PreSonus AudioBox™ iTwo
USB 2.0 and iPad® recording interface
Our take on the PreSonus AudioBox™ iTwo by Crutchfield's David Brown
Start a song on your iPad, finish it on your PC
You're casually strumming your guitar in front of the TV one night. Suddenly, you hit on something that strikes you like a bolt of lightning. It's that magical creative spark that you can't call on — it comes when it comes. Grab your iPad, connect it to the PreSonus AudioBox iTwo, and record that moment of inspiration while it's still fresh. If you record using the free Capture™ Duo app from PreSonus, there's a unique benefit: you can send your recording wirelessly to PreSonus's Studio One Artist software on your computer for further tracking and mixing. The software comes with the AudioBox iTwo, so you can make polished-sounding recordings, whether they're born on an iPad or your computer. Capture Duo for iPad offers two-track recording. Upgrade to Capture ($9.99 from the app store) to record up to 32 tracks on your iPad.
A fully featured interface
Just because it works with your iPad, doesn't mean this interface is light on connectivity or features. There are two combination XLR/TRS inputs. Plug in microphones, line-level instruments like keyboards, or electric guitars and basses using the "instrument" button. High-quality PreSonus mic preamps ensure low-noise recordings with your microphones. You can also connect MIDI controllers to the five-pin input/output on the rear panel. Plug your favorite 'phones into the headphone jack, or connect your studio monitors to the TRS outputs. Dial in the perfect monitor mix of direct analog inputs and computer-returned digital signals, to combat latency while hearing effects from your digital audio workstation.
Tough enough to take with you
Like all PreSonus interfaces, the AudioBox iTwo is ruggedly built with an all-metal chassis. Its compact form fits beautifully in a desktop setup or a portable rig for taking to a friend's house for jamming or composing. Take advantage of its versatility, and use it for both.
- 2-input, 2-output recording interface for iPad, Mac®, and PC
- Class A mic preamplifiers with phantom power for use with condenser microphones
- internal analog mixer allows direct monitoring of input signals for low latency
- free Capture Duo app for iPad offers easy two-track recording and wireless transfer to your computer
- Capture for iPad offers up to 32-track recording ($9.99 from the Apple app store)
- includes Studio One Artist digital recording software for Mac/PC plus 6GB of third-party samples
- powered by your computer via USB; iPad recording requires 30-pin or Lightning™ cable, and USB AC adapter (not included)
- 2 XLR/TRS switchable mic/line/instrument inputs for use with microphones, electric guitars and basses, keyboards, and drum machines
- two balanced TRS line outputs for connecting powered studio monitors
- MIDI input/output (5-pin) for use with an external MIDI controller
- 1/4" headphone output with independent level control
- USB 2.0 port for connection to a computer
- "Device" output for connection to an iPad
- 24-bit analog-to-digital/digital-to-analog conversion with sampling rates of 44.1/48/88.2/96kHz (44.1 and 48kHz with iPad)
- "mix" fader lets you select from low-latency direct monitoring of analog input signals or returning digital signals from recording software
- LED lights indicate when a signal is present and when clipping occurs
- rugged metal chassis
- system requirements for computer recording: Windows 7 (x64/x86 SP1), Windows 8 (x64/x86), or Mac OS X 10.7.5 or later; USB 2.0 port; Internet connection for software download; monitor with 1280x800 resolution; 7200 RPM storage drive highly recommended
- system requirements for iPad recording: iPad 2, iPad (3rd Generation), iPad (4th generation), iPad mini™, or iPad Air™ with iOS 7.0.1 or higher
- 7-9/16"W x 1-3/4"H x 5-5/16"D
- weight: 1.35 lbs.
- warranty: 1 year
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- AudioBox iTwo USB/iPad recording system
- 5' USB cable (Type A USB on one end and Type B USB on other end)
- Hookup Guide
- Health Safety and Compliance Guide
- Online Registration sheet
My purchase experience of the PreSonus AudioBox iTwo USB 2.0 recording interface from Crutchfield was All positive. Not only the initial purchase but the follow-up advice from your tech support team. I Highly recommend Crutchfield.
Robert D., Arizona
PreSonus AudioBox™ iTwo Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Overview: The PreSonus AudioBox iTwo portable audio interface allows you to record 24-bit/96kHz audio to an Apple iPad, PC or Mac. The iTwo features two high quality inputs and two outputs, plus a 1/4" headphone out with volume control. You will be able to download PreSonus' easy-to-use Studio One Artist DAW for Mac and Windows, as well as Capture Duo recording software for iPad (with product registration).
USB Bus Power: The AudioBox iTwo is USB bus-powered, meaning no external power supply is necessary. A USB 2.0/Power Port connects the iTwo to an available USB port on your computer via the supplied USB cable.
Front Panel: The front panel of the AudioBox iTwo features the following:
- Two combo microphone/instrument/line inputs that will accept either a 1/4" TRS or XLR plug. These inputs are equipped with low-noise, high-head-room, Class A microphone preamplifiers, which work with dynamic, ribbon, and condenser microphones.
- The Input Source Button on each channel that lets you select instrument or line level for the 1/4-inch inputs. When the button is not illuminated, the input will accept a line-level source. Pressing the button in engages the instrument preamp for connecting guitars or a passive bass.
- The 48-volt Phantom Power button turns the 48V phantom power on or off for the microphone inputs. The button illuminates blue whenever the 48V button is switched on.
- The Input Gain Controls for each channel provide 52dB of variable gain (-10 to +42 dB) on the microphone inputs and 51 dB of variable gain (-24 to +27 dB) on the instrument inputs. Each channel features an Input Signal Indicator LED next to the gain control that illuminates in green whenever an input signal is present. The LEDs change to red when the channel's input signal reaches -0.5 dBFS. At 0 dBFS, the signal will exhibit signs of clipping.
- The Direct Monitor Mix Control knob allows you to blend the input signals with the playback streams from your computer. This allows you to monitor your input with zero latency. At the 12 o'clock position, the input and playback are equally balanced. You can turn the knob to the left to increase the level of the input relative to the playback, or right to increase the level of the playback relative to the input.
- The Main Output Knob controls the signal level for the main outputs on the back of the interface.
- The 1/4" Headphone Output lets you connect a pair of headphones to the interface. The output has a rotary headphone volume control knob to let you adjust the level of your headphones.
- The Power LED illuminates in blue when the interface is properly powered and synced to a connection on your computer or iPad
Rear Panel: The rear panel of the AudioBox iTwo features the following:
- The MIDI Input/Output allows connection to, and communication with, external MIDI (Musical Instrument Digital Interface) equipment. The ports are typically for MIDI sequencing, but can be used for much more than instruments and sequencing.
- The USB 2.0 (Type B USB) port is for connecting the interface to your computer using the included USB cable. This port provides bus power to the unit, and also provides power to the interface when used with an iPad. This port is compatible with all USB 2.0 and 3.0 ports.
- A Type A USB Device Port lets you use an Apple-compatible 30-pin or Lightning-to-USB cable to connect the AudioBox to an iPad when recording and playing back from audio applications.
- Two 1/4" Main Outputs are provided for connecting the unit to an amplifier or powered speakers. The Main Output Knob on the front panel controls the volume level from these outputs.
- A connector is supplied for a Kensington-style Security Lock to protect the AudioBox iTwo from theft.
Studio One Artist: With the purchase of the AudioBox iTwo, the PreSonus Studio One Artist recording software becomes available for downloading. Studio One Artist comes with 20 high-quality Native Effects plug-ins, and more than 6 GB of loops and samples that you can use for music recording and production. The software gives you an unlimited track count, inserts, and sends, as well as project templates that are made specifically for AudioBox interfaces. Studio One Artist is compatible with Windows (7 SP1 and 8 or later) and Mac OS X (10.8 or later).
iPad Compatibility: The AudioBox iTwo is compatible with the following iPad models, that must be running iOS 7.03 or later: iPad Air, iPad mini with Retina display, iPad (4th generation), iPad mini, iPad (3rd generation), and iPad 2. Capture Duo software, available for download, is a free 2-channel app that can be used as a simple way of capturing audio on your iPad. Capture for iPad is a paid app ($9.99) that can record and play up to 32 channels.
- Frequency Response (± 3dB): 10 Hz to 40 kHz
- Input Impedance (Balanced): 1,200 ohms
- THD+N (unweighted, 1 kHz): <0.008%
- S/N Ratio: >95 dB
- Digital Audio:
- Bit Depth: 24
- Internal Sample Frequency Selections: 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96 kHz
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.