Surface-mount infrared sensor (Black)
Our take on the Niles MS220 by Crutchfield's Amanda P.
This small IR (infrared) sensor works as part of an IR repeater system, letting you control audio/video components concealed inside a cabinet or hidden in another room. It picks up commands from your audio/video system's remote control. The MS220's tiny size and built-in adhesive strip allow for flexible placement on the front of your component cabinet, for example, or on your TV's bezel.
To complete your IR repeater system, you'll also need:
- An IR hub: The hub accepts the IR signals from the MS220 sensor, and passes the instructions on to your A/V gear via IR flashers.
- IR flashers: The IR hub passes the commands from the MS220 to these infrared light-emitting devices, which in turn control your components.
- Infrared cable to wire your IR repeater system (10 feet included).
- receiving range: 20' to 35' (depending on the strength of your remote)
- LCD- and plasma-proof sensor design works near flat-panel TVs
- works near fluorescent lighting or indirect sunlight
- wide-angle reception
- bi-color LED confirms the reception of an IR command and the on/off status of your A/V system
- passes high data rate IR code formats, including Phillips RCMM codes
- 10 feet of IR cable included
- 11/16"W x 2"H x 1/2"D
- warranty: 2 years
- Our 60-day money-back guarantee
What's in the Box:
- Black MS220 surface-mount IR sensor with attached 10' black IR cable (4-conductor tinned bare wire on the end)
- Installation and Operation Guide
Works Great Best I Had yet
Anonymous, FL, Miami
Niles MS220 Reviews
Average Customer Review(s):
Thanks for submitting your review
IR System Overview: An infrared (IR) extender system enables you to control your IR remote controlled A/V equipment from a remote location. This enables you to place your A/V components out of sight (behind cabinet doors, in the rear of a room, or in a different room) and still conveniently control your equipment.
IR System Components: The MS220 miniature surface-mount IR sensor is one of three elements that make up an infrared extender system:
- IR Main System Unit (sold separately): The IR Main System Unit provides a connection hub for the IR sensors and the IR flashers and is generally located near the A/V components. The Main System Unit's level controls and LED indicators enable you to calibrate and troubleshoot an IR extender system. The Main System Unit is the "heart" of an IR extender system.
- IR Sensors: IR Sensors are the "eyes" of the system, receiving IR commands from hand-held remote controls and relaying the commands to the Main System Unit via a 4-conductor shielded cable. Generally, sensors are placed so that you can easily and naturally point your remote control directly at them. Sensors are available in wall-mount, ceiling-mount, surface-mount and table-top models.
- Keypad (sold separately): The IntelliPad is a wall-mounted, programmable IR keypad system that provides a unique LED power status display and the convenience of true one-button remote control of complex audio/video systems.
- IR Flashers (sold separately): IR Flashers re-transmit the infrared signals from the IR Main System Unit to your A/V components. Flashers are the "voice" of an IR extender system that "speaks" to your components.
Universal Compatibility: When used in a complete system, this IR sensor is compatible with virtually all brands of A/V equipment and remote controls using carrier frequencies of between 25kHz and 90kHz. The MS220 is also compatible with the recently introduced Philips RCMM codes.
Universal Noise Suppression: The sensor has a patent-pending Universal Noise Suppression design that effectively eliminates IR interference from plasma and LCD TVs, CFL (fluorescent) lighting, and direct sunlight. This two-stage technology combines an optical noise filter with a "smart" electronic circuit to provide consistent, reliable control.
IR Receiving Range: You get 20' to 35' of remote control range, depending upon the strength of your handheld remote. The IR pickup angle is 30° off-axis (horizontal and vertical) at 25 feet.
Bi-colored LED: The LED glows green when the system is on and flashes blue to confirm reception of IR commands.
Mounting: The MS220 is designed to surface-mount almost anywhere with its self-adhesive backing. Convenient mounting locations for the MS220 include: on the front panel of a television set, on the front surface of a wall, a cabinet, an appliance, or a speaker grille.
Wiring: The MS220 connects to the Niles infrared main systems unit (or IRH610 sensor expansion hub) with an individual "home run" of Category 5 ("Cat 5") cable. When running wires inside walls, most states and municipalities usually require the wire to have a specific "CL" fire rating. Please consult your local building inspection department for requirements in your area.
Our Product Research Team
At Crutchfield, you'll get detailed, accurate information that's hard to find elsewhere. That's because we have our own in-house Product Research team. They verify what’s in the box, check the owner's manual, and record dimensions, features and specs. We stay on top of new products and technologies to help people make informed choices.
Why did you buy this?
I need a spare [ Ronnie Nov 14, 2017 ]
Appears to be of high quality. Excellent literature explaining what product does and how to use it with other component Niles products. [ Ronald May 19, 2017 ]