MartinLogan Motion® SLM
Multi-purpose home theater speaker
California customers: click here for your Proposition 65 warning.Please
Our take on the MartinLogan Motion® SLM by Crutchfield's Steve Kindig
Clear, effortless sound from this wall-mountable or tabletop speaker
MartinLogan's compact Motion SLM speaker will deliver great sound no matter where you place it. This versatile speaker can be used as an on-wall left, right, or center channel speaker, or you can mount it on the included glass base for placement on your entertainment cabinet. Best of all, the Motion SLM features some of ML's best speaker technologies for a wide soundstage, pinpoint imaging, and superb realism.
The Folded Motion tweeter helps the ultra-slim Motion SLM sound like a much bigger speaker.
Folded Motion tweeter for detailed sound
MartinLogan's innovative Folded Motion tweeter uses a pleated diaphragm that works like an accordion by "squeezing" air to create sound. It requires about 90% less excursion than a typical 1" dome tweeter, resulting in quicker response time and much lower distortion. The tweeter's controlled sound dispersion creates a focused soundstage with a real sense of presence. Music sounds amazingly detailed, but smooth and effortless, without a trace of harshness.
Surprisingly full sound from a super-thin design
The other key to the Motion SLM's outstanding performance is the innovative dual 4" ultra-slim mid/woofers and dual 4" passive bass radiators. The passive radiators act as pressure relief valves for the cabinet, causing the woofers to behave as if they were operating in a much larger cabinet. The result is full, dynamic sound that makes movies and music more enjoyable and engaging. The high-gloss cabinet is under 2" thick including the supplied bracket, so you can wall-mount it next to even the thinnest flat-panel TVs and maintain a sleek, elegant look.
- 1" x 1.4" Folded Motion tweeter for exceptional musical detail with low distortion
- two 4" paper cone bass/midrange drivers
- two 4" paper cone passive radiators
- frequency response 110-25,000 Hz (±3dB)
- sensitivity 94 dB
- impedance: 4 ohms
- recommended amplifier power: 20-140 watts
- one pair of push-style binding posts
- gloss black finish
- includes wall-mounting bracket and curved black-glass base
- also includes "kick-stand" brackets for free-standing center channel applications
- 6-7/16"W x 25-5/16"H x 1-7/8"D
- weight: 6.5 lbs.
- warranty: 5 years (with product registration)
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- Ultra-slim loudspeaker
- Magnetic grille (installed)
- MartinLogan magnetic logo
- Vertical stand
- 2 Horizontal stands
- Two #8 x 3/4" screws
- Two 1.5" screws
- 2 Drywall anchors
- 4 Self-adhesive rubber pads
- User's Manual (En/Fr)
- Installation template
- Product Registration Card
Great addition to slim tv. great sound
MartinLogan Motion® SLM Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|Midrange size (inches)||N/A|
|Woofer size (inches)||4|
|Connector Type||Spring post|
|Frequency Response||110-25k Hz|
|Parts Warranty||5 Yrs w/ Registration|
|Labor Warranty||5 Yrs w/ Registration|
2-Way Speaker/Passive Radiator Design: The secret to the Motion SLM ultra-slim speaker's outstanding performance is the innovative dual 4" ultra-slim fiber cone woofers and dual 4" high-velocity passive bass radiators, paired with a Folded Motion tweeter to create smooth, refined sound with stunning dynamic range and excellent clarity.
- Folded Motion Tweeter: MartinLogan's Folded Motion tweeter helps give the Motion SLM ultra-slim loudspeaker its natural, realistic high frequency sound. Lightning fast transient response, combined with a large surface area (8x that of a typical 1" dome tweeter) creates clear, dynamic, and precise sound. The 1" x 1.4" Folded Motion tweeter works by moving air (which creates sound) perpendicular to the folded ridges of the diaphragm, similar to how an accordion works. This extremely low mass diaphragm "squeezes" air and requires almost 90% less excursion than the typical 1" dome tweeter, which drastically minimizes distortion while providing a lightning fast response time. The increased surface area also provides a wide, yet controlled sound dispersion (80°x80°) to create a realistic and carefully etched sound stage.
- Dual Ultra-Slim Woofers/Passive Bass Radiators: Two 4" paper cone woofers are coupled with two 4" paper cone passive radiators to provide rich, detailed midrange and midbass that complement MartinLogan's Folded Motion tweeter perfectly.
Precision Crossovers: To seamlessly blend the audio output from the high frequency driver (tweeter) and the midbass drivers (woofers), the Motion SLM loudspeaker features a precision 2600Hz crossover utilizing custom air core coil and low DCR steel laminate inductors, polyester film capacitors in series, and low DF electrolytic capacitors in parallel.
Ultra-Slim Cabinet: The high-gloss black ultra-slim cabinet is only 1.875" deep, for a total wall protrusion of 2.0" with the included wall mount bracket. Hidden discretely underneath the grille, the drivers are held securely in place by a solid, black-anodized brushed aluminum baffle.
Spring-Post Connectors: The MartinLogan Motion SLM speaker features two spring-post connectors to attach your speaker wire. The spring-posts will accept bare wire (16- to 12-gauge) and pin-connectors. The rubber caps on the spring-post connectors must be removed to use banana plugs.
Applications: The Folded Motion tweeter has an 80° x 80° dispersion pattern, which allows the Motion SLM ultra-slim speaker to sound exactly the same in a horizontal or vertical orientation, making them perfect for Left-Center-Right (LCR) system applications. Or, use them as rear surround speakers. Because of its ultra-slim design, the Motion SLM is perfect for wall-mounting next to your flat-panel television.
Note: This speaker is not magnetically shielded and therefore should not be placed directly beside or atop a CRT television.
Mounting Options: The MartinLogan SLM loudspeaker can be wall mounted next to your flat-panel TV using the keyhole slot on the back of the speaker and the included wall-mount bracket. The speaker can be mounted vertically or horizontally (for center-channel application) on your wall. While MartinLogan created the Motion SLM to wall mount next to a flat-panel TV, that's not its only application. Also, included with the ultra-slim speaker is a curved black base to allow them to sit vertically on a shelf, stand, or equipment cabinet. In addition, the speaker includes two "kick-stands" that attach to the back of the cabinet that allow you rest the loudspeaker horizontally on a flat surface and use it as a center-channel speaker. Dimensions of speaker:
- Wall-Mounted: 6.4375" (w) x 25.3125" (h) x 2.0" (d)
- Vertical Base: 9.75" (w) x 26.5" (h), 6.75" (d)
- Horizontal Kick Stands: 25.3125" (w) x 6.4375" (h) x 3.875" (d)
Note: The logo on the grille is magnetic and can move and rotate to the proper atheistically pleasing location in any orientation.
Break-in Period: Allow approximately 72 hours of break-in at 90 dB (moderate listening levels) before any critical listening.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Why did you buy this?
tiny size fits the very modern dÃ©cor of my living room [ steven May 09, 2017 ]
Recommended by a friend and heard at their home...awesome sound, sleek design [ Brenda Jul 21, 2016 ]
After extensive research, finally bought two SLM speakers (L, R). Space required wall mounting in average size room. [ Don Jul 21, 2016 ]
wanted best sound possible for wall mount front speaker installation in a 7.1 application of home theater. I have always wanted Martin Logan's! [ Rayford Mar 01, 2016 ]
Looks great with flat screen and sounds great [ CINDI Dec 13, 2015 ]
4 questions already asked
flexible plastic back with cloth front. And 6 small magnets to hold it onto the speaker [ Ronald Mar 11, 2017 ]
The Martin Logan SLM can be wall-mounted with the supplied brackets but are not made for use in a ceiling-mount application. While I know this isn't the answer you were looking for, I hope the information helps. [ Ryan Jan 27, 2017 ] Staff
From the manual it appears that the mounting holes are 16" apart. You can see the dimensional drawings here: http://pdf.crutchfieldonline.com/ImageBank/v20130922190600/Manuals/839/839MOSLMB.PDF [ Jeff Aug 08, 2016 ] Staff
The dimensions of the speaker with the included Vertical Mounting Base are: 9-3/4" (w) x 26-1/2" (h), 6-3/4" (d); without the base, they measure: 6-7/16" (w) x 25-5/16" (h) x 1-7/8" (d) My Bio: http://www.crutchfield.com/Support/Bio.aspx?bio=159 [ Larry Feb 01, 2016 ] Staff
Frequently Compared With
MartinLogan Motion® SLM
Multi-purpose home theater speaker
ELAC Uni-Fi UC5
Center channel speaker
Wharfedale Diamond 240C
Center channel speaker$499.99 each
MartinLogan Motion® SLM XL
Multi-purpose home theater speaker