Sony Alpha a7R II (no lens included)
Full-frame 42-megapixel mirrorless camera with Wi-Fi®
Sony Alpha a7R II (no lens included) - Clean HDMI output with cable protector allows uncompressed movie output
Item # 158ILC7RM2 | MFR # ILCE7RM2/B
Offers & Financing
Our take on the Sony Alpha a7R II (no lens included) by Crutchfield's Deia Z.
The Sony Alpha a7R II has a 3" monitor that tilts up or down to help you compose shots from different angles.
The definition of high definition
The Sony a7R II packs heavy imaging power in a lightweight body. With enhanced light sensitivity and lightning-quick data output, its 42-megapixel full-frame back-illuminated CMOS sensor takes efficiency to a new level. The absence of an optical low-pass filter on this powerful sensor means you'll be able to take advantage of every one of those 42-plus megapixels of resolution for high-level detail and edge-to-edge clarity. Add to that a blazing-fast processing engine and you've got one rock-solid camera for producing remarkably clear photos and videos with near-instant autofocus and incredible low-light performance.
The a7R II's highly responsive Fast Hybrid autofocus system gives you clear action shots with keen subject tracking that keeps moving subjects in sharp focus throughout the frame. 399 AF points provide pinpoint autofocus accuracy in still images and movies.
Videographers, take note
The a7R II produces stunning Full HD video and is optimized for 4K movie recording. In Super 35mm format, data is processed from every pixel for sharp, finely detailed footage. A multi interface shoe lets you connect professional microphone kits for balanced audio to match the video quality. Advanced features like Picture Profile and the S-Log2 Gamma setting let you adjust color, gradation, and dynamic range for richly detailed movies, even when shooting in low light. A clean HDMI output sends uncompressed movie data to an external recorder or monitor. You can keep recording with the camera even when using this function.
Steady as she goes
At such high levels of definition and detail, even small amounts of camera shake can be visible in your videos or cause noticeable blurring in still images, so Sony has taken plenty of steps to ensure crystal-clear photos and shake-free videos. Five-axis image stabilization optimized for high-resolution sensors compensates for camera shake from five different directions, giving you freedom to shoot handheld, zoom in on distant subjects, and capture sharp night scenes. You can monitor the effects of camera shake compensation in the viewfinder or LCD screen while shooting and adjust framing and focusing if needed for steady results. The a7R II's reduced-vibration shutter has a braking mechanism that cuts down on vibration, and Silent Shooting Mode uses an electronic shutter that cuts out shake caused by mechanical shutter movement.
Your phone adds functionality
Built-in Wi-Fi means you can instantly transfer photos and videos from the a7R II directly to your phone or tablet for easy uploading and sharing. NFC touch pairing is also available for compatible Android™ devices. Sony's PlayMemories Camera Apps include free and paid apps that complement your photographic style and interests. There's the indispensable free Smart Remote Control app that lets you use your mobile device to control shooting on the a7R II, along with specialized apps for things like light painting, time-lapse, stop motion, and multiple exposure, plus plenty of editing effects to fine-tune your photos and add your own personal touches.
- 42.4-megapixel full-frame Exmor™ CMOS image sensor (35.9 x 24.0 mm) with no optical low-pass filter
- BIONZ X image processor for high-resolution, low-noise photos and fast autofocus performance
- compatible with Sony full-frame FE lenses and Sony E-mount lenses (in crop mode)
- Sony LA-EA3 and LA-EA4 adaptors allow you to use Sony A-mount lenses
- Wi-Fi lets you transfer photos and video to smartphones and tablets for easy image sharing
- NFC touch pairing with compatible Android™ devices
- PlayMemories Camera Apps let you add new camera functions and capabilities
- 2,359K-dot Organic LED (OLED) super high-resolution electronic viewfinder for easy eye-level composition
- sturdy magnesium-alloy body
- multi-interface shoe expands camera's compatibility with external flash and video accessories
- 3" LCD screen tilts upward 107 degrees and downward 41 degrees for easy framing of self-portraits and composition from odd angles
- 4K Ultra HD video recording with 100 Mbps maximum bit rate
- uncompressed, clean HDMI output supports 4K and full HD
- Anti-Dust Technology keeps image sensor clean for spotless photos
- fast, precise autofocus with contrast-detection AF system
- Eye AF control for accurate eye detection; can prioritize a single pupil when subject is partially turned away from camera
- program auto, shutter-priority, aperture-priority, manual, and fully automatic exposure modes
- 9 scene modes, including Portrait, Sunset and Hand-held Twilight, for accurately exposed images in different shooting environments
- 13 picture effects include Retro Photo, HDR painting, and Toy Camera modes
- Sweep Panorama mode stitches images together to create expansive vistas
- Auto HDR mode composites 3 exposures to capture all of the tonal gradations from the darkest shadows to the brightest highlights
- up to 5 frames per second in continuous shooting mode
- shutter speed range: 30-1/8,000 seconds, bulb
- ISO range: 100-102,400
- exposure bracketing: 3, 5, or 9 frames in variable increments
- flash sync at 1/250 second
- records in RAW and JPEG formats
- records photos and videos onto SD, SDHC and SDXC cards and Memory Stick PRO Duo and PRO-HG Duo memory cards
Connections and Dimensions:
- high-speed micro USB interface (cable included)
- micro HDMI output (cable not included)
- 3.5mm microphone input and 3.5mm headphone jack
- 5-1/2"W x 3-13/16"H x 2-3/4"D
- weight (with battery): 22 oz.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
- rechargeable NP-FW50 lithium ion battery
- battery charger/AC adapter
- shoulder strap
- micro USB cable
- body cap
What's in the Box:
- Digital camera body (black)
- Body cap (installed)
- Hot shoe cover (installed)
- Eyepiece cup (installed)
- Two NP-FW50 Lithium-Ion rechargeable batteries (7.2V 1020mAh 7.3Wh)
- BC-VW1 Battery charger (DC output: 8.4V 0.28A)
- AC-UUD11 AC adapter (DC output: 5V 1.5A)
- 2' USB cable (Type A USB on one end and Micro USB on other end)
- Neck Strap
- Cable protector
- Instruction Manual (English)
- Instruction Manual (French)
- Limited Warranty sheet
- Wi-Fi Connection/One-Touch (NFC) Guide (Eng/Fren)
- Lenses & Accessories brochure
- Capture One Express (for Sony) brochure
I have owned the a7ii I have the a6000, this is the best! I can go on here and go over all the features the autotracking the focusing magnification but you have to get your hands on it you have to use. I wouldn't recommend any camera right now except this one.
Rene, Los Angeles, CA
Sony Alpha a7R II (no lens included) Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|LCD Screen Size||3"|
|Lens 35mm Equivalent||N/A|
Memory Stick PRO Duo + PRO-HG Duo |
|Image Stabilization||Sensor Shift|
|Highest Resolution||7952 x 5304|
|Video Resolution||3840 x 2160|
|Weight With Battery (ounces)||22|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
Play And Print Functions
Overview: The Sony α7RII (ILCE-7RM2) Interchangeable-lens digital camera kit contains the α7RII camera body, along with two rechargeable batteries, battery charger, adjustable neck strap, and USB cable. The α7RII has a full-frame 35mm image sensor, and is compatible with Sony E-mount lenses. With the LA-EA4 Mount Adapter, the camera can also use Sony A-mount lenses.
3" Tiltable LCD Screen: The α7RII uses a 3" LCD screen with 1,228,800 dots. You can tilt the LCD up approximately 107° for low angle shots or tilt it down approximately 41° for high angle photography. The brightness of the LCD monitor can be adjusted in 5 steps from -2 to +2, plus a Sunny Weather mode.
0.51" OLED Electronic Viewfinder: The 0.51" high contrast Tru-Finder OLED electronic color viewfinder has 2,359,296 dots, and provides approximately 100% field of view. The viewfinder has a Zeiss T* (T-star) coating to reduce surface reflection, and features the world's highest viewfinder magnification of 0.78x. You can adjust the brightness in 5 steps. The built-in diopter lets you adjust the viewfinder image to your individual eyesight. You can set the camera to switch between the LCD screen and viewfinder automatically when you look into the EVF, or choose one or the other in the camera's menu.
Display Modes: In the viewfinder and monitor, you can choose from the following display types: Graphic Display, Display All Info, Display No Info, Histogram, and Digital Level Gauge.
Live View: The α7RII's Live View lets you use the LCD screen and Electronic Viewfinder to frame your photos as you shoot. When the Live View display is set to "Setting Effect On", the LCD or viewfinder will provide an accurate preview of your photo, including the white balance, exposure compensation, creative style or picture effect. With the "Setting Effect Off", you can check the image composition without the effects of the exposure settings.
Image Sensor: The α7RII features a back-illuminated, full-frame 35mm Exmor-R CMOS image sensor (35.9 x 24.0mm) with a 3:2 aspect ratio. It has approximately 43.6-million total pixels and 42.4-million effective pixels.
Still Image Recording Formats: The α7RII can shoot 35mm full-size image sensor photos in Large, Medium, and Small sizes. It can also shoot APS-C size equivalent pictures in L, M, and S. Still images are recorded in JPEG file format in Standard, Fine, and Extra Fine compression rates. You can choose to shoot in 3:2 or 16:9 aspect ratio, and in large, medium, and small image sizes. With a firmware update, you can record still images using the 14-bit RAW format (Large size only), which is uncompressed with no processing performed in the camera. RAW images must be transferred to a computer for processing, editing, and printing using the downloadable Image Data Converter software. You can select the following image sizes:
|Aspect Ratio/Size||35mm Full-Frame||APS-C Size|
|3:2 Large||7952 x 5304 (42M)||5168 x 3448 (18M)|
|3:2 Medium||5168 x 3448 (18M)||3984 x 2656 (11M)|
|3:2 Small||3984 x 2656 (11M)||2592 x 1728 (4.5M)|
|16:9 Large||7952 x 4472 (36M)||5168 x 2912 (15M)|
|16:9 Medium||5168 x 2912 (15M)||3984 x 2240 (8.9M)|
|16:9 Small||3984 x 2240 (8.9M)||2592 x 1456 (3.8M)|
|3:2 RAW (L)||7952 x 5304 (42M)||5168 x 3448 (18M)|
|16:9 RAW (L)||7952 x 4472 (36M)||5168 x 2912 (15M)|
Panorama Photos: The Panorama mode lets you record panoramic images by holding down the shutter button as you pan across the scene. Panoramic photos can be taken in several different resolution settings:
- Vertical: 3872 x 2160
- Horizontal: 8192 x 1856
- Vertical: 5536 x 2160
- Horizontal: 12416 x 1856
Movie Recording Formats: The α7RII can record 16:9 4K in XAVC S format and a maximum 100Mbps bit rate, as well as Full High Definition movies at 50 Mbps. You can also record movies in AVCHD and MP4 formats. All of the formats use MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 video compression. Audio is recorded in 2-channel LPCM (XAVC S), 2-channel Dolby Digital (AVCHD), and 2-channel AAC (MP4). Movies can be recorded in either NTSC or PAL. You can select from the following bit rates/image quality (NTSC):
|File Format||Resolution||Average Bit Rate|| Recording Time |
(64 GB SDXC)
|XAVC S 4K||3840 x 2160||
30p / 100 Mbps |
30p / 60 Mbps
24p / 100 Mbps
24p / 60 Mbps
1h 15m |
|XAVC S HD||1920 x 1080||
60p / 50 Mbps |
30p / 50 Mbps
24p / 50 Mbps
2h 35m |
|1280 x 720||120p / 50 Mbps||2h 35m|
|AVCHD||1920 x 1080||
60p / 28 Mbps / PS |
60i / 24 Mbps / FX
60i / 17 Mbps / FH
24p / 24 Mbps / FX
24p / 17 Mbps / FH
5h 05m |
|MP4||1920 x 1080||
60p / 28 Mbps |
30p / 16 Mbps
5h 20m |
|1280 x 720||30p / 6 Mbps||22h 00m|
Dual Media Options: The α7RII camera has a single slot for recording media, and will accept the following types of memory cards:
|Memory Card||Still Images||Movie Formats|
|MP4 and AVCHD||XAVC S|
|Memory Stick PRO Duo||All||Mark2 only||Not compatible|
|Memory Stick PRO-HG Duo||All||All||Not compatible|
|SD Memory Card||All||SD Speed Class 4 or UHS Speed Class U1 or faster||Not compatible|
|SDHC Memory Card||All||SD Speed Class 4 or UHS Speed Class U1 or faster||Not compatible|
|SDXC Memory Card||All||SD Speed Class 4 or UHS Speed Class U1 or faster||SD Speed Class 10 or UHS Speed Class U1 or faster |
When recording at 100 Mbps or more, UHS Speed Class U3 is required.
Clear Image Zoom: Clear Image Zoom, powered by Sony's By Pixel Super Resolution Technology, increases the effective focal length of the lens by up to 1.5x (Medium images) or 2x (Small images) by digitally magnifying the center of the image with no image degradation. A separate Digital Zoom of approximately 4x is also available.
Focus Modes: The α7RII's Fast Intelligent auto focus system combines the high-speed BIONZ X image processor and improved algorithms with optimized image sensor read-out speed to provide ultra-fast auto focusing. You can choose from the following Auto/Manual Focus Modes:
- AF-S (Single-shot Auto focus): The camera focuses and the focus is locked when you press the shutter button halfway down. Recommended for use with motionless subjects.
- AF-C (Continuous Auto focus): The camera continues to focus when you press and hold the shutter button halfway down. Recommended for use when the subject is in motion.
- AF-A (Automatic Auto focus): AF-S and AF-C are switched according to the movement of the subject. When the shutter button is pressed halfway, the camera continues to focus when the subject is in motion, and locks the focus when it determines the subject is motionless.
- Direct Manual Focus (DMF): After focusing automatically, you can make fine focusing adjustments manually by turning the focus ring on the lens.
- Manual Focus: When it is difficult to get the proper focus in auto focus mode, you can adjust the focus manually. This mode allows you to set the distance of a subject by rotating the focusing ring to achieve a sharp focus.
AF (Auto focus) Area: The α7RII features 399 focus points for phase-detection auto focusing, and 25 points for contrast-detection AF. You can select between 6 settings:
- Wide: The camera focuses automatically on a subject in all ranges of the image.
- Zone: You can select a zone on the monitor on which to focus.
- Center: The camera uses the AF area located in the center area exclusively.
- Flexible Spot: You can change the size of and move the focusing area in order to focus on a small subject or narrow area.
- Expand Flexible Spot: If focus isn't possible on the single selected point, it uses focus points around the flexible spot as a secondary focus area to facilitate focus.
- Lock-on AF: When the shutter button is pressed halfway, the camera tracks the subject within the select AF area. You can select the desired tracking start area by designating the area as a flexible spot or an expanding flexible spot.
Eye AF: The new Eye AF function can be assigned to a customizable button. When Eye AF is selected, the camera focuses on a person's eyes for extremely sharp focusing of the face.
Face Detection/Smile Shutter: The camera can detect human faces, and adjusts the focus, exposure, performs image processing and adjusts flash settings for best results. Faces can be registered, and priority given to those faces over others in the frame. Up to 8 faces can be detected and/or registered. When the Smile Shutter feature is enabled, the camera will automatically release the shutter when a slight, normal, or big smile is detected.
Auto Object Framing: When the camera detects and shoots faces, subjects shot with macro or subjects captured using Tracking Focus, the captured image is automatically trimmed into a suitable composition. Both the original and the trimmed images are saved. The trimmed image is recorded in the same size as the original image size. This feature can be turned on or off in the menu.
Focus Lock: If a subject is off-center and outside of the AF area, you can lock the focus of the camera.
AF Illuminator: When you press the shutter button halfway down a red illuminator is emitted until the focus is locked. Under dark lighting conditions or when you shoot a low contrast subject, the AF illuminator allows the camera to focus more easily on the subject. The AF illuminator has a range of 0.99' to 9.8'.
SteadyShot Inside: The α7RII is equipped with sensor-shift-type SteadyShot image stabilization system to reduce the effect of camera shake. This system is carefully fine-tuned to match the 42.4-megapixel performance of the camera, allowing you to photograph faraway objects without the blur of camera shake. SteadyShot INSIDE features 5-axis compensation with an effect equivalent to 4.5 stops faster shutter speed. It can compensate for camera shake in the following ways: Horizontal, Vertical, Pitch, Yaw, and Roll.
Drive Modes: The camera offers the following shooting modes: Single shooting, Continuous Shooting, Self-timer, Self-timer Continuous, and Bracketing (continuous, single, white balance, and DRO).
Continuous Shooting: The camera can record still images continuously while the shutter release button is held down. In Continuous Lo speed, the camera records up to 2.5 fps. In Continuous Hi speed, the camera can record at up to 5 frames per second. The maximum number of recordable frames depends upon the image quality setting:
- Extra Fine Large: 24 frames
- Fine L: 30 frames
- Standard L: 37 frames
- RAW: 23 frames
- RAW+JPEG: 22 frames
Self-Timer: You can set the camera to several self-timer settings:
- 10 Second: After you press the shutter button, the shutter will be released about 10 seconds later. This is convenient when the photographer wants to appear in a photo.
- 2 Second: After you press the shutter button, the shutter will be released about 2 seconds later. This is convenient to reduce camera-shake.
- Continuous Self-timer: The camera records 3 or 5 images continuously after a 10, 5, or a 2 second delay. You can choose the best shot from the multiple shots taken.
- Bracketing Self-timer: The camera records multiple images, each with a different exposure, after a 10, 5, or 2 second delay.
Bracket Shooting: Bracket shooting allows you to shoot 3, 5, or 9 images, each with different degrees of exposure, white balance, flash intensity, and dynamic range. You can select the increment steps for each frame of the bracket.
Exposure Modes: The top-mounted Mode Dial lets you select from the following exposure modes:
- Auto: In the menu, you can choose which of the following are
desired when the Mode Dial is set to Auto:
- iAuto (Intelligent Auto): This mode allows easy shooting with settings adjusted automatically.
- iAuto+ (Superior Auto): The camera recognizes and evaluates the shooting condition and sets the appropriate settings automatically. The camera saves one appropriate image by combining or separating images as necessary.
- Program Auto: For shooting with the exposure adjusted automatically (both the shutter speed and the aperture value), while allowing you to adjust other settings manually.
- Aperture Priority: This mode allows you to shoot after adjusting the aperture value manually, letting the camera set the appropriate shutter speed. This mode gives you greater control over the depth of field.
- Shutter Speed Priority: This mode allows you to shoot after adjusting the shutter speed manually, letting the camera set the appropriate aperture. You can choose a shutter speed of 1/8000 to 30 seconds for still images, or 1/8000 to 1/4 second for movies. With a high shutter speed, the moving subject appears as if it is frozen on the image. With a slow shutter speed, the moving subject appears as if it were flowing. Bulb photography is also available in this mode.
- Manual Exposure: This mode allows you to shoot after adjusting the exposure (shutter speed and aperture) manually.
- Scene Selection: You can select an appropriate mode for the subject or the shooting conditions to allow you to shoot the image with a suitable setting for the subject: Portrait, Sports Action, Macro, Landscape, Sunset, Night Scene, Hand-held Twilight, Night Portrait, and Anti Motion Blur.
- Sweep Panorama: Shoot expansive scenery or high-rise buildings with dynamic composition.
- Memory Recall (1, 2): You can register often-used camera settings (including Shooting Mode, Aperture, Shutter speed) in one of two memory positions on the Mode Dial for easy recall.
- Movies: You can record movies in 4K, Full HD, or standard definition in 16:9 or 4:3 aspect ratio. When selected on the Mode Dial, you can select the desired movie settings, including Program Auto, Aperture Priority, Shutter Priority, and Manual Exposure.
Picture Effect: In Intelligent Auto or Superior Auto mode, you can select Picture Effect to get one the following effect filters to achieve more impressive and artistic expression: Toy Camera, Pop Color, Posterization (color), Posterization (B/W), Retro Photo, Soft High-key, Partial Color (Red, Green, Blue, or Yellow), High Contrast Mono, Soft Focus, HDR Painting, Rich-tone Mono, Miniature, Watercolor, and Illustration.
Creative Style: The Creative Style function lets you select the desired image processing. You can adjust exposure (shutter speed and aperture) as you like with Creative Style. You can choose from: Standard, Vivid, Neutral, Clear, Deep, Light, Portrait, Landscape, Sunset, Night Scene, Autumn Leaves, Black & White, or Sepia. You can also adjust Contrast, Saturation, and Sharpness.
Exposure Compensation: Exposure compensation is used to alter the camera's standard exposure setting. You can make the image look lighter (increased exposure) or darker (decreased exposure) The exposure compensation amount can be set up to +/-3.0 EV in 1/3-step increments by turning the dial on the top of the camera or +/-5.0 EV in 1/3-step or 1/2-step increments in the menu.
AE Lock: You can fix the exposure before deciding on the composition when taking a picture. This is effective when the metering object and focusing object are different or when you want to shoot continuously while keep the same exposure value.
Metering Mode: A 1200-zone evaluative sensing system provides multi-pattern measuring for superior exposure control accuracy in a wide range of lighting conditions. You can select the method for measuring the brightness of a subject from the following three methods:
- Multi Segment: This method uses the whole screen divided into 1200 zones to measure light.
- Center Weighted: While emphasizing the central area of the screen, this method measure the average brightness of the entire screen.
- Spot: This method measure light only in the spot metering circle in the center of the frame.
White Balance: You can adjust the color tones according to the lighting conditions. You can choose from the following WB options, and adjust the +/- 3 to fine tune the colors: Auto WB, Daylight, Shade, Cloudy, Incandescent, Fluorescent (Warm White), Fluorescent (Cool White), Fluorescent (Day White), Fluorescent (Daylight), Flash, Color Temperature, Color Filter, Underwater, and Custom.
Color Temperature/Color Filter: You can adjust the white balance further by selecting Color Temperature or Color Filter in the Custom White Balance option. With Color Temperature, the higher the number, the more reddish the image, and the lower the number, the more bluish the image. Color Filter achieves the effect of Color Compensation filters for photography. Based on the set color temperature as the standard, the color can be compensated to Green (G) or Magenta (M).
ISO Settings: ISO is a unit of measurement of sensitivity to light. The larger the number, the higher the sensitivity. The camera's ISO can be set manually or automatically, depending upon the exposure mode. For still images, the sensitivity can be set to ISO 100 to 25,600, with extension to ISO 50 minimum and ISO 102,400 maximum. ISO Auto will set the sensitivity between ISO 100 and 6,400. For movies, the sensitivity is ISO 100 to 25,600 manually, or ISO 100 to 6,400 automatic.
Multi-Interface Shoe: The α7RII does not have a built-in flash, but is equipped with the Multi-Interface Shoe, allowing you to use an external flash, such as the HVL-F20M, HVL-F32M, HVL-F43M, or HVL-F60M. The ECM-XYST1M stereo microphone is also compatible.
Flash Features: When an optional external flash is attached, the camera offers several Flash Modes: Autoflash, Fill-flash, Slow Sync, Rear Sync, and Wireless. You can adjust the amount of flash light in a range of -3.0 EV to +3.0 EV with the Flash Compensation feature.
Wi-Fi Overview: The Sony α7RII has built-in Wi-Fi so you can interface the camera with your smartphone or Wi-Fi-enabled laptop computer and wirelessly perform various shooting and playback functions. The camera also supports NFC (near field communication).
PlayMemories Mobile: To interface with the Sony α7RII, your smartphone must have the PlayMemories Mobile application. The app is compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch, and requires iOS 7.0 or later. It is also compatible with Android smartphones and tablets with the Android 4.0-5.1 operating environment.
NFC (Near Field Communication): By touching an NFC-enabled Android smartphone or tablet to the "N" mark on the right side of the camera, the smartphone will be connected automatically via Wi-Fi, and the PlayMemories Mobile app will be launched. The two devices must touch for approximately 1-2 seconds to make the connection.
Wi-Fi Functions: The following wireless functions can be performed with the α7RII:
- Smart Remote: You can use a smartphone as a remote controller for the camera. Still images shot via remote control are automatically sent to the smartphone's memory. You can also change some of the camera's settings, including EV, Self-Timer, and Review Check.
- Send to Smartphone: You can transfer still images to a smartphone for viewing. Images can be transferred in its original image size, or resized to 2M or VGA. RAW images are converted to JPEG format before being transferred.
- Send to Computer: You can transfer images stored on the camera's memory card to a computer connected to a wireless access point or wireless broadband router in order to easily make backup copies.
- View on TV: Images can be viewed on a network-enabled TV.
Playback Screen: You can view your photos back as a single image on the LCD monitor, as an Index or as a Slide Show. During Index View mode, you can view 9 (3 x 3) or 25 (5 x 5) images at once.
Enlarged Display: You can enlarge an image during playback to view details of your photos. The maximum magnification depends upon the size of the original image: Large: 24.9x, Medium: 16.2x, Small: 9.4x.
Auto Review: After an image is recorded, you can have the camera automatically display it on the LCD monitor for two, five or 10 seconds. You can also turn off auto review.
Image Rotation: Vertical shots can be rotated automatically so that they are displayed upright during playback. This can be done manually or automatically.
Slide Show: You can automatically play back still images continuously in a slide show. You can set the interval to 1, 3, 5, 10, or 30 seconds.
View Mode: Recorded images are divided into folders, allowing you to view only those images in that folder. You can select from the following folders: Still, Date, MP4, AVCHD, XAVC S HD, and XAVC S 4K.
D-Range Optimizer/Auto HDR: The camera allows you to correct the brightness and contrast of an image automatically, using the D-Range Optimizer (DRO) and Auto High Dynamic Range functions. The DRO optimizes the gradations of a recorded image in each area of the image; you select the optimal level from Lv1 (weak) and Lv5 (strong). When Auto HDR is selected, the camera shoots three images with different exposures, then overlays them to create one image with the correct exposure and an overlaid image.
4K Still Image Playback: The α7RII can output images in 4K resolution to an HDMI-connected TV that supports 4K. The 4K playback function can be selected in the Playback Menu only when the camera is connected to a 4K-compatible TV via HDMI or Wi-Fi.
Protect Images: You can protect all images on your memory card or select only certain images to be protected from accidental erasure.
Printing Options: The camera offers the following printing options.
- DPOF Compatible: Using the camera, you can specify the images and the number of images to print before you print images at a photo-shop or with your printer.
- Memory Card: You can print images with a Memory Stick or SD card compliant printer.
- Computer: You can copy images to a computer using the available downloadable software and print the images.
InfoLithium Battery: The α7RII is powered by the NP-FW50 InfoLithium battery (supplied). Two NP-FW50 batteries are included with the camera. The battery communicates data to the camera, so that the percentage of battery power remaining can be displayed.
Charging: The camera comes with the BC-VW1 battery charger and the AC-UUD11 AC adapter, allowing you to charge the NP-FW50 battery outside the camera or inside. Using the battery charger, the battery is charged in approximately 4 hours 10 minutes. Charging the battery inside the camera, with the included USB cable and AC adapter, takes approximately 2 hours 30 minutes.
Battery Life: The battery life when using the LCD monitor will differ from the battery life when using the viewfinder. The estimated battery life is as follows:
|Activity||Monitor or Viewfinder||Battery Life||Number of Images|
|Shooting Still Images||Monitor||N/A||Approx. 340 images|
|Viewfinder||N/A||Approx. 290 images|
|Typical Movie Recording||Monitor||Approx. 55 min||N/A|
|Viewfinder||Approx. 50 min||N/A|
|Continuous Movie Recording||Monitor||Approx. 95 min||N/A|
|Viewfinder||Approx. 95 min||N/A|
|Viewing Still Images||Monitor||Approx. 280 min||Approx. 5600 images|
Optional Battery Grip: With the optional VG-C2EM Vertical Grip, and the second NP-FW50 battery, you can double the battery life of the camera.
Power Save: You can set different time intervals for the camera to switch to Power Save mode. You can set the interval to 10 seconds, 1 minute, 2 minutes, 5 minutes, or 30 minutes. Once the camera goes into Power Save mode, you can return to the shooting mode by pressing the shutter button halfway.
HDMI: The camera has a Micro HDMI (Type D) connector that allows 4K movie and 4K still image playback. It is also compatible with BRAVIA Sync, which allows you to control the camera with the TV remote, when connected to a BRAVIA Sync TV. No HDMI cable is included.
Digital Terminal (USB): The camera's Micro USB port lets you connect the camera to your home computer for transferring photos and movies. The digital interface is compatible with Hi-Speed USB (USB 2.0). Connecting the camera to your PC via USB also provides power to the camera to save battery life during extended use (camera on), or to charge the battery (camera off).
Microphone: A 3.5mm stereo minijack is provided for connecting a microphone.
Headphone: The 3.5mm stereo headphone jack lets you listen to audio through headphones during movie recording or playback.
Downloadable Software: The α7RII does not include software in the box. Instead, Sony offers software for Windows- and Mac-compatible computers for importing still images and movies recorded with the camera to your computer. The software is compatible with both Windows and Mac operating systems. You can download the software to your computer using the appropriate URL provided in the supplied Instruction Manual. The following downloadable software is compatible with the camera:
- PlayMemories Home: With PlayMemories Home, you can view your images, and use various convenient features to enhance the images you have shot. PlayMemories Home is required for importing AVCHD movies to your computer. Compatible with Windows 10, 8.1/8, 7 (SP1), Vista (SP2), and Mac OS X v10.8-10.10.
- Image Data Converter: Image Data Converter software is needed for playing back and editing images recorded in RAW format with various corrections, such as tone curve and sharpness. With Image Data Converter, RAW images can be adjusted with white balance, exposure, Creative Style, and converted into JPEG or TIFF formats. Compatible with Windows 10, 8.1/8, 7 (SP1), Vista (SP2), and Mac OS X v10.6-10.10.
- Remote Camera Control: Remote Camera Control can be used to control the camera from your computer. You can also change the camera's settings, perform interval timer shooting, and record images directly to the computer. Compatible with Windows 10, 8.1/8, 7 (SP1), Vista (SP2), and Mac OS X v10.8-10.11.
PlayMemories Camera Apps: The α7RII is compatible with PlayMemories Camera Apps, which enables you to add new features to the camera by downloading a new app and installing it in the camera. Apps are available to fit your shooting style, including portraits, close-up photography, sports, time lapse, angle shift add-on, etc. Many apps are available via a free download, while more advanced apps require a fee of $4.99 or $9.99.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Why did you buy this?
Dollars relative to pixels and sharpness, this is the best bargain out there. Medium format quality in a hand-held format. [ S Nov 23, 2017 ]
Great Reviews. can't wait to try it out [ A Oct 10, 2017 ]
I decided on the a7r II because it is a Full frame, hi resolution, 4K video recording beast in a small package. [ Amber Jan 11, 2017 ]
Reviews and features. [ Francis Mar 03, 2016 ]
Best camera ever!!! [ Patricia Dec 31, 2015 ]
2 questions already asked
Yes. EVF works while recording & viewing. [ Martin Jan 26, 2016 ]
yes [ DENNIS Jan 25, 2016 ]
I forwarded your question to an Advisor and they responded with the following: Currently the Square Trade warranties are as follows. A 2-year plan with Accidental Damage coverage is $439.99 while a 3-year plan with Accident Damage coverage is $569.99. Prices are subject to change. If you would like to discuss further you can contact an Advisor directly by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat. [ Krissy Oct 14, 2015 ] Staff
Frequently Compared With
Sony Alpha a7R II (no lens included)
Full-frame 42-megapixel mirrorless camera with Wi-Fi®
Sony a6500 (no lens included)
24.2-megapixel APS-C sensor mirrorless camera with Wi-Fi®
Sony Alpha a7 III (no lens included)
Full-frame 24.2-megapixel mirrorless camera with Wi-Fi® and Bluetooth®
Sony Alpha a7R III (no lens included)
Full-frame 42-megapixel mirrorless camera with Wi-Fi® and Bluetooth®