiar apps and interfaces when you're in the car. And best of all, it'll work with Apple® or Android™ phones.
This Pioneer supports CarPlay — integrating your iPhone® into the driving experience in a seamless interface, putting iPhone content at the driver's fingertips with minimal distraction. You'll enjoy easy access to your music library, your phone, messages, navigation, and many third party streaming music apps, too. Learn more at www.apple.com/ios/carplay.
As an added bonus, you can access Siri Eyes Free functionality with a touch of the receiver's touchscreen, using your voice to place calls, select music, hear notification, add reminders — even compose and listen to text messages.
If you're an Android fan, you'll love how Android Auto integrates the Android platform into your driving experience in a non-distracting way. You'll have voice control access to Google Maps, weather, music, your phone, text messages, plus easy access to many of your favorite apps. Get more info at www.android.com/auto.
A 7" display you can make your own
Customize the touchscreen by moving icons around to create shortcuts to your favorite sources and apps. And you've got a choice of colors and backgrounds that'll let you tailor the look to match your vehicle. Video content plays in bright, clear detail when you're parked, and when you're on the road, you can entertain your passengers by sending a movie from the receiver to a rear-seat screen. And of course you can plug in a rear-view camera to play it safe in crowded parking lots.
AppRadio mode and AppRadioLIVE
Pioneer's AppRadio mode and AppRadioLIVE offer some other cool features. Launch and control compatible iPhone apps from the face of your receiver with AppRadio mode. You can see the latest compatible apps here. And for more functionality, download the free AppRadioLIVE app to your phone and you can sync many popular apps and services into a single, easy-to-use interface, giving you easy control over maps, media, news, and calendars.
AppRadioLIVE offers a clean interface for music, nav, weather, and more.
iDatalink Maestro lets you keep your factory extras
The AVIC-4200NEX offers compatibility you won't find in many other aftermarket radios, thanks to the iDatalink Maestro module (not included).
- Ford SYNC systems: you'll be able to retain voice-controlled features, steering wheel audio controls, and factory audio functions
- GM vehicles: you'll keep your steering wheel audio controls, your factory amp, safety warning chimes, and OnStar
- Chrysler: you'll keep all your Uconnect functionality
- Toyota: you'll keep your factory amplifer, auxiliary and USB inputs, rear-view camera, and steering wheel audio controls
- Volkswagen: you'll retain the factory Bluetooth, the factory digital amplifier and fader, plus VW's media device interface
The iDatalink adapter also lets you tap into your vehicle's diagnostic port, so you can check out expanded functionality including gauges, climate controls, a distance sensor, and tire pressure monitor on the Pioneer's screen.
Hi-Res music and more
Crave the best sound quality? You'll be stoked that the AVH-4200NEX supports FLAC file playback, for compression-free CD-quality sound when you're cruising down the highway. And don't forget, you can also enjoy all your CDs, DVDs, discs full of MP3 or WMA music, SD cards, or USB storage devices loaded with files. You can connect your iPod® or iPhone to one the receiver's two rear USB inputs and use the receiver's controls to access your playlists, with tools like Alphabet Search and Link Search to help you zero in on the song you want. Android users — you'll be able to browse and play back the music that's stored on many Android phones.
Radio that's more than radio
The built-in HD Radio tuner delivers crystal-clear FM and AM reception. If you're a fan of streaming Internet radio, you can take charge of your Pandora® account from the touchscreen, complete with thumbs-up and thumbs-down controls, or check out the variety of music and features like audible Facebook updates and tweets from Aha™ Radio. For an outstanding variety of music, news, sports, and talk programming, you can also connect an optional SiriusXM satellite radio tuner. This NEX receiver will even display album art from the satellite feed.
You can make the most of your music with this Pioneer's 13-band EQ. Just swipe your finger on the touchscreen to dial in the curve that brings out tones you're looking for. And you'll find digital time alignment, Auto-EQ, and other powerful tools for compensating for your vehicle's acoustics.
Want to keep your car's steering wheel audio controls?
In most cars, you'll need an adapter to retain those controls with this car stereo. Connect a few wires, then program the adapter for your particular car and radio, and you'll retain the convenience of your steering wheel controls. You'll see the adapters that work with your vehicle when you add this receiver to your cart.
Bluetooth note: Use of this receiver's Bluetooth features will depend upon your phone's Bluetooth capabilities. Learn more in our article explaining Bluetooth profiles.
iPod/smartphone note: If you're going to use your iPod or smartphone with this receiver, be sure to check "Details" for compatibility information.
- DVD/CD receiver with internal amp (14 watts RMS CEA-2006/50 peak x 4 channels)
- detachable 7" motorized touchscreen with multi-angle adjustments
- Bluetooth hands-free calling and audio streaming
- built-in HD Radio tuner
- five customizable display colors and 112 key panel illumination choices
- MIXTRAX for a DJ-inspired audio/visual experience
- fits double-DIN dash openings
- remote control
Smartphone Features (see Details for info on compatibility with specific smartphones and apps):
- Apple CarPlay compatible
- Android Auto compatible
- AppRadio Mode for smartphone integration
- AppRadioLIVE compatible with free Pioneer app
- built-in iPod, iPhone, and iPad control
- playback and control of music files on compatible Android devices
- Siri Hands Free compatible with compatible iPhones
- Pandora and Aha Radio control with iPhone and Android
- plays audio/video content from CDs, DVDs, SD cards, and USB memory devices (see Details tab for full capabilities)
- plays lossless FLAC audio files (up to 192kHz/24-bit) from flash media
- 13-band graphic equalizer with 7 preset EQ curves
- high- and low-pass filters
- Advanced Sound Retriever
- dual-zone audio
- Auto-EQ equalizes for your car interior automatically (optional mic required)
- works with SiriusXM SXV300 tuner—supports Tune Mix, Traffic & Weather Now, and Sports Flash features
- optional navigation module
- compatible with iDatalink Maestro to retain factory settings for Ford, GM, Chrysler, and VW
- inputs: rear A/V input, two rear USB inputs, HDMI input, dual rear-view camera inputs
- outputs: video output, 6-channel preamp outputs (4-volt front, rear, subwoofer)
- compatible with most factory steering wheel audio controls (adapter required)
- CEA-2006 compliant
- compatible with iDatalink Maestro
- retains factory features for Ford, GM, Chrysler, Toyota, and VW
- displays engine performance data on touchscreen
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- DVD receiver (10A fuse)
- Detchable 6.95" touchscreen monitor (installed)
- Wiring harness
- Remote control (CD-R33)
- CR2025 3V lithium battery (installed in remote)
- 58" USB extension cable
- Microphone w/ bracket (attached 13' cable terminated by a right-angle 2.5mm connector)
- Two-sided tape
- 6 Pan-head ISO screws (M5 x 6mm)
- 6 Flat-head ISO screws (M5 x 6mm)
- Carrying case
- Owner's Manual (En/Fr/Sp)
- Warranty sheet (USA/Canada)
- "CarPlay" notice
- "LCD touchscreen" note
- "Caution" note
Great product. I just wish the screen was better (easier to see) in sunlight and not affected by finger prints so much.
Lance, Montgomery, TX
Pioneer AVH-4200NEX Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|AUX Input||Mini (rear), RCA (rear)|
|Audio/video Input||HDMI (rear), Mini (rear), RCA (rear)|
|USB Input||Rear (2)|
|Memory Card Slot||USB. SD|
|Satellite Radio Ready||SiriusXM 3.0|
|RMS Power (CTA-2006)||14 watts|
|RMS Power (Manufacturer)||22 watts|
|Peak Output||50 watts|
|RMS Power Bandwidth||20-20kHz|
|Sub Preamp Outputs||Yes|
|Switchable Rear Preamp Outputs||No|
|Preamp Voltage||4 volts|
|Key Button Color||Variable|
|Steering Wheel Control Compatible||Adapter required|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
|FM Sensitivity||11 dBf|
|Radio Data System||Yes|
Touchscreen & Remote Control
CarPlay & Android Auto
AppRadio + AppRadioLive
iPod/iPhone Music Playback
Audio & DSP Section
AV + OEM Connectivity
Motorized 6.95" Clear Resistive LCD Touchscreen: The Pioneer AVH-4200NEX features a 6.95" clear resistive LCD touchscreen with a display resolution of 800 x 480 (RGB), for a total of 1,152,000 pixels. The clear resistive panel is designed to enhance the visibility of on-screen graphics and images, making them appear clear and crisp. The LCD touchscreen allows you to control this unit and a connected component - such as an iPod/iPhone, Android smartphone, a USB MSC device, or Bluetooth source. Menus appear on screen for making function choices, audio adjustments, and setting up the system. The unit's 6.95" touchscreen display is motorized and electronically slides down to load/eject your DVD/CD discs. The angle of the motorized touchscreen display can also be adjusted to five different positions to meet your viewing needs in the car.
- Favorites: You can register the desired menu items on the AVH-4200NEX's "Favorites" menu screen. Registering your favorite menu items allows you to quickly jump to the registered menu item by a simple touch on the favorites menu. Up to 12 menu items can be registered as a "Favorite".
- OSD + Backgrounds: The color of the on-screen display can be set to red, amber, green, blue or white. The background display can be selected from 8 different preset displays for the AV Operation screen and 5 different preset displays for the Home Menu screen. In addition, you can change the background display to other images imported from an external USB or SD/SDHC device.
- Widescreen Modes: You can choose from the following widescreen modes when playing back video - Full (4:3 picture is enlarged in the horizontal direction only; enabling you to enjoy a 4:3 picture without any omissions), Zoom (4:3 picture is enlarged in the same proportion both vertically and horizontally; ideal for a 16:9 screen), Normal (4:3 picture is displayed as it is).
- Picture Adjustments: You can store numerous video settings for the head unit's video source and rear-view camera; including brightness (adjusts the black intensity), contrast (adjusts contrast) color (adjusts color saturation), temperature (adjust the color temperature), and Dimmer (adjusts brightness).
- Dimmer: To prevent the display from being too bright at night, the display is automatically dimmed when the car's headlights are turned on. The automatic dimmer function only works when the orange/white illumination wire in the wiring harness is connected to the vehicle's headlight circuit. You can also manually dim the display.
Note: This unit has a parking brake interlock system that prohibits viewing of video programming and operating certain controls when the vehicle is in motion. In order to watch video on the in-dash monitor, the vehicle must be stopped with the parking brake engaged. The head unit's light green wire must be connected to your vehicle's parking brake detection circuit. The head unit's touchscreen will display "Attention! Viewing of front seat video source while driving is strictly prohibited", if you try to watch a video when your vehicle is in motion.
Detachable Face Security: The Pioneer AVH-4200NEX's 6.95" touchscreen monitor can be detached from the chassis to deter theft (soft carrying case included). You can also enter a 5 to 16 character password that must be entered if the head unit is disconnected from power.
Variable Illumination: The AVH-4200NEX offers custom illumination for the front-panel controls so you can match your vehicle's interior, plus MIXTRAX Illumination for DJ-style illumination in your vehicle.
- Front-Panel Control w/ Custom Illumination: In addition to the touchscreen controls, the unit includes frequently used buttons along the bottom edge of the screen. The color of the button illumination can be set to red, amber, green, blue, white, or scan (constantly cycling through the color spectrum). You can also create a custom color to match your vehicle's interior lighting (112 colors to choose from).
- MIXTRAX Illumination: MIXTRAX features club-style illumination that enhances the mood with a dynamic dance club-like lighting effect. As MIXTRAX begins, lights start pulsing to the beat of the music, adding an extra level of entertainment. Choose among multiple patterns of lighting variations from sound pressure level or low-pass synchronization modes.
Remote Control: The Pioneer AVH-4200NEX receiver comes with an IR wireless remote control, plus support for factory steering wheel control (adapter sold separately).
- Wireless Remote Control: The Pioneer AVH-4200NEX includes an IR remote control for wireless operation of the multimedia head unit and your connected devices.
- Steering Wheel Remote Compatibility: The head unit features an OEM steering wheel remote control input on the rear of the unit that lets you keep your vehicle's factory radio steering wheel remote controls when used with an optional steering wheel audio control adapter (sold separately).
Apple CarPlay: The Pioneer AVH-4200NEX features Apple CarPlay, the smarter and safer way to use your iPhone in the car. The Pioneer AVH-4200NEX supports Apple CarPlay through your USB-connected iPhone (iOS 7.1+) with Lightning connector. Your iPhone can be connected to the NEX-series head unit's USB-1 port via the included USB extension cable and a Lightning-to-USB cable. Apple CarPlay gives iPhone users an incredibly intuitive way to make calls, use Maps, listen to music, and access messages through Siri voice control and the Pioneer receiver's touchscreen controls.
- Maps: Apple CarPlay brings the power and simplicity of Apple Maps to your dashboard; complete with turn-by-turn direction, traffic conditions, and estimated travel time. You can enter a new destination or choose a favorite or recent destination using the head unit's touchscreen or by simply asking Siri. CarPlay can also predict where you most likely want to go using addresses from your email, text messages, contacts, and calendars.
- Phone & Messages: Via Apple CarPlay, you'll be able to make calls, return missed calls, and listen to voicemails through the Pioneer head receiver. Siri can also help you do all these things. In addition, Siri can send, read, and reply to your text messages for you; so you never have to look at your iPhone while driving.
- Music Library: Through Apple CarPlay, you can access your artists, song, playlists, and iTunes Radio on your iPhone using the Pioneer head unit's touchscreen. Or, just tell Siri what you'd like to listen to. The head unit's touchscreen will display song/artist information, as well as album art in the background.
- Apps: CarPlay also supports additional audio apps that you've downloaded to your iPhone for enjoying music, radio, sports, news, podcasts, & audiobooks. Control them from the head unit's touchscreen just like you would from your iPhone. Apple continues to add more apps to CarPlay. Current supported apps include (fees may apply) -
Android Auto: The Pioneer NEX receiver supports the Android Auto app for Android smartphones running OS Lollipop (5.0 or newer). Your compatible Android smartphone must be connected to the NEX receiver's USB-2 port via the included USB extension cable and a microUSB-to-USB cable, plus be paired via Bluetooth (your vehicle's parking brake needs to be engaged to initially setup Android Auto). Android Auto extends the Android platform into your car in a way that's purpose-built for driving and automatically brings you useful information and organizes it into simple on-screen "card-style" pop-ups that appear just when they're needed. It's designed to minimize distraction so you can stay focused on the road ahead. Features of Android Auto include:
- Google Speech Technology: The Pioneer NEX receiver enhances your Android Auto experience even more by incorporating Google's Speech Technology using the head unit's external microphone and your car speakers for voice command and text-to-speech, which makes using Android Auto and all of its integrated applications fast, easy, and safe. You will need to press the on-screen "mic" icon to activate Google Speech.
- Maps: Use Google Maps to get where you're going with on-screen maps, voice-guided navigation, live traffic information, lane guidance, and more. Select your destination by using the head unit's touchscreen or just say where you want to go through the unit's external mic and Google Speech Technology.
- Phone & SMS: With Android Auto you get access to your contacts and messages through the Pioneer NEX receiver while keeping your eyes on the road. Use the unit's external mic and Google Speech Technology to make a phone call, or have your text-messages read aloud to you while you concentrate on the road ahead; you can even reply to texts via voice command.
- Music: Access your Android smartphone's music library through the Pioneer receiver via Google Play Music. You'll be able to browse music like you do on your smartphone with song/artist information display and album art. Use the receiver's touchscreen to select songs or just say what song you want to listen to through the head unit's external mic and Google Speech Technology. You also get access to online music and radio stations from Amazon Music, Pandora, Spotify, iHeart Radio, Slacker Radio, & Tune-In. Music apps include song and station browsing, plus song/artist information and album art or station logo.
Note: Android smartphones with a USB Type-C connector (including the Pixel) may not function without appropriate USB Type-A to USB Type-C cable. Click here for more details.
Data Plan Required: Your iPhone or Android smartphone will need an active Data Plan account with connection to the Internet via 3G, EDGE, LTE (4G), or WiFi for CarPlay and Android Auto to function. Access to CarPlay and Android Auto's online app services will depend on the availability of a cellular and/or WiFi network for purposes of allowing your iPhone or Android smartphone to connect to the Internet. App services may not be available in all regions.
Smartphone Charging: The Pioneer Receiver's USB connection provides 1.6A of current to power and charge your connected iPhone or Android smartphone during CarPlay or Android Auto. Your vehicle's ignition switch must be set to the 'ACC' or 'On' position. If your mobile device has no initial battery charge, then the head unit will not recognize it.
Optional USB Extension Cable: If you need an additional USB extension cable, use Pioneer's CD-MU200 cable (130CDMU200, sold separately).
- For Apple Car Play: For Car Play, you will only use the CD-MU200's 58" USB extension cable and not the included 19" micro-to-USB cable. The 19" micro-to-USB cable can be used for Android Auto, if you also have an Android OS device. Any other USB extension cable can cause CarPlay or Android Auto to malfunction.
- For Android Auto: If you need a USB extension cable, use Pioneer's CD-MU200 cable. Any other USB extension cable can cause Android Auto to malfunction.
AppRadio & AppRadioLive Compatibility: The AVH-4200NEX supports Pioneer's AppRadio & AppRadioLive applications through your compatible Apple iPhone (iOS 7.0+) with Lightning connector or MHL-enabled Android smartphone (OS 4.0+). See below for compatibility and what type of cables are needed.
- Apple iOS Compatibility: Use Apple's Lightning-to-Digital AV Adapter, a Lightning-to-USB cable, and a HDMI cable (all sold separately) to connect your iPhone with Lightning connector (iOS 7.0+) to the AVH-4200NEX's rear-panel USB-1 port and HDMI input. Your iPhone will also require Bluetooth pairing with the Pioneer receiver.
- Android Compatibility: You will need a MHL adapter box,
microUSB-to-HDMI cable, and a microUSB-to-USB cable (all sold separately) to connect your compatible MHL-enabled Android smartphone
(OS 4.0+) to the AVH-4200NEX's rear-panel USB-2 port and HDMI input. Click
here for compatible Android devices. The Samsung Galaxy S3/S4/S5 and
Samsung Note II/II/IV also require an additional Samsung adapter (sold
- The Samsung MHL adapter (EPL-FU10BEBSTD, not sold at Crutchfield) is also needed for the Samsung Galaxy S3 and Note II.
- The Samsung HDMI adapter (EPL-3FHUBEGSTD, not sold at Crutchfield) is also needed for the Samsung Galaxy S4 and Note III.
- The Samsung MHL 2.0 adapter (ET-H10FAUWESTA, not sold at Crutchfield) is also needed for the Samsung Galaxy S5 and Note IV.
Note: Your iPhone or Android phone will need an active Data Plan account with connection to the Internet via 3G, EDGE, LTE (4G), or WiFi. Access to these online AppRadio app services will depend on the availability of a cellular and/or WiFi network for purposes of allowing your iPhone to connect to the Internet. AppRadio apps may not be available in all regions.
AppRadio Mode: The Pioneer AVH-4200NEX supports Pioneer's AppRadio mode application for iPhone (iOS 7.0+) with Lightning Connector and select MHL-enabled Android smartphones (OS 4.0+). AppRadio offers full on-screen access and control of your smartphone's music, navigation, calendar, contacts, and more with an intuitive interface; formatted and designed specifically for safer in-vehicle operation. Pioneer has also teamed up with various app providers to offer compatibility with many of today's most popular in-vehicle apps, while also developing an expanding catalog of compatible apps for future use that can be easily & seamlessly added. The AppRadio app for iPhone & Android consists of a variety of navigation, music, & utility apps. These integrated application are displayed on the AVH-4200NEX's LCD touchscreen. You are able to select, view, and even control many of the apps from the Pioneer receiver. Available apps within AppRadio will depend on your type of smartphone (iPhone or Android) and your region.
- Navigation: The following navigation apps can be utilized within
AppRadio. Purchase and Subscription fees may apply for some applications.
- Apple & Google Maps: You can view your iPhone or Android smartphone's Apple or Google maps on the Pioneer head unit's touchscreen as you would on your mobile device.
- Waze: Waze, for iPhone & Android, is a social GPS driving and navigation app that connects you to other drivers. When you download Waze, you not only get a free GPS traffic & navigation app, but also become part of the local driving community in your area, joining forces with other drivers nearby to outsmart traffic, save time and gas, and improve everyone's daily commute.
- INRIX Traffic: INRIX (for iPhone) is a leading provider of highly accurate traffic services. INRIX's strategic partnership with Clear Channel Radio and Total Traffic Network extends the delivery of the highest quality data and broadest coverage available for personal navigation. INRIX Traffic provides real-time traffic information and traffic forecasts for all major highways, interstates, arterials and city streets nationwide. Traffic information will be displayed on the AppRadio, while control is still handled from the iPhone.
- iGO Primo North America: The IGO Primo app (for iPhone) app is powered by the same tried-and-trusted iGO Engine used in millions of GPS navigation devices around the world. The maps are part of the application so there are no roaming fees (no need for cellular network coverage). Highlighted features include; fast, short, easy-to-follow, and green routes, automatic route recalculation, multipoint-route support, smart keyboard & history, TTS Pro, in-app shop, local/POI search, and more.
- Navmii GPS USA: Navmii GPS USA is a free navigation app (for iPhone & Android) that offers turn-by-turn directions, voice and on-screen instructions, offline map use, address search and live search via Google or Microsoft Bing. It uses map data created by a community of thousands of user around the world. The map gets downloaded to the phone, so a data connection is not required.
- Driver Assistant: In addition to navigation apps, AppRadio offers
Driver Assistant apps to help with parking, communication, and vehicle
diagnostic. Purchase and Subscription fees may apply for some applications.
- DashCommand: DashCommand (for iPhone & Android) utilizes the built-in GPS & accelerometer sensors in your phone to provide advanced features such as the skid pad, race track, and inclinometer. A separate OBD-II interface module (sold separately) is required.
- Extra Mile: Extra Mile (for iPhone & Android) is an all-in-one app for convenient voice navigation gives audio feedback to improve your driving performance and conserve fuel.
- Beej!: Beej! (for iPhone) is an in-vehicle location/navigation application. Beej! quickly identifies your position and allows you to select the nearest bank, bar, gas station, hospital, hotel, restaurant and more. Beej! provides a complete list of all the businesses in the category selected, including the distance from your current location and address, with options to get directions or place a call to the selected business.
- Parkopedia: Parkopedia (for iPhone) has grown to cover over 25 million parking spaces in 28 countries around the world thanks to contributions from other drivers. Use this app to find parking using your current location or by entering an address. Get directions straight to the space and see parking space availability in real-time (where available). Find opening hours, up to date prices, payment methods and more. You can quickly narrow down parking choices using filters such as free, credit cards accepted, covered, etc.
- TPMS: The Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) app (for iPhone and Android) automatically monitors pressures and temperatures of tires in real-time. It immediately alerts drivers when there is an abnormal tire pressure through voice alerts and flashing lights.
- Glympse: Glympse (for Android) is the easiest way to safely share your location with someone in real time. No sign-up needed and no new social network to manage. Recipients receive a link allowing them to view your ETA and location in real-time for the length of time you choose. When the timer on your Glympse expires, your location is no longer visible. Best of all, recipients do not need any special software to view a Glympse. Send a Glympse via SMS, email, Facebook or Twitter, and recipients can view it using any web-enabled device.
- Saving Fuel: Saving Fuel (for iPhone) monitors your acceleration, braking cornering, and idling to gather an overall score for each trip. It scores your driving behavior and car health, as well a give you tips to help you drive safely.
- Music: AppRadio mode
gives you access to music stored on your smartphone device and
from various online music services. Purchase and Subscription fees
may apply for some applications.
- CarMediaPlayer: The CarMediaPlayer app (for iPhone & Android) allows you to swipe and directly touch the desired artist, song, or album in your Android device's music library directly from the Pioneer touchscreen with Alphabet Search and Album View functions. Stored movies and videos can also be accessed through the CarMediaPlayer. Video can only be viewed when the vehicle's parking brake is engaged.
- iHeartAuto Radio: The iHeartAuto Radio app (for iPhone & Android) app offers safe, easy, free access to more than 1,500 live radio stations from across the country. Plus, in the same app you can create custom stations based on your favorite artists or songs. With the top live radio stations in America and more than 15 million songs in our catalog, iHeartAuto features more music, backed by better music programming, than any other service available.
- Mixtrax: Pioneer's proprietary Mixtrax app (for iPhone & Android) analyzes the music in your iTunes library to create custom playlists for non-stop song mixes with added DJ effects.
- 7digital: The 7digital app (for Android) is a leading digital music provider which sells high quality MP3s across 32 countries worldwide. With over 20 million tracks in store, you're sure to find what you're looking for. With this app you can Sync your 7digital music from the cloud to your phone wirelessly, play music that is already stored on your device, and browse top album and track charts, new releases and recommendations right on the screen of this Pioneer DVD receiver.
- StreamS HiFi Radio: The StreamS HiFi Radio app (for iPhone) provides access to more than 4,000 live Internet radio stations from across the globe delivered in AAC/HE-AACv1/HE-AACv2 at 32kbps for high fidelity listening.
- gMusic: The Google Music app (for iPhone) allows you to keep up to 20,000 of your favorite songs in the cloud. Now you can listen to your entire music collection without having to use any space on your iOS device. gMusic offers full playlist editing, thumbs up playlist, metadata editing, and innovative navigation.
- Stezza: The Stezza app (for iPhone) has big buttons for big fingers. Featuring a modern design, playing music has never been safer when driving. Multiple color themes for the fashion conscious, all the usual controls, podcasts, and iTunes Match supported.
- Utility: AppRadio mode
offers additional helpful apps along your commute. Purchase and
Subscription fees may apply for some applications.
- Contacts & Calendar: Access your contacts on your iPhone or Android phone from the Pioneer head unit's touchscreen. You can also access your smartphone's calendar; view important events and reminders.
- Photos: View photos stored on your iPhone or Android device. Access albums and camera rolls and even view a slideshow.
- CarBrowser: The CarBrowser app (for iPhone) allows you to search and navigate the internet directly from the Pioneer head unit's touchscreen while the vehicle's parking brake is engaged.
- Commute WX: The Commute WX app (for iPhone) provides real-time weather information (current/forecast/in-route). Weather conditions are featured in large, easy to read graphics in a streamlined user interface that's well suited for in-vehicle travel.
- Top Headlines: The Top Headlines app (for iPhone) is an audible news app which lets you listen to the most recent new updates from multiple sources.
- EC Touch: The EasyCar app (for iPhone) is designed specifically for AppRadio and provides large icons, simple commands, and swipe gestures that enable you to access your iPhone's music, contacts, mapping, and more.
- Voice Directory: The Voice Directory app (for Android) is a hands-free app that uses voice to search Yellow Pages' business listings in the US and call the phone number directly. Use voice to search for a business near you or by city and state, to search by business name or business type, or to call the business directly.
- CarKeyboard: The CarKeyboard app (for Android) allows you to input text directly from the 6.95" touchscreen display of the Pioneer head unit. CarKeyboard is a customizable multi-language keyboard that works in conjunction with the AppRadio app and can also be used as the default keyboard on your Android device.
Note: Click here to view complete list of compatible AppRadio apps.
AppRadioLive: Within the AppRadio App mode is the AppRadioLive App for iPhone (iOS 7.0+) with Lightning connector and select MHL-enabled Android (OS 4.2+) smartphones. The AppRadioLive app simplifies AppRadio mode and your drive by combining the information you need during your commute into a single, easy-to-use interface. Maps, media, news information, and your events calendar are within reach within a smooth and intuitive interface on the head unit's touchscreen.
- Maps: The AppRadioLive app uses the native maps from your Apple or Android smartphone overlaid with INRIX live traffic data to provide live traffic and incident information to give you an estimated time of arrival at your chosen destination. You can even use Yelp to find points of interest along the way, including restaurant ratings and reviews. The AppRadioLive map feature also allows destinations to b exported directly into any of the user's favorite AppRadio compatible navigation apps; such as iGO Primo (iPhone only), Navfree (iPhone only), and Waze to obtain route and voice guidance.
- Media: AppRadioLive also lets you play your stored music library directly from your smartphone. And, you can access over 25 millions songs from your Rdio account (iPhone only). Or, you can access over 25,000+ radio shows and podcasts from your Stitcher account.
- Events: AppRadioLive lets you stay up to date on the latest news with the help of Feedly and text-to-speech technology. You can check the weather for your current location, home, work, or destination. With text-to-speech technology, the Pioneer receiver will even read you the latest news stories from the internet.
- Calendar: The AppRadioLive app lets you stay organized by accessing your smartphone's calendar and Facebook events in a single, simple interface. With multiple viewing options within its sleek, simple user interface, you can access your smartphone and Facebook calendars in one place, RSVP to Facebook events and use EventSeeker to find nearby concerts and events based on your personal interests and location.
Bluetooth 3.0 + EDR: The AVH-4200NEX is equipped with built-in Bluetooth (3.0+EDR), allowing you to make and receive phone calls wirelessly through the receiver; as well as stream music wirelessly from your smartphone to the head unit. In order to use Bluetooth wireless technology, your phone must also be Bluetooth compatible and be able to interpret certain profiles. This unit is compatible with the following Bluetooth Profiles:
- Hands-Free Communication: HFP 1.6 (Hands Free Profile), OPP 1.1 (Object Push Profile), PBAB 1.0 (Phone Book Access Profile).
- Audio Streaming: A2DP 1.3 (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile), AVRCP 1.4 (Audio/Video Remote Control Profile).
Note: Due to the differences in Bluetooth technology, some Bluetooth enabled devices may be incompatible, function improperly, or may not support all features when used with the Pioneer AVH-4200NEX.
SPP (Secure Simple Pairing) w/ Dual Phone Connection: With Secure Simple Pairing (SSP), you can easily pair a Bluetooth enabled phone to the AVH-4200NEX without having to enter pin codes or go through complicated settings. Once a paired Bluetooth device is in close proximity to the receiver, the auto connection function automatically pairs the two units. Up to 3 Bluetooth-compatible devices (2 phones/1 audio player) can be paired to this head unit. You are even able to keep two Bluetooth-enabled smartphones connected at the same time, so you can switch between phones from the head unit's touchscreen, without having to connect or re-connect devices.
Hands-Free Communication (w/ External Mic): The PioneerAVH-4200NEX supports wireless hands-free communication for your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone. Thanks to the latest Hands-Free Profile (HFP 1.6) with wideband speech capability, the AVH-4200NEX provides more natural sound quality and details during wireless calls. The AVH-4200NEX allows you to carry on a phone conversation from your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone using the head unit's external microphone and your car audio speakers. During a conversation you can adjust the volume, as well as switch between the Private Mode (talking directly on your cell phone) and the Hands Free Mode.
- Answering A Call: During an incoming phone call, the head unit will display the caller's information and an audible ring tone will be heard through your vehicle's speakers. You can manually answer an incoming call or have the unit automatically answer the call.
- Making A Call: The AVH-4200NEX offers a variety of
ways to make call using the in-dash receiver.
- Direct Dialing: You can make a call by entering the phone number using the head unit's touchscreen keypad.
- Preset Dialing: You can store up to six phone numbers as presets for quicker dialing.
- Phone Book: The phone book (up to 800 contacts) in your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone will be transferred automatically when the phone is paired to this unit. After finding the number you want to call in the phone book from the head unit, you can select the entry and make the call. If a lot of numbers are registered in the phone book, you can search for a phone number by the contact person's name alphabetically.
- Call Log: The 80 most recent calls dialed, received, and missed are stored in memory. You can browse them and call numbers from these lists.
- Voice Dialing (Siri & Google Voice): When paired and connected with an iPhone 4S or later via Bluetooth, the Pioneer head unit has the ability to access Siri through its touchscreen controls and external microphone. It also supports Google Voice for select Android smartphones (not compatible with Samsung "S Voice"). You'll be able to dial a phone number or contact via voice command.
Note: Advanced phone operations that require attention, such as dialing numbers on the touchscreen monitor or adjusting Bluetooth settings, are prohibited while driving. The vehicle's parking brake must be engaged to access these functions.
Wireless Audio Streaming: The Pioneer AVH-4200NEX also supports wireless audio playback (AD2P) and control (AVRCP) of a Bluetooth enabled audio player or smartphone. The head unit can stream music stored on your Bluetooth enabled device or music apps you have downloaded on your device. When an incoming call or outgoing call is in progress from your Bluetooth enabled mobile phone, audio streaming will be paused so you can take your call.
- Advanced Music Navigation: In addition to basic playback functions (Play/Pause, FF/RW, Skip, Random/Repeat), the AVH-4200NEX lets you browse your stored music by Playlist, Artist, Album, Song, etc.. (AVRCP 1.4 phones only; which includes Android 4.0+ and iPhone 5.0+).
- Song/Artist Info: The head unit will also display your stored music's and music app's song information; such as Artist name and Song/Album title (app must also support).
Siri Eyes-Free Functionality: When paired and connected to an iPhone (iOS 6.1+) with Siri via Bluetooth, the Pioneer AVH-4200NEX has the ability to access Siri through its touchscreen and external microphone for Siri Eyes-Free functionality. When activated, Siri voice prompts play through the vehicle's speakers and the user's commands and questions are received and transmitted to the receiver using the external microphone. Siri Eyes-Free provides access to many iPhone Siri functions such as music selection, making phone calls, and audible navigation (map will be displayed on iPhone); as well as listening to text messages, calendar information, and reminders. The head unit's audio is muted while Siri provides audible voice prompts.
Note: The head unit's touchscreen monitor will only indicate hands-free calling and song/artist information (all other functions of Siri are only audible through the Pioneer AVH-4200NEX; visual data will still need to be viewed from your iPhone device).
iPhone Music Playback w/ DAC Bypass: If you don't desire CarPlay, AppRadio, or AppRadioLive, the Pioneer AVH-4200NEX also supports music only playback from your Lightning or 30-pin connector iPod/iPhone device through the receiver's USB-1 port (requires a Lightning-to-USB cable or dock-to-USB cable). Your iPod/iPhone's music library to be loaded instantly to the head unit and sound quality to be maximized through the head unit's 24-bit D/A converter (bypassing iPod/iPhone DAC), allowing for a Signal to Noise ratio up to 96dB. The AVH-4200NEX will playback stored music and music apps on your compatible iPod/iPhone device, provide touchscreen control, and song/artist information display.
Music Control: From the head unit's touchscreen, you can search your iPod/iPhone's audio content by Radio, Playlist, Artist, Album, Song, Podcast, Genre, Composer, or Audiobook. Once you have selected a category, you can search each category alphabetically (A-Z). In addition, the head unit offers Link Search, which allows you to play songs related to the currently playing song. Link Search lets the head unit create an album list of the currently playing artist, a song list of the currently playing album, or an album list of the currently playing genre. You can also select Random & Repeat functions for a certain song or specific folder.
Note: Older iPod/iPhone device's will be locked during connection, but newer Apple devices (iOS 6.0+) will stay unlocked so you can also control the iPod/iPhone from its touchscreen and access apps.
Apple Music Radio: You'll have access to Apple Music Radio from your USB-connected iPhone through the Pioneer DVD receiver. Listen for free to Beats 1, an innovative radio station hosted by the world's best artists and DJs. With an Apple Music Radio subscription, you can explore a wide range of curated radio stations, as well as create stations around your favorite songs or artists. Playback control from the head unit's touchscreen is only offered for Apple Music Radio paid subscribers.
Song/Artist Info & Album Art: The Pioneer receiver supports song/artist information and album art. The head unit will display your iPod/iPhone's stored music information including Track number, Elapsed playing time, Song/Album title, Artist name, and Album art.
Battery Charging: The head unit's USB connection provides 1.6A of current to power and charge your connected iPod/iPhone when your vehicle's ignition switch is set to the 'ACC' or 'On' position. If your iPod/iPhone has no initial battery charge, then the unit will not recognize it.
Apple Device Compatibility Chart: The Pioneer AVH-4200NEX supports the following iPod/iPhone model functions (as of 2/20/2017):
|Apple Device||Generation||Tested Version||Media Type||Control Type||Specific Apps||Display Type||Bluetooth||Charge|
|Audio||Video||Head Unit||iPod/iPhone||CarPlay|| AppRadio |
|Pandora||Song/Artist||Track Info||Album Art||Phone||Audio||Siri|
Note: Apple iPod/iPhone software updates may change functionality results. If you download a newer software version, you may need to reset the head unit and your iPod/iPhone to regain functionality. If this doesn't work, you may need to wait until a newer software update is available.
Pandora Internet Radio: The free Pandora App (for Apple iOS 9.0+ or Android OS 4.0+) lets you play music from the Pandora music service through the Pioneer AVH-4200NEX using your USB, Bluetooth, or HDMI+Bluetooth connected Apple iPhone, as well as your Bluetooth or HDMI+Bluetooth connected Android smartphone. Your iPhone or Android smartphone will also need an active Data Plan account with connection to the Internet via 3G, EDGE, LTE (4G), or WiFi. The Pioneer AVH-4200NEX will provide control over the Pandora music service & display Artist, Album, & Song information; as well as Album art.
- Station List + Presets: You can select Pandora stations from your Station List by date or alphabetically. You can also store six Pandora Radio preset stations for even easier recall.
- New Stations: New stations can be created based on the current songs or artists playing.
- Shuffle: You can also listen to songs played randomly from various stations within your Station List.
- Skip Songs: You can skip song tracks within a station. You cannot skip back to a previous song. Pandora limits the number of skips allowed.
- Thumbs Up/Down: You can give songs a thumbs up or thumbs down to help Pandora personalize stations to suit your preferences.
- Bookmarking: The song/artist currently being played can be bookmarked & stored in your Pandora account.
SiriusXM 3.0 Ready: The Pioneer AVH-X4200NEX is SiriusXM 3.0 Ready so you can listen to commercial-free music, all your favorite sports, exclusive talk and entertainment, comedy, news, traffic, weather, and more. Simply activate a SiriusXM Radio subscription (fees will apply) and connect the SiriusXM Connect Vehicle Tuner (220SXV300, sold separately) to the dedicated port on the rear of the receiver for playback and control of satellite radio. Check out the most popular SiriusXM subscription packages here.
- Channel/Category Lists + Song/Artist/Album Info: The Channel List displays a list of all available channels. The Category List displays all available categories and stations within those categories. Displayed Information such as Channel Name, Artist Name, & Song Title can be viewed on the head unit's LCD touchscreen. You also get station logo identification and album art on
- Category Scan + Instant Replay: During Category Scan, the live broadcast for each channel in the current category plays for six seconds at a time. The SiriusXM Instant Replay function lets you pause, rewind, and replay up to 60 minutes of live content from the station that you are currently listening to.
- SmartFavorite Presets + Featured Favorites: You can store up to 18 SiriusXM Satellite Radio Station Presets with special tuning features such as TuneStart, TuneScan, & TuneMix (see below). Featured Favorites are groups of channels that are created by the SiriusXM Programming department allowing to discover new channels. Featured Favorite channels are dynamic and can change often, allowing you to discover new channels.
- TuneStart, TuneScan, & TuneMix: TuneStart automatically start songs from the beginning when you tune to one of your SmartFavorite music channels stored on the current band of presets. TuneScan lets you scan through short previews of songs you may have missed on music channels stored on the current band of SmartFavorite presets. TuneMix plays a unique blend of songs from music channels stored in the current SmartFavorite preset band.
- Traffic, Weather, & Sports: You can tune in and listen quickly to information pertaining to weather and traffic from a particular city you have specified. You can also be alerted when your favorite sports teams are playing so you can tune to the appropriate station quickly.
- iTunes Tagging: The iTunes Tagging feature lets you Tag songs you hear on SiriusXM and stores the info on your iPod/iPhone (connected to your head unit via USB). The next time you connect your iPod/iPhone to iTunes, you will be able to preview your selections and then purchase and download them directly from iTunes.
- Parental Control: The SiriusXM Parental Control feature allows you to control access to channels that you consider inappropriate for younger listeners. When enabled, The Parental Control feature requires you to enter a 4-digit passcode to tune to the locked channels.
Note: A separate SiriusXM Satellite Radio subscription is required (operates on the XM Network). However, you can easily add this SiriusXM tuner to an existing Sirius or XM account for a Multi-Radio Discount Plan.
HD Radio: The Pioneer AVH-4200NEX's built-in HD Radio tuner lets you listen to the radio with the same fidelity as your digital music. HD Radio features high quality audio, FM multi-casting, and data services. With HD Radio, your FM stations offer near CD-quality sound, AM stations provide FM-like sound, and there is crystal-clear reception with no audio distortion. Best of all, HD Radio is 100% subscription free. The unit's tuner also supports analog AM/FM broadcasts.
- Supertuner IIID: The Supertuner IIID features Feed Forward Control, which avoids multi-path interference. This pre-detection of interference enables quick filter control and results in less distortion. In addition, the Supertuner IIID creates enhanced stereo during multi-path interference, unlike conventional tuners that collapse to mono. Digital processing reduces distortion, and improves Signal-to-Noise Ratio and stereo separation. Advanced analog technology improves signal processing sensitivity.
- Station Text/Album Art + RDS: AM/FM digital stations can offer text and data such as artist names and song titles. The head unit also supports Album Art from select HD Radio stations. For analog FM stations, the Radio Data System (RDS) feature displays radio broadcast information such as song/artist information when listening to compatible RDS FM stations.
- Multicasting: In addition to conventional broadcasts, with HD Radio broadcasting it is possible to choose from up to 3 multicast programs (HD1 to HD3, and analog). There are also data programs for each program.
- Reception Blending: If a digital broadcast reception condition gets poor, this unit automatically switches to the analog broadcast of the same frequency level. If this function is set to "On", the tuner switches between digital broadcast and analog broadcast automatically. If this function is 'Off', reception will be conducted within an analog broadcast.
- BSM (Best Stations Memory): The BSM (Best Stations Memory) function lets you automatically store the six strongest analog or HD stations under preset buttons 1-6 of the currently tuned band. The tuner has 3 FM banks and 1 AM bank. You can store 6 presets for each bank giving you a total of 18 FM presets and 6 AM presets.
- Local Tuning: Local seek tuning lets you tune in only those radio stations with sufficiently strong signals for good reception. There are 4 level of sensitivity for FM and two levels for AM. The higher settings allow reception of only the strongest stations, while lower settings let you receive progressively weaker stations.
- iTunes Tagging: It is possible to save the song's information (tag) from a HD Radio or RDS FM broadcasting station to your USB-direct connected iPod/iPhone. The songs will show up in a playlist called "Tagged" in iTunes the next time you sync your iPod/iPhone. Then you can directly buy the songs you want from the iTunes Music Store.
Note: HD Radio is the system for digital AM and FM broadcasting in the U.S. More than 2,000 radio stations are broadcasting their primary signals in digital HD Radio technology, as a free service. Go to www.hdradio.com to check for HD Radio stations in your area.
Compatible Discs: The 6.95" touchscreen display electronically slides down to load and eject your DVD/CD discs. The AVH-4200NEX supports playback of DVD-Video, DVD-R/RW, CD-Audio, and CD-R/RW discs with video, audio, and photo files.
Dual USB Ports: The unit's two rear-panel USB (type-A) ports and 58" USB extension cable allows you to connect a USB Mass Storage Class (MSC) device, such as USB thumbdrive or portable digital music player. The USB port enables playback & control of music, video, and photo files stored on your portable USB MSC device through the Pioneer AVH-4200NEX. USB devices that can be charged via USB will be charged when plugged into the receiver's USB port (1.6A) and the vehicle's ignition switch is set to ACC or On.
SD Card Slot: The Pioneer AVH-4200NEX features a hidden SD card slot (located behind the motorized touchscreen monitor) which will accept SD (up to 2GB) and SDHC (up to 32GB) memory cards for playback of a variety of music, video, and photo files.
Compatible Media Files: The Pioneer AVH-4200NEX supports the following types of audio, video, and photo files recorded onto a disc, USB device, or SD memory card.
|Media Type||Disc: CD (-R/RW), DVD (-R/-RW/-R DL)||Flash Memory: USB MSC, SD/SDHC|
|File System||ISO9660 Level 1 or 2, Romeo, Joliet, UDF||FAT 16/32 or NTFS|
|Playable File Types||Audio|| |
MP3: 8-320kbps bit
rate; 16-48kHz sampling rates
8-320kbps bit rate; 8-48kHz sampling rates |
WMA: 5-320kbps bit rate; 8-48kHz sampling rates
AAC: 8-320kbps bit rate; 8-48kHz sampling rates
WAV: 8-/16-bit rate; 16-44.1kHz sampling rates
FLAC: 24-bit rate; 192kHz sampling rates
Files: MPEG 1/2/4, DivX |
Max Resolution: 720 x 1280 (MPEG), 720 x 576 (DivX)
Max Frame Rate: 30 fps
Max File Size: 4GB
Files: AVI, ASF, FLV, F4V, MP4, MKV, MOV, WMV, VOB, 3GP |
Max Resolution: 720 x 480
Max Frame Rate: 30 fps
Max File Size: 4GB
|Photo||N/A||JPEG: max resolution of 8192 x 7680|
|Maximum # of Folders/Files|| |
700 folders/999 files (700 folders/3,500 files for DVD)
|1,500 folders/15,000 files|
|Tags||ID3 tags (ver. 1.0,/1.1/2.2/2.3/2.4), WMA-tags, AAC-tags|
Note: Videos and Photos can only be viewed when the vehicle's parking brake is engaged.
Advanced Playback & Search Functions (for USB & SD/SDHC): Advance playback functions include; Music Browsing which lets you browse your USB & SD/SDHC memory device's music library by Artist, Album, Song, or Genre from the head unit in alphabetical order; and Link Search which allows you to play songs related to the currently playing song. Link Search lets the head unit create an album list of the currently playing artist, a song list of the currently playing album, or an album list of the currently playing genre.
Direct DVD Search: During DVD playback, you can go directly to a specific Title or Chapter by entering the number using the unit's touchscreen numeric keypad.
Parental Lock: This unit features an 8-level Parental Lock system protected by a user-selected 4-digit password to prevent certain DVD's from being played back on the AVH-X4200NEX.
24-Bit/192kHz DAC: The Pioneer AVH-X4200NEX is equipped with a 24-bit/192kHz digital-to-analog converter for superb quality audio playback from disc, USB, iPod/iPhone, Android, and Bluetooth.
MOSFET50 Internal Amplifier: This receiver is equipped with a 50 watts x 4 (peak) MOSFET amplifier for low distortion, high power output. The amplifier is strong enough to power small subwoofers to moderate volume levels in compact cars and pickups. For higher volume levels from subwoofers, an optional amplifier may be connected to the preamp outputs.
- CTA-2006 Specs: 14 watts RMS x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 20Hz-20kHz, 1% THD-N)
- Continuous Power Output: 22 watts RMS x 4 channels (at 4 ohms, 50Hz-15kHz, 5% THD)
- Maximum Power Output: 50 watts x 4 channels (or 50 watts x 2 channels at 4 ohms + 70 watts x 1 channel at 2 ohms for subwoofer)
Note: The power specifications for the AVH-4200NEX are compliant with the CTA-2006 Mobile Amplifier Power Testing and Measurement standards from the Consumer Technology Association (CTA). These standards were developed as a way to equitably compare power specs from model to model and between manufacturers.
4V/6CH Preamp Outputs + Sub Control: The Pioneer AVH-4200NEX features three pair of 4.0-volt preamp outputs (Front/Rear/Subwoofer). The unit's front and rear preamp output can be faded (front/rear), while the subwoofer preamp output is non-fading. The Pioneer AVH-4200NEX lets you adjust the subwoofer preamp output's phase (normal/reverse) and volume (+6 to -24).
Crossovers: The AVH-4200NEX employs high pass and low pass crossovers to tailor the head unit to your connected speakers.
- HPF: The head unit's variable 6/12/18db per octave high pass filter only allows frequencies higher than those in the selected range (50, 63, 80, 100, 125, 160, or 200Hz) to your front and rear speakers through the unit's speaker-level or line-level outputs.
- LPF: The subwoofer preamp output features a 6, 12, or 18dB/octave low pass filter so only frequencies lower than those in the selected range (50, 63, 80, 100, 125, 160, or 200Hz) are output to your connected subwoofer.
EEQ (Easy EQ) w/ 13-Band Graphic EQ: There are seven stored equalizer curves which you can easily recall at any time. You can choose from - Powerful, Natural, Vocal, Super Bass, Flat, Custom 1, or Custom 2. The Custom 1 and Custom 2 EQ modes allow you to manually adjust the level (+/- 12dB) of each band of the head unit's 13-band graphic equalizer (50, 80, 125, 200, 315, 500, 800, 1.25k, 2k, 3.15k, 5k, 8k, and 12.5k Hz).
Auto EQ (Optional): The auto-equalizer automatically measures your car's interior acoustic characteristics, and then creates an auto-equalizer curve base on that information. The Pioneer CD-MC20 Auto-EQ microphone (130CDMC20, sold separately) is required to use this function. The Pioneer CD-MC20 Auto-EQ microphone plugs into your compatible Pioneer A/V receiver's rear-panel AUX 3.5mm input. The Auto-EQ microphone should be placed in the center of your vehicle's driver seat headrest facing forward for EQ measurement.
Audio Settings: The head unit provides further sound adjustments for your car audio system.
- Listening Position & Time Alignment: For a better sound-stage you can select your optimal listening position. You can choose from All, Front Left, Front Right, or Front. You can also select to manually fine tune the sound stage, using Digital Time Alignment (DTA) by selecting the distance (0-200") for each individual speaker in the vehicle compared to your listening position.
- Advanced Sound Retriever: The Advanced Sound Retriever automatically enhances compressed audio and restores the original richness of the recording. When the Advanced Sound Retriever is on, the high frequency range is compensated to match the frequency response curve to the original sound. There are two available levels of the Advanced Sound Retriever effect.
- Source Level Adjustment (SLA): This function lets you adjust the volume level of each source (AM, Pandora, iPod, Apps) to prevent radical changes in volume when switching between sources. Settings are based on the unit's FM volume level, which remains unchanged. Each source can be independently adjusted from -4 dB to +4 dB.
MIXTRAX: MIXTRAX is an innovative Pioneer technology that creates a nonstop mix of your music library complete with a range of DJ-inspired effects. Drawing from Pioneer's rich DJ heritage and our passion for music, MIXTRAX delivers a unique DJ infused listening experience to those in the car. MIXTRAX takes the music from a USB-connected iPod/iPhone or USB MSC device and plays it back with added transitions and effects, creating a virtual DJ inside the Pioneer receiver.
Note: The MIXTRAX function does not work in AppRadio or AppRadioLive mode, with the Pandora App, for CarPlay or Android Auto, and with Bluetooth sources.
Key Beep: The in-dash head unit provides an audible beep to confirm button operation; this can be turned On or Off.
Dual AV Inputs: The Pioneer AVH-4200NEX has dual AV inputs to connect two external audio/video sources. The head unit has a rear-panel 3.5mm minijack AV input for connecting a portable audio/video device. There is also a rear-panel composite video/stereo RCA AV input for connecting a video component such as a mobile TV tuner or game console.
HDMI Input: In addition to AppRadio & AppRadiLive modes for iPhone and Android, the head unit's HDMI input can be used to connect almost any external mobile AV source with an HDMI output; such as a TV tuner, Blu-ray player, or game system. The HDMI input will provide video and audio playback. Your vehicle's parking brake will need to be engaged to view video on the receiver's screen. Playback functions will need to be controlled from your HDMI-connected device (not the Pioneer head unit).
AV Output (w/ Dual Zone): The unit features a composite video jack and 3.5mm audio jack to output AV signals to an optional monitor and headphone system. You can simultaneously enjoy the same or different sources in the front and rear of your vehicle. The unit's dual zone AV output can be set to Mirror, DVD/CD, AV, USB-1/iPod, SD, or Off. The Mirror mode simply outputs the same audio/video signal (not including HDMI, CarPlay, or Android Auto) which is playing on the head unit's touchscreen monitor to your connected rear monitor/headphone system.
Note: USB/iPod 1 and SD cannot be selected for playback in the rear of the vehicle when CarPlay or Android Auto is active.
Rear-View Camera Input: The AVH-4200NEX is equipped with a composite video rear-view camera input for the addition of an optional backup camera (130NDBC8, sold separately). When the vehicle's transmission is put in reverse, the screen automatically switches to the rear view camera (violet/white wire of the harness must be connected to the vehicle's reverse lamp circuit for automatic video switching). Automatic video switching takes approximately 0.8 seconds. Additional rear-view camera features include:
- Parking Assist Guidelines: The unit also provides four on-screen guidelines to assist you when backing up and parking your vehicle.
- Trailer Towing: You can even select for the rear-view camera to stay on at all times, so you can keep an eye on the trailer you are towing.
- Second Camera: In addition, you can turn the unit's AV input into a second camera input for adding a front camera (sold separately).
Note: The rear view camera feature is meant as a back-up aid only; never solely rely on the rear-view camera when backing-up. In addition to using the rear-view camera, always look behind you to make sure everything is clear when backing up your vehicle.
iDatalink Serial Port: This Pioneer DVD receiver is compatible with the iDatalink Maestro RR (794ADSMRR, sold separately); a web programmable module that will permit the aftermarket Pioneer receiver to work with select Ford/Lincoln/Mercury vehicles that feature the factory SYNC system, select GM vehicles with factory OnStar, select Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep vehicles with U-Connect, select Volkswagens with factory digital amplifier, select Toyota/Scion vehicles, and select Fiat vehicles.
- Retained Features: The Pioneer DVD receiver lets you retains select factory functions (retained features will vary by vehicle via the iDatalink Maestro RR. Retained proprietary factory systems can include Ford Sync, GM OnStar, and Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep U-Connect. Other retained factory features may include Steering Wheel Controls, Aux Input, USB Port, Hands-Free Bluetooth, Voice Commands, Satellite Radio, Secondary Display, and more.
- Extra Features: In some installations, the iDatalink Maestro RR let you configure the Pioneer receiver's touchscreen monitor to operate interior climate controls and provides extra visual data; such as User Selectable Gauges, Vehicle Info (Tire Pressure/Battery Voltage/Check Engine Codes/Door Ajar Warning), and Visual Park Assist. These extra features will vary by vehicle.
Note: The iDatalink Maestro RR is web programmable, which means you'll need to flash the iDatalink Maestro RR interface module with the correct firmware from iDatalink's website. In addition to flashing the iDatalink Maestro RR module, you'll also need a vehicle specific harness (sold separately). The Pioneer receiver's OEM Setup menu must also be configured with your compatible vehicle's factory system before initial operation.
Navigation Ready: The Pioneer AVH-4200NEX allows you to connect the Pioneer AVIC-U280 add-on navigation unit (130AVIC280, sold separately) through its RGB Input. This versatile hideaway unit allows you to switch to navigation mode with the touch of a button. Get to your destination by inputting an address or search through the POI library while enjoying whatever source is currently playing.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Product reviews from the Crutchfield Labs
by Ken Nail
The AVH-4200NEX DVD receiver incorporates Bluetooth, HD Radio, and it'll work with Apple® or AndroidT phones, too. See it in action in this demo video.
Why did you buy this?
Compared many vendors and models; ultimately, this vendor and unit met my features and economics requirements. User reviews are positive. [ Dan May 08, 2017 ]
I like this unit because it has the detachable faceplate for added security. [ Keyon May 06, 2017 ]
combo of price and features, also a top seller for y'all [ Todd May 04, 2017 ]
I found myself considering buying a new Toyota Prius and realized that the main reason was to upgrade the radio/nav system in my 2011 model, which has only 60,000 miles on it. Then I remembered Crutchfield and the awesome service and support. There didn't used to be many after-market radios that would fit a Toyota, but I checked and found this system that looks even better than the newest factory systems from Toyota AND I don't have to spend $30,000! Such a deal! [ Molly May 03, 2017 ]
Cant beat Pioneer! Amazing stereo! It's just what I needed. Quality product at awesome price. [ Aaron May 03, 2017 ]
Seemed to have all the features I wanted -- Bluetooth, HD radio, Carplay, Android Auto, SD card reader, etc. [ Aatam Apr 30, 2017 ]
Because of Bluetooth and the fact that through Android Auto I could convert incoming text messages to voice. [ Eugene Apr 28, 2017 ]
because i want it [ Chad Apr 28, 2017 ]
I've always own pionner head units I think there the best [ JOHNNIE Apr 24, 2017 ]
Good Reviews [ Ricky Apr 21, 2017 ]
CarPlay. And I have the older 2500 model in my previous cars that I loved. So, I know how to use it, love the sound and look plus the 6" screen. [ Dan Apr 18, 2017 ]
Seems like the best radio for the money [ Paul Apr 16, 2017 ]
To convert my 2005 jeep wrangler to a double din setup with Metra 95-6541. would have bought the Metra 95-6541 here too but it was not available. [ Chris Apr 16, 2017 ]
Needed for my 2014 Mazda 6 Pioneer install [ David Apr 13, 2017 ]
Big Pioneer fan plus defaceable for security... [ Shawn Apr 11, 2017 ]
Based on my families use and the options available, this seemed to suit us best. [ Jeff Apr 04, 2017 ]
I wanted to upgrade my 2013 factory stereo to a system that had Apple Car Play. This one is highly recommended by your site and my local installer. With your instructions, I think I can install it myself and cut the total cost by 50%! [ Matthew Apr 01, 2017 ]
Price is very good, loaded with features, and reviews are good [ Anthony Mar 28, 2017 ]
This was the least expensive android auto compatible head unit I found, and it has fantastic reviews. [ P Mar 22, 2017 ]
Wanted a head unit that supported CarPlay for the iPhone. Checked all the ones that were under $600 and decided on this unit. Seems to have good reviews and has a lot of customizations, etc that I'm looking for. Always get my car stereos from Crutchfield due to their great online information, available support and good prices. I'm sure you can save a few dollars at other stores but I doubt you'll get the support that you will from here at most places. [ Thomas N Mar 22, 2017 ]
Very good reviews [ Thomas Mar 18, 2017 ]
Very good products [ Andre Mar 16, 2017 ]
I bought this stereo because we put one in my hubby's truck and I realized I needed one in my Honda! What sold me? -Pioneer -Built in amp -Removable face plate -Android / Apple Play. It was time to upgrade my system and THIS was the system I had been waiting for! [ Mary Mar 16, 2017 ]
Awesome features [ michael Mar 16, 2017 ]
I purchased the AVH-4000NEX when it first came out and I'm a huge fan of the features and quality of the product. I decided to purchase the AVH-4200NEX for my 2012 Traverse. CarPlay is a super convenient feature. That's one of the main reasons I bought the 4000. I don't need the integrated GPS that the more expensive models use when I can use my phone to display its GPS on the 7" screen. It's a great way to modernize an older vehicle. [ Miles Mar 16, 2017 ]
I needed an upgrade to the factory system and did not need Nav. This system looks like the high quality I expect for a great value [ Lonnie Mar 14, 2017 ]
I have a previous Pioneer AVH head unit. Wanted to upgrade for the Android/Apple interfacing. This has good features and reviews. [ michael Mar 07, 2017 ]
Appeared to be the best value with CarPlay integration versus features available. [ Brian Feb 28, 2017 ]
I picked it- solely because of the recommendation(s) of Levi- who I believe was very helpful!- CAW [ CHARLES Feb 28, 2017 ]
I chose this unit because I like the way Pioneer units sound and their user interface. Also, it accepts data input from the idatalink Maestro Rr that I purchased for this build. This way, not only does the user get high quality sound and expandability options, but they also get factory functions integrated into the head unit, making the user experience much more enjoyable. [ Joseph Feb 28, 2017 ]
dual phone integration, airplay, etc. [ Keith Feb 26, 2017 ]
had one before, great unit [ charles Feb 25, 2017 ]
Love the radio, one of the best on the market [ Nolan Venesta Feb 24, 2017 ]
This was recommended to me when I used the Crutchfield chat program and chatted with Hogan. This should fit my needs well. [ Kevin Feb 22, 2017 ]
It was a recommendation upon what I was looking for by Duffy [ David Feb 21, 2017 ]
Looks great. Great reviews. Can't wait to install [ Justin Feb 20, 2017 ]
Sweet stereo. Great price with all the accessory included! [ Michael Feb 19, 2017 ]
I've been going with Pioneer my whole driving life, in recent years I've been rocking the latest and greatest Flagship models. But it occurred to me I never use the car gps, I use my iPhone instead. So how about saving a little by removing the gps function?! [ Ryan Feb 16, 2017 ]
Best head unit for the price and has appleplay [ ROBERT Feb 11, 2017 ]
Great buy [ Darren Feb 08, 2017 ]
Android Auto and Apple Car Play! [ T Feb 02, 2017 ]
Already have one in another vehicle and wife loved it so much I am putting one in hers [ cary Feb 02, 2017 ]
Bought it for Android Auto, which is its primary use for me [ Shaun Feb 01, 2017 ]
Want to add SXM radio to Wife's Thunderbird [ A Jan 31, 2017 ]
Great product with all options and great price. Cant wait to replace my Kenwood DX9140. [ STEVEN W. Jan 31, 2017 ]
touchscreen capability, eq controls, fits the Fit [ Mark Jan 30, 2017 ]
I purchased to replace factory radio [ John Jan 29, 2017 ]
Amazing unit [ Jared Jan 26, 2017 ]
Specs. [ JOSE A Jan 26, 2017 ]
Pioneer has a great reputation for building quality products that last. Many positive reviews both on Crutchfield and other websites. A friend of mine has this system in his car, and has had no issues. As for features, I wanted a system that supported hands-free operation, and apple car play. [ Brian Jan 25, 2017 ]
I have the AVH-4000NEX in one car and it is awesome. That driver has the Iphone so the Apple Car Play is great. I have an android so I wanted the one with Android Auto so....... now I have one. [ Gary Jan 25, 2017 ]
Because of the good reviews and for the Android Auto feature. [ Bryan Jan 23, 2017 ]
It is awesome [ James Jan 23, 2017 ]
Mainly because it is the the most inexpensive unit that offers android play. Also other buyers seem to like it. [ Brian Jan 20, 2017 ]
Already own a 4100 which I love, swapping it out for the 4200 and moving the 4100 to my truck. I really love ApplePlay and the inputs /choices that can be used with this rig, including the reverse camera. The Pioneer works seamlessly with my iPhone. [ S Jan 19, 2017 ]
wanted the Kenwood DDX6703S or higher model, but reviews said the Kenwood units have glare and can't see the display during daytime. Didn't see any complaints about the Pioneer display. This unit has a high rating [ G Jan 18, 2017 ]
Apple functions and apps [ David Jan 18, 2017 ]
best combination of features and flexibility in replacing my old unit. Price was good too. [ A Jan 16, 2017 ]
I had it installed in my 2012 Dodge Challenger and loved it. [ DUSTIN Jan 14, 2017 ]
Android Auto [ Tyson Jan 10, 2017 ]
Both android and apple interface. Satellite ready (requires additional tuner). Rebate makes price palatable. Reviews are good. [ Joshua Dec 20, 2016 ]
I thought this would be a good radio to integrate with my android phone. Also I like the fact that the face plate can come off. [ Anthony Dec 17, 2016 ]
Android Auto [ Andrew Dec 11, 2016 ]
I did a lot of research and this item had great reviews and looked amazing in the videos. [ Patrick Dec 09, 2016 ]
good reviews. [ Geoff Dec 05, 2016 ]
Lots of modern features for a good price [ Robert Nov 30, 2016 ]
Had an earlier Pioneer in dash model and looked for one that would make install easier. [ Carlton Nov 17, 2016 ]
More features [ Robert Nov 12, 2016 ]
I use my phone for navigation so I don't need the higher Pioneer head units. This unit offers all the sound quality tweaks I'm looking for. It also works with an external mic to measure and correct problems unique to my vehicle. Lastly, I wanted to be able to display my own graphic on the turn on splash screen. [ KENDALL H Nov 02, 2016 ]
Android Spotify and Waze/Maps support. Backup camera will be added later. [ Brodie Nov 02, 2016 ]
Works with carplay. Detachable faceplate. [ Daniel Oct 17, 2016 ]
It had the features I was interested in, had a rebate making it more affordable and the reviews on it were favorable. [ PATRICIA Oct 16, 2016 ]
excellent 2-DIN retrofit to Ford Expedition w/ CarPlay and DVD and Bluetooth Handsfree [ Karl Oct 11, 2016 ]
Android Auto [ Mike Sep 30, 2016 ]
Good deal [ Fred Sep 19, 2016 ]
Pretty the same price you can find in most places, but the with the added assurance of knowing the Pioneer backs the warranty as Crutchfield is a authorized dealer. [ Travion Sep 16, 2016 ]
I previously owned the Pioneer AVH-4000NEX - and I loved it so I am upgrading as I have a new vehicle [ Ralph Sep 09, 2016 ]
came down between the kenwood ddx9903 and the pioneer 4200nex. in the end the reviews and issues reported with the kenwood even after the aug 25, 2016 firmware update tipped the scales on the pioneer. [ Chris Sep 07, 2016 ]
To upgrade my factory radio . [ Fernando Sep 03, 2016 ]
I previously tried a Kenwood DDX 793 and had continuous Bluetooth problems with my Nexus 6p. I have generally been a Kenwood customer but after 2 attempts at the same head unit, decided to try a different brand rather than go up to the 9903S [ SEAN Sep 03, 2016 ]
I had a choice between this and the Kenwood DDX9703S as the Android Auto entry-level head units. I chose to go with the Pioneer because it has two USB ports and I wanted to simultaneously connect my Samsung S7 and my iPod. [ Bryan Aug 30, 2016 ]
Looking for a highly rated unit and one that has a bright enough screen in most light conditions. Not willing to install a lesser unit and save $200 and be frustrated forevermore.... :) [ Russ Aug 29, 2016 ]
Found it had all the needed parts to make my Chevy Trailblazer the most comfortable for my family. I like the fact that I can tie in both my Android phone and the Kids I-pads/IPhone using several ways. I also like the fact I can tie in my onboard PC to the screen for setting up rear monitors with videos for the kids from the online apps using my cell hotspot. [ Peter Aug 25, 2016 ]
For installation in my 2015 Hyundai Santa Fe for the pioneer 4200nex. [ Scott Aug 22, 2016 ]
Because it is the only brand I trust and I need my android to be compatible with my stereo [ Deb Aug 03, 2016 ]
because it has carplay [ Scott Jul 30, 2016 ]
It is a bomb unit [ WAYMON Jul 30, 2016 ]
Got tired of waiting for the JBL Legend CP100 to come out. They keep pushing the release date back, back, and back. The Pioneer AVH-4200NEX cost a fraction more and the $100 rebate pioneer is offering until 7/31/2016 was all I needed to take the plunge. I also like that it comes with pre-amp outs for easy install of a Rockford Fosgate Punch P300-12 (unlike the JBL Legend CP100 which does not have pre-amp outs and would require purchase of an LC2i to make work). [ CHARLES Jul 23, 2016 ]
I based my purchase based off reviews an features. [ Scott Jul 21, 2016 ]
After discussing what my needs were, Buddy was very helpful. The money I would have spent on the Nav stuff for me was a waste. Android Auto was the biggest seller for me and kept the cost down. Buddy's Bio: http://www.crutchfield.com/Support/Bio.aspx?bio=160 [ WILLIAM B Jul 06, 2016 ]
Recommended, SD FLAC files [ James Jul 05, 2016 ]
Best unit for the money- Will do all I want it to do, and has excellent reviews [ Curtis Jun 29, 2016 ]
Like all the features plus improvements over the AVH4100. Pioneer rebate doesn't hurt either! [ Paul Jun 01, 2016 ]
Had a lot of features that I was interested in but he deal breaker was all the great reviews compared to the Kenwood models that I was looking at. I'm a Kenwood guy so for me to switch, had to be worthwhile. Plus the $100 rebate helps. [ D Jun 01, 2016 ]
Best option for Car Play and detachable face. No need for phone bracket/mount on vent or windshield with Car Play or Android Play. Current $100 rebate makes unit very good option. [ Brad May 31, 2016 ]
Good value after rebate. [ S May 23, 2016 ]
I chose this unit for 07 Nissan X-terra because of the features, good looks and hey...you can't go wrong with Pioneer! I chose to purchase from Crutchfield because they are extremely knowledgeable right down to the installation gear needed, and they knew it would fit. [ Terryl May 21, 2016 ]
Because it has all of the features that I am looking for to connect to my iPhone 6. [ Robert May 11, 2016 ]
Navigation via my phone and suggested by this site [ Ronda May 04, 2016 ]
it has all the functions I want and has some of the best reviews. plus I like that I can tilt the screen to adjust for sunlight readability [ Joy May 03, 2016 ]
Had the features I wanted [ Janis Apr 15, 2016 ]
In the price range, Android Auto, iDataLink interface, MirrorLink, good review on the previous model 4100 NEX. [ Sonny Mar 29, 2016 ]
Previous model had awesome features and also like detachable face [ Oliver Mar 29, 2016 ]
59 questions already asked
The ability to retain steering wheel controls with aftermarket receivers will be determined by the receiver you are using and the vehicle you have. For full information on this type of integration (including the parts you will need) please contact an Advisor by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat. [ Kenny Jul 13, 2017 ] Staff
Yes you need to hook up the crossover. If you don't have a need for the tweeters to be separate then I would recommend the DB652. [ Michael May 20, 2017 ]
I do not believe so. [ Sean May 09, 2017 ]
1 answer Anyone ever see "No paired phones found" window even after you are clearly listening to music on your phone via Bluetooth? I wiped my iPhone 7+ (iOS 10.3.1), factory defaulted the 4200NEX, updated firmware to 1.05, even got a replacementy 4200NEX (still firmware 1.03) and the issue shows up each time I power on the headunit. Calls work fine, bluetooth music works fine. Anyone see that? [ Aaron Apr 21, 2017 ]
I have had great luck with mine. Use both Android (S7) and iOS (6) phones with no issues. Sorry I can't be of any help. [ THOMAS S Apr 21, 2017 ]
No. It will show the camera image almost immediately. There is a delay in the yellow lines that overlay if you have those programmed to display. [ Christopher Apr 21, 2017 ]
I ran mine over to the drivers side above the door in the trim. You barely notice it sticking out the edge of it. Everyone I've talked to on it says it's easy to hear me. And when I use the google assistant through Android auto, it never says "I didn't get that" and understands my requests. Love this unit, just recently upgraded the speakers and sounds great [ J Apr 17, 2017 ]
I t works fine. Never had a complaint from callers not being able to hear me [ Angel Luis Apr 16, 2017 ]
good sound quality.. [ edison Apr 16, 2017 ]
Great. I have not experienced any problems. [ Greg Apr 15, 2017 ]
I haven't heard any negative comments from people that I have called using the mic. Siri doesn't always hear me right but I don't attribute that to the mic quality. [ Brian Apr 15, 2017 ]
Never been told there was a problem. does depend on location. mines on my visor. [ Ryan Apr 15, 2017 ]
I have this installed in a Toyota Tundra and not all the functions work at the steering wheel. This is not a deal breaker for me, but it may be for others..just saying.. [ Guest Apr 10, 2017 ]
It will show the google maps when in car apple play [ linda Apr 04, 2017 ]
The AVH-4200NEX does not have built-in navigation. But, it can show maps through Apple Carplay, Android Auto, and Pioneer Appradio. Since you have an IPhone, you would likely want to display maps and hear voice directions using Apple Carplay running on your phone but using the unit's screen and the car's speakers. While in Carplay mode, your phone's screen and speaker are off, instead using the NEX unit's screen and the car's speakers. The unit allows you to play music or radio programming while viewing a dynamic route map on the screen. Audio entertainment volume is automatically muted when turn-by-turn directions are announced so you can hear the directions clearly. This is a very cool feature. Hope that helps! [ MyDogHadFleas Apr 04, 2017 ]
It will only show a map when used with the iPhone in CarPlay mode. The receiver itself does not contain any map data. [ Sean Apr 04, 2017 ]
The 4200 does not have its own built in navigation, however, with your iPhone you can plug it in via the usb port and operate the apple CarPlay app feature where it uses your phone for GPS and you will have the map with directions etc on the screen of the 4200. This is a very nice feature. It works similarly with android phones using the android auto app. [ Ronald Apr 04, 2017 ]
Display will show map. I have to push the button on my iPhone to activate Siri, but I can then tell Siri to give directions to a destination and it works fine. I have had this unit for about one year in my 2006 Porsche 911. I really like it. I wanted the updated maps from Apple plus a rear view camera, and of course the ability to use Siri. I have read recently however, that there are units on the market now that will do all Apple Car play functions using only Bluetooth. To use apps such as map, I have to plug in via USB. On daily trips I just use Bluetooth for audio and phone. [ JAMES Apr 03, 2017 ]
if you use an iPhone or android device connected to it per the instructions then yes it will show navigation from your phone. This works by either using CarPlay or Android Auto and connecting your phone via a USB connection. The 4200NEX does not have GPS or built-in maps of any kind. This is actually a good thing. Using your phone to do navigation ensures that you have the most up to date maps and best user interface experience. Just make sure your connected properly. [ JOE Apr 03, 2017 ]
This unit is Apple CarPlay enabled, so as long as you have your iPhone connected via cable and use Apple Maps, you are good-to-go! I use this feature daily and it works great. [ DANIEL C Apr 03, 2017 ]
For additional details on fit or installation please contact an Advisor by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat. They will be able to pull up all the items and see how everything integrates and also determine what else you may need for an installation in your vehicle. [ Kenny Apr 07, 2017 ] Staff
I don't know. I do know i'm very happy with the NEX. Just added a backup camera to it. This would really be nice on and RV. Cheers, D [ DAVID Apr 04, 2017 ]
Thanks for your question. The manufacturers warranty is 1 year parts and labor. Hope this helps. [ Kenny Apr 01, 2017 ] Staff
You will want to contact an Advisor by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat to discuss compatibility with your factory system. They will be able to pull up your vehicle and see if this will integrate. If it does not, then they will also be able to discuss other options with you. [ Kenny Mar 13, 2017 ] Staff
5 answers Is there a best method for connecting phones to the rear USB ports? Should I run two dedicated cables (one for my Samsung and one for my wife's iPhone) exiting the car in a useful place, or install a 2-port USB hub? I have heard the latter might cause issues, but have also heard it works well. [ ckimmerle Mar 09, 2017 ]
When I installed, I just ran the cords under the cover around the shifter then into the center console, I ran the USB Extension it came with. Then I just plug my Android USB cord into it. Works great. You could get an additional one for hers. [ J Mar 14, 2017 ]
i install this USB Flush Mount Cable - Rerii 1 Meter 3ft Dual USB Extension Flush, Dash, Panel Mount Cable. i remove the lighter plug and install the usb. [ edison Mar 11, 2017 ]
you could buy a usb mount that has the cables that would connect to the back ports and mount the usb connection somewhere in your vehicle. i have one for 2 usb ports and one for hdmi and aux. they can be flush mounted or mounted under dash or in glove box. [ Ryan Mar 10, 2017 ]
Yes, you should run 2, one for Iphone and one for Android, thats what i did on mine and works perfect [ Danny Mar 10, 2017 ]
Run two dedicated cables. One USB port supports iOS devices and one android devices. [ Michael Mar 10, 2017 ]
Yes the Pioneer does it only a few seconds and music still plays [ PETER M Mar 10, 2017 ]
No. It has a warning screen that times out after several seconds. I never have to touch the "OK" button. [ Craig Mar 09, 2017 ]
Unfortunately yes as is the case with most head-units with smart phone connectivity or camera display functions even factory units. [ Christopher Mar 09, 2017 ]
Yes [ Cody Mar 09, 2017 ]
The Pioneer does have a warning screen. It will go away by itself if you ignore it. [ Gordon Mar 09, 2017 ]
The Pioneer does but it goes off automatically after 5 seconds. Pretty much any unit that plays video is going to have that warning. [ RICHARD Mar 09, 2017 ]
Yes on Kenwood ... no bypass [ Christopher Mar 09, 2017 ]
As far as I know, most cameras have universal connections. [ BRUCE Mar 07, 2017 ]
yes [ Randy Mar 05, 2017 ]
Yes sir. I am using two pairs of Infinity kappa 62.11i which are rated at 2 ohms each for a year now with no problem on my 2014 rav 4 and the sound is amazing, louder ,clean and crisp. You be able to use infinity reference also. [ JERIEL Mar 01, 2017 ]
1 answer I have the 4200NEX and an iPod Classic 60GB. The Pioneer manual says it only supports 80GB and up. When I use the 60GB a few strange things happen. For one - it always starts on the 1st song in my library no matter where I last left off. Second, when I select playlists it will often start playing a completely different playlist. The problem may just be with my 60GB iPod (since it is not technically supported). But before I purchase an 80GB or up, can anyone confirm they have used a larger iPod Classic with this radio, and that it does NOT have the issues I'm having? Hope that all makes sense. Thank you. [ Timmy Feb 08, 2017 ]
If you purchased the Pioneer AVH 4200NEX from Crutchfield, feel free to contact our Tech Support team. They can walk you through the settings on the product and see if there may be a fix for your current iPod and/or ensure compatibility with the 80GB model. Our toll-free Tech Support number is available under the "My Orders" tab after logging-in to your account on the Crutchfield site. If you did not purchase the unit from Crutchfield, then you may want to contact Pioneer directly for more info. You can also post your question in our forums: http://community.crutchfield.com. Or try our online support center: http://crutchfield.custhelp.com/app/answers/list/kw/. [ Larry Feb 20, 2017 ] Staff
The screen is resistive. I actually like resistive screen better. When driving, you don't always have the ability to precisely touch the part of the screen without your finger moving and accidentally touching a different part of the screen. With the resistive screen, it allows you to kinda pre-position your finger before making the selection. I had had this radio for almost a year and have not found the resistive screen to be a feature, not a defect. I hope this helps. [ Robert C. Feb 04, 2017 ]
It's resistive but very responsive to touch. Also screen is very clear and bright. [ Michael Feb 03, 2017 ]
Resistive, but it is very good, very sensitive; you hardly need need to apply any pressure at all. You wont be disappointed in the screen with regard to tactile response. [ Stephen Feb 03, 2017 ]
You can not use Waze through CarPlay. Waze was bought by google. To get Waze you will need to use the hdmi cable along with the Apple lighting adapter. P/N -- MD826AM/A From there use the second USB to charge the phone while driving. If you use the Apple USB the phone will just buzz and give you an an error code on the screen [ CHRIS Jan 19, 2017 ]
I do not think that will ever work. Google owns Waze so it may work in the future on android auto. I think it will work via a screen mirror via the hdmi hookup [ Christopher Jan 19, 2017 ]
Waze isn't supported yet with android, not sure about CarPlay. If you have an android device, there's a 3rd party app that will let you mirror your screen. Check out appradio unchained reloaded. Good luck. [ Andrew Jan 19, 2017 ]
You can have Waze play through the stereo, but not display on Carplay. This is about the best you can do. If you google for carplay and waze, you can find how to have the audio/directions play through the head unit. [ Gregory Jan 18, 2017 ]
3 answers "USB Extension Cable Note: Only use the included 58" USB extension cable for CarPlay & Android Auto. Do not use a 3rd party USB extension cable." Why won't a 3rd party USB extension cable work? I'd much rather replace my cigarette light with a USB adapter or having something flush mount then simply having a cord hang out of my dash? Alternatively, could I just plug the provided cord into the adapter, then plug into the lightning connector? [ Jason Jan 18, 2017 ]
i purchased and installed this radio last summer, along with a 2-port USB connector that I mounted under my dash - I ran those cables from the external USB connector into the radio, and then use Anker lightning cable to connect my iPhone into the external USB Connector. I've been using CarPlay for months without any problems! [ DANIEL C Jan 19, 2017 ]
I believe I used an aftermarket USB cable for my install with no problems. [ Sean Jan 18, 2017 ]
I have used several cables with no problem. That said, Apple products can be picky about USB cables. I would just try to stick with Apple certified. I currently use the included cable into a very short USB to Lightning. [ Patrick Jan 18, 2017 ]
The ability to retain steering wheel controls with aftermarket receivers will be determined by the receiver you are using and the vehicle you have. For full information on this type of integration (including the parts you will need) please contact an Advisor by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat. [ Kenny Jan 16, 2017 ] Staff
You can check to see if this will fit your vehicle by using our Outfit My Car tool: http://www.crutchfield.com/car/carselector.aspx For additional details on fit or installation please contact an Advisor by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat. They will be able to pull up your vehicle and give you the details on if this will fit and what you will need for an installation in your vehicle. [ Krissy Jan 13, 2017 ] Staff
3 answers I will be using the 4200NEX with my iPhone 6 Plus and soon with the 7 Plus. I understand that I need to use the correct 1 of 2 rear ports and will make sure my main visible connection is in the correct port. I am having this unit installed in the 2016 Jeep Wrangler that I drive but at times my husband is with me and he is married to his 1st generation iPod (yeah the one that you can hear the hard drive spinning). I would like to use that 2nd port to connect his ancient 30 pin connection iPod to. Is that possible? [ Danny B Dec 29, 2016 ]
Yes, I am using my 4200NEX exactly as you are. I have an iPhone 6s connected to USB 1, and an iPod classic connected to USB2. In the menu they show up as iPod 1 & 2. [ Gregory Jan 18, 2017 ]
No, the second port is for Android phones [ Andre Dec 31, 2016 ]
Use the bottom port for the iPhone and the top for the iPod. [ Mark Dec 30, 2016 ]
It's great with Sirius XM. You will need to connect to an SXV-300 XM receiver. The 4200 NEX XM interface is really nice, and with the SXV-300 you will have the ability to replay up to 1 hour of content. Additionally there are other features like playback that mixes content from your presets (Tune mix), weather, and other extras. [ Michael Dec 23, 2016 ]
For additional details on fit or installation please contact an Advisor by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat. They will be able to pull up your vehicle and give you the details on if this will fit and what you will need for an installation in your vehicle. [ Kenny Dec 09, 2016 ] Staff
A wire (a.k.a. cable) is needed for CarPlay and Android Auto. [ MyDogHadFleas Dec 05, 2016 ]
Apple CarPlay has to be plugged in to utilize the features of CarPlay. You can connect with Bluetooth and you would get phone and limited music functionality but not all the CarPlay features. [ Sean Dec 05, 2016 ]
Your phone has to be plugged in. [ Ronald Dec 05, 2016 ]
To use CarPlay it has to be connected with the USB cable; it can be connected via Bluetooth, but the it functions only for phone calls streaming music (it will show as an iPod). You won't have access to any CarPlay features. [ DANIEL C Dec 05, 2016 ]
CarPlay needs to be plugged in directly [ Melvin Dec 05, 2016 ]
Your iPhone has to be plugged in to use CarPlay. However, you can also pair your phone via Bluetooth and it will take over when you are not plugged in. [ Patrick Dec 05, 2016 ]
Yes you can [ Usvaldo Dec 05, 2016 ]
Yes you can if you look at the back of the radio, it's the brown RCA [ CHRIS Dec 05, 2016 ]
I believe you can only connect 1 camera [ Sean Dec 05, 2016 ]
Press and hold the mute button [ Robert C. Feb 04, 2017 ]
If you purchased the product from Crutchfield, feel free to contact our Tech Support team. They can walk you through the settings on the product and see if there may be a fix. Our toll-free Tech Support number is printed on your invoice, and is also available under the "My Orders" tab in the "My Account" section of our website. If you did not purchase the unit from Crutchfield, then you may want to contact the manufacturer. You can also post your question in our forums: http://community.crutchfield.com. Or try our online support center: http://crutchfield.custhelp.com/app/answers/list/kw/. [ Krissy Nov 09, 2016 ] Staff
The research we have for your '08 Rav-4 does not show any way to retain the factory Bluetooth mic with an aftermarket head unit installed. So in this case you'd need to use the external mic that comes with the Pioneer AVH-4200NEX in your installation. Since you purchased from us at Crutchfield, feel free to contact our Technical Support for any help with the wiring and/or installation--you can reach them 7-days a week by phone via the Tech number printed on your Crutchfield invoice. You can also find that listed under the "My Orders" tab in the "My Account" section of our website. I hope that helps! [ Larry Oct 26, 2016 ] Staff
You can check to be sure this will fit your vehicle and see what installation items would be needed by using our "OutfitMyCar" tool: http://www.crutchfield.com/car/carselector.aspx If you need any further assistance, feel free to contact an Advisor directly by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat. I hope that helps! [ Larry Oct 26, 2016 ] Staff
You will want to contact an Advisor by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat to discuss compatibility with your factory system. They will be able to pull up your vehicle and see if this will integrate. If it does not, then they will also be able to discuss other options with you. [ Kenny Oct 10, 2016 ] Staff
3 answers fyi, my Iphone 6s REQUIRED the lightning cable to be cabled DIRECTLY to USB-1. Regardless of what you see on page 61 in the manual as going to either USB and through the USB cable. Going through the USB cable to either USB1 or USB2 did NOT work. Lightning cable to USB2 did not work! ONLY lightning cable to USB1 works! Are others experiencing this as well? [ Russ Sep 26, 2016 ]
Usb 1 is for Apple USB 2 is for Android [ Robert C. Feb 04, 2017 ]
I've used phones connected to both USB-1 and USB-2, but as noted in the manual, CarPlay must be connected via USB-1. [ DANIEL C Dec 05, 2016 ]
What I read before my install was that iPhones (Carplay) must use USB1, iPods (no Carplay) may use either port. USB extensions are always iffy, but I had no trouble with a Belkin 1m USB/Lightning cable in USB1. [ Jon Sep 26, 2016 ]
6 answers What is the maximum tilt angle of the motorized face? In the 2011 Honda Civic, the DIN is tilted back at an angle of negative 30 degrees. Will this motorized face tilt the screen forward by 30 degrees to compensate for this Honda design? The negative 30 degree tilt of the DIN creates an awful glare on my current aftermarket headunit and I can't read the screen. [ Perry Sep 15, 2016 ]
The screen cannot tilt negative (towards the floor of the car) with respect to the head unit, it can only tilt positive at about 5 degree increments up to about 30 degrees (toward the roof of the car). The screen is by default perpendicular to the head unit and can only tilt upwards from there. If the head unit is installed in the car at angle inclined (i.e. not horizontal) then the face will also be angled. I do not believe the glare issue you have will be resolved as there is no way to have the screen tilt downward. [ Ronald Sep 17, 2016 ]
I don't know the exact angle, but it seems it tilts enough to meet your needs. [ Michael Sep 16, 2016 ]
I had one. The motor moves the face in about ten degree increments. Three steps. [ linda Sep 16, 2016 ]
The manual for this model on page 9 is silent about maximum/minimum range of tilt angles. However, there does not seem to be a way to tilt the screen forward which is what you are asking. I suggest running this by Crutchfield tech support for a definitive answer. Start by asking if the screen can tilt forward. Once that's answered you can follow-up with maximum tilt angle. Good luck [ MyDogHadFleas Sep 16, 2016 ]
Unfortunately this Pioneer radio has the same glare issues you are looking to avoid. [ JEREMY Sep 16, 2016 ]
I believe you have to order the correct aftermarket mounting kit for your car. The unit itself will not tilt forward 30 degrees as far as I can tell. [ Sean Sep 16, 2016 ]
Yes. You can disable the auto feature and manually set either 'day' or 'night'. You can also program 'day' or 'night' based on time of day. [ JEFF Aug 30, 2016 ]
Possibly. You need to find out if the Sirius tuner is in your stock radio or a separate tuner. If it is a separate tuner then you can possibly use the idatalink maestro interface. If it is in your stock radio than it is gone when you remove the radio & you will need a new Sirius tuner. The good news is that they are not expensive at all & Sirius will work with you to transfer if you have a subscription. You will also need an antenna adapter that is also not super expensive. Same goes with your backup camera. There are a couple of interfaces that might work for you. idatalink or Metra. The nice thing about the idatalink interface is that the AVH-4200NEX is already prewired for it & it will also allow you to keep your steering wheel controls. [ RICHARD Aug 27, 2016 ]
2 answers My 2002 Honda Accord EX has the component tweeters in the far forward up-firing dash corners and the midranges in the doors. Will using the optional Pioneer CD-MC20 Microphone auto-correct the timing via the Auto-EQ due to having the midrange and tweeters such a great distance apart? [ CHRISTOPHER Aug 26, 2016 ]
My Silverado also has the front firing tweeters, I installed this as is and I have no complaints [ Christopher Aug 27, 2016 ]
The auto EQ only works with RF, LF, RR, LR & sub. It will Time Align with those 5 channels but will not recognize eq or time shift components on the same channel. You would need to step up to a better processor like the Alpine to do that. I can't imagine that your tweeters are out of alignment with the woofers though. You would notice that the music sounds funny and instruments and voices are not in sync. They would have to be really far apart to notice & Honda would have a real problem on their hands. [ RICHARD Aug 27, 2016 ]
Either 1) it was not wired correctly, or 2) there are 2 setting for dimming, a day and a night, perhaps the night dimming is set to the same brightness as the day. When you go to the dimming setting, if you turn on your headlights it should then offer a night dimming level. [ Ronald Sep 17, 2016 ]
If you purchased the product from Crutchfield, feel free to contact our Tech Support team. They can walk you through the settings on the product and see if there may be a fix. Our toll-free Tech Support number is printed on your invoice, and is also available under the "My Orders" tab in the "My Account" section of our website. If you did not purchase the unit from Crutchfield, then you may want to contact the manufacturer. You can also post your question in our forums: http://community.crutchfield.com. Or try our online support center: http://crutchfield.custhelp.com/app/answers/list/kw/. [ Krissy Aug 26, 2016 ] Staff
My Galaxy S6 with Marshmallow works with BT for Pandora and other Android features such as Ok, Google. Not sure about the USB-C issue. [ Timothy A. Aug 23, 2016 ]
You need to hook up using a USB cable. Bluetooth or WiFi is not an option. I use a Nexus 6P with USB-C, and it works flawlessly. I can't speak to the HTC 10 as far as heat. I did have trouble using Android Auto with an LG G4, but that issue seems to be phone based. [ Paul Aug 23, 2016 ]
Android Auto will not work via Bluetooth. You have to use a USB connection. I'm not sure about USB-C. I'd recommend calling Crutchfield tech support about that. [ Jeff Aug 23, 2016 ]
The Pioneer AVH-4100NEX does not offer any iPod-specific video capability with an iPod Classic. As David mentioned, you may be able to use a 30-pin to composite video adapter (not available from Crutchfield) to connect the iPod to the aux A/V input on the Pioneer. I hope that helps. My Bio: http://www.crutchfield.com/Support/Bio.aspx?bio=5 [ Ryan Aug 24, 2016 ] Staff
I am not sure but the 30-pin to composite AV cable will give audio and video out that can go into the head unit. Be aware that there is an input that must be connected to the parking brake which makes it so that you can only watch video while in park. [ David Aug 23, 2016 ]
The above should have started with the parent pioneer www site [ Alexander Aug 23, 2016 ]
Refer to the manual: /StaticFiles/Manuals/Car/AVH-4100NEX_OwnersManual021915.pdf (page 34). Remove the <> as Crutchfield blocks external sites. Hope this helps. [ Alexander Aug 23, 2016 ]
You can't. Waze will not be available until the next version of Android Auto is released. [ George Aug 15, 2016 ]
You can't. Since Google bought Waze and there are now andoid radios, the only way to use Wade on this radio is to use the HDMI cable And mirror your phone on the radio. There was suppose to be an update a while back to use Waze on CarPlay whet that has yet to materialize. Btw use the 2nd USB that was suppose to be for droid to charge your phone. [ CHRIS Aug 15, 2016 ]
7 answers If your smartphone connects to the pioneer radio via the mini USB port, this is also the same port required to charge your phone. What happens if I have low or dead battery charge on my phone? Does the Pioneer serve as a phone charger? Or must I first charge the phone before I can connect to the radio? [ Joe Aug 02, 2016 ]
Yes it will charge the phone [ Mark Aug 03, 2016 ]
Yes it will serve as a phone charger. here is more info. i found from the manual. page 67. hope this answer your question. you can download the manual from crutchfield website. click details tab. below whats in the box. The smartphone was not charged. Charging stopped because the temperature of the smartphone rose due to prolonged use of the smartphone during charging. -Disconnect the smartphone from the cable, and wait until the smartphone cools down. More battery power was consumed than was gained from charging. -This problem may be resolved by stopping any unnecessary services on the smartphone. [ edison Aug 03, 2016 ]
You need a charger cable that goes from mini USB to regular size USB. Yes it does charge your phone. [ Ryan Aug 03, 2016 ]
Hi Joe, The USB connection in my car which connects to the Pioneer also charges the phone. I always leave with a 100% charge no matter what percent of a full charge I begin with. I hope this helps. Ted [ THEODORE Aug 02, 2016 ]
Yes, it is a standard USB port that will charge while connected [ Steve Aug 02, 2016 ]
There are two standard USB ports on the back of the unit. To hard wire your phone simply connect the iPhone to one of those ports. As with any device powered device with a USB it will charge your phone but charging will be slow. I use the Bluetooth opinion with my iPhone. Works perfectly and no unnecessary cabling cluttering up the vehicle. [ Guest Aug 02, 2016 ]
Put this in my dads truck, but I'm more than 90% certain that it WILL charge the phone. Hope this helps. [ DENNIS M Aug 02, 2016 ]
My samsung galaxy S3 and S7 work just fine with android auto. [ Ronald Sep 17, 2016 ]
The short answer to this is yes. But when I tried to connect my sons S6 Active it said the USB cable was wrong. I remember reading something in the manual, make sure to reference the manual and get the proper cable, it isn't a standard cable. [ Steve Aug 03, 2016 ]
I use an iPhone, but the Pioneer is loaded with google play which is the same thing as CarPlay for Apple. As long as your phone is an Android OS it should work just fine. My son has an Android Samsung phone, I will have him connect tonight and verify and then post the results. Hope this helps somewhat [ Steve Aug 02, 2016 ]
I use neither one but it pairs very quickly with my android phone so if your phone has the app it should work just fine I bought it mostly for the card slot to copy large amounts of cd music onto and hd radio [ brent Aug 01, 2016 ]
I am not certain on specific phone models, however both iOS and window based phones can be connected and configured to run on the Pioneer. Also the use of the Pioneer AppRadio function can be set up. [ John Aug 01, 2016 ]
It works with ios or android. I use with my iPhone and I can use any apps from my phone, so I think AppRadio function should work for you. [ JAMES Aug 01, 2016 ]
No. There is no way to pause live radio. [ Robert C. Jul 28, 2016 ]
no [ Christopher Jul 27, 2016 ]
Unfortunately, no! Though the introduction of a Tivo-like service for radio would be awesome. One other minor annoyance is that you have to dig into a sub-menu to turn the radio off. Otherwise it just stays on all the time. Not a big deal as I just mute it from the steering wheel (the Maestro lets me mute in my Tacoma by holding the volume down button for a couple seconds... a very nice feature). [ Jason Jul 25, 2016 ]
No, It won't buffer the audio for you. [ Mark Jul 25, 2016 ]
No. This radio isn't like a DVR for your TV where it can record/pause live broadcasting. [ Scott Jul 25, 2016 ]
I use a Chromecast. If you can make a Wifi hotspot with your phone, the Chromcast can connect and you can use the mirror feature. I use it all the time. Short HDMI cable from rear to the Chromecast, and a power USB for it. I spliced in a 12v to 5v converter on the switched 12v wire. You can buy the converter for ~$8. [ Stephen Jul 15, 2016 ]
You will want to contact an Advisor by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat to discuss compatibility with your factory system. They will be able to pull up your vehicle and see if this will integrate. If it does not, then they will also be able to discuss other options with you. [ Kenny Jul 08, 2016 ] Staff
I have to assume what you are trying to do is to be able to watch video while the car is moving. A sufficiently smart auto mechanic/electrician could probably figure out how to do it. But watching a video while driving is very dangerous. I drive a racecar and I would never consider watching a video while driving my personal car on the street. [ JAMES Jun 28, 2016 ]
Very subjective question. I have a convertible and my old lady had no issues watching The 6 Million Dollar Man on DVD during 2pm day time. [ David Jun 16, 2016 ]
Most likely terrible. Today in my Prius (no sun roof) I couldn't see the screen at all because it was so sunny out. With that being said, you probably don't need to see it and just about any display will probably wash out. You can use handheld remote and just remember the buttons on it. [ Harold Jun 16, 2016 ]
The screen is good in sun light. I don't have my windows tented and I only have issues if the sun is directly on the screen .I only have a problem when back up camera is on with direct sunlight. Depending how the unit sets in the dash plays a big part in the view of any screen. [ Richard Jun 16, 2016 ]
I have not had a problem with the sun although have not had the entire top off with it yet [ Jason Jun 15, 2016 ]
The display can sometimes appear a bit washed out when there is a lot of sunlight. However most of the time the display in fantastic and really amazing at night. The display also picks up finger prints easily. However the features and sound is so good that I totally ignore the occasional display washout or finger prints. Like the radio a lot I have a Homda Accord but I suspect the display behaves similar in a Wrangler. [ Michael Jun 15, 2016 ]
You can see the display in the sun, but with anything...it isnt as crisp as it would be with no sun. It is no worse than your iphone with full brightness...maybe a little better, but that is the best comparison I can offer. [ Gregory Jun 15, 2016 ]
If you purchased the product from Crutchfield, feel free to contact our Tech Support team. They can walk you through the settings on the product and see if there may be a fix. Our toll-free Tech Support number is printed on your invoice, and is also available under the "My Orders" tab in the "My Account" section of our website. If you did not purchase the unit from Crutchfield, then you may want to contact the manufacturer. You can also post your question in our forums: http://community.crutchfield.com. Or try our online support center: http://crutchfield.custhelp.com/app/answers/list/kw/. [ Kenny Jun 14, 2016 ] Staff
3 answers I'm considering the 4200 because we have iPhones and this unit has CarPlay and AppRadio 4. Can this be installed so you can switch between using CarPlay for native iPhone apps and AppRadio 4 for 3rd party apps such as Waze? If so is there any special cabling hookups I need to consider before installation or does 1 cable do both CarPlay and AppRadio? I keep finding conflicting information about this. Thank You. [ Bill Jun 02, 2016 ]
For CarPlay you have to use the top USB port. Waze does not work with this connection. However it does have an HDMI connection on the back and I believe based on some YouTube videos you can use that connection with an HDMI Lightening adapter and Waze will work. I know through HDMI you can mirror your iPhone. I need to pull my head unit out this weekend to hook up my sub I bought and I will try that connection with Waze and see what happens. No matter what I think you will have to use separate cables to perform these functions for now. Eventually I am sure Apple will allow Waze and you won't have to switch cables. [ Bryan Jun 04, 2016 ]
You have to choose how your phone connection to the receiver (in the input /output setting menu > smartphone set up ) to be able to use Apple Car Play or App radio . To use Apple Car Play , connect your iPhone to the usb hub ( the top one ) of the receiver , go to setting > input/ output > smartphone set up, choirs iPhone then choose usb , turn on Apple Car Play . To use Appradio you need an HDMI cable , an Apple AV didital adapter ( available at Apple Store for $50 ) , set up connection method : AV digital adapter / Bluetooth . With Appradio app you can use some of compatible 3rd apps like Appradio Live ,Navmii, EC touch , Pandora , Spotify , ect. Waze is not compatible with IOS 9 , it doesn't even launch on my IPhone 6s , they need to update the app .Or you can select HDMI input of the receiver to mirror everything on your phone to the screen even Netflix and You Tube video but you do the control on the phone not on the screen . Either method of use , your phone has to be connected time to time . The AVH- 4200NEX is a beautiful receiver , it has a lot of features you can have fun with , Apple Car Play works very well everything is on screen . App radio work well too but you have to launch the app on the phone . I got it from Crutchfield , they ship to me fast tax free and free shipping , Recommend [ Duc Minh Jun 03, 2016 ]
I recently purchased this head unit. I have not installed it as of yet, but have been doing some research on using it and what is necessary to utilize it's features. I found a lot of information on Pioneers website. You do need separate cables (as did I with an Android) to utilize the AppRadio features. You should be able to find the cable specs there. Hope this helps. [ Terryl Jun 03, 2016 ]
Using the "audio mix" function while in AppRadio Mode will allow you to listen to other music sources simultaneously while your Waze navigation is displayed on screen. It is not specified whether you can use iHeart Radio with this function, but the info in the owner's manual indicates "audio mix" will work with music apps & stored music on your smartphone. I hope that helps. My Bio: http://www.crutchfield.com/Support/Bio.aspx?bio=159 [ Larry May 20, 2016 ] Staff
When connected to the USB port with the 30pin to USB cable that came with your iPod, absolutely. You will find this information, and more, by clicking the "Details" tab on the stereo's main webpage and scrolling down below the "Features & Specs" table. I hope that helps! My Bio: http://www.crutchfield.com/Support/Bio.aspx?bio=5 [ Ryan May 14, 2016 ] Staff
If you purchased the product from Crutchfield, feel free to contact our Tech Support team. They can walk you through the settings on the product and see if there may be a fix. Our toll-free Tech Support number is printed on your invoice, and is also available under the "My Orders" tab in the "My Account" section of our website. If you did not purchase the unit from Crutchfield, then you may want to contact the manufacturer. You can also post your question in our forums: http://community.crutchfield.com. Or try our online support center: http://crutchfield.custhelp.com/app/answers/list/kw/. [ Krissy May 16, 2016 ] Staff
Yes [ Richard Jun 16, 2016 ]
Yes, it supports a backup camera and 2nd auxiliary camera. With correct install it will also display the backup camera when in reverse. [ Michael May 15, 2016 ]
1 answer Is there no option to force analog radio reception? I have a favorite station that is a somewhat weak signal, and it's very distracting to have it constantly blend back and forth between digital and analog, especially since the two are usually not in sync. My old aftermarket deck had an "analog only" setting. [ James May 10, 2016 ]
In order to avoid having it switch between digital broadcast and analog broadcast automatically, you can turn the "Reception Blending" feature OFF in the Radio Settings menu (found under the "System" setting screen). The 4200NEX sets the factory default with Reception Blending ON, but once you turn it OFF reception will be conducted within an analog broadcast only. I hope that helps. My Bio: http://www.crutchfield.com/Support/Bio.aspx?bio=159 [ Larry May 11, 2016 ] Staff
The head unit can pair with up to 3 different bluetooth enabled devices at the same time. The head unit will auto connect to a previously paired device, if that device is in range and bluetooth is on. Once and a while, it will fail to connect, so you may have to manually initiate connection from the head unit. Call quality is outstanding! Hands down the best bluetooth calling I have ever had and I tried tons. [ Robert C. May 15, 2016 ]
With support for android auto and apple car play you'll probably find yourself not even using Bluetooth, I have the same unit and turned Bluetooth off for the simple fact I would never use it. However to answer your question, it will save multiple bt profiles and auto connect to paired devices. [ Michael May 15, 2016 ]
I'm not sure if you're able to connect multiple devices at the same time, but I do know that 4200NEX does have a memory of up to 3 devices. I'd test it, but I only have one device to pair with it. There is an option to auto-connect to a bluetooth device. I believe the default setting is to "on." The auto-connect connects to the last device it was paired with. [ Greg May 12, 2016 ]
I'm pretty sure it will only link with one blue tooth device at a time...... [ linda May 12, 2016 ]
Q1: no Q2: yes , but need to be set up in unit settin. [ BOUNTHAVY May 11, 2016 ]
Only one device can be connected at a time through bluetooth, you can choose that device to autoconnect in settings after the device is paired. [ TY May 10, 2016 ]
Yes and yes. It's a pretty great unit. Had mine installed for 3 days and am loving it. [ Andrew May 10, 2016 ]
The specs according to the manual are SD or SDHC, Version 2, 16-32GB. If you purchase a Class 10 it will give you better quality, as it can process the information faster. [ Terryl Jun 03, 2016 ]
According to the user manual, the AVH-4200NEX is compatible with version 2 of the SD specification. Per Wikipedia, SD version 2.0 supports capacities up to 32 GB. The AVH-4200NEX manual lists support for up to 1,500 folders and 15,000 files on compatible SD cards. So, using multiple sources, the answer to the original question seems to be 32 GB. The manual states that not all SD cards will work. [ MyDogHadFleas May 05, 2016 ]
I've successfully used a 32GB Sandisk card [ Jon May 04, 2016 ]
Thanks for your question. For information on comparing two or more models I would recommend reaching out to an Advisor by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat. They will be able to help determine the differences and help you make the best choice for your system and your budget. [ Kenny Apr 04, 2016 ] Staff
1 answer For reference, I have 2010 Toyota RAV4 with steering wheel control for Radio and Bluetooth, TPS, VSS, No Amplifier, Backup Camera. Questions: 1. Does this HU accept VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor) signal by itself? 2. If I added iDataLink Maestro RR to this, what are the OEM features that can be controlled by this HU? and what are the accessories required? Thank you! [ Sonny Mar 27, 2016 ]
You will want to contact an Advisor by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat to discuss compatibility with your factory system. They will be able to pull up your vehicle and see how this will integrate, and what you will need for an installation. [ Kenny Mar 30, 2016 ] Staff
Thanks for your question. They are basically identical in size being they are both double din receivers. The slightest difference would be the 4100 has 0.03" more depth than then 4200. Hope that helps. [ Kenny Mar 19, 2016 ] Staff