Nest Cam IQ Outdoor Security Camera
Wireless outdoor security camera
Our take on the Nest Cam IQ Outdoor Security Camera by Crutchfield's Eric Angevine
The Nest Cam IQ Outdoor camera lets you check in at home via a free app on your smartphone.
Keep a sharp eye on your home or business
The Nest Cam IQ Indoor makes it easy to keep an eye on our homes and the loved ones within. The Nest Cam IQ Outdoor is weatherproof, so we get a clear picture of what's going on outside as well. Its 8-megapixel image sensor with HDR (high dynamic range) and 12X pinch-to-zoom capability let you zero in on the details you need to see. An array of infrared LED lights even lets you see in the dark.
After you plug in the camera and launch the Nest app on your phone, you'll be streaming live video and receiving alerts in moments. The Nest Cam IQ is your eyes, ears and even your voice when you're away from home — each camera has a microphone and speaker built in, so you can verbally check in with kids, elderly parents or pets while you're at work. It can even recognize faces.
Note: The Nest Cam IQ Outdoor uses the included USB cord for power, but communicates with your device wirelessly.
Subscription-based cloud storage
The camera streams live video 24/7, but you'll likely want to save clips for later review. Nest Aware offers subscription-based cloud storage packages that automatically archive a 5-day history ($5 per month or $50/year), 10-day history ($10/month or $100/year) or a 30-day history ($30/month or $300/year). Nest Aware also offers advanced services like person alerts, alert history, personalized alerts for different zones, and an ability to create time lapse videos to show changes throughout the day.
Part of your whole-home Nest system
The Nest Cam IQ Outdoor is compatible with other Nest home automation devices:
Your Nest devices work together to give you more control over home security. If your smoke detector sends you an alert while you're at work, you can turn on your Nest camera and assess the situation instantly, then use the camera's microphone and speakers to warn anyone who might be home. Even better, if your Nest Protect senses rising levels of carbon monoxide, your Nest Thermostat can automatically turn off your connected gas furnace.
- wireless outdoor security camera is easy to install and sync with other Nest devices
- compatible with:
- get live-view footage from anywhere using your smartphone, tablet or laptop
- 130° field of view
- 1080p resolution (1920 x 1080 pixels) @ 30 fps
- powerful infrared LED lights for night vision
- see everything clearly with 8-megapixel imaging sensor and HDR (high dynamic range)
- 12X pinch-to-zoom feature lets you focus on a specific part of a room using the touchscreen on your smartphone or tablet
- automatically zoom in and track intruders
- built-in dual-band Wi-Fi® for reliable network connections
- get emails or push notifications instantly when motion and sound are detected
- person alerts let you know when someone enters the room
- built-in mic and speaker allow two-way communication
- camera switches to night vision mode automatically when a room gets dark
- note: uses included 25-foot USB cord for power, but communicates with your device wirelessly
- set the camera to turn on and off based on time of day or your location
- save and share footage with optional Nest Aware service (requires a monthly or yearly fee)
- continuously record up to 30 days of video in the cloud
- 128-bit encryption happens inside the camera to provide security even on unsecured Wi-Fi networks
- free 3-hour snapshot history in the Nest app, so you can check and see if you missed anything
- two-step authentication makes your Nest devices more secure
Dimensions and Warranty:
- 5"L x 3.7"W x 3.7"H
- weight: 1.25 lbs.
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- Nest Cam IQ Outdoor camera on base
- Wall plate (attached)
- Indoor AC power adapter (with USB-C port)
- 25' Outdoor power cable (USB-C plugs on each end)
- Power cable strap (installed on cable)
- 12 Self-tapping screws (length=1")
- 12 Plastic wall anchors
- 8 Cable clips
- Installation Guide
Tested Ring Indoor / outdoor cameras, Canary Indoor cameras and Nest Indoor / outdoor cameras. Nest Cam IQ Outdoor Camera stays connected to the WiFi signal thru our D-Lock Log Home walls with best resolution picture quality with sound.
Anonymous, Lake Lure, NC
Nest Cam IQ Outdoor Security Camera Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Overview: Nest Cam IQ Outdoor is a small, outdoor camera that can help you keep an eye on your home or office. This IP66-rated weatherproof security camera can stream live 1080p Full HD video to your computer via Wi-Fi, or to an iPhone, iPad, or Android device via Bluetooth 4.0. Two-way audio lets you hear what's going on, and allows you to talk to persons through the camera. It works as a standalone home surveillance camera, or in conjunction with the Nest Cam Indoor, Nest Protect Smoke and CO alarm, and the Nest Thermostat. The Nest Cam IQ Outdoor comes with a 25' power cable, cable clips, and a secure wall mount with hardware. Camera dimensions: Diameter 3-13/16", Camera Depth 4", Camera with base 4-7/8", Weight (with base) 22.6 ounces.
High Definition Video: Nest Cam IQ Outdoor has an all-glass lens to give you the best image possible. It has a wide 130° angle of view, so you can see the entire area around your doors or windows. The camera is equipped with an 8-megapixel 4K color image sensor (1/2.5") to give you incredible detail day or night. Daytime HDR (high dynamic range) combines multiple 4K images to give you great images in the shadows, even on a bright day. In the Nest app, you can use the 12x digital zoom to get a closer look. The Enhance feature delivers extra-crisp details in places where you need it. If the Nest Cam IQ Outdoor sees a person, special algorithms automatically zoom in and follow their movements in the app (Tracking View).
Installing: Nest Cam IQ Outdoor mounts to a 2-3/4" diameter wall mount. The camera has an adjustable base, which allows you to position the camera at virtually any angle. It is recommended that the camera is mounted between 7' and 10' above the ground or floor, tilted downward. It should be close enough to see a person's face and to communicate with them through the camera. Nest Cam IQ Outdoor requires AC power from a nearby indoor power outlet. You may have to drill through your home's exterior wall to reach an indoor outlet. The camera streams audio and video via Wi-Fi (802.11 b/g/n/ac 2.4GHz, 5GHz), and should be mounted within range of your router. The included wall plate attaches to the exterior of your home via 4 screws (supplied). The camera base fits into the wall plate and twist-locks into place. A set screw (with included hex key) in the camera base secures the camera to the wall plate to prevent tampering.
Activity Alerts: Nest Cam IQ Outdoor can detect and alert you to either motion in your video or sound picked up by the microphone on the camera. When activity is detected, or if Nest Cam IQ is offline, an alert is sent to your mobile device (through the Nest App), or to your Nest Cam account.
Nest App: You can view streaming video from your Nest Cam IQ Outdoor on your iPhone, iPad, or Android device through the free Nest App. The app is compatible with the following:
- iPhone, iPad, iPod touch: running iOS 9.0 or later
- Apple Watch: watchOS 2.0 or later and iOS 9.0 or later
- Apple TV: 4th gen or later with tvOS 10.0 or later
- Android devices: 4.1 and up
- Android Wear: 5.1.1 or later and Android 4.3 or later
- Android TV: 5.0 or later
- Browser: latest version of Safari, Chrome, Firefox, or Internet Explorer
- Windows: Windows 7 or later
- Mac: OS X 10.9 or later
Nest Aware: Nest Cam IQ Outdoor lets you view live streaming on your computer or mobile device. You can check in anytime to see what's happening, and see photos of activity from the last three hours. The optional Nest Aware service with Video History lets you save the past 5, 10, or 30 days of video footage in the cloud for review at any time. The service can create a time lapse of an event, or of an entire day, that you can watch in 60 seconds. You can make and save clips to share with friends or family. Custom activity zones can be created to keep an eye on specific areas in your home. If your Nest Cam IQ Outdoor detects a dog barking, spots an unknown person, or detects a familiar face, you will get an intelligent alert on your devices. As of March 2018, Nest Aware rates are $5/month or $50/year for 5 days of video history, $10/month or $100/year for 10 days, or $30/month or $300/year for 30 days.
Works With Nest: When Nest Cam IQ Outdoor is added to a home network that includes Nest products, additional features are available. If the Nest Protect Smoke and CO Detector sounds an Emergency Alarm, all of the Nest Cams will turn on and start recording video automatically. The recording will continue for 1 hour, or until the Nest Protect senses that the smoke or carbon monoxide has subsided. When paired with a Nest Thermostat, the Nest Cam IQs in your home can be set to automatically turn on when you switch to the Away setting on the Thermostat. When you return, and manually set the Thermostat to the Home setting, the Nest Cams will automatically turn off. This feature does not work with Nest Thermostat's Auto-Away feature.
Camera Settings: Using the Nest App or your Nest Cam Account, you can change the following settings:
- Camera On/Off: lets you turn the camera video streaming on or off
- Status Light: turns the status light on or off
- HD Video: turns HD video on or off (to save bandwidth)
- Night Vision: activates ring of IR LEDs used for night vision. You can set to Auto, or manual on/off
- Rotate Image: rotates the video 180° in case you have to invert and mount on the ceiling
- Audio: turns the camera's microphone on or off
- Microphone Sensitivity: if microphone is on, this slide control adjusts the mic's sensitivity
- Camera Scheduling: allows you to set daily schedules for your camera to be on or off
- Location Schedule: For iOS only, this setting allows you to turn the camera on or off using the location of your iPhone.
- Nest Cam CVR: lets you see your current CVR (cloud video recording) subscription
- Detect Motion Events: allows you to enable or disable the camera to detect motion events
- Detect Sound Events: allows you to enable or disable the camera to detect sound events
- Wi-Fi Network: indicated which Wi-Fi network your camera is connected to.
- Deactivate The Camera: If you want to use the camera in a different Nest Cam account, sell or give away the camera, you must first deactivate it.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Why did you buy this?
Needed a plug in camera that has easy to review video history [ Martyn Jun 23, 2018 ]
Wireless, 1080 dp, and intelligent scan [ Ronald May 28, 2018 ]
I already have a Nest indoor camera. Nest Aware is 1/2 price on an additional camera. [ William May 25, 2018 ]
I chose this model for the higher resolution zooming capability... i have nest cam outdoor right now and am upgrading to have better resolution of my driveway and street. [ Tyler Mar 02, 2018 ]
Best product available [ Jolly Feb 24, 2018 ]