Limited edition on-ear headphones (Cocobolo wood)
Item # 786GH2 | MFR # GH2 Cocobolo
This item is no longer available.
Our take on the Grado GH2 by Crutchfield's Jeff Miller
Grado used the tropical hardwood cocobolo to make the earcups for the GH2 limited edition headphones.
Special-edition headphones, handcrafted in Brooklyn
I love it when Grado gets experimental. Grado hand-made the earcups for their GH2 on-ear headphones from a rare wood called cocobolo. These headphones are part of their Heritage line, a small-batch series that allows them to mix things up a bit.
Remember, this is a company well-known (and loved) for their tradition. After more than 60 years, the family-owned business still operates out of the same shop in Brooklyn. They also produce their headphones and wooden earcups the same way they always have — largely by hand. So whenever they get to work with new materials — like cocobolo — it's something special and exciting for us audio nerds.
What is cocobolo?
Cocobolo is a tropical hardwood that sports a unique, elegant look. It is used to make wind instruments and guitars, and is known for both its appearance and acoustic properties. Because of its high-density, it produces an active, articulate sound that tends to sparkle in the highs. It also allows for tight, dynamic low end.
Designing the earcups and drivers
Grado shaped the GH2's earcups in a way that highlights cocobolo's acoustic strengths, while taming some of its more challenging sound characteristics. They also custom-designed the drivers, specifically so they would succeed within these hand-made earcups. Like most Grado headphones, the GH2s also use a vented "open-air" earcup design with large, non-resonant air chambers for a more spacious sound.
Over-sized earpads not only keep the headphones comfortable, they also help dampen resonance. The result is well-balanced, true-to-life sound with accurate bass response.
- open-back, on-the-ear design with replaceable ear cushions
- limited run features hand-crafted cocobolo wood earcups
- cocobolo is a tropical hardwood known for its denseness, tonal characteristics, and attractive look
- used to create fine woodwind instruments and guitars
- large cocobolo enclosures and air chambers for natural acoustics
- dynamic drivers purpose-built and voiced specifically for the cocobolo enclosures
- driver pairs matched to within 0.05 dB for better stereo imaging
- ultra-high purity, long-crystal copper (UHPLC) voice coil wire
- vented diaphragms (open-air) for spacious, low-distortion sound and extended bass response
- adjustable leather headband for a custom fit
- ultra-high purity 8-conductor headphone cable terminated with 3.5mm plug
- 1/4" gold-plated adapter
- frequency response: 14-28,000 Hz
- sound pressure level (at 1mW): 99.8 dB
- impedance: 32 ohms
- warranty: 1 year (does not include earpads)
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- On-ear headphones
- 3.5mm-to-1/4" Adapter
- Grado Story sheet
- Warranty sheet
Features and Specs
|Earcup Width x Height|
|Mic For Taking Calls||No|
|Frequency Response||14-28k Hz|
|1/4-inch Adapter Included||Yes|
|Parts Warranty||1 Year|
|Labor Warranty||1 Year|
Overview: The Grado GH2 is a special limited edition headphone from the Heritage Series. The ear cups are made from exquisite Cocobolo wood which originates from Central American rain forests. Cocobolo is known for its density and reddish-brown color with dark, irregular traces throughout the wood. It is used in the making of musical instruments, such as woodwinds and guitars, and has a unique tonal quality. The GH2 has an adjustable headband, and an 8-conductor headphone cable. A 3.5mm-to-1/4" adapter is included for listening to your home audio components.
Drivers: The GH2 features dynamic drivers that are custom built for the cocobolo enclosures. The enclosures have an open-air vented design for a more natural overall sound. For the highest sound quality and stereo imaging, the drivers are matched to within 0.05dB.
Replaceable Cushions: The high-quality foam rubber circum-aural ear cushions can be removed for cleaning, if needed. If they show signs of wear, you can replace them with the Grado Replacement Cushion L.
Note: The headphone's ear cushions are not covered in the manufacturer's one-year warranty.
- Frequency Response: 14Hz to 28kHz
- SPL (1mW): 99.8 dB
- Nominal Impedance: 32 ohms
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.