Sonos Playbar 5.1 Home Theater System
Includes Sonos Playbar Sub, and two Play:1 speakers (Black Bar & Sub/White Surrounds)
Our take on the Sonos Playbar 5.1 Home Theater System by Crutchfield's Ralph Graves
Talk about a win-win. With the Sonos 5.1 wireless home theater system, you get an enveloping, realistic surround sound system, and you have the start of a Sonos multi-room audio system.
Outstanding sound for your TV
The system features the Playbar, which can deliver vibrant, room-filling sound all by itself, thanks to its nine-speaker array. Built-in amplification and processing can handle Dolby® Digital and lossless audio formats. And its automatic equalization self-adjusts to the program material to provide rich, seamless sound.
The Playbar wirelessly connects to the Sonos Sub, which delivers the deep bass necessary for a truly immersive audio experience. Two Play:1 speakers serve as the surround channels to complete the wraparound movie theater sound experience. And because they, too, make a wireless connection to the Playbar, you can place them where you want them.
Note: You can set up a home theater system with the Playbar, the Sub, and Play:1 speakers as surrounds, all without making a wired connection to your router. However, for challenging Wi-Fi® environments we recommend adding the optional Sonos Boost (not included) to make a stable wireless connection.
Multi-room home audio
These four components can also form the core of your own Sonos multi-room wireless audio system — or represent a major addition to one if you already have Sonos in your home. The Playbar and Play:1 speakers work seamlessly with a variety of Internet music services, including Pandora, Spotify®, and SiriusXM Internet Radio. And because Sonos connects directly to the Internet for all of these music services, you don't even have to turn on your PC. And you can stream music and podcasts stored in the Music app of your iPhone®, iPad®, or iPod touch®.
The system includes a Playbar, Sub, and two Play:1 speakers.
From our Sonos Playbar 5.1 system review:
The consensus was that the system sounded quite good. Lincoln, a Crutchfield advisor, said, “There's certainly ample power, good bass, and clarity.” I agreed as engines revved all around us during a thrilling chase scene. I bumped up the volume of the rear speakers and listened as airplanes flew from behind and over my shoulder before they even showed up on screen. We were also impressed how Dialogue Boost made even whispers clear.
— Jeff Miller, Crutchfield A/V Writer
Simple, intuitive control
Control the system's volume and mute functions using your existing TV, cable, or universal remote. The free Sonos Controller App lets you control Playbar with your smartphone or tablet and allows you to stream music to the Playbar or Play:1 speakers even when your TV is off.
- system communicates with other Sonos players via Wi-Fi or a dedicated Sonosnet™ 2.0 wireless network
- control your Sonos system with your iPhone®, iPod touch®, iPad®, Android™ device, or computer with the free Sonos app
- plays MP3, WMA, AAC, AAC+, WAV, FLAC, ALAC (Apple Lossless), AIFF, and Ogg Vorbis files (firmware is upgradable to support future audio formats)
- compatible with protected WMA files from Urge, AOL, and many other music download sites
- not compatible with protected AAC files from iTunes
- play music and podcasts stored on most Android or Apple portable devices
- plays MP3 and WMA streaming Internet radio stations
- compatible with most online music services, including Spotify®, Amazon Cloud Player, SiriusXM, and Rhapsody® (subscription required for most services)
- plays personalized Internet radio stations from PANDORA®
- multi-zone synchronous playback (same music plays in multiple zones simultaneously) or multi-stream playback (music individually selected for each player)
- compatible with Windows® (XP Service Pack 3 or higher operating system)
- compatible with Mac® (OS X 10.6 or higher operating system)
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- built-in amplifiers and nine built-in speakers (three tweeters and six midrange drivers)
- connects to your TV, Blu-ray player or cable box via an included optical digital audio cable
- built-in Dolby Digital decoding
- two-port Ethernet switch
- AC adapter included
- 35-1/2"W x 5-1/2"H x 3-5/16"D
- two force-canceling woofers for deep, rich bass and zero cabinet buzz or rattle
- two Class-D digital amplifiers perfectly match the woofers and acoustic architecture
- dual acoustic ports for enhanced bass performance
- automatically adjust audio settings to balance the SUB with your existing Sonos players
- Ethernet jack
- AC adapter included
- 15-7/8"W x 15-3/8"H x 6-5/16"D
2 Play:1 speakers (each):
- two built-in amplifiers and two built-in speakers (one midrange driver and one tweeter)
- 1/4" threaded mount for wall placement
- Ethernet port for connection to a router (cable included)
- AC adapter included
- 4-3/4"W x 6-3/8"H x 4-3/4"D
Sonos Playbar 5.1 Home Theater System Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Why did you buy this?
Great overall system that combines good sound, style, and ease of use. Pricey, but worth it. [ Rodney Oct 27, 2018 ]
I love Sonos and I am adding this to my existing system [ Marc Jul 07, 2018 ]
Great package for a larger than normal room [ Donald Sep 05, 2017 ]
Great sound, easy set-up and use. My only complaint would be no sound level indication. It would be nice to be able to go immediately to your favorite sound level for music, for movies or for television as they are all different. But I am very happy with the system. [ Don Jul 22, 2017 ]
I have no idea what took me so long. I love my Sonos! Amazing sound quality, simple to install and operate. [ K Apr 01, 2017 ]
5 questions already asked
That's a negative [ Joshua Dec 25, 2017 ]
The basic answer is three; a subwoofer and two surrounds. You can add more speakers if you add them as a group for a separate room. [ Jame Mar 06, 2017 ]
Not sure there is a limit. I have 2 Play1s set up as a surround system. I have 4 more spread around the house and have connected them all together to here TV audio around the house. Also have used the Playbar and all of the speakers to have great music around the house while entertaining. Will do almost anything you want it to do highly recommend [ Jerry Mar 05, 2017 ]
The answer is this, you can replace the Play1 surrounds with Play 3's or even Play 5's, but in all honesty, the gains just won't be that huge. The Play1 surrounds go plenty loud with amazing bass. [ Neal W. Oct 29, 2016 ]
Not the one I purchased here in the states from awesome Crutchfield. It only came with U.S connections. This question might be better answered through Sonos support. [ ADAM Jan 06, 2018 ]
Not a chance. Sonos will give you nothing for free. You can BUY mounts which will allow you to do this. Love this Sonos sound system. [ Don Nov 26, 2017 ]
No you can bot hang then from celilng. [ Roberto alves Nov 15, 2017 ]
No mounting hardware included.. But there are quite a few options available. [ Joshua Nov 14, 2017 ]
No you cannot. There is a threaded mounting hole in the back of the speakers that can be used with other mounting hardware you would need to purchase separately. [ Jame Nov 14, 2017 ]
No, you need a separate kit for that. I think they are available from third party suppliers. [ William Nov 14, 2017 ]
Sorry - but there is nothing in the box to hang from the wall or ceiling. I do see several options via google. [ Tracy Nov 14, 2017 ]
My set up did not come with mounting solutions at all. Mine are on top of a couple of cabinets in the rear of the room [ Jerry Nov 14, 2017 ]
Looking for more? Check out the next model in this lineup.
$1,678.00 After $118.00 Package discountAdd to Cart
Add Amazon Alexa voice control
The Sonos Playbar 5.1 Home Theater System with Voice Control offers these features:
includes 2 Sonos One speakers instead of 2 Play:1 speakers
Sonos One speakers have Amazon Alexa built in
Alexa can control your entire Sonos system