Powered sound bar with 4K/HDR video passthrough, DTS Play-Fi® and Anthem Room Correction
MartinLogan Cadence - Drivers angled to provide wide soundstage with dedicated left, right, and center channel
MartinLogan Cadence - Includes a calibration mic that connects to your computer to automatically adjust the sound bar's settings to your room.
MartinLogan Cadence - Wireless transmitter for adding a compatible MartinLogan wireless subwoofer (sold separately)
Our take on the MartinLogan Cadence by Crutchfield's Jeff Miller
Anthem Room Correction (ARC) technology optimizes the Cadence's sound for your room — wherever you end up placing your TV.
Tasteful looks, bold home theater sound
I hate to admit it, but my mother-in-law is right: You can't always plan your living room décor around your home theater setup. The best spot for your TV may not be ideal for sound — or maybe you don't want speakers all over the room. That's where the high-performance MartinLogan Cadence sound bar fits in.
The Cadence sports a low-key look and sits neatly below your flat screen, either wall-mounted or on a stand. It has several 4K/HDR-ready HDMI ports for connecting the latest gear. And this single, luxury-brand bar is powerful enough to fill large rooms with robust sound.
Powerful drivers deliver spacious, gripping sound
For open floor plans and larger spaces, I find that premium sound bars like the Cadence usually work best. Two reasons. The first reason is build quality — solid, high-grade parts won't rattle or vibrate as much when you turn up the volume. And you can tell MartinLogan constructed this bar with great care. They've laid out the nine full-range drivers to create a wider soundstage that can even simulate surround sound.
A rigid cabinet and angled full-range drivers create strong sound with dedicated left, right, and center channels.
That brings us to reason #2: Pure power — a must for a truly believable home theater. MartinLogan powers each of the nine drivers with its own dedicated amplifier. That gives you better dynamics, clear dialogue, and extra sonic punch that can really cut through, even in acoustically challenging open rooms.
Anthem Room Correction (ARC) tailors the sound to your space
The Cadence features Anthem's advanced ARC speaker calibration system — one of the best I've ever used. This special processing tames problems caused by sound reflecting off of hard surfaces and furniture in your specific room.
ARC runs on a Windows PC with the included calibrated microphone. Apple users can also download the ARC Mobile app for iOS® and use your iPhone's internal mic to capture and measure your room reflections. I've seen ARC dial in the sound of many speakers — both at my house and here at work. It really smoothed out unruly low frequencies in Crutchfield's large training room, resulting in balanced, more detailed bass.
Control music in every room with DTS Play-Fi
Since many of us use sound bars as our main music system, MartinLogan loaded this bar with options. There's built-in Bluetooth® and Apple AirPlay®, but the headliner is DTS Play-Fi. It lets you play music wirelessly on the Cadence sound bar, and also other Play-Fi speakers throughout your home. You control it all with the DTS Play-Fi app on your phone or tablet.
The app gives you access to your music downloads — including high-quality lossless files. You can also dial up songs from music services like Spotify®, Pandora®, and SiriusXM, plus over 37,000 internet radio stations. You can send the same song to other Play-Fi devices or play a different song in every room. You can even mix and match Play-Fi devices from different brands.
- powered five-channel home theater sound bar with wireless music playback
- DTS Play-Fi allows for easy app control and streaming music to multiple Play-Fi speakers in different rooms
- Play-fi surround mode lets you use two Play-Fi speakers as wireless surrounds (sold separately)
- Anthem Room Correction (ARC) technology optimizes sound bar's sound to your room
- included calibration mic captures the room's reflections and other sound challenges
- mic connects to your laptop via USB (Windows® required)
- free ARC mobile app for iOS® devices lets you use the internal mic on your iPhone®
- nine dedicated amplifiers (one per driver) delivering 135 watts RMS total system power
- nine 2-1/2" high-excursion cone drivers for powerful, full-range sound
- drivers angled to provide wide soundstage with dedicated left, right, and center channel
- Dolby® Digital and DTS® surround decoding, with digital signal processing for simulated 5.1 surround sound
- built-in Bluetooth for wireless music streaming from compatible smartphones, tablets, and computers
- Apple AirPlay® for streaming from compatible Apple devices and computers running iTunes®
- wireless transmitter for adding a compatible MartinLogan wireless subwoofer (sold separately)
DTS Play-Fi Software:
- built-in dual-band Wi-Fi allows connection to your wireless home network and wireless communication with other Play-Fi devices (recommended maximum of 16 devices on a network)
- allows speaker to communicate with other Play-Fi components and speakers
- free Play-Fi app for Apple, Android, Kindle, and Windows PC offers easy music selection and playback
- plays music stored on device
- supports Spotify Connect, Pandora, SiriusXM, TIDAL, and thousands of free internet radio stations (subscription required for some services)
- DLNA support for streaming music from compatible networked computers and NAS drives
- play the same music in multiple rooms simultaneously, or select songs individually for each room
- easy wireless setup using your smartphone, tablet, or PC
- plays MP3, M4A, FLAC, and WAV files; sampling rates up to 24-bit/192kHz
- not compatible with protected files with digital rights management (DRM)
Connections and General Info:
- 3 HDMI inputs
- HDCP 2.2 compatible for connecting to 4K video sources
- support 4K video with high dynamic range (HDR) and HDMI-CEC
- 1 HDMI output with Audio Return Channel (ARC)
- 2 optical digital audio inputs
- 2 analog RCA stereo audio inputs
- mono RCA subwoofer output for adding a powered subwoofer (not included)
- black anodized aluminum remote
- frequency response: 65-20,000 Hz (±3dB)
- 46-1/16"W x 3-1/2"H x 5"D
- weight: 12.7 lbs.
- warranty: 2 years (with product registration)
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- Active soundbar speaker
- 6.5' AC power cord
- Two "AAA" batteries
- Subwoofer wireless receiver (SWT-SB)
- AC power adapter (attached 58" DC cord)
- AC power plug
- Auto-calibration microphone
- 6.5" miniUSB-to-USB cable (for ARC)
- 8' IR emitter cable
- 12" Stereo minijack cable
- 2 Shoulder bolts
- Quick Start Guide
- User's Manual
- Wall-Mount Template
- Warranty Registration Card
Scratch & Dent items may be missing non-essential accessories. In some cases the manufacturer's accessories have been replaced with generic equivalents.
MartinLogan Cadence Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
Features and Specs
|Pieces in System||1|
|Midrange||2.5" Cone (9)|
|Subwoofer Driver||Not Given|
|Surround Sound Decoding||5.1-channel|
|4K Video Compatible||Yes|
|HDR Video Compatible||No|
|Audio Return Channel||Yes|
|Remote IR Passthrough||No|
|Works with TV Remote (IR)||Yes|
|Control by App||N|
|Bluetooth Connectivity||Built-in (4.2)|
|Mounting Bracket Included||Yes|
|Surface Mount Stand Included||No|
|Speaker Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Speaker Labor Warranty||2 Years|
|Amplifier Parts Warranty||2 Years|
|Amplifier Labor Warranty||2 Years|
|System Frequency Response||65-20k Hz|
|Sound Bar RMS Power||135W|
|Subwoofer RMS Power||N/A|
|Inputs and Outputs|
|Mini Stereo Audio Inputs||None|
|RCA Stereo Audio Inputs||2|
|Optical Digital Audio Inputs||2|
|Coaxial Digital Audio Inputs||None|
|Sound Bar (inches)||3-1/2H x 46-1/8W x 5D|
|Sound Bar Weight||12.7 lbs|
|Subwoofer (inches)||No Subwoofer|
Nine Full-Range Drivers w/ Nine Channels of Amplification: The MartinLogan Cadence active soundbar speaker is equipped with nine 2.5" high-excursion, full-range drivers housed in a non-resonant asymmetrical sealed cabinet for detailed, accurate sound. Each driver receives 15 watts of power from the built-in 135W/9Ch amplifier for dynamic, well-balanced sound.
Advanced Digital Signal Processing: Advanced digital signal processing technology allows MartinLogan to replace five dedicated home theater speakers with a one piece solution capable of reproducing multi-channel recordings with unflinching accuracy, resolution, and detail. The Cadence reproduces front left, right, and center channels via the system's multi-driver array, while the surround channels are simulated using sophisticated digital signal processing that directs sound from the system's multi-driver array throughout the room for an immersive home theater surround sound experience.
Note: This soundbar will not decode Dolby TrueHD ,DTS-HD Master Audio, Dolby Atmos, or DTS:X.
HDMI 2.0a: The MartinLogan Cadence is equipped with three HDMI 2.0a inputs and one HDMI 2.0a output with ARC (Audio Return Channel) support. The HDMI jacks offer up to 4K/60Hz video pass-through and are HDCP 2.2 compatible, plus support up to 5.1ch Dolby Digital & DTS audio.
- 4K/60Hz Pass-Through: The Cadence lets you maintain 4K/60Hz quality from source to screen by allowing 4K/60Hz video to "pass-through" and be displayed on your 4K TV or projector, without compromising image quality. Giving you the pure 4K experience makes this soundbar the perfect partner for 4K-capable TVs and Ultra-HD Blu-ray players. 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, and 1080p video signal are also supported.
- HDCP 2.2: HDCP 2.2 is supported by all of the soundbar's HDMI jacks. HDCP 2.2 is short for "High bandwidth Digital Content Protection" and is used for 4K video copyright protection for compatibility with Ultra HD Blu-ray players and 4K Satellite/Cable providers.
- ARC (Audio Return Channel): HDMI ARC (Audio Return
Channel) means audio is also carried back to the soundbar from your ARC
compatible TV through the soundbar's HDMI output, without the need for an
extra audio cable. Every device connected to your TV can now be heard
through the soundbar system, so you can hear all of your audio in high
Note: Because with many televisions, the ARC-enabled HDMI input will only pass 2ch PCM from devices connected to the TV via HDMI or analog, we recommend that you connect your Blu-ray player, Satellite/Cable box, or Gaming console to the Cadence directly; and then connect the Cadence's ARC-enabled HDMI output to your TV's ARC-enabled HDMI input. This setup will give you with the best overall sound performance.
Digital & Analog Inputs: The MartinLogan Cadence is outfitted with both digital & analog inputs. The Cadence is equipped with two optical (toslink) digital inputs that support 5.1ch Dolby Digital/DTS and 2ch PCM. The soundbar speaker also features two stereo RCA inputs.
Note: The digital optical output terminals of many newer flat-panel TVs only send an audio signal in 5.1ch when receiving Dolby Digital/DTS surround sound from the TV's built-in tuner, network connection, or connected USB device; and will output only 2ch stereo from sources connected to the TV via HDMI, or RCA (like your Blue-ray/DVD player or satellite/cable box).
Anthem Room Correction (ARC): Anthem Room Correction (ARC) Technology uses an exclusive calibration microphone and advanced DSP algorithms in conjunction with Windows PC ARC software (for 7/8.1/10) to quickly and easily optimize speaker performance in any room. You can also use the Anthem ARC Mobile app (for Apple iOS 9.2+) and your iPhone's internal microphone. In just a few easy steps the microphone measures sound output, compares it to scientifically optimal response curves, and instantly tunes the soundbar speaker's output for perfect sound. The Cadence and your Windows PC or Apple iOS device running the ARC software must be on the same wired or wireless network.
Audio Settings: The MartinLogan Cadence offers a variety of audio adjustments through it menu system.
- Surround Mode: You can set how the soundbar's simulated surround sound function handles multichannel audio. Select On (to activate simulated 5.1ch surround), Off (to downmix to 3.1ch simulated surround), or +6dB (to boost simulated surround channels by 6dB for extra output).
- Stereo Mode: You can set how the soundbar reproduces 2ch audio. Select Wide (to create a wider stereo image), Voice+ (to simulate a center channel from left & right channels), or Normal (to reproduce traditional 2ch stereo sound).
- Bass Mode: Bass mode lets you adjust the bass equalization of the soundbar. elect Night mode (to dial down the bass), Bass+ mode (to emphasize the bass), or Normal mode (to restore normal levels).
- Power-On Volume: Program the soundbar to turn on to a specific volume level (-90DB to +10dB) or the last volume level set when it was turned off.
Remote Control: The MartinLogan Cadence includes an IR remote control, features two IR output jacks, and comes with an IR emitter. There are also controls located on the side-panel of the sounbar.
- IR Remote: The included IR remote provides wireless operation of the Cadence soundbar. This simple remote control quickly adjusts volume and selects inputs. The remote also allows you to easily adjust menu settings. In addition, you can program your TV's remote to operate the soundbar's Power & Volume.
- IR Outputs & Emitter: Two rear-panel 3.5mm IR output jacks accept IR emmiters (one IR emmiter is included with the soundbar). Plug the IR emitter into either of the soundbar's IR output jacks and place the other end of the IR emitter over the IR sensor on another piece of equipment. The use of the IR emitter allows the soundbar to pass IR signals from any remote control to a tethered device, allowing control of equipment in locations a remote would normally not reach.
LCD Screen: The active soundbar features an LCD screen which indicates Input Source & Name, Volume Level, Audio Codec, & ARC status. The front-panel display can be set to Bright or Dim.
Mounting Options: MartinLogan's Cadence soundbar perfectly complements flat screen televisions measuring 50" and larger. Its low-profile design is ideal for tabletop placement or wall-mounting. It should be centered directly above or below your TV. The soundbar menu allows you to optimize acoustic performance for either "on-wall" or "on-shelf" installations.
- Tabletop: The Cadence soundbar can be simply placed directly on top of a flat surface, like a shelf, stand, or other piece of AV furniture.
- Wall-Mount: A bracket is included to mount the soundbar to the wall, above or below your TV. Mounting screws not included.
Optional Subwoofer: It's easy to add a powered subwoofer and more bass to the MartinLogan Cadence, thanks to the soundbar's built-in wireless transmitter and the included wireless receiver. Up to a 45' wireless range allows flexible subwoofer placement in any room. Works with any powered subwoofer that has an LFE or RCA input. In addition, the Cadence is equipped with a mono-RCA subwoofer output for connecting a wired powered subwoofer.
Note: The included wireless receiver comes with an AC power adapter which will need to be plugged into an AC wall outlet.
Optional Wireless Rear Speakers: You can use a pair DTS Play-Fi wireless speakers (sold separately) as rear surround speakers. The wireless rear speaker setup is done through the DTS Play-Fi app. It is highly recommended that the wireless rear surround speakers be placed on the 5GHz band of a dual band AC router.
Detachable AC Power Cord: The MartinLogan Cadence comes with a detachable AC power cord which must be plugged into an AC wall outlet, surge protector, or power conditioner.
Auto Standby: The active soundbar will turn itself off after no audio signal is detected for approximately 20 minutes. When the soundbar detects an audio signal, it will immediately turn itself on.
Firmware Updates: A rear-panel USB (type-A) port is used for performing firmware updates that have been downloaded from the MartinLogan website onto a USB thumbdrive.
DTS Play-Fi Wireless Technology: MartinLogan's Cadence employs DTS Play-Fi wireless technology for wireless sound that is reliable and high-quality. DTS Play-Fi combines DTS audio and WiFi wireless technology to wirelessly stream high-definition "lossless" audio with no impact on sound quality. DTS Play-Fi will stream pure, bit-for-bit, lossless audio, for uncompromised quality sound; up to 16-bit/48kHz. DTS Play-Fi has a range of up to 100' from your wireless router.
Note: All DTS Play-Fi enabled products work seamlessly together, so there's no hassle adding more speakers, or choosing more than one audio brand like Klipsch, MartinLogan, Definitive Technology, Polk Audio, Phorus, Wren, etc..) in your home.
Wired or Wireless Network Connection: The MartinLogan Cadence along with DTS Play-Fi uses your home's network for whole-house audio entertainment. The Cadence connects to your home's wireless network via WiFi (802.11 a/b/g/n; 2.4/5GHz); a dual-band "N" or better router is recommended for the most reliable wireless network connection. For a wired connection, the Cadence soundbar speaker features an Ethernet RJ-45 jack to connect the speaker to your home's network.
Simple Setup: There are two methods for connecting the DTS Play-Fi active soundbar speaker to your home network. You can perform WiFi setup via the free DTS Play-Fi on your Apple iOS/Android mobile device or Windows PC (this setup allows you to connect multiple Play-Fi device at once to your network). You can also use the WPS button on the speaker if your wireless router supports WPS (this setup only allows you to connect one Play-Fi device at a time to your network).
DTS Play-Fi App: Download the free DTS Play-Fi app onto your Apple iOS (8.0+) device, Android (4.0+) smartphone/tablet, or Windows (7/8/8.1/10) PC for easy and convenient management of your music from your mobile device or computer. From the app you can initially set up the Cadence soundbar speaker system, as well as add, link, and control all your DTS Play-Fi speakers. You'll be able stream music directly from the system's built-in music online services, or music on your mobile device or PC to multiple DTS Play-Fi enabled speakers through out your home. The app lets you browse your music by artist, album, genre, or title; and provides album art. You can choose to play the same music in each zone or a different song in each room.
Variety of Music Sources: The Cadence active soundbar speaker system with DTS Play-Fi supports a variety of music sources that can be streamed to the Cadence and other DTS Play-Fi speakers.
- Mobile Device (Apple iOS + Android): You are able to wirelessly stream stored music and music apps on your Apple iOS (8.0+) or Android (4.0+) device to the active soundbar speaker through the free DTS Play-Fi
- Online Music Services: From the DTS Play-Fi app on your mobile device or computer, you can share and listen to Pandora, Spotify Connect, SiriusXM, TIDAL, Amazon Music, iHeartRadio, Napster, and Internet Radio. While the DTS Play-Fi app is free, not all the online music services are (subscription & purchase fees may apply).
- Computer Audio: The Cadence is DLNA compliant for playback of various music files stored on your Windows PC (7/8/8.1/10) or DLNA-certified NAS drives connected to your home network. MAC OSX computers and laptops require third party software to be visible on the network (Twonky, Plex, Servio etc.) as they do not support DLNA. Use the DTS Play-Fi app on your mobile device or computer to access these music files.
Supported Music Files: The Cadence soundbar speaker system with DTS Play-Fi supports music formats such as MP3, AAC, FLAC, and WAV. The system will recognize music files up to 24-bit/192kHz and wirelessly stream these files at up to 16-bit/48kHz (CD quality sound). Some down-sampling may occur to ensure virtually lossless distribution throughout a home network.
Critical Listening Mode: For those who wish to hear high resolution audio as originally intended, Critical Listening mode will enable native rendering of high resolution files up to 24-bit/96kHz, with no down-sampling or network synchronization adjustment. In this way, audio files retain their original audio integrity. Critical Listening Mode is only available on one DTS Play-Fi speaker and not supported for multiroom audio distribution.
Multiroom Audio: You can play the same source in each zone or a different song in each room. Eight separate wireless source devices (smartphones, tablets, etc.), each with its own source, are supported simultaneously and any wireless source device can stream to eight DTS Play-Fi playback devices. Due to the bandwidth limitations of most wireless networks, no more than 16 wireless DTS Play-Fi products on a single WiFi network at one given time is recommended. Supported multiroom audio sources include -
- Stored music and music apps on your Apple iOS or Android device with the DTS Play-Fi App installed.
- DTS Play-Fi online music services (like Pandora, Spotify, SiriusXM, Tidal, Amazon, iHeart, Napster) and internet radio.
- Music libraries from your Windows PC or Mac computer.
Note: Bluetooth, AirPlay, HDMI, Optical digital, and Analog input sources are not supported for multiroom audio playback.
Point-to-Point Wireless Streaming Sources: In addition to DTS Play-Fi, the Cadence active soundbar speaker also supports AirPlay for Apple iOS devices and Bluetooth for most Bluetooth-enabled source devices. AirPlay and Bluetooth can only be streamed directly to the Cadence soundbar speaker and cannot be streamed to other DTS Play-Fi speakers in a multiroom application.
- AirPlay (for Apple iOS): AirPlay lets you stream music directly from your iPod touch/iPhone/iPad or from your iTunes library on your PC or Mac computer to the MartinLogan Cadence, over your home network connection. By downloading Apple free Remote App onto your iPod touch/iPhone/iPad you don't even need to be in the same room as the Crescendo or your computer to play, pause, skip, and stop the songs in your iTunes music library. To use the AirPlay feature you need a Mac or Windows-based PC running iTunes (10.2.2 or later) connected to your wireless home network. Your iPod touch/iPhone/iPad must have iOS 4.3.3 or later installed and connected to the same wireless home network.
- Bluetooth Music Streaming: The MartinLogan Cadence is equipped with built-in Bluetooth 4.2 with support for wireless audio streaming, allowing you to stream stored music and music apps from your smartphone, tablet, computer, or laptop to the active soundbar speaker system. In addition to Bluetooth standard SBC codec, the Cadence offers support for aptX to insure the highest possible sound quality over Bluetooth. aptX delivers CD-like (16-bit/48kHz) audio quality from aptX compatible devices, like many Android smartphones & tablets. Only one device can be paired and connected to the soundbar at one time. The Cadence does not support playback control or song/artist/album info display. You will still use your Bluetooth source device to control music playback and to view song/artist/album information.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Why did you buy this?
Reviews were overwhelmingly positive [ Daniel Oct 02, 2017 ]