Monitor Audio IWS-10
Passive in-wall subwoofer
California customers: click here for your Proposition 65 warning.Please
Our take on the Monitor Audio IWS-10 by Crutchfield's Dave Bar
High-performance bass without wasted space
Sure, we all love the hard-hitting excitement that subwoofers add to our movies, video games, and music. But they can also take up valuable real estate in our listening rooms — space we can't always afford to give up. Monitor Audio's IWS-10 subwoofer neatly solves that problem. This powerful subwoofer can be mounted flush into your wall or ceiling to deliver deep, high-impact bass without sacrificing an inch of floor space.
Monitor Audio's IWS-10 in-wall subwoofer serves up powerful bass while blending discreetly into your room.
Discreet, easy-to-install design
The IWS-10 measures less than 4" deep and comes with a trimless, low-profile grille that can be painted to match your interior space. Monitor's Tri-Grip® mounts make it easier to fasten the speaker in your ceiling or wall and ensure a tight seal for better performance.
Advanced technology for great sound
Monitor's ingenious flat-driver design produces low frequencies that may startle you. Borrowing technology from its traditional, high-end cabinet-style speakers, Monitor created the IWS-10's 10" woofer by bonding two layers of ultra-rigid aluminum/magnesium alloy to a honeycomb Nomex core. The driver's exceptionally low mass and great strength allow it to make large excursions without twisting and bending, for accurate, low-distortion bass.
Some important accessories for your sub
The IWS-10's passive design requires a separate amplifier to operate. Monitor Audio's IWA-250 subwoofer amplifier makes an excellent, perfectly matched choice for powering it. This beefy amp can easily drive a single sub for small- to medium-sized rooms, or even dual subs for larger rooms.
With its open back design, the IWS-10 will work as-is in just about any custom in-wall or in-ceiling installation. But for even tighter, more controlled bass performance use it with Monitor's matching IWB-10 back-box.
- 10" RDT® (Rigid Diaphragm Technology) flat-panel woofer with die-cast chassis and basket
- RDT utilizes two layers of C-CAM® (Ceramic-Coated Aluminum/Magnesium) alloy bonded to a honeycomb Nomex core for low mass and great strength
- frequency response 28-120 Hz
- impedance: 8 ohms
- sensitivity: 86 dB
- patented Tri-Grip® clamping system for easier installation and better surface sealing
- paintable bezel and grille
- optimum performance with optional Monitor Audio IWB-10 in-wall back-box enclosure
- cutout: 11"W x 11"H
- mounting depth: 3-1/2"
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- In-wall passive subwoofer
- Grille (pre-installed)
- Installation Guide
- Important Safety Instructions
Monitor Audio IWS-10 Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|Quantity in Package||Single|
|Cutout Size||11 x 11|
|Power Range (Watts)||150|
|Connector Type||Spring post|
In-Wall Passive Subwoofer: The Monitor Audio IWS-10 in-wall passive subwoofer features a flat 10" woofer which incorporates Ceramic-Coated Aluminum/Magnesium (C-CAM) and Rigid Diaphragm Technology (RDT). The result of combining these two technologies is low mass and greater strength that give the woofer the ability to behave as an extremely agile piston, resistant to bending, and light enough to deliver an accurate bass response through large excursions, even within a shallow 3.5625" profile. A large vented pole helps to move air quickly, reducing power compression and heat dissipation.
- Ceramic-Coated Aluminum/Magnesium (C-CAM): Ceramic-Coated Aluminium/Magnesium is a material originally developed by the aerospace industry for jet engine components. Its properties are ideal for loudspeaker cones being extremely rigid, yet light enough to yield high overall efficiency. In manufacture, aluminum/magnesium alloy undergoes a three-stage stress-relieving process to remove surface deformation and molecular weakness. Once formed, the alloy cone is subjected to a high temperature anodic coating process in which a layer of pure ceramic alumina is depleted onto its surfaces to a depth of 50 microns, producing a completely rigid sandwich of alloy and heat-dissipating ceramic material. Conventional cones are liable to flex or twist in operation, producing a significant level of audible distortion. C-CAM cones have a much higher resistance to bending stress and therefore exhibit much greater fidelity over their entire operating range.
- Rigid Diaphragm Technology (RDT): RDT is a unique technology developed specifically by Monitor Audio's engineers. Designed to reduce mass and increase cone stiffness, RDT applies ultra-thin skins of C-CAM to a core of honeycomb Nomex material, creating a structure which is extremely light but incredibly rigid. At only 40 microns thick, the C-CAM skins are half the thickness of a human hair, yet when bonded to the Nomex core they form an RDT cone, which is 150 times more rigid than a single layer of 200 micron C-CAM alloy, but has a fraction of the overall mass. These properties allow the cone to operate as a lightning-fast piston for a clearer more natural sound. The RDT cone's concave geometry has been refined by FEA analysis to provide a smooth frequency response and to eradicate break-up.
Amplifier (Sold Separately): The IWS-10 in-wall passive subwoofer requires the use of Monitor Audio's IWA-250 Class D power amplifier (893IWA250, sold separately). The IWA-250 amplifier is specifically designed to power the IWS-10 passive subwoofer; the result is dynamic bass performance from an in-wall subwoofer.
Mounting Options: Consequently the IWS-10 is specified to generate excellent bass quality from wall, ceiling, even floor locations, providing a wide range of new and retrofit possibilities ideally but not exclusively with its IWB-10 back box.
- Tri-Grip Clamping System: The IWS-10 features Monitor Audio's patented Tri-Grip clamping system which is easier to install and provides 3x the surface area of a conventional dog-leg type clamp for better overall surface sealing. The four Tri-Grip fixings are made from a tough re-enforced polymer, giving a secure installation. The IWS-10 can only be fixed into drywall with a thickness of up to 1.5". Solid wall installation will require channeling out and frame work constructed to provide a structure for the Tri-Grip dog-legs to clamp to.
- Optional Back Box (sold separately): You can also use Monitor Audio's IWB-10 in-wall back box (893IWB10, sold separately) to mount the IWS-10 in the wall. The IWB-10 in-wall box is designed specifically for the IWS-10 to provide easy installation and optimum performance. The IWB-10 is a sealed pre-construction back box, built from MDF and laminated with a rugged black Sandex vinyl finish. The IWB-10 is designed to fit between standard 14" stud spacing or 16" on-center.
Trimless Grille: The IWS-10 in-wall sub features a "Trimless" steel-mesh grille that covers the entire speaker for a true trimless, stealth look. TThe IWS-10's trim-less grille and frame edge are paintable to blend discreetly with your room's decor.
Spring-Post Terminals: The Monitor Audio IWS-10 is fitted with two spring-post terminals to connect your speaker wire. The spring-post terminals will accept bare wire (up to 10AWG), single banana plugs, and angled pin-connectors.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Why did you buy this?
Ease of installation, Monitor Audio's reputation for excellent sound quality and low frequency extension for such a small footprint. [ CHRIS Oct 20, 2016 ]
I own one and am adding a second one and the amp to drive them. I like that they are invisible. [ SCOTT A Apr 12, 2016 ]
2 questions already asked
The Monitor Audio IWS-10 is a passive in-wall subwoofer that would require a separate amplifier to drive it. For more details on that, you would be better off reaching out to an Advisor directly by phone (1-800-324-9695) or online chat. They can help you find an appropriate amplifier, or go over alternate solutions that work with what you already have. [ Larry Jan 19, 2017 ] Staff
I own a pair of these and the amplifier that is made for them. While they are an investment, they offer a powerfull, full, warm low end to my listening environment. I highly recommend them. [ SCOTT A Jan 02, 2017 ]