Sonus Faber Venere 2.5
Floor-standing speaker (Black)
Sonus Faber Venere 2.5 - The tempered glass base, adjustable cone feet, and dual binding post connectors all add to the Venere 2.5's performance.
Our take on the Sonus Faber Venere 2.5 by Crutchfield's Dave Bar
The Venere 2.5 tower shown in white.
Finely tuned sound inspired by antiquity
Trickle-down technology can be a wonderful thing, especially when that technology comes from Sonus faber. Long known for both the sonic and visual beauty of their speakers — including many world-class, cost-no-object models — Sonus has imparted much of that speaker-building know-how into the Venere 2.5 tower (at a decidedly more real-world price). That means even us regular folks can benefit from all that high-end experience without totally breaking the bank.
This sleek, solidly built floor-standing speaker also takes many design cues from the lyre, a string instrument, to deliver exceptionally accurate and natural sound. By combining the curving, fluid shape of that ancient acoustic instrument with state-of-the-art technology and careful tuning by ear, Sonus faber has created a speaker that vividly brings all your home entertainment to life — whether you're using a single pair for stereo music, or creating a complete surround sound system. The Venere 2.5 is ideal for use in medium- to large-sized rooms.
Better cabinet construction improves performance
Cabinet vibration, or resonance, can add coloration and distortion to music and vocals. To mask resonance, many speaker manufacturers heavily damp their cabinets. While effective, over-damping can also thicken and dull the sound of your music. Instead of taking a sledgehammer approach to killing vibration, Sonus faber carefully shapes and tunes its cabinets to work in synergy with the drivers. Using curved, non-parallel internal surfaces to control enclosure resonance, this speaker is able to reproduce sound that is clean, lively, and dynamic.
Beyond just looking pretty, the Venere 2.5's unique cabinet offers other benefits, as well. Its curved, sloping front baffle aligns the woofer and tweeter to provide a better sonic transition between drivers, and ensure that low- and high-frequency sounds reach your ears at the same time, for greater clarity. The front-firing port and narrowly tapering rear of the cabinet help reduce interaction between the speaker and the wall, making placement easier and less critical. And Sonus faber utilizes a tempered-glass top-panel to eliminate high-frequency vibration which can lead to distortion, harshness, and listening fatigue. All of these advanced cabinet building techniques and materials result in speakers with impressive transparency and a deep, expansive soundstage.
- frequency response: 40-25,000 Hz
- sensitivity: 89 dB
- nominal impedance: 6 ohms
- recommended amplifier power: 40-250 watts
- 1-1/8" silk soft dome tweeter for smooth, detailed high-frequency response
- 7" thermo-molded polypropylene textile Curv cone mid-woofer to enhance stiffness and reduce mass for greater speed and accuracy
- 7" thermo-molded polypropylene textile Curv cone woofer
- curved cabinets for increased rigidity and reduced internal standing waves
- bass-reflex (ported) cabinet design
- high-quality crossovers for greater accuracy
- dual heavy-duty binding post speaker terminals with bi-amp/bi-wire capability
- 13-7/16"W x 43-5/8"H x 17-1/4"D
- weight: 43 lbs.
- warranty: 5 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- Floorstanding loudspeaker
- 2 large foot-tips
- 2 Small foot-tips
- 4 Discs
- 4 Screws
- Owner's Manual
Excellent sound and unique beautiful modern appearance. That is what I wanted in my living room to coordinate with my decor. Something different than a black box. Very securely packed as a box in a box by Sonus Faber.
Anonymous, Queen Creek, AZ
Sonus Faber Venere 2.5 Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|Tweeter Size (inches)||1|
|Midrange Size (inches)||7|
|Woofer Size (inches)||7|
|Woofer Composition||Polypropylene composite|
|Built-in Powered Sub||No|
|Parts Warranty||5 Years|
|Labor Warranty||5 Years|
|Frequency Response||40-25k Hz|
|Subwoofer Amp Power||---|
2.5-Way Speaker Design: The Sonus faber Venere 2.5 floorstanding loudspeaker utilizes a 2.5-way design with custom-built drivers by the best international manufacturers for natural, well-balanced, non-fatiguing sound. Each driver is built exclusively to Sonus faber's own specific design and specifications using special software and then perfected and reviewed by ear.
- Tweeter: The Venere 2.5 features one Sonus faber designed 1" pre-coated fabric, silk dome tweeter with no ferrofluid created by DKM (German based company).
- Mid-Woofer: The Venere 2.5 loudspeaker features a single Sonus faber designed 7" polypropylene composite, textured Curve cone mid-woofer with a rubber surround and a free compression basket design for ultra dynamic performance and linearity; manufactured by Germany-based Propex.
- Woofer: The Venere 2.5 loudspeaker features a single Sonus faber designed 7" polypropylene composite, textured Curve cone bass woofer with a rubber surround and a free compression basket design for ultra dynamic performance and linearity; manufactured by Germany-based Propex.
Crossover Network: The 2.5-way floorstanding loudspeaker employs a precision crossover network (250Hz/2,000Hz) using high-quality components to ensure an even frequency response and smooth transition over the entire audible range of all drivers for a well-balanced, natural sound.
Cabinet Design: The Venere 2.5 floorstanding speaker feature a CNC (Computer Numerical Controlled) gloss-lacquer-coated MDF cabinet that is rigid and beautiful. Unlike other speaker manufactures that want to mask the sound of the cabinet, Sonus faber designs it speaker cabinets so they work in synergy with the drivers and perfectly complement one another for a perfect sound.
- Lyre Inspired: The speaker cabinet's shape is inspired by the Lyre string instrument to ensure the absence of parallel internal surfaces to control air movement inside the cabinet and create sound that is dynamic, clean, rich in detail, and natural. The Lyre inspired cabinet guarantees exceptional control of internal resonance, perfect acoustics, excellent driver stability, and room-friendly placement.
- Sloped Front Baffle: The sloping front baffle, featuring curved lines, allows for perfect timing and effective transition between the drivers, always ensuring an excellent listening experience.
- Tempered-Glass Top: The speaker cabinet features a tempered-glass top-panel which is used to eliminate high frequency vibration which can lead to distortion, harshness, and listening fatigue.
- Front-Firing Port: The Venere 2.5 floorstanding speaker uses a front-firing slot port to aid in delivering exciting, impactful bass response that is accurate and not "boomy".
Colors & Finishes: The Sonus faber Venere 2.5 floorstanding loudspeaker is available in a gloss black or gloss white lacquer finish, or a walnut wood veneer finish.
Dual Heavy-Duty Binding Posts: On the back panel of Sonus faber Venere 2.5 floorstanding loudspeakers are dual heavy duty binding post terminals that allow you to bi-wire or bi-amp the speaker. These binding post terminals will accept large diameter wire (up to 10AWG), banana plugs (single only), and spade lugs.
- Bi-Wiring: Bi-wiring can provide noticeable improvements in the overall transparency of your loudspeakers. Run separate speaker wires to the low & high frequency drivers from a single amplifier (the upper set of binding posts are for the high frequency drivers; the lower set of binding posts are for the low frequency drivers).
- Bi-Amping: Bi-amping allows you to use separate amplifiers for the high & low frequency sections of your loudspeaker for greater dynamic range & lower distortion. We recommend that your separate amplifiers have identical gain to preserve the speaker's voicing balance.
Tempered-Glass Plinth w/ Adjustable Feet: The Venere 2.5 floorstanding speaker includes a tempered-glass plinth (or base) and four "tiptoe" feet which must be installed. The tempered-glass plinth screws into the bottom of the floorstanding speaker using the included hardware. The four "tiptoes" then screw into the tempered-glass plinth. The "tiptoe" feet are adjustable to allow proper alignment with your floor and to allow you to adjust the slope of the front baffle even more. Together, the tempered-glass plinth and "tiptoe" feet anchor the speaker to your floor (four discs are included to rest beneath the "tiptoe" feet to protect your hardwood, laminate, or tile floors).
Applications: This 2.5-way floorstanding loudspeaker, like all members of the Venere family, is easy to use and suitable for placement in a variety of 2-channel stereo, multi-channel or home theatre environments.
Placement: Loudspeaker placement in a room can greatly affect performance. Placement near a wall, corner, or any intersecting surfaces will reinforce or diminish some bass frequencies. Try various locations by listening to music containing continuous bass and finding a location where there is an over all musical balance in the sound and the bass content does not dominate.
- Sonus faber recommends starting with placing the speakers at least 1' from the back wall and then pull out one speaker until the bass is evident, but not "boomy" from the speaker being too close to the wall or "thin" from it being too far from the wall. Then begin to pull out the other speaker until the bass sounds even from the main listening position (the speakers don't necessarily have to be the same distance from the wall).
- Once you have determined the distance from the back wall, its time to determine the distance between of each speaker on either side o the main listening position. Start at equal distance on either side of the listening position and then move the speakers inward and outward until you hear and feel that the singer's vocal are coming directly in front of you with instruments playing on either side of you. If the speakers are too close together, you'll get a "squashed" sound and if they are too far apart, you'll get more of an "echo" sound.
- Now, you'll want to "toe-in" the speaker toward the main listening position. By turning the speakers in toward the main listening area, you'll prevent too much reflection from outer walls and deliver more sound information to the listener. "Toe-in" the speaker only a little bit for a wider sound stage; the more you "toe-in" the speaker, the narrower the "sweet-spot" will get.
- Finally, use the loudspeaker's adjustable feet to adjust the "Rake" angle of the speaker. The Venere series loudspeakers' front-baffle is already slightly angled and may not need adjusting. By increasing the "Rake" angle, you'll elevate the sound of the main listening area for a more open sound and feel.
Break-In Period: Sonus faber recommends 100 to 250 hours of break-in to get the most of their Venere series of loudspeakers. You may have to reconfigure the placement of the speakers after break-in period.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Why did you buy this?
Excellent reviews online. Unique appearance in my living room, not just another black rectangular speaker box. [ L Jul 29, 2017 ]
1 question already asked
1 answer I am having a custom built cabinet to house my 85 inch TV and have adequate cabinet size to house speakers as large as the Sonus Faber Venere 2.5. I realize that these are floor standing speakers. What is the downside to placing these in a cabinet with open front (no doors, grills, etc.)? The room is very large 25 by 25 with a 26 foot cathedral ceiling and open to several adjoining good sized rooms. I am planning on using a good sized central channel speaker also. I don't think bookshelf speakers will cut it. I realize that a speaker ported in the rear would be inappropriate. Recommendations would be appreciated. Also, speakers must be white! [ Ron Dec 26, 2016 ]
Thanks for your question. Due to the detailed nature of your question I would recommend reaching out to an Advisor by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat. They should be able to help answer your question. [ Kenny Dec 28, 2016 ] Staff