Wireless powered speaker with Bluetooth® and Wi-Fi® (Black)
Our take on the RIVA ARENA by Crutchfield's Ralph Graves
High-quality sound from virtually any source
The RIVA ARENA is one versatile high-performance wireless speaker. It features built-in Bluetooth, plus several kinds of Wi-Fi streaming, including Spotify® Connect, Apple® AirPlay®, and DLNA. And it works with other WAND-series RIVA speakers for easy-to-set-up wireless multi-room audio.
Simple app control
Download the free RIVA WAND control app from either the Apple App Store or Google Play to start. The app lets you set up a multi-room audio system with other RIVA WAND wireless speakers, like the ARENA or FESTIVAL, via Chromecast built-in. Have all speakers play the same song, or have each speaker play from a different source.
The ARENA is compatible with the Google Home voice controller (not included) for even more convenience. It can respond to natural commands, like "OK Google, play classic rock in the living room."
The ARENA creates a spacious, enveloping soundstage with a unique speaker array. Three full-range custom ADX™ drivers are each paired with a passive radiator to create clean, detailed sound with strong bass. Each ARENA speaker delivers stereophonic sound, ensuring your music will sound clear and balanced no matter where you stand in the room.
It's okay to enjoy your ARENA out on the deck. The speaker is splash-resistant, with a removable protective seal for the input and output connections. The RIVA optional battery pack (available separately) turns the ARENA into a portable speaker you can place anywhere.
The built-in USB port lets you play music from thumb drives, and serves as a charger for your smartphone or tablet.
Roon-compatible for serious music lovers
The ARENA is also compatible with Roon, a subscription digital music player you download to your smartphone, tablet, or computer. It gives you multi-room audio playback for all your Chromecast-compatible devices and more. Roon accesses your digital music collection from your iTunes library or NAS drive. It also works with your TIDAL subscription. Roon lets you do deep dives into your music, showing artist bios, photos, reviews, and lyrics. Roon can also suggest other artists and songs based on your selections, making it easy to discover new music you'll enjoy.
- wireless connectivity:
- built-in Bluetooth for streaming music from your smartphone or tablet
- built-in Wi-Fi for easy connection to your network and the internet
- Chromecast built-in for creating a multi-room audio setup with other RIVA WAND wireless speakers
- Apple® AirPlay® for streaming from an iPhone® and iPad®
- DLNA for streaming from Android™ smartphone, tablets, and compatible PCs
- plays MP3, ALAC, APE, FLAC, FLAC HD, WMA streaming, RTSP, and PCM/WAV files
- plays high-resolution audio files up to 24-bit/192kHz
- 3 ADX drivers with 3 passive radiators
- maximum power: 50 watts
- top-mounted control buttons
- RIVA WAND App
- free download from Apple App Store and Google Play
- control volume and equalization settings from smartphone or tablet
- control multi-room playback for two or more RIVA WAND wireless speakers
- compatible with Google Home voice controller (not included)
- gives you voice control over music selection and volume
- splash-resistant design with removable seal for connection panel
- 3.5mm analog stereo minijack auxiliary input for portable devices
- USB Type A port for audio playback from thumb drives and other devices
- also charges smartphones and tablets
- AC power (power adapter included)
- optional battery pack (not included) provides up to 20 hours of operation
- 5"W x 7-1/8"H x 6-3/8"D
- weight: 3 lbs.
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- Wireless network audio speaker
- 6' AC power cord
- Quick Start Guide
- "Chromecast built-in" note
- Safety Guidelines
- Spotify brochure
RIVA ARENA Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
ADX Trillium Audio Technology: The Riva Arena utilizes patented ADX Trillium audio technology that produces stereophonic sound from a single speaker. ADX Trillium up-mixes the left & right stereo signal and outputs it through three channels of amplification, three active drivers, and three passive radiators to create a stereophonic image with a wide listening area much larger than the actual speaker size.
Multiple Driver Array: The Riva Arena is equipped with three unique active drivers and three passive radiators. The three active drivers, positioned left, center and right, mix in-air to create virtual left and right speakers outside the enclosure. The three passive radiators use a symmetrical arrangement to balance the vibrational forces, converting more of the passive radiators' energy into sound with more low-end bass.
- 3 Active Drivers: Riva's active drivers are high-output, wide bandwidth, compact speakers that deliver a much broader range of the musical spectrum without colorization or distortion.
- 3 Passive Radiators: Riva's proprietary passive radiators are designed with dedicated dual suspensions and custom bobbins and frames to support the highly impressive low-frequency performance.
3-Channel/50W Total Amplification: Patented 3-channel amplification technology with a total of 50W and advanced digital signal processing maximizes audio performance and produces full-range, room-filling sound that you would not expect from an compact active speaker.
- Studio Mode (default): Stereo audio is played back from one speaker with zero compression and no acoustic distortion.
- Power Mode: Maximizes output for large areas and outdoors.
- Stereo Mode: Allows you to pair two Riva Arena speakers together for true stereo sound with one speaker configured as the left channel and the other speaker configured as the right channel.
Multiroom Audio: The Riva Arena offers multiple connectivity options, from a single direct connection to a wireless networked multiroom audio system that can simultaneously stream to up to 32 speakers without acoustic latency. A Multiroom audio system can be setup via Chromecast Built-in and the Google Home App (for Apple iOS 8.0+ and Android OS 4.0.3+) or using the Riva Wand app (Apple iOS 8.0+ or Android OS 4.4+).
- Chromecast Built-In/Google Home: You can create a multiroom audio system by syncing multiple Chromecast compatible speakers together and play the same Chromecast Built-in music app throughout your home.
- Riva Wand App: You can create a multiroom audio system by syncing multiple Riva Wand Series speakers together and stream different music apps and connected sources to throughout your home.
Built-In WiFi: The Riva Arena is equipped with dual-band (2.4/5GHz) WiFi (802.11 b/g/n) for wireless connectivity to your home's WiFi network router. Once you are connected via WiFi, you can access a variety of local and online music sources - like Chromecast Built-in, AirPlay, Spotify Connect, & DLNA audio files.
Note: There is no Ethernet (RJ-45) jack for a wired connection to your home network's router.
Supported Music Files: The Riva Arena is high-resolution compatible, playing music files up to 24-bit/192kHz resolutions. Audio Codecs supported include - FLAC, PCM/WAV, ALAC, MP3, and WMA.
Chromecast Built-In: Chromecast Built-in lets you instantly stream select music apps from your Apple iOS or Android mobile device to the Riva Arena speaker system. Chromecast Built-in offers Internet Radio apps like TuneIn & iHeart Radio; plus online music service apps like Pandora, Spotify (requires Premium subscription), Tidal, Google Play Music, and more. You can even mirror exactly what's playing on your Android phone or tablet to the Riva Arena speaker. Or, if you're on your laptop or computer, you can also cast any music streaming website through the Chrome browser.
- Google Home App: Multiple Chromecast Built-in speakers can be added to the same WiFi network to form a multiroom audio system using the Google Home app. Using the Google Home app for Apple iOS 8.0+ and Android OS 4.0.3+, you can sync multiple speakers with Chromecast Built-in in multiple rooms of your home to play the same song throughout your house at the same time. Only Chromecast Built-in compatible music apps are supported.
- Voice Control (Optional): Purchase the Google Home Wireless Speaker (8064658762, sold separately) and gain voice control of compatible Chromecast Built-in music apps. You'll be able to access a specific music app and then select a specific station or song using only your voice. You'll also have voice control over Play, Pause, Skip, & Volume. The Riva Arena & the Google Home Speaker must be connected to the same wireless (WiFi) network.
Spotify Connect: The integration of Spotify Connect will enable Spotify Premium users to instantly see, select, and stream audio to the Riva Arena wireless speaker from within the Spotify app (Apple iOS or Android).
AirPlay Compatible: AirPlay lets you wirelessly stream music directly from your Apple iOS device (running iOS 4.3.3+) or from your iTunes library on your Windows (XP-up) or Mac computer (running iTunes 10.2.2+) to the Riva Arena speaker system, over your home's WiFi network. By downloading Apple' free Remote App onto your iPod touch, iPhone, or iPad you don't even need to be in the same room as the speaker or your computer to play, pause, skip, and stop the songs in your iTunes music library.
DLNA Compliant: The Riva Arena speaker system is DLNA certified. By connecting the Riva Arena to your home's network, you can wirelessly listen to music stored on your Windows PC or a DLNA compatible media server.
Bluetooth Audio Streaming: Thanks to built-in Bluetooth with support for A2DP and AVRCP, you can wirelessly stream stored music and music apps on your Bluetooth source device (such as a smartphone, tablet, laptop, or computer) to the Riva Arena speaker system. You can also control Play/Pause & Previous/Next Track functions of your Bluetooth music source from the top-panel. You can pair up to eight Bluetooth source devices, but only one device can be connected for playback at a time. Once a device has already been paired, the Riva Arena will automatically re-connect with it when it comes within wireless range (up to 33').
Note: The Riva Arena does not support Bluetooth hands-free phone communication.
USB Playback: The rear-panel USB (type-A) port lets connect a USB mass storage class (MSC) device for playback of music files stored on a USB thumbdrive or portable digital audio player. You can also charge your mobile device through the speaker's USB port
Note: The USB port does not support music playback from Apple iPod/iPhone/iPad or Android smartphones/tablets.
Aux Input: The rear-panel Aux (3.5mm) input lets you connect practically any external analog audio device with a headphone jack or analog audio output for music playback through the Riva Arena.
Riva Wand App: The Riva Wand app is a convenient remote control app that can be used to operate the Riva Arena speaker and other Riva Wand Series speakers directly from your Apple iOS 8.0+ or Android OS 4.4+ device. The Riva Wand app guides through an easy setup of your Riva Arena and Riva Wand Series speakers. The Riva Wand app lets you personalize your audio streaming experience and offers advanced features including custom EQ settings and playback from local music sources such as Aux & USB inputs, DLNA music files, and your Apple iOS or Android device's music libraries. You can even use the Riva Wand app to create zones and stream different music from any music app or connected source throughout the home or business.
Top-Panel Controls: Top-panel playback controls include Play/Pause, Previous/Next Track, Input/Source, and Volume Up/Down.
Splash Resistant: The Riva Arena is splash resistant and protected from the splashing of water from any direction.
Note: This speaker is only splash resistant and is not designed to be left outdoors permanently or submerged in water.
Mounting Options: The Riva Arena features integrated non-slip rubber feet that allow it to be placed on a shelf, desk, countertop, nightstand, or many other flat surfaces. The Arena also features a M6 threaded insert which allows it to be wall-mounted using an optional wall-mount bracket (sold separately). Riva recommends placing the speaker approximately 3" to 6" from a corner or wall to take advantage of the natural acoustics of your room.
Power Requirements: The Riva Arena includes a detachable 6' AC power cord which will need to be plugged into an AC outlet, surge protector, or power conditioner.
Note: An optional battery pack (sold separately) provides up to 20 hours of playback at 75dB listening level (battery playback time varies with listening levels).
Away Mode: The Away Mode lets you create your own wireless network of one or more Arena speakers when there is no WiFi network available.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Why did you buy this?
Perfect for the kitchen. Not too large, nice looking, and reportedly great sound. [ John Nov 25, 2017 ]